Author Topic: Hunt for Zelda Skyward Sword  (Read 24032 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Hunt for Zelda Skyward Sword
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »

So I have some time without my Son this weekend and I thought, "what perfect time to play Skyward Sword" with it coming out. 

I don't own a Wii Motion Plus.  Never saw a need for it and never got around to getting Resort so, I definitely want The EPIC BUNDLE.  You know the one with the Gold Wiimote+ and Anniversary Soundtrack.

To make sure I would be guaranteed The EPIC BUNDLE I pre-ordered it on Amazon the day it was listed as Pre-orderable.  About the end of October I was verifying everything was OK with the order and looking at it I noticed something disturbing.  Zelda wouldn't be here till the 25th of November!  I mean I like things on my Birthday but, that was after Thanksgiving which would Not Do.  Off to change my Shipping.

Standard... Still after Thanksgiving
2-Day... Before Christmas but what do you mean 2 day isn't Tuesday.
1-Day... Tuesday and just 2 more dollars then 2-Day (If your going in Full Hog anyways...)

Disappointed Amazon could not get the game to me at launch, I had made my decision.  I had informed the Misses.  Time passed.  I got Older.  I got Wiser.  I got Worried.

You know people will probably start to talk on Sunday.  The social element of any on release game purchase for me is very important.  Thats why I hunted Portal 2 down like a Wild Boar.  I plan started to form in my head...

Queue Plan Music
Step 1 *slap board, click boots*:  Check Amazon on the day of the 20th to see if my order could be cancelled.
Step 2 *slap board, click boots*:  Go to Walmart at Midnight and obtain bundle.
Step 3 *slap board, click boots*:  Maybe eat a Sandwich or Something.
*board falls*

The Plan was made and all Parties were informed.  I had even got a companion for the deed.  Though being 3 he really didn't know what he was signing up for.  Now where is a ridiculously oversized scarf or a Bow Tie, I hear there cool.

The Day of Reckoning has Arrived.  Fate had Dined to leave me Childless for this oncoming Day.

After a Hard Day of Podcast Chat Participation, Do'n It for the Kids folks, where we shattered through the goal like the line at the end of a foot race,  I took a bit of a nap .  Well I slept past Midnight.  It was time to figure this Out.

Amazon: Request for Cancellation is still viable
Pants: Check
Cat: Outside
Keys: Keys... where are those oh there they are. Check

Wait, its not Midnight so everyone that is open 24 hours a day may already be out.  No problem. *Heroic Voice*It's Time to Use TECHNOLOGY!*end Heroic Voice*

Alright here we go to Walmart.com  let me put in The EPIC BUNDLE.  Oh, Hey look I could get a Cinch Bag with a Nintendo Select Title.  Wait, The EPIC BUNDLE isn't listed on the site.  Thats odd. Well I'll just give them a call.

1:46am CST
Ring
"Thank you for calling Walmart."
Ring x 4
Female Wally World (FWW): Welcome to Walmart
I (Ceric):HELlo, I'm calling to see if you have any copies of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword in Stock.  In Specific the one with the Gold Wiimote bundled in, (aka The EPIC BUNDLE)
FWW: Let me check.
about 6 minutes later
FWW: I'm Sorry we don't have any.
Ceric: Thank you for your time.  You have a good night.

Thwarted but, not beaten.  Come on Internet what else is open 24 hours Daddy Needs a New Game.  Lets see maybe Target.  What do you mean its online exclusive bah.  It was then I knew I wasn't getting this game at Midnight and I may have to go to the Devil to get it earlier then Tuesday. 

Alright Gamestop.com, Lets Dance.  Sunglasses.... No, No, Put those mats away.   :cool;

Much better.  The EPIC BUNDLE.  Processing...

The Results are in: In Stock*

In Stock*?  Wait there is a Star there.  What does this mysterious Star means.  What Secrets does it hold?  Oh well it doesn't say anything on the site.  Talk about bad Footnote usage... lets see if the Interweb knows.  Hmmm, it seems to be Just bad English though I know its more Nefarious.  An opening for LawNinjas.

With my Bubble Popped I came here to provide a thread of Rainbows and Unicrons.

I know somewhere out there is a gamer getting Skyward Sword.  That Gamer is not me. So Tomorrow...Wait Today is another day and Will I over come this challenge.  Will I just start to play the Waiting Game again? (Probably)  Though I think I'm just going to go to sleep and Remiss that OSX doesn't have MS Paint...

On a Serious note does anyone have a Story they like to Share of Hunting Skyward Sword?
Now I have a compulsion to try to note that I used a Lance and Armor with Attack(L) and Heat Resistance
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:09:31 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt for Zelda Skyward Sword
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 04:39:39 AM »
I have an awesome story. 

I get to sit here on my backside whilst reading about people who now own and play this game while I wait till the 24th before I can buy it.  It is a doozy.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
They have the collector's edition in my local Kmart, think they had 4-5 left.  Not many Shop at Kmart and those that do perfer cheaper than the more expensive one.  Also Kmart is having an $20 gaming coupon for SYW (shop your way) members which is free to sign up. 

GS's still have it in my area as well--each store had 1-2 copies left so there's roughly 12 or so in my area.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
Around the 1st of November I went down to Target and got one of those reservation sleeves so I should be able to just walk into Target around 8am and get it. The wait till today has been kinda tough. Only a few more hours till I leave and get the game. Hopefully everything goes swimmingly. Speaking of water it seems it is going to rain here so hopefully I can get to Target before it starts.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:28:42 AM »
Walmarts are holding the bundle back for the Black Friday sale.

Which really, really sucks for those of us who planned to buy it there but have to work. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
I share your frustration. I live in the UK but own mainly North American consoles. I wont go into why right now but there are several reasons. As the Wii along with the 3DS is not region free I have to import all my games. There are very few retailers who will ship North American games here to the UK. The one I have been using on a regular basis for the last nine years is www.videogamesplus.ca in Canada. Anything I order from there typically takes 7 to 10 days to reach me. However they are reliable and have very good customer service although they are a small operation.

Any way I pre-ordered Skyward Sword from them and it was shipped on Thursday of last week which is 3 days before release in the US and 1 day before here in the UK. I had also pre-ordered Super Mario 3D Land from them which was shipped the Thursday before and I received it on Friday which is 8 days later. Judging by that I should get Skyward Sword this coming Friday or 8 days from being shipped. By that time loads of people in the US as well as here in the UK will have already been playing it.

I realise owning mostly US consoles this is something i have to deal with. As PS3 and many Xbox 360 games are region free it's not an issue with them. My PS3 is North American and my US Xbox 360 was replaced for the second time but this time for a UK model. Unfortunately with the Wii and 3DS I still have to import all my games. Anyway if all goes well I'll be playing Skyward Sword next weekend. I've got Mario to tie me down till then.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I have to wait until 11am EST to buy it because that's when Best Buy opens. I originally though it came out on the 21st for some reason but now I get to play it all day. Darn...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
I may go out hunting today, but I'm content (for now) just to let my Skyward Sword order play out.  Mine is currently slated for delivery on Nov. 23rd; the problem is that I won't be here due to travel over Thanksgiving. That's why I'm changed the order to be sent to my parents' house to await my arrival.  The sad part is, I won't get any (or much) time to play it. 

Since there won't be another console Zelda for a long time, as far as we know, I'm content to take my time with this one since it's supposed to be good.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
Wow,
I'm Happy to see responses so fast. Thank you all.

You know, I didn't think about K-Mart and we have one of those in Dickson as well.  We are going to be stopping by Toys R' Us today because they have Operation on Sale for $10 so I'll see if they have it.  That sort of stinks about Walmart.  I just don't really want to give Gamestop the business because they are a Monopoly in this Specialty and frankly get away with a bit.  Though the Pre-Order specials are good at times.

UncleBob aren't you sort of stuck with the Walmart Situation?  I don't remember there being much else that sells video games where your at.

On Amazon I'm still curious why they didn't Ship it out on Saturday or even Friday.  I know they use to have a thing where you get on or close to launch as possible. In this case that be Monday.

We've had Epic winds for the last few weeks here in Tennessee plus its gotten to the 70's again.  Hopefully you won't get soaked Maxi.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
I've often had the delay problem with Amazon over high-profile Nintendo launch games.  I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that Nintendo's street date is normally on a Sunday, but I could be wrong.

Ceric, where do you live in Tennessee.  We go Chattanooga pretty often to visit my wife's family.  I was actually able to pick up my Wii at a Circuit City there at launch, when there was none to be found here in Huntsville.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:27:15 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
I've often had the delay problem with Amazon over high-profile Nintendo launch games.  I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that Nintendo's street date is normally on a Sunday, but I could be wrong.

Ceric, where do you live in Tennessee.  We go Chattanooga pretty often to visit my wife's family.  I was actually able to pick up my Wii at a Circuit City there at launch, when there was none to be found here in Huntsville.
Thats Cool you live in Huntsville.  I wanted to work in that town when I graduated but it didn't work out.  I actually live in the Nashville area in Fairview.  I have my story posted here somewhere how I got my Wii but, it involved being prisoner in a Garden Center.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
I just pre-ordered it from Amazon. I hate going to the city to fight my way through crowds because my town doesn't have a games store. I live in Canada where we had thanksgiving in October so travelling isn't an issue. So I'd rather wait about a week or so for the game to get here. Besides, I still have 999 to wrap up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:14:51 AM by Lithium »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
Well I am off to grab the game.

Hopefully it isn't rough like this...

Hopefully I come back with this.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
Maxi: I got your rain...  The flooding of Hyrule is Neigh.  Don't forget your Grapple!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
Captains Log:
Upon arrival at planet Toys R' Us immediately began search for the Skyward Sword. Local inhabitants needed to be shown pictures of the relic.  It was revealed that shipment had yet to be procured.  Still searching.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
I had no trouble getting the game. I arrived just as the store was opening. I think I was the first in the store. I got a 20 pack of double A's. They didn't have any Wiimote chargers in stock so I will have to get that later. I also noticed that there was a deal there where if you buy the NSMB Wii bundle then you get Skyward Sword for free. Seems like a good deal if you don't have a Wii yet. Got multiplayer and single player covered with 2 games. That was at Target for those wondering. Anyway you guys probably won't see me for a few days.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
Here We GOOOOO:
On our Journey we stopped at Target much like Maxi.  Though the Target in Bellevue had none in stock.  Dejected and Paper Towel Stocked I remembered there was a Best Buy down the walk way.  To the Best Buy.  What did I behold but: 

My search was to an end.  Now to fix Amazon.

Canceel Request from Phone.  Error
Cancel Request from Laptop. Error.

Call Customer Service.  In Amazon Land you don't Call Amazon Customer Service.  Amazon Customer Service Calls You!

Which they did.  After a nice conversation it seems the courier has it already.  Amazon said I could just Refuse the order and get a full refund.  I have till January since it was holiday.  So we should be all good.  Mission accomplished now to go play the game.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
I just saw on Amazon that my pre-order wouldn't arrive until the 23rd. Switched it to next day and now it says the 22nd. I usually get stuff from Amazon earlier than expected, but we'll see. I don't have class starting Wednesday, so I'll have ample time to play with few distractions.

I'd make a Ceric like journey, but I still have Kirby to beat.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
I ordered Mario 3D Land, the Skyward Sword Collector's Edition and Mario Kart 7 on Amazon in one shot a couple months ago with one day shipping on all of them. I was expecting Mario this past Tuesday like it said, but got a notice last Sunday that it had shipped and ended up getting it Monday. I'm hoping that happens again, but I haven't gotten an email about it yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
I hope you were smart enough to get your "free" $10 gift card.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Whats the blue book thingy???!!! Is that a guide?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
Whats the blue book thingy???!!! Is that a guide?

Yes, it's the collector's edition strategy guide (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+Skyward+Sword+Collector%27s+Edition+%28Game+Guide%29+-+Nintendo+Wii/3550356.p?id=1218412711323&skuId=3550356&st=Zelda&lp=4&cp=1)

I guess it's $40 because it includes a cloth map. Even $25 is pricey for a strategy guide though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
Got the Epic Bundle today and i'm playing it! :D

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
I hope you were smart enough to get your "free" $10 gift card.
Going to assume that wasn't an insult.
Yep, got my $10 gift w/ a really neat set of USB Lights that came with the gift card.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
UncleBob aren't you sort of stuck with the Walmart Situation?  I don't remember there being much else that sells video games where your at.

Okay, so here's my Skyward Adventure (a.k.a. How Walmart, Toys R Us and Target lost sales all in one day).

So, as I previously mentioned, I planned on getting the bundle pack at Walmart, but we screwed me over by holding it back for the Black Friday special.  No big deal - I saw on CAG that TRU was running a $10 Gift Card special when you get the game there.  So, I called over to TRU and was told they're doing a midnight release!  And they have plenty of the bundle version!  Sweet!

Meanwhile, I mention it to a co-worker who gives me the money to pick her up a (non-bundled) copy w/gift card.

Come Saturday night, after I help my wife with a stupid-crazy catering job, I get ready to make the hour drive to Toys R Us... Thankfully, I get smart and call first... no, no midnight release.  Sonuva.

So, dejected and rejected, I ask what time they opened today.  8 AM.  Cool.  I get up super-early in the morning, shower, throw on my rockin' Zelda shirt and Mario Hat, dig out my Orchestrated Zelda OoT Soundtrack and take off on my adventure.

I arrive at TRU at 7:30.  Hang out for a bit... go in... look around... NO ZELDA ANYWHERE.  So I ask - "You got Zelda?"  "What's that?" "..." - they go to the back and pull out a box of the individual game.  "You got bundles?"  "What's that?" "..." - they go back to the back and... nothing.

I tell them thank you, grab an ad on my way out the door and go on to Target.  Screw you, TRU - you lied about having the bundle and lied about a midnight release.  Bite me.  Get to Target, look around... no Zelda.  Finally, I see cases of it sitting on a cart.  Seeing the Price Matching signs, I ask if they price match gift card offers.  No.  So then I took a single copy - one of the bundles - just in case I can't find it anywhere else.

Then, I swing over to Best Buy... about 30 minutes before they open... that's fine - I wait.  They open.  I go in.  Look around... no Zelda.  "You got Zelda?" "That comes out Tuesday." "..."

He quickly realized his mistake and said he'd go to the back and look for them - meanwhile, I see they're running a $10 gift card deal too!  Sweet!  He comes back and asks if I want the regular or the bundle.  "One of each, please."  "You want the strategy guide too?" "No.  Well... will you match Toys R Us?" - TRU also had where if you bought the game and the guide, you get a $25 gift card.  He looks at the ad and says he'll do it.

So, to ring it up, he takes $10 off the first game, $10 off the second game and $5 off the guide - then charges me for a $25 gift card.

Then the system forces him to ring me up two free $10 cards for the two games I bought.  I point out to him that I don't think that's right.  He shrugs and says he'll do it anyway, the system won't let him not do it.  (Really, he probably should have just did a $15 gift card initially...)

So then, I bring back my Target copy to Target.  "Anything wrong with it?"  "No, just Best Buy price matched." "..."

So, screw you Walmart, Toys R Us and Target.  Yay Best Buy!  Extra $10 to make up for the trip!

Then, to make it all even better, the Best Buy mobile in the mall had the phone I was planning to get.  It's currently $100 at Walmart and, starting Friday, there's a $100 gift card with all smart phone purchases.

Well, they had the phone for $1 out the door.

Yay!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.