Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.  (Read 125476 times)

Offline Tween20

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X. Now with less boob slider and pedo content!
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
Looking into it some more, you are likely right.  I am running a 'WD MyBook' hard drive and from what I am reading the sleep function is built into the firmware and cannot be shut off (without writing code on the computer, but that won't work with the Wii U). In the 'almost successful' attempt, I kept touching the game pad screen every two minutes or so or playing virtual console games for the entire time... and then I dozed off with 10 minutes to go and woke to find the error message.  If other people have been able to do this, I will try again.  Very frustrating.  The only saving grace is that I couldn't actually be playing the game yet, anyway. Thanks for the response.

Offline Tween20

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2015, 06:33:53 AM »
I found this video about disabling auto-sleep on external hard drives through the Wii U.  Perhaps this is something everyone already knew how to do, but if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4EZfdyMngA

I'm trying it now--only 2 hours and 45 minutes to go (+install time) until I know for sure...!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
I have started seeing the game advertised on youtube at the start of videos. It's a decent little trailer and packs a lot into 30 seconds without being confusing. As we get closer and closer to launch my hype is increasing exponentially.

That was really packed for 30 seconds and still managed to have most of it be walking.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: The game too big for Nintendo
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »
What the.... Now mods are coming in and changing my thread titles? Looks like funhouse behavior will eventually conquer the rest of these forums as I've always believed.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
What the.... Now mods are coming in and changing my thread titles? Looks like funhouse behavior will eventually conquer the rest of these forums as I've always believed.

It is as the prophecy foretold. . .
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
This will be the first game I buy a strategy guide for. I have never been intimidated by a games scale  but damn if this ain't got me shook. Won't beat this game till Metroid: NX id released.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2015, 05:29:06 AM »
If Xenoblade Chronicles X is as well-built as Xenoblade Chronicles, the beginnings in-game tutorials should do fine in teaching all that is needed for moderate play. Any time more detailed information is needed, the built-in manual (not the digital manual that is outside of the game in the Wii U home menu) should do the trick. The primary difficulty I'm seeing is the information density from the many systems and mechanics. That will be difficult to keep track of.

But if you want to know the nooks and crannies ahead of time, a strategy guide will be handy.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
So your telling there's a chance?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2015, 04:35:43 AM »
So your telling there's a chance?

Yeah, there's a chance you might want a strategy guide. Hey, maybe Prima secured some cool art for their collector's edition strategy guide!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
Strategy guides for RPGs are irrelevant. For a game that is all about exploration, you're spoiling yourself with something like that.

The older the RPG, the less obvious the game makes it's crucial information. Xenoblade Chronicles already did a good job communicating skills and materials, this game looks to have further streamlining. If you don't want to invest yourself in the atmosphere, gameplay, and overall experience of a game, or rather, wish to speed through it, you're not getting your money's worth, or you aren't really all that fond of the type of game the developers created.

I'm not, and never will be a fan of character action games, or 2D action platformers. So I try to avoid them. I'm a fan of complex combat systems, lengthy narratives, and large worlds, so I gravitate towards RPGs. I find it ridiculous and a bit insulting that Nintendo explicitly said "if you like Zelda or Metroid, you should give this a shot," because they are so fundamentally different. Not everyone is going to enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles X. RPGs are a niche genre, and this specific style of RPG- essentially, an offline open-world MMO, is going to appeal to even fewer people. The recent trend of simplifying and streamlining the mechanics of RPGs and putting emphasis on amount of quests and not the depth or variety of them is an attempt to make the genre more accessible and mainstream, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what the genre is. Xenoblade Chronicles X, however, is not a mainstream RPG, despite Nintendo's attempts to convince us otherwise. Or naybe they do know, since they haven't been advertising it at all and are effortlessly telling people that like games in different genres to check it out.

TL;DR play at least 40-60 hours of XCX before considering getting a strategy guide. Also, I hate video games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
I am mostly against strategy guides, at least following them to a tee and perfectly min maxing a character so they can blast through the game. But for Xenoblade 3d if I run through an area 1 or 2 times and can't find an item or NPC I'm looking for I wouldn't hesitate to open the internet browser and just look it up on a wiki.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »
I can't fault Bill for trying to sell the game. Also, I can see where he is going with the comparisons to Zelda and Metroid with Xenoblade Chronicles X's main drive of being a grand adventure of exploration. Granted, nearly all action/adventure/RP games can be reduced to either exploring a world or killing a lot of people. And if you are only seeing video games from a mechanics and systems point-of-view, comparing Xenoblade Chronicles X to Zelda and Metroid does not make sense.

I just hope the material pick ups in Xenoblade Chronicles X are less random. It was annoying in Xenoblade Chronicles to have quite a few collectopedia materials be governed by RNG.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/designing-xenoblade-chronicles-x/1100-6432549/
Gamespot has a series of preview and interview articles for the game. Always nice to read Tetsuya Takahashi and other developers thoughts.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
I'm quite certain that the frontier net is going to help a lot with material acquisition- from what I recall, you can set it to obtaining Miranium, but there's other functions you can assign to each hex, balanced out by a funds transaction that is quite hefty.

I'm just immensely excited for the variation in play style. I know that the level of complexity in battle systems that Xenoblade had (Melia's Elemental discharge system, for example) won't be on display but the fact that you can be a Skell-less Support combatant, as well as having tons of Skell customization, AND a number of different classe with specific equipment styles means I'm going to have a load of fun toying with variations.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2015, 12:16:25 AM »
For what it's worth, I want the strategy guide right frickin' now.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: The Fight to Name Your Own Thread.
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
I'm quite certain that the frontier net is going to help a lot with material acquisition- from what I recall, you can set it to obtaining Miranium, but there's other functions you can assign to each hex, balanced out by a funds transaction that is quite hefty.

You know, reading this, it struck me that one of the things that appeals to me about this game is the slight shades of Civilization. I've always loved the Civilization series but just hardly play it anymore due to the time I'll sink into a game. But back when I played it more regularly, I always loved the exploration aspect of it and discovering the world I was on as well as building up a really well planned empire. I'm a player that would shoot more for the Space Race or Diplomatic victories. I rarely tried to just outright conquer the world by force due to the size of maps and way I played.

If I need to take out a civilization in order to make a nicer chunk or give myself the lead over the other civilizations, I'd go the war route then but I just liked terraforming and creating well functioning cities with all the amenities and exploring and collecting all science and tech upgrades. It just hit me how this game looks to have some of that element based on my perceptions of it. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappoint but the closer we get to launch, the more I find myself getting hyped.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2015, 03:26:02 AM »
I know that the level of complexity in battle systems that Xenoblade had (Melia's Elemental discharge system, for example) won't be on display but the fact that you can be a Skell-less Support combatant, as well as having tons of Skell customization, AND a number of different classe with specific equipment styles means I'm going to have a load of fun toying with variations.

Ah, Melia. She made Xenoblade Chronicles for me. Her summons, auras, and discharge artes were unique and powerful.

It's a shame that Xenoblade Chronicles X apparently doesn't seem to have a combat style as radically different as Melia's, but maybe there's something hidden in those class trees. If not, the Soul Voice system combined with the variety of artes looks to have plenty of attributes and synergies to learn and use.

For what it's worth, I want the strategy guide right frickin' now.

Ruh roh!
Good job on blazing through Mira in 66 hours. Now mess around with the Fashion Armor!

If I need to take out a civilization in order to make a nicer chunk or give myself the lead over the other civilizations, I'd go the war route then but I just liked terraforming and creating well functioning cities with all the amenities and exploring and collecting all science and tech upgrades. It just hit me how this game looks to have some of that element based on my perceptions of it. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappoint but the closer we get to launch, the more I find myself getting hyped.

The Frontier Net seems to only bring in money and materials. In the pre-release materials, I've yet to see anything approaching Xenoblade Chronicle's Colony 6, which was a slight but neat thing. Maybe there's something in the full game, but I doubt it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/monolith-soft-and-making-rpgs-for-everyone/1100-6432551/
The second (and I presume last) feature on Xenoblade Chronicles X focuses on the developer Monolith Soft.

Things the caught my eye:
Monolith Soft has 130 employees spread across Tokyo and Kyoto.
Takahashi has played western games such as Fallout and Grand Theft Auto for fun and research.
The October mass hiring call for 3D designers was for Monolith Soft role as a supporting developer for various Nintendo games.

Monolith is currently supporting a handful of other Nintendo projects, specifically projects needing map design and "interesting adventure elements."

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
I'm guess they're all hands on deck for Zelda Wii U right now...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
Is there any CGI in this game or is it all in game? Some of the shots I'm seeing look too good for Wii U but at the same time not good enough to be ps4/one. Limbo Graphics

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »
As it turns out, the Frontier Net is a lot more involved with sidequests than I initially thought, judging by how it was explained in the latest XCX survival guide. You can buff characters in battle or materials collected judging by how you place down specific types of probes, and linking them to each other boosts their effects drastically. I won't go into much more detail in case people want that information withheld, but it's pretty neat.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
The reviews are coming out, and the score spread is averaging the 8/10 I expected after absorbing all the pre-release coverage for the game.

The most important review I want to highlight is Phil Kollar's 7/10 review. Kollar loved Xenoblade Chronicles in his 9.5/10 review for the game for Game Informer, so his annoyances with Xenoblade Chronicles X are good to know for those who were more anxious than eager with Xenoblade Chronicles X. My ultimate take away is that Xenoblade Chronicles X has taken more than a few missteps in its path to be an even bigger successor to an already massive original. Also, the story of Xenoblade Chronicles X has taken a couple of hits for its exploration aspect.

In reading Peter Brown's 8/10 review at Gamespot and Jim Sterling's 9/10 review, I was amused at how Brown is so unimpressed with the music enough to call it out in the Good/Bad summary while Sterling is in love with Hiroyuki Sawano's eclectic mix. Also of note, Sterling gripes on many of the bad aspects that Kollar and other reviewers mention, but felt that the good aspects outweigh them enough for him to laud the game highly.

If anything, it seems we'll be stuck reading the in-game manual and asking questions on forums as Xenoblade Chronicles X doesn't seem to explain itself as well as Xenoblade Chronicles did. I'm not looking forward to the material gathering RNG that Sterling mentioned in his review.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: The Earth Ends in 4 Days!
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2015, 12:50:43 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles had a story that was unique, and that was why I enjoyed it. Coupled with a great soundtrack, I think both came together and formed a solid concept and emotional core. I wouldn't say much in regards to the dialogue and even the narrative as a whole, but there was a lovely sense of magic and wonder as you traveled through the broken gods.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like a more tame concept, a pure sci-fi experience with a focus on survival, questing, and discovery. I like that both games, though similar in concept and mechanics at times, have very different natures. I wouldn't want a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (well, that's a flat-out lie, I would), I'd rather have a unique game. And if there's anything I can say about XCX, is it is different in a very welcome way.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
...  The most important review I want to highlight is Phil Kollar's 7/10 review. ...

I read the review based on your comment (generally trying to avoid much info before release) and didn't really understand his rating. The complaints seemed pretty trivial to dock the game a full 3 points, although he didn't have much positive text in the review so maybe he just didn't enjoy the entire experience?

In-game systems weren't explained well, it took too long to unlock things he wanted in the game, and story felt less important than exploration of the overall world. Did I miss any of his negatives?  Oh yes, off-screen play with the gamepad isn't great because the screen is too small.

I wonder if having to aggressively speed through the game, or having pre-set expectations about what gameplay would be like, affected his enjoyment?  My experience will surely be different, because I anticipate playing it for literally at least several months and have almost no expectations about the game other than hoping for an interesting world to discover. No mechs for the first 30 hours?  Sure, I'm ok with that.  Takes 40 hours to figure out what's happening in combat systems, and might have to look online if I want to learn about some of the finer details? Sure, no big deal.

Not saying anything negative about the review. Maybe after playing I'll feel like it's a 7 also. But nothing Koller wrote about as a negative seemed like a big deal for me.  Meh, whatever.  It's only a few days away now so I'll know soon enough exactly how I feel about the game...  ;D
NNID: ejamer

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: The Earth Ends in 3 Days!
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:27 AM »
The mech is the airship, why do people expect the airship to be unlocked from the start? It's standard RPG design.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »
The mech is the airship, why do people expect the airship to be unlocked from the start? It's standard RPG design.

In Xenogears you had a mech almost right out of the gate. That's a very different game though.

The trailers also had lots of focus on mechs because they are new and cool. So the hope to get one early isn't totally misplaced. (Even though it may be unrealistic, as you say. Giving people the big guns and access to rapid travel right out of the gate would seem odd.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Mechs add a new fold to the combat of the game, so getting a very drastic alteration to the experience 60 hours in is not a bad thing at all, in my opinion.