Author Topic: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!  (Read 160645 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
Where's Luke?

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate you destiny"

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
The real questions is where's Luuke.

That poster is stupid unfocused. There is something to be said for the simplicity of the original posters that reflected the movie. If the poster is a reflection of the movie it's going to be a mess. I hope dumbass there dies when he gets stabbed by his own hilt.

Most definitely not a JJ fan. Man is a Hack Fraud.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2015, 04:57:25 PM »

Most definitely not a JJ fan. Man is a Hack Fraud.

I know his directing can be "fruity" (hard to explain what I mean but it makes sense in my head) but Mission Impossible 3 and Star Trek (2009) are the best in their respective franchises so I can't call him a "hack" per se.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »
That's crazy talk. The first Mission Impossible followed by 4, then 5 are the best. With Star Trek it's Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, First contact. Trek '09 is better than the motion picture, but that is a bloody low bar to clear. Lets no forget that both of his Treks were Wrath of Khans.

His direction has always been "Nonsensical" and must be "Mystery" cause. His TED talk about mystery made it absolutely clear he has no idea how to tell a story. Almost none of his mysteries have any payoff with the worse offender being Trek '13 where every inch of that movie is worthy of mockery. Star War '15 is going to be terrible because JJ has yet to make a good movie or a movie that makes a ounce of sense. Even Michael Bay can point to The Rock and say yeah, that it was his one good movie.

He is going to try to emulate past works and he is going to fail as he has no idea what made them successful or good. Why do you think he is leaning so heavily on nostalgia?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
I like Star Trek '09 better than a lot of people, but to call it the best series is just completely insane. Maybe 5th or 6th.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
I guess I don't like the older movies as much.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Abrams either, but when you get handed a project like this, much like the Avengers, you have to put your heart and soul into making it a lovable movie. Abrams at least seems to understand the necessity of practical effects, even though the latest trailer implies anything but that. Seriously, we don't need to see what a Hyperspace Jump looks like in process. That cheapens the magic.

In any case, I'm tentatively interested.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Abrams either, but when you get handed a project like this, much like the Avengers, you have to put your heart and soul into making it a lovable movie. Abrams at least seems to understand the necessity of practical effects, even though the latest trailer implies anything but that. Seriously, we don't need to see what a Hyperspace Jump looks like in process. That cheapens the magic.

In any case, I'm tentatively interested.

We saw that in RotJ, it's not new.

That trailer was the best trailer I have ever seen that didn't also give away the entire movie. I hope there are no more trailers till after the movie comes out.       Fantastic!     

Looks like somebody who grew up loving Star Wars made this film!!

Also, while Luke is not Kylo Ren, he may indeed be a bad guy of some sort, maybe a fallen Jedi.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:39:38 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 20, 2015, 01:30:31 AM »
Yep, I've looked at the major spoilers but that trailer was refreshing vauge. The Avengers Age of Ultron and Man of Steel trailers were the worst offenders for explaining the whole plot.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
I agree the trailer is great, but I've come to wonder how many other franchises can guard this much information from the trailers and still drum up interest. 

Star Wars is THE sci-fi/fantasy franchise.  Even if you're my wife who doesn't care about them, you know almost everything about them through osmosis and its place in pop culture.  You can just leave a trail of bread crumbs for fans & cross promote w/Monday Night Football to get the broad audience interested enough to give it a try.

For a new franchise, you have to educate the public on what it is in hopes that they're engaged enough through the trailer to bother dealing with the theater experience.  Not that they don't go overboard with plot points a bit too much, but it's something worth considering. 

Regarding the actual trailer:

• I'm guessing Luke won't be revealed beyond the metal hand on R2D2.  In fact, I don't know for sure how much screen time he'll actually have in the movie proper.
  • I'm perfectly ok with the story not being clearly about one character. 
  • They show Finn facing off w/Kylo Ren at the end of the trailer with the blue light saber.  What I love is how undisciplined/anxious he's portrayed as, you see him almost winding up as he's about to swing the saber, undisciplined & telegraphing his movement.  I expect that battle will be a brutal beatdown of his character or there to show how outmatched he is compared to Kylo.
  • I really enjoy Kylo's perceived "hero" worship of Darth Vader.  Based on the trailer & poster, clearly he interprets building a complete Death Star as part of Darth Vader's legacy. 
  • I know Harrison Ford is up there in age, but I was hoping Han Solo was going to be played as cocky/brash like he was in the originals.  Maybe the trailer gives the wrong impression, but he appears world weary & to act as witness to the events of the trilogy to share with the new actors, not so much as a key player to the current story's events.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
Maybe Kylo is Han and Leia's son. And Han's reserved nature is based on him trying to save his son from the dark side. "Kylo Ren Solo, Grandson of Darth Vader"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
My prediction and (probably) possible spoiler - Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter, and Luke will die in the movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
Maybe Kylo is Han and Leia's son. And Han's reserved nature is based on him trying to save his son from the dark side. "Kylo Ren Solo, Grandson of Darth Vader"

As a fan of Jacen Solo's path to the Dark Side in the Legacy, I would be down with this. Kylo could be a spiritual successor of sorts to Darth Ceadeus.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
My prediction and (probably) possible spoiler - Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter, and Luke will die in the movie.

Not really a spoiler but to make make extra sure not to be a jerk about it.
Mark Hamil is already filming scenes for Episode 8 in Ireland. And rumor has it, so is Hayden Christensen.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
It's just a prediction though - based on nothing. But in regards to your spoiler'd tags...
Flashbacks and "ghost" scenes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 21, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
Maybe Kylo Ren and Rey are the new twins?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 21, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »
You know what really doesn't sit right with me? The new trailers, the factions, the designs. It's all just more of the same. All you need to make a good Star Wars trailer is a guy with a black mask and a red lightsaber, stormtroopers, tie fighters, x wings, and the Falcon. The Resistance and the First Order? The fact that NO ONE remembers what Jedi and Sith are? What is this, the galaxy where word of mouth circulates slower than Hyperspeed?

It's all the same notes as the older movies in an attempt to introduce a new audience. The problem is, EVERYONE HAS SEEN STAR WARS.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »
The fact that NO ONE remembers what Jedi and Sith are? What is this, the galaxy where word of mouth circulates slower than Hyperspeed?

I don't think that sounds so crazy.  Think about our world currently.  How many people know innate details about the current military actions in the middle east?  of the Iraq War?  Of vietnam and the World Wars?  We have recorded firsthand accounts of events that took place, but not every minute detail of what occurred.

One of Vader's generals refers to the force as an "antiquated religion".  Han Solo didn't believe it's existence when first meeting Obiwan & Luke.  Is it so crazy that they kept it hidden from the public at large and the historical records show a rebel attack on the second death star is what took down the empire?

Regarding the comments about it being "more of the same".  Firstly, it's clear Disney is withholding as much new information as they can other than getting a glimpse into the new characters.  Secondly, this is going to act as a reintroduction into the franchise.  Given these two pieces of information, I think it's perfectly likely that Kylo Ren's Empire falls at the end of the movie & a different threat approaches the "rebels".  There's a lot of opportunity for these movies to swing in a fresh new way, I don't think we have enough info to make judgement beyond "yep, it's star wars".

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 21, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
You know what really doesn't sit right with me? The new trailers, the factions, the designs. It's all just more of the same. All you need to make a good Star Wars trailer is a guy with a black mask and a red lightsaber, stormtroopers, tie fighters, x wings, and the Falcon. The Resistance and the First Order? The fact that NO ONE remembers what Jedi and Sith are? What is this, the galaxy where word of mouth circulates slower than Hyperspeed?

It's all the same notes as the older movies in an attempt to introduce a new audience. The problem is, EVERYONE HAS SEEN STAR WARS.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 21, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
The Jedi had been gone for 40+ years at this point, and I'm sure Palpatine did his best to erase their history as best he could. I don't think many people encountered them on a regular basis, if at all, even during the old republic days, so it doesn't seem that crazy that they could just fade out of memory.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »
General Tarkin said something to the effects of the last remnants of the old republic have been swept away and Vader that was all that was left. Add 40 years and the fact that Palpatine intended to rule forever and yeah

History became legend, legend became myth and somethings that should not be forgotten were lost.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
Well even in the prequel era when there was a ton of Jedi one would rarley see them. By the end of the Clone Wars when order 66 happened there were fewer than 1000 Jedi left.

That said we never really see the galaxy forget about the Jedi. We look through the films through the perspective of Luke who's been living in the sticks and has purposlly been left in the dark. Han Solo thinks its bull but knows what they were to some degree, and Leia knew first hand from her father.

The Jedi were smeared by Palpatine and most of the imoerals basically wouldn't talk of them but in insults.

As for the TFA The new post Jedi books do make it known that Luke is known as being the Last Jedi/Force User and the Republic's Golden Boy. 30 years later in the Weapon of the Jedi book he's described as being legendary and no one expect those in the know, knew what went down on Endor.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 26, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »
I am currently on chapter 4 of "Shattered Empire: Journey to The Force Awakens" Its a comic that bridges the end of Jedi, starting with what happens right after the Battle of Endor to what I assume is the beginning of Episode VII. For those that don't know, this was also done between Episodes II & III with the original "Clone Wars"(Gennadiy Tartakovsky's verison ) Anyway, this is considered "Cannon" and should shed a few nuggets for those interested.

So I'm reading this and   Luke Force blocks a couple of thermal detonators right in to a whole squad of Imperials with NO HESITATION. Now I'm not stating Dark Path here but there appeared to be no remorse in his actions. As far as I can tell, Jedi don't really kill in droves and the prequels tended to face them against battle droids and the likes of some furious beast but not too many "men" fell at the hands of the Jedi.

The above is speculation based on facts and not anything I know for sure or have read

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »
Well, in the Legacy material Luke went to the dark side at least twice and lead to some good story lines. It would make sense for something like that to happen here too. I do hope they deal with that in some fashion.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast