Author Topic: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?  (Read 27931 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
I want to buy a new Tv and I'm thinking about getting a 4K. Problem is,  there is gaming console supporting this. (Although I expect the PlayStaion 4k sometime in the next 12 months). Nintendo hasen't been first in resolution in quite some time, if ever and I'm sure the resources needed to do 4K/30fps with graphics in the realm of current gen would be around a ps4 with 16GB of DDR5. I'm sure Nintendo magic is scalable and maybe possible with 8GB DDR5 and a card 305 faster than a 7870.

NX Home = 3840 x 2160p Yes/No?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:49:01 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
If Nintendo wants to sell consoles, yes. The Nvidia Shield supports 4K (in fact it was designed for 4K) and it's $200. Having said that, I don't think anyone can qualify any assumption right now...and PS4/Xbone could support 4k too, not necessarily for gaming, but at least for video. No need for a new console.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
I didn't think the Hdmi in either the ps4/one were capable of 4K. News to me

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
Doubt it, 4k gaming is still along ways off for consoles.  Hell I'll be happy with 1080P/60FPS.  So unless you plan on watching movies/sports or hooking up an gaming PC, then a 4k TV might be a poor investment.  Give it two years and those $2500 sets would be less than $500 and you'll still be "console" gaming at subpar 1080P :(.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
4K TVs are already getting that cheap. There will be several ~50" sets for $500 or less on Black Friday. Xbox One and PS4 only support HDMI 1.4, so they can output at 4K, 30FPS, so they'd be fine for Netflix or YouTube, etc. Even if they added true 4K support and could output *some* games at (consistent) 4K 30FPS, I'm sure lots of people would be happy.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »
Saw a 55" 4K display for Black Friday for around $700. Samsung I think. Netflix 4K sounds promising...wait HDMI 1.4? I'm pretty sure Wii U has HDMI 1.4.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »
No.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Yes, but the Wii U likely doesn't have the horsepower to support 4K video output - it also doesn't have the network support (2.4Ghz only).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
maybe Netflix support for 4k when Netflix supports it. Games...probably not.

Maybe playing classic games too. Like for some reason the system gets Quake 2 and in 4k but its Quake 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQZGGTsM1A
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Netflix has done 4K for a while. The Wii U can't provide consistent speed, or even the required transfer rate (25Mbps for 4K Netflix, Wii U can only do around 11Mbps from everything I've seen).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
It probably won't support 4K at launch, but might eventually with an expansion pack.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Do we honestly need 4K televisions in life? Like, what is the benefit?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
It looks good.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
It keeps television manufacturers in business.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
I didn't think 4k would be that much better until the first time I saw a 4k TV. 1080p is very nice, but 4k is stunning. No one *need* it, no one needs TV or video games at all, but the difference is pretty big. 4x 1080p resolution, 24x 480p.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:30:02 PM by Brandogg »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Because what's the point of living in a first world country?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
Don't want an NX unless it can run a 4K in under an hour.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
The only spec that matters is how many parsecs it takes to do the Kessel Run.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
While I don't "need" 4K, I don't wanna buy a Tv thats already outdated when I can buy something that wont change for at least 5+ years. I know 8K is out there but thats crazy talk.

As for the topic: After doing the hard math, not only do I expect the NX to do 4K, I expect it right out the box and preloaded with 4K demos to Show off just how "NextGen this system is.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
Funniest thread I've read in a while.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »
Old Nintendo I would say not a fat chance, but new Nintendo, slim chance but still not sure. I don't even have a 1080p TV at the moment so my next upgrade is not going to b 4K. I would love to have one but you know money and all that.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
Nintendo should have supported HD on the Wii.  They talked about how HDTVs were not yet common in homes when they launched but it was like everyone bought a HDTV about a year later.  It really shows how much mainstream appeal a game like Wii Sports had to overcome something like that.  It was like their vision of "futureproofing" only extended six months.

So if they didn't not have HD on the Wii they would have made the specs more comparable to the competition so they wouldn't have also skimped on the specs on the Wii U and then they wouldn't be in the huge mess they're in now.  Both console designs suggested no foresight on the part of Nintendo and they got around it once and it bit them in the ass the second time.

So should they support 4K?  If it's the way things are going then yes they should.  And I don't mean where things are going within a year I mean within five or six years so it actually matches the lifespan of the product.  This seems like a very simple and obvious way to go about things but Nintendo hasn't done it in, hell, almost 20 years.  They've been incredibly bad at predicting tech trends since the N64.  And usually the "predicting" means simply observing what your competition is doing.  None of this is hard.  Consoles are not really high tech by the standards of technology in general.  CDs, online, and HD were all obvious trends that had been anticipated for years before videogame consoles supported them.

So they should support 4K but I don't expect them to.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
4k is basically the equivalent to Laser Disc and Blu Ray.  Yes to the hardcore tech nuts it's better but for the average consumer they can't tell the difference and the price is never going to get them to upgrade when many just upgraded to HD and if they want a new one they'll just get the cheaper HD ones instead.

That's why it's very doubtful Nintendo will support it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
4k is basically the equivalent to Laser Disc and Blu Ray.  Yes to the hardcore tech nuts it's better but for the average consumer they can't tell the difference and the price is never going to get them to upgrade when many just upgraded to HD and if they want a new one they'll just get the cheaper HD ones instead.

That's why it's very doubtful Nintendo will support it.

This I agree with entirely, I upgraded to HD early on, relatively that is, but it took forever for content to catch up and they were releasing them in stages so it felt like the next one was just going to be for the snobs where as everyone else was just happy with something that looked good for a change. I can't hardly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p without really looking at side side comparisions, HD is HD to most people. This 4K ultra HD is overkill.

I also don't buy Blu ray hardly at all, not because DVD is good enough and I don't see a different though, thats more price and for most stuff DVD is still good enough. A movie has to be really amazing for the special features are what will draw me to a BR over a DVD. If NX doesn't at least support disc playback of DVD movies and blu ray, assuming it has those drives, then I will be disappointed but not a deal break this time around.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
Even on PS4 and Xbox One games are having a hard time even hitting true 1080p at a good frame rate, so I doubt any game console would take advantage of 4K resolution for anything other than playing video in the foreseeable future, and I doubt Nintendo would go out of their way to support something that would only be used for that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent