Author Topic: The GameCube 10  (Read 20596 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The GameCube 10
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
I've spent at least 2 New Years with my Animal Crossing Village.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
I've gone through the same cycle with all three Animal Crossing games so far: playing every day for about 6-8 months, really into it, then get completely burnt out and never play it again.

I'm extremely excited for the 3DS version.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
I like Super Mario Sunshine, but I really think there were some missed opportunities there.  For example, the emphasis on water physics would have made the usual ice level much more interesting than just a place with slippery ground, but that game didn't even have an ice level.  I envision gameplay based on hot and cold water in a freezing cold environment, and I just sigh for what could have been.  The setting didn't have to limit it, either.  If the goop can be magically electrified, why can't it be magically cold?  Why can't Bowser have a giant snow cone machine installed on top of the mountain?  Hey, it's a resort anyway, so why can't it just have a ski slope, magical or otherwise?

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Super Monkey Ball was the game that I got with my Gamecube, I had so much fun with it between the main game and the party games, especially monkey target.  I've purchased several of the sequels but none of them have quite matched the magic of the first game.

I never played the first Pikmin on Gamecube (but I'm working on playing through it now on Wii) but I picked up the second one and had a blast with it.  Such a brilliant idea for a game and also so frustrating that Wii never got an entry in the series, and neither did the DS, which I thought would be a good fit for the series with the touch screen controls.

Mario Sunshine just didn't do it for me, I tried hard to get into the game on more than one occasion but just couldn't.  I loved Mario 64 and I loved the Galaxy games but I just couldn't get into Sunshine.  Maybe I need to give it one more try one of these days.

Animal Crossing was a blast, I was seriously addicted to that game for a good year or so, I remember waking up early before school to play (collecting mushrooms maybe) which was insane considering I'm anything but a morning person.  The characters, the holidays, the change of seasons, the collecting aspect were all brilliant.  And the NES games being included was such a great bonus, I played so much Wario's Woods in particular.  The first year it was out I was over at a friend's house and there were 2 or 3 of us all in our Animal Crossing towns for New Years.  I never played the DS or Wii versions since reviews all said they were basically the game.  I'm thinking that I might pick of the Wii version since it's on sale for $15 on Black Friday.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
The problem with the NES games in Animal Crossing was that it was too tempting to use an Action Replay to unlock all of them, which I did, and not being able to do that without giving yourself the full catalog of items kills a lot of the draw of the game, or at least it did for me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Wait what? I unlocked the games, but no other items using Action Replay...
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
Well then I did it the wrong way. I read up on it beforehand; obviously not enough.

J.P. Corbran

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 01:22:05 AM »
Cheatin' ass.... *shun*

Metroid Prime was a fantastic game, but so much of a chore that the thought of replaying it has never crossed my mind. Well, it may have crossed but I'm pretty sure I chased it out. Really though it was a haunting experience that really did pull you (well, me) in.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 01:47:29 AM »
Cheatin' ass.... *shun*
To be clear, you couldn't unlock all of the games without "cheating" since Nintendo never released the eReader cards necessary to unlock them. And those games were the only reason I bought Animal Crossing. At least my sister got some good playtime out of the main game.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »
Metroid Prime is an amazing game but in no way the best Metroid.  The best Metroid is Super Metroid.  But Metroid Prime is still amazing and would be a great choice for being the best Gamecube game.  Personally I prefer the second game but they're both excellent.

Though I can't imagine playing through the first game again because of those damn Chozo Ghosts.  Those enemies are hard and time consuming.  In Super Metroid you'll encounter a new area and the enemies will be hard.  Later you'll backtrack through that area after getting some power-ups and just smoke those enemies in one hit.  This is important because backtracking can kind of suck and it is required in Metroid games to allow for the non-linear progression.  Making it easier and quicker to get through on the backtracking is good design.  Metroid Prime makes backtracking tedious and time consuming as the enemies don't get any easier so you have to spend five minutes in each room clearing out Chozo Ghosts.

The Metroid Prime games are fantastic but have too much blantant padding.  If there wasn't a stigma with shorter games then perhaps Retro wouldn't feel the need to add fetchquests at the end and have time consuming enemy encounters during backtracking.  As good as Metroid Prime is, the game would really knock your socks off if the fat was trimmed off it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Metroid Prime is an amazing game but in no way the best Metroid.  The best Metroid is Super Metroid.

One opinion deserves another, and you are dead wrong IMO.  I found Super Metroid so frickin' boring (especially once you got to the water realm, where the level design gets convoluted and tedious) that it took me years to finally finish a playthrough of it.  Metroid Prime is the game that made me a fan of the franchise, especially since it was a game where secrets were hidden not because I didn't bomb a completely arbitrary block or fall through a fake floor (which both look like all the other ones), but because there was a puzzle in play I needed to solve.

Metroid Prime took a (IMO) fairly standard action series and added a "detective" element and puzzle-solving to it that really hooked me as a fan of adventure games.  It was one of the rare First Person games of its time that asked the player to think and explore, rather than merely shoot them in the face with increasingly-ridiculous firepower.  It more than deserves a spot on this list.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:37:34 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
I love Wind Waker!  It's amazing how, despite the initial reaction to the reveal trailer, its stock has seemingly gone up consistently over the years.   

If they ever re-release it in any format, is it too much to dream that Nintendo might complete the two missing dungeons that were originally planned for the game?

My favorite parts of the game were sailing through the storm while searching for Jabun, and seeing Valoo torch Ganon's watch tower.  The world and it's characters were so well-realized, and most of them had a significant part to play in the story.  That was probably my biggest disappointment with Twilight Princess; the game set up a lot of characters, but didn't seem to do much with them in the second half of the game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:45:48 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:24 AM »
I finally beat Wind Waker a couple years ago after multiple attempts to play through it during the Gamecube era.  I don't know why I never originally got through it but it's a great game and it does hold up great.  The style of the game was excellent, the gameplay was great, the sailing was a little annoying at times but the exploration aspect was fun, and the story was solid.  The atmosphere of the game was so well done, from going to the grandma's house and feeling the sense of sadness, to how goofy Tingle was, the solemness of going underwater into the castle, all so greatly done.

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:19 AM »
"But the haters were wrong: Metroid Prime turned out to be one of the best games in the franchise—so good, in fact, that its two follow-ups couldn't begin to reach the high bar set by the original."

Good article, but I disagree with this statement.  Echoes is arguably on par with the original Prime IMO and Corruption comes pretty close.  Both awesome games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
You either love Echoes or you don't.  I did not.  People universally like Prime.  I personally feel the third game is better then the second.  Though despite that Echoes didn't reach the bar that Prime set simply from this division.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Prime 1 is one of my favorite games ever so it was a huge disappointment when I couldn't get into Prime 2 much. It wasn't even the challenge (I got past boost guardian) that bothered me, it just felt like the same game with less variation and it was so easy to get lost in the world.

I actually had more fun with Sunshine when I initially rented it than I had playing Mario 64. There's a lot of problems with the game including the camera, but I hate how a lot of media outlets gave it 9s and 10s when it came out and now bash the hell out of it. I don't know I just really liked that game.

As far as WW and TP, I guess I liked TP a little bit more even though it was an OOT clone. I enjoyed the scale of the game even though both games were fairly easy even in comparison to OOT, a game I've played through multiple times. Overall, looking back on it GCN was one of my favorite consoles ever and I feel like it was underrated because it didn't have a huge mature game or online and Nintendo made too many marketing mistakes (making the main GCN color purple and not marketing the black system). In a way it kind of angers me that the Wii has had so much success without really being a huge step up from GCN, having the same gaming droughts, and Nintendo becoming lazy in some sense.

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
RE4 was a great game, the atmosphere in the game amazing, the gameplay was great, the story was solid, the graphics were great for the time, the characters were good, and the game was full of great moments.  I agree about the scene where you're in the house with Luis and being under constant attack, that was awesome.  The abandoned farm or whatever it was was also another one of my favorites, great atmosphere.

I bought the Wii version a couple years ago when it was $10 on Black Friday but haven't played much of it.  Maybe I should do that one of these days.

Offline frostybro24

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
The nintendo gamecube is easily my favorite game system of all time. its the first system i really grew up with and was able to fully experience.  I love everything about it: the look, the controller(i wore the rubber off of more than one control stick), and the wide variety of games, including some of my favorites of all time. In the future i want to purchase and play every decent to great game that exists on the system.
You got a small key! You're on your way!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2011, 04:29:31 AM »
RE4 was a great game, the atmosphere in the game amazing, the gameplay was great, the story was solid, the graphics were great for the time, the characters were good, and the game was full of great moments.  I agree about the scene where you're in the house with Luis and being under constant attack, that was awesome.  The abandoned farm or whatever it was was also another one of my favorites, great atmosphere.

I bought the Wii version a couple years ago when it was $10 on Black Friday but haven't played much of it.  Maybe I should do that one of these days.

You definately should. It's the definitive version of the game, plus it has all the Ada Wong missions from the PS2 version. Ada has a different weapon loadout and while her trek through the game is somewhat more random than Leon's (didn't Krauser DIE?), it's just as tight. I strongly considered triple-dipping on the game and getting the HD version on PSN but decided not to because I don't think I could go back to aiming with the right stick instead of the Wii Remote.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
Soul Calibur 2 to this day, is my favorite fighting game (not counting smash bros). I really hope we get to see Link return to the world of Soul Calibur on the Wii U or 3DS. The series I'm told hit a little rough patch, but is now on pace to bring it all home again. We want LINK!

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
Haha, had to sneak in a photo of Ivy eh? I love this game, I owned PS2 version, then bought a GC version because of Link and it was better on GC since the arcade unit was based on the GC hardware (the Triforce).  Still one of my favorite fighting game and the best SoulCalibur game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
ah rogue leader, here is video of us playing Rogue Leader around the time when it came out, but yeah you cant see the game, pre-youtube...

http://www.tetrametrics.com/theperm/Misc/halloween.avi
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post