Author Topic: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?  (Read 28126 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
I want to buy a new Tv and I'm thinking about getting a 4K. Problem is,  there is gaming console supporting this. (Although I expect the PlayStaion 4k sometime in the next 12 months). Nintendo hasen't been first in resolution in quite some time, if ever and I'm sure the resources needed to do 4K/30fps with graphics in the realm of current gen would be around a ps4 with 16GB of DDR5. I'm sure Nintendo magic is scalable and maybe possible with 8GB DDR5 and a card 305 faster than a 7870.

NX Home = 3840 x 2160p Yes/No?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:49:01 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
If Nintendo wants to sell consoles, yes. The Nvidia Shield supports 4K (in fact it was designed for 4K) and it's $200. Having said that, I don't think anyone can qualify any assumption right now...and PS4/Xbone could support 4k too, not necessarily for gaming, but at least for video. No need for a new console.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
I didn't think the Hdmi in either the ps4/one were capable of 4K. News to me

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
Doubt it, 4k gaming is still along ways off for consoles.  Hell I'll be happy with 1080P/60FPS.  So unless you plan on watching movies/sports or hooking up an gaming PC, then a 4k TV might be a poor investment.  Give it two years and those $2500 sets would be less than $500 and you'll still be "console" gaming at subpar 1080P :(.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
4K TVs are already getting that cheap. There will be several ~50" sets for $500 or less on Black Friday. Xbox One and PS4 only support HDMI 1.4, so they can output at 4K, 30FPS, so they'd be fine for Netflix or YouTube, etc. Even if they added true 4K support and could output *some* games at (consistent) 4K 30FPS, I'm sure lots of people would be happy.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »
Saw a 55" 4K display for Black Friday for around $700. Samsung I think. Netflix 4K sounds promising...wait HDMI 1.4? I'm pretty sure Wii U has HDMI 1.4.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »
No.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Yes, but the Wii U likely doesn't have the horsepower to support 4K video output - it also doesn't have the network support (2.4Ghz only).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
maybe Netflix support for 4k when Netflix supports it. Games...probably not.

Maybe playing classic games too. Like for some reason the system gets Quake 2 and in 4k but its Quake 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQZGGTsM1A
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Netflix has done 4K for a while. The Wii U can't provide consistent speed, or even the required transfer rate (25Mbps for 4K Netflix, Wii U can only do around 11Mbps from everything I've seen).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
It probably won't support 4K at launch, but might eventually with an expansion pack.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Do we honestly need 4K televisions in life? Like, what is the benefit?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
It looks good.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
It keeps television manufacturers in business.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
I didn't think 4k would be that much better until the first time I saw a 4k TV. 1080p is very nice, but 4k is stunning. No one *need* it, no one needs TV or video games at all, but the difference is pretty big. 4x 1080p resolution, 24x 480p.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:30:02 PM by Brandogg »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Because what's the point of living in a first world country?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
Don't want an NX unless it can run a 4K in under an hour.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
The only spec that matters is how many parsecs it takes to do the Kessel Run.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
While I don't "need" 4K, I don't wanna buy a Tv thats already outdated when I can buy something that wont change for at least 5+ years. I know 8K is out there but thats crazy talk.

As for the topic: After doing the hard math, not only do I expect the NX to do 4K, I expect it right out the box and preloaded with 4K demos to Show off just how "NextGen this system is.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
Funniest thread I've read in a while.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »
Old Nintendo I would say not a fat chance, but new Nintendo, slim chance but still not sure. I don't even have a 1080p TV at the moment so my next upgrade is not going to b 4K. I would love to have one but you know money and all that.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
Nintendo should have supported HD on the Wii.  They talked about how HDTVs were not yet common in homes when they launched but it was like everyone bought a HDTV about a year later.  It really shows how much mainstream appeal a game like Wii Sports had to overcome something like that.  It was like their vision of "futureproofing" only extended six months.

So if they didn't not have HD on the Wii they would have made the specs more comparable to the competition so they wouldn't have also skimped on the specs on the Wii U and then they wouldn't be in the huge mess they're in now.  Both console designs suggested no foresight on the part of Nintendo and they got around it once and it bit them in the ass the second time.

So should they support 4K?  If it's the way things are going then yes they should.  And I don't mean where things are going within a year I mean within five or six years so it actually matches the lifespan of the product.  This seems like a very simple and obvious way to go about things but Nintendo hasn't done it in, hell, almost 20 years.  They've been incredibly bad at predicting tech trends since the N64.  And usually the "predicting" means simply observing what your competition is doing.  None of this is hard.  Consoles are not really high tech by the standards of technology in general.  CDs, online, and HD were all obvious trends that had been anticipated for years before videogame consoles supported them.

So they should support 4K but I don't expect them to.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
4k is basically the equivalent to Laser Disc and Blu Ray.  Yes to the hardcore tech nuts it's better but for the average consumer they can't tell the difference and the price is never going to get them to upgrade when many just upgraded to HD and if they want a new one they'll just get the cheaper HD ones instead.

That's why it's very doubtful Nintendo will support it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
4k is basically the equivalent to Laser Disc and Blu Ray.  Yes to the hardcore tech nuts it's better but for the average consumer they can't tell the difference and the price is never going to get them to upgrade when many just upgraded to HD and if they want a new one they'll just get the cheaper HD ones instead.

That's why it's very doubtful Nintendo will support it.

This I agree with entirely, I upgraded to HD early on, relatively that is, but it took forever for content to catch up and they were releasing them in stages so it felt like the next one was just going to be for the snobs where as everyone else was just happy with something that looked good for a change. I can't hardly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p without really looking at side side comparisions, HD is HD to most people. This 4K ultra HD is overkill.

I also don't buy Blu ray hardly at all, not because DVD is good enough and I don't see a different though, thats more price and for most stuff DVD is still good enough. A movie has to be really amazing for the special features are what will draw me to a BR over a DVD. If NX doesn't at least support disc playback of DVD movies and blu ray, assuming it has those drives, then I will be disappointed but not a deal break this time around.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
Even on PS4 and Xbox One games are having a hard time even hitting true 1080p at a good frame rate, so I doubt any game console would take advantage of 4K resolution for anything other than playing video in the foreseeable future, and I doubt Nintendo would go out of their way to support something that would only be used for that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
With all this "can't tell the difference" stuff you figure someone had resurrected a thread from 2006.  That same excuse was repeated ad nauseam to justify Nintendo's decision to not support HD on the Wii.  HD caught on and people noticed the difference.

If 4K seriously has no chance to get anywhere then Nintendo doesn't have to worry about it but I don't trust their instincts for these sorts of things.  I think the easiest way to determine what to do is to look at the other consoles.  Do the PS4 and XB1 support it or have the ability to support it later via a patch?  If so the NX has to do the same.  When has "everyone else has _______ except Nintendo" ever worked out in Nintendo's favour?  Colour screen handhelds is the only one I can think of.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »
You're the last person who should be calling anyone out for repeating stuff.

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
With all this "can't tell the difference" stuff you figure someone had resurrected a thread from 2006.  That same excuse was repeated ad nauseam to justify Nintendo's decision to not support HD on the Wii.  HD caught on and people noticed the difference.

If 4K seriously has no chance to get anywhere then Nintendo doesn't have to worry about it but I don't trust their instincts for these sorts of things.  I think the easiest way to determine what to do is to look at the other consoles.  Do the PS4 and XB1 support it or have the ability to support it later via a patch?  If so the NX has to do the same.  When has "everyone else has _______ except Nintendo" ever worked out in Nintendo's favour?  Colour screen handhelds is the only one I can think of.

I didn't say people can't tell the different between SD and HD, most people surely can, I said most people can't tell the difference between 720p and higher but 4K is, to most people, overkill. Not saying in a store with proper equipment it doesn't look good but it doesn't look so much better than what we were recently sold on as HD in the last few years.

Not supporting HD for Wii was a mistake but skipping 4K on NX, or whatever follows for that matter, is not going to matter.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
"everyone else has _______ except Nintendo" ever worked out in Nintendo's favour?
When that blank was "high rate of system failure." Or at least, it should have been a bigger deal...

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
I also don't buy that going SD for the Wii was such a big problem. It bothered the enthusiast community, but the brunt of the Wii consumer base either didn't notice or didn't care. The issue was moreso that Nintendo didn't have the WiiU (or whatever you think it should have been) out earlier, before the Wii brand cratered. I'll also note that at one point Microsoft stopped bundling HDMI cords with the 360 because they determined that a large majority of users didn't use them or used them in addition to the SD plugs and weren't aware they weren't looking at HD output.

It's possible the PS5/XBWO will have 4K support for limited applications outside of videos (perhaps about on the level of 3D on the PS3), but that'll be in four or five years and isn't something Nintendo should worry about for the NX. 4K TVs will probably become "standard" in that any new TV you can buy will be "4K" but looking at the lackluster performance of Blurays and the ascendancy of streaming, plus the still badly lagging roll-out of fiber in the US, I doubt 4K will have nearly the impact of 1080 in a relevant timeframe.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
I also don't buy that going SD for the Wii was such a big problem. It bothered the enthusiast community, but the brunt of the Wii consumer base either didn't notice or didn't care. The issue was moreso that Nintendo didn't have the WiiU (or whatever you think it should have been) out earlier, before the Wii brand cratered.

Yep, the Wii was still the dominate home console until the end of 2010, that's 4 years after it came out.  Had the Wii U been ready for a 2011 launch then Nintendo literally would have timed it perfectly with an HD system replacing their out of date SD at the exact moment the system finally died out.

Of course much of this had to do with Nintendo shifting resources to the 3DS and upcoming Wii U so the lack of HD wasn't even close to what eventually brought the Wii down.  The Wii died because Nintendo literally stopped supporting it since they were moving on to newer ones.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
Who are these people who can't tell the difference between 720p and 4k? Maybe on a small TV from a good distance away, but on anything substantial at a decent viewing distance it's very obvious. Even on a 5" phone screen 720p to 1080p is obvious (higher resolutions not so much).

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
Here is my question do we really need 4K gaming at this moment?  I'm serious.  We aren't even pushing home 4K cinematic experiences yet.  television with 4K is going to be killer on bandwidth and Blu-Ray discs can do it, however is there anyone complaining that they NEED this? 

Gaming makes things even more questionable.  Right now gaming companies are complaining that the cost of making current HD games is too expensive that if the game isn't a mega hit they will lose money.  Won't 4K gaming just make this worse?  Won't it mean even higher production values and time rendering everything?  Will 4K gaming also push gaming backwards as the larger computing power to render character real-time in 4K push hardware to the limit requiring less draw distance, less enemies on the screen and basically potentially push gaming back to the Gamecube like era but with 4K graphics?  Maybe I am ignorant of the technology out there, but I seriously don't see the need for 4K gaming...yet if not ever. 

But perhaps I am an odd duck I will still buy and watch SD itunes television to have $10.00. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:49 PM »
4K looks awesome. I'm basing this on the store demos and more recently, the new iMac so admittedly, my exposure is limited. In any case, it's not so much a question of whether we need 4K (we don't if one just looks up the definition of "need") as it is a question of whether Nintendo can offer it affordably. If Nintendo can, 4K should be there. Nintendo has a history of making odd choices based on what it thinks people don't want then being entirely wrong about it including but not limited to DVD playback, online gaming, a right circle pad, and supporting more than one GamePad. I don't believe 4K is as necessary, but if it's feasible, include it.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »

But perhaps I am an odd duck I will still buy and watch SD itunes television to have $10.00.

I hate watching older programs that were made for an SD broadcast in HD. What's lost in a lot of the resolution race is divorcing content from its original aesthetic milieu. The Star Trek re-scans, for instance, look terrible to me, I always drop them to SD to at least get the detail palette to look more accurate. New issues of movies, at least, can theoretically strive to reach the "infinite" resolution of projected film. I believe when they did a lot of the rescans of negatives for Bluray they tried to future proof the process for eventual 8K screens (8K posited as last jump that would be a worthwhile (if relatively minor) improvement based on digital optics for 2d images.)

But video games are a different story. I think the case for 1080 resolution is pretty clear in terms of additional detail/clarity in both 2D and 3D play spaces. It's hard for me to think of what 4K can do to advance game design at this point. I'm assuming it would be a boon to VR systems, though, so maybe it's better to ask if Nintendo is going to make the NX viable for a VR peripheral should the market actually take off in the next few years.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:40:40 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 06:30:54 AM »
4K doesn't have to advance game design. If high definition wasn't a thing, we'd still be playing on standard definition and we would be none the wiser. That's beside the point. Nintendo shouldn't be artificially holding back for arbitrary reasons which we've seen it do so many times in the past. If 4K can be supported reasonably and responsibly, Nintendo shouldn't deny their partners (or consumers) the option. For example, say Square-Enix wants to develop a 4K Final Fantasy, it benefits Nintendo to be able to offer that possibility. Still, if that means NX launches at $500 or something, the disadvantages outweighs the benefits. It would be fantastic to get killer apps that offer something extra PS4 and One can't, especially something like graphics that the general public immediately gravitates toward. Nintendo just shouldn't price itself out of competition.

Full disclosure: I don't have a 4K anything. I bought a very nice 55" 1080p TV last year which I intend to use for the next five years at least. That said, 4K support isn't something I'd immediately benefit from. However, from a business standpoint, Nintendo really can't afford to keep making short-sighted decisions. Sometimes, it has gotten away with it (e.g no right circle pad) and sometimes it doesn't (e.g. friend codes and online support in general).

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
To clarify, I'm not so much talking about  strictly 4K gaming but streaming movies. "Perception is 9/10th of a purchase" Nintendo can't be seen as behind the times anymore. In theory all the NX needs to do is have a 4K-capable HDMI port and and sufficient ram. That shouldn't add too much cost to the unit. The Nvidia Sheild TV and Roku 4 both do 4K and both are less than $200. After watching Marco Polo 4K, SIGN ME UP!

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »
I hadn't even considered 4K, but I agree with the group that it's possible for video and menus, but not reasonable for most games.  I don't think the resolution is particularly problematic or power defying.  Rather, video hardware even now for PCs is based on rendering lower resolutions, so everything past around 1920x1200 is very inefficient.  We should have a generational leap soon.

Despite not having a 4K TV or monitor yet, I would prefer to pay the small price difference to have that option in the future.  Even having Miiverse, etc. in 4K would look substantially nicer, and it would be more useful for video streaming as well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
NX may support 4K as an up-rezzed display mode (with all the processing done by the TV), but there isn't a chance in hell that it'll render games in 4K. It's not uncommon to see even PS4 games rendered natively in less than 1080p these days, despite the PS4 having much higher capabilities. It's simply not practical to render games in 4K when you can devote system resources to much more important things, especially when there's something approaching zero market support right now for 4K.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »
All this "what do we need this for?" stuff came up with the Wii as well.  "Do we really need that level of specs?"  In a vacuum, no, but Sony and MS were offering higher specs, games were being developed for those specs, the Wii couldn't handle ports so it didn't get the games.  The Wii was the BEST SELLING console of it's generation and got the WORST third party support because it's hardware was too damn underpowered to get the same games.  It is literally the only console in history to combine the best sales with the weakest support.

So if Sony and MS support 4K then Nintendo has to because games will be made that use it and if they can't be done on Nintendo's console they won't come to Nintendo's console.  Nintendo telling people what they should or shouldn't want and to "please understand" and trade off each first party game for like 30 third party games is ridiculous and is exactly why the Wii U has sold like ****.

I don't care if Sony and MS affix a giant nutsack to the side of their console.  If that is the industry expected feature then Nintendo should match it.  The only thing I would not suggest they match is anti-consumer practices.  If the other guys lock out used games Nintendo will gain an advantage in being more flexible.  But in hardware specs and features and anything that would be advertised as an enticing bullet point, skimping never works out for them.  You can't reasonably expect your customers to compromise.  Nintendo can not support 4K only if the PS4 and XB1 also cannot do it and it is not expected that successors to those consoles will come out that do support it that will co-exist for several years with the NX.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 01:50:24 PM »
I think it's clear that graphics sell systems, more and more than they used to. If this weren't the case, then the PS4 wouldn't be selling as well as it is. The Wii may have gotten away with it, but there are several factors for that, including that at the time those other systems were expensive and not very reliable, plus the Xbox brand wasn't yet very popular. The PS4 and XBONE are much stronger competition than the PS360 were during their first few years. I personally don't think Nintendo will find better sales than systems like Wii U or GameCube unless they play the graphics game. Which is unfortunate, as I don't like how that's become the focus of the industry.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't I s'pose.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 03:10:39 PM »
I think the real selling point of the PS4 is that there is security in the purchase.  Games get made and unless they're made by Nintendo or Microsoft the assumption is that it will be on the PS4 and it usually is.  I think more than anything that is what people look for in a console.  You look at media format wars like Beta/VHS and Blu Ray/HD-DVD and once one format gets the bulk of the titles things snowball in its favour because we really just want the content.  No one really wants three consoles.  We want one with every game on it.  So the more games a system gets the greater its appeal.

The second I found out the Wii U was going with outdated specs again I immediately assumed that the third party support would be completely screwed up so I didn't buy one.  It isn't really graphics as much as compatibility.  You can't include underpowered hardware in multiplatform development so it is excluded.  Nintendo could do the opposite and have really fancy specs and then find that hardly any games make use of it because it would be the oddball platform.  It would still get the games but everything would be made with the PS4/XB1 level in mind.  The PC gets ports that don't push the hardware because they don't want to squeeze out two platforms and make a PC exclusive.

Nintendo just has to make sure that they get the games and that all too common routine of something coming to everything BUT the Nintendo console no longer happens.  So whatever they have to do with the NX to address that needs to be done. 4K may not matter but it will matter if it deprives the NX of games.  If people don't assume that 90% of third party games will come to the NX in a uncompromised form then they won't buy it.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
1.  Most 4k sets are "smart" enabled meaning you can already stream Netflix and other apps.

2.  Nintendo refuses to pay out royalties, hense no Blu-ray support or the common Dobly Surround stuff, the WII U used PCM.

So unless it's for gaming, 4K on a NX would be kinda pointless?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
Nintendo just has to make sure that they get the games and that all too common routine of something coming to everything BUT the Nintendo console no longer happens.  So whatever they have to do with the NX to address that needs to be done. 4K may not matter but it will matter if it deprives the NX of games.  If people don't assume that 90% of third party games will come to the NX in a uncompromised form then they won't buy it.

Third parties are still having trouble making games in 1080p on the PS4.  Seriously, 4k is not going to be what stops third parties from porting their games to the NX.  This isn't like HD where every major third party was getting tools and shifting all their resources to be at least 720 back in 2005.  Nobody is even thinking about developing games with 4k in mind right now nor is their any evidence of developers caring at this moment. 

There are bigger issue's Nintendo should be focusing on in order to make third parties interested in developing for the NX and right now 4k is the least of their concerns.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
I think the real selling point of the PS4 is that there is security in the purchase.  Games get made and unless they're made by Nintendo or Microsoft the assumption is that it will be on the PS4 and it usually is.
While that could be a factor, the XBONE gets pretty much any game the PS4 gets that isn't PS4-exclusive, so it doesn't explain why the PS4 is selling so much better. There must be much more to it than that, and one such reason is that the PS4 offers better graphics.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
I think the real selling point of the PS4 is that there is security in the purchase.  Games get made and unless they're made by Nintendo or Microsoft the assumption is that it will be on the PS4 and it usually is.
While that could be a factor, the XBONE gets pretty much any game the PS4 gets that isn't PS4-exclusive, so it doesn't explain why the PS4 is selling so much better. There must be much more to it than that, and one such reason is that the PS4 offers better graphics.

Graphics is a good tie breaker and the PS4 also didn't force you to pay $100 extra for Kinect which the target audience clearly did not want in the first place.  Once the trend of the PS4 being the de facto console of choice started I think it would take something major to turn the tides.  Because of online play people are more likely than ever to try to get the same console as their friends.  I figure that one aspect will have a major impact on console generations from here on out.

If the PS4 had the best graphics but didn't have the most games I don't think it would be selling the best.  The Wii U isn't NOT selling because of its weaker graphics but because aside from Nintendo's own titles it is not getting most games.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
Actually, MS lost Japanese and Europe support and there's quite a few games that are coming only to PS4 because MS's crappy sales numbers overseas.  Star Ocean 5 sreams to mind.  No deal was made for it's exclusiveness but the developer wanted to focus on ONE platform instead of multiple.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
Eh, while there is a bizarre entrenched console enthusiast market that gets itself tied up in knots about slight performance differences between games on PS4 and XBONE, if cutting edge graphics were the main motivator then people would be flocking to PC rigs or Steamboxes and the like, given that the current gen is not particularly cutting edge (hence the difficulty mentioned above at even hitting 1080 with a decent framerate a lot of the time). I think it's more that PS4 graphics are "good enough" for an audience that is comfortable with diminishing returns and heavy amounts of iteration. Playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate at Ultra settings with 120 FPS at 1440 isn't going to be meaningfully different enough from just playing it on PS4 for most of the target audience to care. 

And unlike the problem of porting PS360 games down to the SD Wii, I don't forsee that being the same sort of issue should 4K games appear before Nintendo gets onboard. As I said before, it's hard to imagine what 4K would facilitate gameplay wise that wouldn't also work while outputting in 1080. Whereas there were (eventually) plenty of games that would have been illegible if displayed on the Wii at SD resolution (presuming the Wii had the horsepower to even do that).

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
Not to mention that Nintendo has talked about bringing out hardware quicker, so there won't be a 2-3 year lag between 4k (or hell, 8k) getting mass adoption and Nintendo adopting it.

Basically, NX the operating system will support 4k, but it'll be 2019-20 before we see hardware that renders it natively. (Essentially, what broodwars said.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
I really am interested in this OS NX. 

If Nintendo really is going the upgrade direction of selling a low priced machine every 3 years but try to support games on systems for up to 5-6 years then Nintendo needs to be careful.  The only way that plan works is IF Nintendo has a means to scale games, up and down AND if the price is low enough for Nintendo to get people to buy up again.  This to me screams hybrid because only a mobile device is capable of getting people to upgrade quickly. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »
The NX should should have a connector that supports 8k and have the horse power to allow streaming services and possible media based video methods to drive a TV at 8k.  Only a gimmick game could be at 8k and that's ok.

This will make sure that everything is in place to be in 4k for gaming and the bandwidth requirements for streaming at 8k would nearly mandate AC Wireless and a Gigabit Ethernet port.  If they take a PS3 approach to streaming this could work out well for them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't like this smaller generations idea.  As the obvious jump with hardware becomes less noticeable our generations should get longer, not shorter.  There is a reason why the PS3 and Xbox 360 took so long to get replaced and Nintendo even stuck with the Wii for longer than a typical generation.  Unless Nintendo goes with really weak hardware yet again I don't see what improvement new hardware every 3 years is going to offer that is obvious to the general consumer.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
Graphics is a good tie breaker
Exactly, which makes graphics a selling point, so Nintendo might need it to compete.

Another point is that many PS4 and XBONE games are still releasing on the PS360, so if people didn't care about graphics then no one would be buying new systems to play what they could already get on PS360.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
Another point is that many PS4 and XBONE games are still releasing on the PS360, so if people didn't care about graphics then no one would be buying new systems to play what they could already get on PS360.

There's still new games being released that are PS4/One exclusive which makes the urge to upgrade much greater.  If every game being released for those systems was still getting 360/PS3 versions, hardware sales would be much lower.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »

There's still new games being released that are PS4/One exclusive which makes the urge to upgrade much greater.  If every game being released for those systems was still getting 360/PS3 versions, hardware sales would be much lower.
The PS4 was selling well long before it started getting good exclusives.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »

The hardcore fans will buy the newest systems for the best graphics early on which is true and there are millions of people willing to buy the newest systems many for better graphics.  But after a while everybody else is going to need some more convincing which the exclusives do.  Plus the PS4 has been selling worse in North America this year then last year so having the best graphics alone isn't exactly the best longterm sales driver.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »

The hardcore fans will buy the newest systems for the best graphics early on which is true and there are millions of people willing to buy the newest systems many for better graphics.  But after a while everybody else is going to need some more convincing which the exclusives do.  Plus the PS4 has been selling worse in North America this year then last year so having the best graphics alone isn't exactly the best longterm sales driver.

And yet Sony's moved nearly 30 million of them and it's just behind the pace of the PS2: the best-selling console in gaming history. I'd say it's working out for them quite nicely.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
It appears my point has been misconstrued, so I'll clarify: I never said that graphics are the only selling point, just that they are one of its selling points, meaning there are others. So I don't necessarily disagree with any other selling point brought up, just as an addition to graphics, not in place of.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
And yet Sony's moved nearly 30 million of them and it's just behind the pace of the PS2: the best-selling console in gaming history. I'd say it's working out for them quite nicely.

Not sure where you got that, but PS4 is significantly ahead of PS2 in terms of sales at this point in its lifetime. PS2 took 32 months to sell 20 million consoles, PS4 sold 25 million in 20 months. Not sure exactly how it figures when you add in the time that PS2 was available only in Japan, but I believe PS4 would still be ahead, all things considered.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
Psht, who needs Graphics!
8-bit Demons look quite nice naked, thank you very much!
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »
Psht, who needs Graphics!
8-bit Demons look quite nice naked, thank you very much!

What???

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
I can't see Nintendo getting away with upgrading the hardware on the console side every few years. People view consoles as a one-time purchase every 5 years or so. That's the best thing about consoles. The handheld side is a different matter. The technology ages more noticeably because it's always weaker hardware, the buttons wear down, battery life fades, and it's cheaper and easier to replace. I recently bought a New 3DS (to replace one with a busted L button). The CPU bump drastically improved navigating the menus. It's a great replacement purchase. The caveat being that it isn't worth upgrading if you just want a shiny, new thing. That's something Nintendo is really going to have to figure out if it's going the route of new hardware every few years. A mini-spec bump and redesign on the handheld side can work as long as it doesn't split the user base. It's probably best to leave the console alone though.

Offline PaulGaleNetwork

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
If the NX was powerful enough to run gaming at 4K and have some good looking games that really pushed the polygons beyond what the current systems could do...then Nintendo would definitely have a beast on their hands.

I agree with the 4K TV purchase, too.  If you knew Big N's next system would be 4K ready, that'd be some nice incentive to get a new setup now.  I game on a 60" 1080p set which I really like, but will probably evolve to a 64" 4K one, as soon as there's a console that comes out that can take full advantage of it.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
RCA UHD 4K 55" $499.00. (not a black friday sale)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/453009/LED55G65RQ_55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_TV

might grab this. Saw smash 4 on it and it looked outstanding!

Offline subliminalman

• View Profile
    • Subliminal Gaming
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
4k is a pretty crazy realm to be in for devs. When CoD came out for the PS4 and Xbox One people were complaining that the Xb1 version was at 720p but the thing is it had better lighting and shaders than at 1080p. 4k is four 1920x1080 screens in one, post processing takes a hit and especially real time lighting. So you would have sharper looking worlds but not as visually interesting ones if the hardware isn't up to it. If Nintendo did NX at 4k it would have to be a beastly machine for realtime graphics. I'll take 1080p for now, maybe the PS5, Xbox2, and NXX will be great for native 4k.
I like to make games. www.skypetsgame.com

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
4k is a pretty crazy realm to be in for devs. When CoD came out for the PS4 and Xbox One people were complaining that the Xb1 version was at 720p but the thing is it had better lighting and shaders than at 1080p. 4k is four 1920x1080 screens in one, post processing takes a hit and especially real time lighting. So you would have sharper looking worlds but not as visually interesting ones if the hardware isn't up to it. If Nintendo did NX at 4k it would have to be a beastly machine for realtime graphics. I'll take 1080p for now, maybe the PS5, Xbox2, and NXX will be great for native 4k.

This is what I was getting at.  Yes, I guess you COULD upscale and just have something running on 1080 assets in 4K but that isn't really true 4K.  When you don't really even see movies or television releasing in 4K.  When people are still discussing the logistics of streaming 4K video seamlessly it seem rather premature to think video games should have the technology. 

We are probably talking about 3-4 years before 4K TVs penetrate the general market with any really large market share.  TV makers are just trying to push technology faster than we need to, because they need people to jump to buy the next thing.  But gaming WILL suffer.  1080 wasn't truly viable as an option with the PS3 and Xbox 360 720 was.  Now 1080 is looking good on the Xbox 1 and PS4.  These systems are nearing the end of there second year of life.  We have probably  3-5 more years with these systems and I am still not sure that 4K will be viable for gaming, not because of technology restraints but because of development costs. 

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
"Optionality" is the key here people. The Nvidia Shield is streaming 4k 60fps Gaming from PC's on 3GB of ram and a chipset less advanced than a PS4.  There are 4K phones that...ok, 4K phones are complete overkill but the point remains. The Roku streams Netflix 4K and cost $129.00. You don't have to be able to run native 4K gaming but push the tech as far as it can go, it's not expensive. Make the NX look as if it has plans to be around more than 24months. The point is while yes, 4K is not at the moment viable for gaming, it's time for Nintendo to stop thinking 6months ahead and think 6years a head. The Wii U has a phenomenal library of games on tech that clearly was only 6 months a head of the curve, if that. People will pay through the nose if they think they are getting their money's worth. This is the same company that put "Glasses free 3D" in a handheld, I expect them to step up to the plate and show me some ill **** this go round.

HDMI 2.0
USB 3.0
8GB RAM

That's all you need and that better be the bare minimum the NX has under the hood(4k or Not) or it'll be the same story.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2015, 01:52:39 AM »
Shield is only running native 720Pgaming and 1080 while it's using "grid" (think Cloud).

To run current gen games at 4K you'll need some serious muscle and I doubt Nintendo's going try launching the NX at (PS3) pricing of $700+.

You're not going be able to "build'" an $300-400 console that's capable of gaming at 4k in the next year, hell I would say in the next three years.

So I still think you're better off saving your money and buying the cheaper 1080P TV or spending the money on a much larger set.

My guess, VR gaming might 'finally" have a future.  That new Crytek demo is just plain sick.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
Shield is only running native 720Pgaming and 1080 while it's using "grid" (think Cloud).

Enjoy the convenience of playing PC gaming on your TV with your SHIELD. Connect your SHIELD TV to a 4K TV and enjoy 4K, 60fps gaming with 5.1 surround sound through our [/size]GeForce Experience Beta[/size].[/color]

Source http://shield.nvidia.com/game-stream

However, your point is not lost on me
[/size][/color]

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
Yeah, Shield Android TV can do GameStream (local streaming) at 4k 60FPS - but Grid (which is now GeForce Now), the cloud service can only do 1080p 60FPS currently - but that is a cloud service, so your internet connection would have to be faster than the majority in this country, or at the least Nvidia would have to upgrade all of their servers. It can also do native Android games at 4k, if they support it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:56:21 AM by Brandogg »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
Also DareDevil and Jessica Jones are filmed in 4k...so that's a reason to have a console that can at least "do" 4k output.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
Also DareDevil and Jessica Jones are filmed in 4k...so that's a reason to have a console that can at least "do" 4k output.
And yet Jessica Jones looks grainy.  I hate how they shot that at time.

I stand by what I said.  8k TVs are coming in 5 years.  The specs of the NVidia shield really shows that streaming takes a lot less horsepower and the NX should be able to do that and 4k games that are 4k because they can.  1080p 60fps non-compromised should be the norm.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
One, I am a freakin prophet and two, I am pretty sure now that the NX will support 4k. It just has to.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
With Nintendo you can never be sure even if you feel the feature "just has to" be supported.  Nintendo didn't support HDTVs on the Wii and their logic for doing so was that the then adoption rate of those TVs was not high enough.  It was really small minded thinking as the lack of that feature looked outdated and silly probably six months after the Wii launched.  In the end the console still sold but they really came across a fuddy-duddies with a decision that would affect their product for years but was based entirely on the present.  In 2006 anyone I knew that was going to get a new TV was going to get an HD one.  Even if the adoption wasn't quite were Nintendo felt it should be it was clear as day that anyone buying a new TV between the Wii launch and whenever it's successor was coming out was going to buy an HDTV.  It was as asinine as a decision as their rationale for not going online on the Cube which, again, they pointed to the adoption rates of that very specific moment in time as their justification when everyone under the age of 60 knew that high speed internet was becoming the thing and waiting for another gen would be waiting too long.

I'm not even sure that 4K is really going to become an expected feature but the adoption rate at this very moment is almost certainly not at the level that Nintendo would be happy with.  Their history suggests that Nintendo will be late to the party on new tech.  That has been their story for 20 years.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
I really don't think 4K is going to catch on to the extent that it matters whether or not Nintendo supports it. This isn't HD in 2006 where I think everybody knew it was coming, just a matter of when. This is another 3D TV, or 240hz, or whatever bullshit excuse Samsung and Sony are trying to use to convince people they need to buy a new TV every two years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
Not to mention how much it costs to develop true 4K graphics. I mean, just look at how much Nintendo have struggled to make HD games, and almost all of them are only 720p. They can't make another huge jump like that so soon.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
It's so going to happen. If the NX hooks up to a tv then it will support 4K. Bank on it!.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I highly doubt it.  Nintendo unjustifiably failed to support HD, and they actually would be justified in not supporting 4K.  Granted, you could make an argument that there's some overlap in the 4K and hardcore gaming markets ("techies" with high disposable income) but that's still not a large market.  Then you have people with 4K sets that are starved by 4K content, but how big that market? Are they interested in a dedicated gaming machine? How does Nintendo win those people over?

Too much cost, too many questionables for NX to support 4K.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
I highly doubt it.  Nintendo unjustifiably failed to support HD, and they actually would be justified in not supporting 4K.  Granted, you could make an argument that there's some overlap in the 4K and hardcore gaming markets ("techies" with high disposable income) but that's still not a large market.  Then you have people with 4K sets that are starved by 4K content, but how big that market? Are they interested in a dedicated gaming machine? How does Nintendo win those people over?

Too much cost, too many questionables for NX to support 4K.

I think you are overestimating the cost of 4K. The requirement to do 4k are the base specs that a NX console should support. This is not solely based on making games produce a 4K res, but its the natural progression of the technology, at a bare minimum for a console launching in 2016. Nintendo would have to actively downgrade the system to make it less powerful. Mind you, this is all based on the system being "mostly" tradition in terms of its market aim.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
4K doesn't need to "catch on" - I would wager by this time next year, you will only see 4K TVs in stores. DirecTV has 4K video support, Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix all support it. NX should support 4K for video services at the very least.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
4K doesn't need to "catch on" - I would wager by this time next year, you will only see 4K TVs in stores. DirecTV has 4K video support, Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix all support it. NX should support 4K for video services at the very least.

Um, probably not considering stores still sell 720p TVs to this day. A PS4.5 would probably only support 4K for video services so I don't expect the NX to support 4k for anything. It's not really Nintendo and if you expect it out of the box you're going to have a bad time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
I didn't say I expect it, I just NX *should* support it. And yes, you can still buy 720p TVs, but they are old repackaged models, there is no benefit for any major TV manufacturer to make 720p TVs anymore. 4K TVs have come down so much in price already, much faster than 1080p TVs dropped. Give it a year, you won't see any new 1080p TVs being made - or at least they'll be in the minority at retailers like Best Buy.

Offline theumph

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
It won't. Nintendo is a conservative company and they are not going to be on the cutting edge of technology. They will stick to their tried and true method of "weathered technology" at a low price. I don't view that as a problem either. Nintendo games look fantastic in 1080p. Their art style would not benefit as much as a realistic looking game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2016, 03:04:10 AM »
To counterpoint: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I don't really care about 4k. I can't get a big enough TV into my living room to make a difference. Heck, DVD vs Bluray doesn't seem worth it on half the movies...

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
Well I expect it(as shown in the first post) and you guys better get ready for Nintendo to come out swinging for the fences on this hardware.  From what I understand, the NX will be closer to the Playstation4K in terms of specs rather than the original version. And let's face it guys, I'm more right about these things on this forum. Trust me! Wink.

twilight princess forward compatibility
Star Wars a trilogy of trilogies
Spider-Man in MCU
PlayStation 4K
And others...

Ok. None of those are really that hard to extrapolate from known information save for maybe the Twilight Princess, that **** was truly amazing. And if I am wrong, I'll give away $300 in free movies

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »
Well Mr. Boogie, that really isn't a risky bet.  I don't think the PS4.5 will be a huge upgrade.  Maybe a slight RAM boost and a slight chip upgrade.  I see it more like the New 3DS or dsi in terms of upgrades.  So if Nintendo isn't at least that powerful they already lost.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
Of course it's not a risky bet, I already gave away $300free movies in the General Chat Forums. As for the specs for the ps4k, Neogaf poster(verified account) is saying the GPU  is at least 2x as fast plus other significant upgrades. I'm saying that even with that the NX will be closer to it if not better.

Edit: link to story on GAF http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1202462
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:23:17 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
Well as the person who correctly predicted 3 things in that one Nintendo Direct last year, and who reads credible sources like Eurogamer, I can say Nintendo supporting 4K is bunk. The PS4k will not have 4K games so I think it's safe to say there will not be support for 4K on NX.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »
Support for 4K and 4K games are different things.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »
I know. But if a realistic version of the PS4K supports 4k only for video services, I'm not expecting NX to be at that level or better. Nintendo could very well zag after zigging for so long on the tech side. But considering what (little) we know right now, it's best to go with lowered expectations.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I would love for Nintendo to really go all in and make the best machine they can so there is no excuse then if it fails we will know that the truth is the world has moved on from Nintendo, and if it succeed we will know it was them being screwy all a long.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
I would love for Nintendo to really go all in and make the best machine they can so there is no excuse then if it fails we will know that the truth is the world has moved on from Nintendo, and if it succeed we will know it was them being screwy all a long.

That's really all I've ever wanted.  Every gen from the N64 onwards there was a big "but they did this..." or "they didn't do this..." whenever you look at each console's performance in the marketplace.  The Cube was the closest they came to doing the best they could and still they didn't go online, didn't have DVD capabilities, used a smaller proprietary disc.  There was still weird stuff and a refusal to meet customer expectations or keep up with the competition.

I want to see Nintendo's Dreamcast.  I would hope it wouldn't share the same fate but Sega really didn't do anything obviously wrong.  It was a great console but Sega had hurt their brand with past dud products (a storm Nintendo will also have to weather) and didn't have the finances to hold on while they built it back up.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
A console with a bunch of great games that sold like crap and had a screen in the controller?

The Wii U *is* the Dreamcast.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
A console with a bunch of great games that sold like crap and had a screen in the controller?

The Wii U *is* the Dreamcast.
The Wii U is the evolution of the Dreamcast.  It's what Nintendo has wanted for a long time seeing as they tried GBA connectivity with the Gamecube and then DS connectivity with the Wii and Wii U.  The problem is only one person per room gets that screen.  They probably planned for the next iteration to have the ability to use four gamepads on one system but are now scratching it due to the failure of the Wii U.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

I don't think it's that simple. Nintendo could make a really stellar piece of hardware and have no buy it (outside of the most supportive Nintendo fans) because they don't want to drop another $400 on a console when they already have a PS4 or XB1, even though they might want the Nintendo hardware and want to play Nintendo games. Just making the best machine they can could have been a viable strategy back when the Wii U launched, before everyone bought their next gen consoles, but it's probably not going to work now or be indicative of the general level of interest in Nintendo.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Why does it have to be $400 dollars? I am talking about Nintendo being smart business wise for a change and making a machine everyone would want and sucking it up enough to sell it for a fair price the market will accept. That very strategy has worked for Sony three out of the four generations they have been on the market. Cutting costs and being cheap has worked three out of the six consoles Nintendo has done that. Even still with strong sales they have only had solid support twice in their history and they fought tooth and nail for it back then, they have essentially given up in recent years.

ALso time doesn't stop the day Sony releases a PS4, the future keeps moving forward so if Nintendo makes a machine that can top the PS4 and has all the bells and whistles people want plus they keep making the great games people except and 3rd party companies return then there is no reason people won't abandon the machine that isn't doing what they want, or you know Nintendo could reach the 80+ million gamers who have yet to buy either console. Seriously this idea that they can't do it unless they do it on Sony's timetable is idiotic, plain and simple. Hell the reason Sony was successful in the first place was they made their own timetable they didn't sit around waiting for Nintendo to decide when the 'next gen' started.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:01:42 PM by supermario2k »

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
If you want Nintendo to make the "best machine they can" that tops the PS4 and has all the bells and whistles, of course it's going to be at least $400 (do you think Sony's next supposed half-step console isn't going to cost at least that much?). Nintendo is diversifying now, but in the immediate future their ability to be profitable is still going to depend largely on the money they make on console and software sales. They can't afford to sell their console at a substantial loss or justify years of losses while they try to build up the userbase to their investors and make the money back later in the console's life. That's not going to fly at a company like Nintendo and they're not in such a horrible position that they need to take that kind of all-or-nothing risk.

The point isn't that time stops when Sony releases their console; it's that these people you're expecting to reach just spent $300-$400 on a console. Simply making a more powerful PS4 that also plays Nintendo games isn't enough for most people to justify dropping a similar amount of money a year or two later. If you're talking about reaching the market that has yet to buy a PS4 or XB1, most of those people are waiting for a more affordable console. Making a more powerful console at a similar (or higher) price isn't going to do much to move them.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
You are forgetting the millions of people who haven't upgraded yet, there is still room to bring them in.
A machine that tops PS4 wouldn't be that expensive, Nintendo has a lot more money, patents, and good will with their tech partners than I think you give them credit for. Also they wouldn't have to suffer massive losses, Wii U was sold at a loss but it turned profitable with the first game sold, they could afford to sell it at just enough loss to make it profitable at 2 games sold and considering that Nintendo has a high attach rate there is a chance they could do it. Also they have sole consoles for a loss before they do it all the time it isn't a new business model.
They could make a machine that is competitive and sell it for a reasonable $350 and people will buy it over the other two for many reasons. One the people who HAVE upgraded don't represent the entire gaming population, 2, there is a large number of them who are waiting to see what NX is and are holding off for that very reason, 3, people switch mid-generation ALL THE TIME, 4, Nintendo is not as fragile as you think they are they can afford a couple of years of heavy losses if it turns them profitable in the long term which would make more sense than going bancrupt pinching pennies. BTW, Nintendo is not as "conservative" as people claim they in fact are the biggest risk takers in the damn industry, they just don't always pay off.

Asking them to make the machine the entire gaming community is begging for would NOT be bad business sense it would sell like hotcakes just on the EFFORT and excitement alone it would garner.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
I'm not forgetting those people. Like I said, I think the reason most of them are waiting is because they don't want to spend $400 (or $350, which isn't going to be a huge difference to most people who think $400 is too much) on a console and they're waiting until current gen consoles become more affordable. I doubt most people outside of ardent Nintendo fans even know that the NX is a thing that will be talked about this year (thanks in large part to Nintendo's complete reluctance to talk about it themselves), so I don't think there are millions of people holding off on an upgrade to see what it is, especially since Nintendo hasn't even officially announced that it will be a home console. No one knew about it before the beginning of 2015, so it certainly wasn't the thing stopping people from upgrading in 2013 and 2014. Like I said, for most people it was price, and putting another $350 or $400 console on the market isn't going to solve that problem for them.

I do think that's the market that Nintendo should target, but I guess where we disagree is how they should go about doing it. I think they need to make the best console possible that they feel comfortable selling at $250 if they want to attract a lot of those people, regardless of how it stacks it up to the PS4, and you're also much more likely to attract people who already have a PS4 or XB1 that way.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm not forgetting those people. Like I said, I think the reason most of them are waiting is because they don't want to spend $400 (or $350, which isn't going to be a huge difference to most people who think $400 is too much) on a console and they're waiting until current gen consoles become more affordable. I doubt most people outside of ardent Nintendo fans even know that the NX is a thing that will be talked about this year (thanks in large part to Nintendo's complete reluctance to talk about it themselves), so I don't think there are millions of people holding off on an upgrade to see what it is, especially since Nintendo hasn't even officially announced that it will be a home console. No one knew about it before the beginning of 2015, so it certainly wasn't the thing stopping people from upgrading in 2013 and 2014. Like I said, for most people it was price, and putting another $350 or $400 console on the market isn't going to solve that problem for them.

I do think that's the market that Nintendo should target, but I guess where we disagree is how they should go about doing it. I think they need to make the best console possible that they feel comfortable selling at $250 if they want to attract a lot of those people, regardless of how it stacks it up to the PS4, and you're also much more likely to attract people who already have a PS4 or XB1 that way.

Again, I just think you are understimating the true size of the Nintendo fanbase. There have always been millions more Nintendo fans who would have bought the machine if it was on par with their expectations. SNES was the true successor to the NES but Playstation was the true successor for SNES for the vast majority of gamers. Many of them would glady return to Nintendo if they didn't have to scoff at the machines Nintendo keeps making.

On a dedicated Nintendo site they are the minority because we are all mostly die hard fans but on any non-Nintendo site or fanbase there is still a large outcry for Nintendo to return to glory. People who want a good machine from Nintendo are not fanboys rooting for sales like the Wii loyalists were, they are rooting for a Gamecube that doesn't cut corners. The ONE area most people would cut Nintendo slack these days unlike then is DVD, partly because unlike then everyone has dozens of multimedia devices in their homes now so expecting the Nintendo machine to also do those things is no longer mandatory, but on the gaming side people have been putting up with Nintendo BS for two DECADES. I don't know how old you are but it seems like you just don't remember the glory days of Nintendo or maybe it's been so long you have forgotten. Wii re-energized the core fanbase but that wasn't enough. Nintendo will NOT survive on them anyways, damn dude Wii U proved that. If NX ONLY sells to the die hard Nintendo fans its as good as done right now.

And I said it doesn't have to be $400 you are the one who keeps saying it does and I think you are dead wrong. They have sold machines at a reasonable loss in the past, we are not talking devestating losses, NX has been in development for two years and PS4 tech is already 2+ years old, the market moves faster now than it ever has, AMD has been innovating in recent years, Nintendo could cut costs where nobody would notice and get away with it, they have the cash reserves to take a small loss on the hardware and make up for it with the attach rate their consoles are famous for, they are UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP, they are facing a desperate time in their history that could make them go the way of Sega/Atari or they could rise up and get rid of Xbox. Also you seem to forget there are a lot of people NOT buying the Xbox One right now, those are also potential sales and the people not buying the Wii U, nobody, not you, or me, knows how many of them would buy and NX.

All I am saying is just for once I want Nintendo to bite the god damn bullet and just make the machine the entire fucking world has been asking them to since the damn N64 and IF it still fails fine we know for a fact the Nintendo brand is damaged beyond repair, if it succeed, and I believe it will, we are back to a Nintendo that can make aggressive moves going forward and hopefully remove the Xbox parasite from the world.

Even if they don't topple Xbox which is a pipe dream, let's be honest, they could return to their former glory, hell even N64 sales would have been damn good for most people. Right now they are struggling to get Game Cube sales and that is pretty bad all things considered.

But you also forget Nintendo has a cash stream on the side they can rely on to take some of the hit off NX, Amiibo, that doesn't look to be subsiding anytime soon and if they incorporate it into NX just right it could only improve their fortunes. They don't have to hit the $250 sweet spot, although honeslty I would LOVE IT if they did, but I think $300 is the best price the market can expect and at that price mass market penetration is possible, PS1 launched at that price and did phenomenally well.

Also again, you are underestimating the large number of PS4 owners who would trade in a PS4 for an NX IF Nintendo could make it worth their while and I believe there is a way to do it if they make the right console, and if all the rumors are to be believed then there is ample evidence that is something we can expect. At least something closer to what we want than Wii U was.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »
Also again, you are underestimating the large number of PS4 owners who would trade in a PS4 for an NX IF Nintendo could make it worth their while and I believe there is a way to do it if they make the right console, and if all the rumors are to be believed then there is ample evidence that is something we can expect. At least something closer to what we want than Wii U was.
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!
Sorry to break it to you but this isn't going to happen. People aren't to give up friend lists, PlayStation Plus subscriptions and entire libraries of physical and digital games in exchange for NX. Even if third parties come out of the gate strong on NX they couldn't go back and port the past 3 years of their games to NX so Nintendo will naturally be starting from a position of weakness. What ample evidence are you referring to?

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
PS4 will be three years old when it releases. **** it. I am not arguing with you god damn there is FORTY YEARS of video game history to PROVE that when a new console releases people leave behind last gen, it's been that way since 1975-ish. PS4 will be 3 years old, when NX launches. Not everyone has friends list, and by your logic nobody should even OWN a PS4 considering all those DLC, friends, etc you worry so much about WERE ALL ON 360, nobody had  a problem abandoning them to go to Ps4. People move forward, the world moves forward time doesn't stop because Sony releases a console, Sony is already preparing VR and PS4K, both of those are  more than enough proof, on top of the FORTY YEARS of history, if you are do god damn blind you can ignore forty years then by all means go ahead. Or you could look at the patterns and see that people are going to flock to the new machine if it has what they want, it has ALWAYS been that way since the beginning of time. The 5 year console cycle is a thing of the past, deal with it., not to mention the 85+ million gamers who haven't bought into this gen yet. I am not saying everyone is going to get NX in the first year, DUH! but there is not reason to believe, as of right now, that it even has to get all it's sales in year one. By the time it comes down in price, PS4 will be 4 years old, and showing its age. People will start to notice the performance upgrades of playing the same games on NX over PS4 and the benefit of having their cake and frosting or however the stupid saying goes, because they will have the PS4 3rtd party games people love and the Nintendo games people crave.

Evidence, look anywhere on the internet when Nintendo is doing poorly, everyone is clamoring for them to go 3rd party because they do want their games.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:58:10 AM by supermario2k »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
I have a hard time believing that because we don't know if NX will have Madden/FIFA/NBA2K/CoD/GTA or all the other major third party titles that drive console sales. People won't ditch PS4 for NX. They'll buy NX to complement their PS4.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
PS4 will be three years old when it releases. **** it. I am not arguing with you god damn there is FORTY YEARS of video game history to PROVE that when a new console releases people leave behind last gen,
not to mention the 85+ million gamers who haven't bought into this gen yet.

GG TJ :smug:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
People won't ditch PS4 for NX. They'll buy NX to complement their PS4.
And Nintendo knows this. The only way it accomplishes this is by having enough content to justify being a viable second console. 3DS is the biggest hint of the kind of content Nintendo needs. It has a wealth of first and third party games people can't get anywhere else.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
Nintendo won't get people to switch to the NX but maybe they can put out a good product and rebuild their brand so that on the proper next gen when Sony and MS switch over the new Nintendo console released at that point is actually considered as a potential purchase.  This isn't going to be an overnight thing.  Nintendo needs to rebuild and it will take years to do.  Next time around people should know what to expect from Nintendo and it would be GOOD stuff.  I'd say the Wii U "met" consumer expectations, it's just that those expectations were really negative.  "This won't have good support so I won't buy it" and then of course it doesn't sell and loses the small support it had.  Nintendo isn't going to get anyone to switch if the expectations continue to be like that.  The NX needs to look like it has potential and its successor needs to come in looking like it can win the gen outright.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Here is an articles mentioning 4K and the NX, but there is no detail.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/660523/Nintendo-NX-release-date-update-2016-Amiibo-4K

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »
To answer the original question is no, not for games. System requirements for 4K is really high. There is no way you can build a box that doesn't cost 5K to play 4K games. Monster PCs struggle with 4K and forget single card solutions. It will at best be a 1080p image on a 4K display with one or the other doing the scaling.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
I'd imagine there are certain types of games that can be made 4k easier than others at this point. A 2d platformer, a fighting games, a strategy game, a puzzle game. Not a 3d shooter, or adventure game, or 3d platformer.

Imagine a 4k classic style platformer, where they kept the scale of the original game, but you can see huge portions of the world on the screen. I don't know what the point of that would be, but it would look cool. Although i can imagine a non side scrolling platformer reminicent of old arcades. Donkey Kong 4k
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
To answer the original question is no, not for games. System requirements for 4K is really high. There is no way you can build a box that doesn't cost 5K to play 4K games. Monster PCs struggle with 4K and forget single card solutions. It will at best be a 1080p image on a 4K display with one or the other doing the scaling.

Supplemental Computer Device.