Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755204 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2350 on: September 19, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
Hahaha! I, too, bought a couple more GB games. Decided to rebuy Super Mario Land after all even though I still have the physical copy. And picked up Mole Mania also. I added a bunch of other GB games to my wishlist like CATRAP and Balloon Kid and all the Kirby GB games. Probably get them next month but with a bunch of stuff releasing tomorrow (Amiibo, Link's Awakening and Untitled Goose) I figured I better wait a month and spread out my spending. Plus, I still have a couple GB games to complete now like Wario Land and DKL3. This whole GB VC has really fired me up about those games again so hopefully it works out better this time with these recommended titles.

Also, going through the eShop, that Game Boy Color line-up looks like it could be wallet busting too. I had really stopped paying attention to VC releases but I saw at least 7 titles that I would consider buying even before hearing others recommendations. Be prepared ejamer! Be prepared.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »

* Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - lots of nostalgia for this one, and not sure how it will hold up so many years later... used to be my favorite Game Boy game

I'd argue it largely holds up.  Only grievance I have anymore is how zoomed-in everything feels where you don't have much view of what's ahead compared to the console Marios, but it has some neat power-ups, fun level design, interesting worlds and enemies, and you get to beat up Wario at the end.

I'm wondering how Wario Land 1 holds up now though.  I played it so many times as a kid cause I wanted to collect enough gold to get the castle, but I haven't played it since then.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 20, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
I'm wondering how Wario Land 1 holds up now though.  I played it so many times as a kid cause I wanted to collect enough gold to get the castle, but I haven't played it since then.

I played through a couple of years ago, and remember feeling like it held up better than expected.
The game is definitely slow-paced - so maybe it wouldn't be as good for someone coming in without nostalgia?
Will probably play a few levels again over the weekend now that I'm on a Game Boy kick, so will post any thoughts or impressions if it's helpful.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 20, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »
I just received The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Sega Genesis Mini, and the Snake Amiibo from Amazon. I wasn’t supposed to get the latter two until next week. I’ll take it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 20, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »
I just received The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Sega Genesis Mini, and the Snake Amiibo from Amazon. I wasn’t supposed to get the latter two until next week. I’ll take it.

Yay!
My Sega Genesis Mini also arrived; being this early was also a surprise.  Won't have time to hook it up until tomorrow (at least) due to work... but am pretty excited. Despite a few duds in the roster, there are a lot of games on it that I'd like to try playing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: September 20, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
I also bought the Link’s Awakening Link Amiibo. Somebody stop me.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 30, 2019, 02:56:11 AM »
Well, I'm back from a bit of vacation so all you spambots better watch out. Didn't do much purchasing although I did happen to snag a little something for $60.00.

Never thought I'd be the owner of genuine GameCube component cables but dreams can come true. I guess when you are a true GameCube die-hard, eventually the universe will find a way to provide all your GameCube desires. Can't wait to get that Spice Cube with 4 Spice controllers to drop in my lap now as well.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 30, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
Well, I'm back from a bit of vacation so all you spambots better watch out. Didn't do much purchasing although I did happen to snag a little something for $60.00.

Awesome! I used to own one of these, but when selling off my GameCube collection got something like 3 times that for the cable alone. A quick eBay search suggests that pricing hasn't gone down in the meantime.

Where were you lucky enough to grab this one?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 30, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
I have the Gamecube component cables but they're in some drawer somewhere at my parents' house.  I'm pretty sure they didn't throw it out since they don't throw away non-garbage things very often.  Still it's annoying to have something so valuable and not really know where it is.

The Gamecube taught me that the trick to having a valuable retro game collection is to own the least successful console of a generation and at the time buy the best games and accessories for it.  It helps if that's the only console you have for that generation so it gets your full attention.  Unfortunately with the increase in digital distribution this strategy doesn't really work anymore.  Your Xbox One collection isn't going to be worth much if all the "physical" games you bought need patches that are no longer available to make them worth playing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 01, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
Your Xbox One collection isn't going to be worth much if all the "physical" games you bought need patches that are no longer available to make them worth playing.

The real value will be the HDD of the system that has all the necessary patches. I also imagine this will be the case for games that were pulled from digital shops (Ducktales Remastered).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 01, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
Your Xbox One collection isn't going to be worth much if all the "physical" games you bought need patches that are no longer available to make them worth playing.

The real value will be the HDD of the system that has all the necessary patches. I also imagine this will be the case for games that were pulled from digital shops (Ducktales Remastered).

The contents of a hard drive can be copied though so someone could probably make an easy "counterfeit" drive.  Though I guess for this gen and somewhat for the prior one the process will be to get the physical copy and then download a pirated version of the patch, likely using some hack to fool the console into thinking it's really connecting to a legit server.  Of course the tech that would allow that would probably just allow for pirating digital downloads of the games period.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 01, 2019, 08:44:40 PM »
With physical media, piracy still happens... but there is intrinsic value for many collectors to have the actual "thing".

With digital only content, there is nothing to own, so you are trusting entirely on people feeling morally obliged to pay for content; once that's not even an option, it becomes really hard to argue against straight up piracy. Nobody is going to pay a premium on the second hand market to get a hard drive with pre-downloaded content tied to someone else's account.

--

I bought a game-related thing today: a brand new 8-Bit Link amiibo!

This will go perfectly with my 8-Bit Mario amiibo, and be a great replacement for my "pee stick" Link. (That one was a gift, but is kind of an ugly sculpt. Ok, this one is kind of ugly too... but in a nostalgic and humorous way.)

My daughter said that Link's big nose reminds her of Jughead.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:16:36 PM by ejamer »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: November 01, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (Wii)

Owned this game previously, but sold my copy before playing when the prices were high. Second-hand prices have dropped slightly since then - so buying a cheaper replacement copy to fill out my Wii collection seemed fun.

A bit of a shame that I also sold the GameCube predecessor, as that one hasn't dropped in price...  but supposedly this is still a solid stand-alone story.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: November 01, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
Might be a blessing in disguise you only have the sequel. Any time I get a hankering to play Radiant Dawn I always feel I need to play Path of Radiance first and by the time I push through that I am burned out enough that I take a break and forget to go back. I've never actually finished Radiant Dawn because of this. At this point I may hold out until the inevitable remakes drop on the Switch/Switch Pro.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: November 01, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
I can totally see that happening - although I enjoy Fire Emblem games, by the end of each one I'm kind of sick of them and ready for a break. Playing two back-to-back seems like an unlikely thing to happen. :)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: November 30, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
Nobody buying games during the Black Friday sales?

I looked at a bunch; the 50% on many 3DS Atlus games was tempting, but in the end I settled with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (3DS eShop) as my holiday purchase. Nothing says Thanks like a return to classic Castlevania-styled action.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »

I looked at a bunch; the 50% on many 3DS Atlus games was tempting, but in the end I settled with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (3DS eShop) as my holiday purchase. Nothing says Thanks like a return to classic Castlevania-styled action.

I enjoyed Curse of the Moon.  The swap mechanic is neat (has a very TMNT feel), and you get to play as all the key stakeholders of Ritual of the Night.

I ended up getting this haul over the Thanksgiving weekend:

God of War PS4 ($10)
Control ($30)
Uncharted: Lost Legacy ($10)
Persona Q2 ($20)

Super Mario Party ($30 - for kids' christmas present)

Needless to say, i'll be set on games for a while.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 03, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
I got a Hori Split Pad Pro over the weekend, and so far I'm very happy with it. I almost exclusively play my Switch in handheld mode, and these are a lot more comfortable than Joy-Cons, with better sticks and a real D-Pad. If you spend a lot of time in handheld mode I highly recommend getting these.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 04, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
I got a Hori Split Pad Pro over the weekend, and so far I'm very happy with it. I almost exclusively play my Switch in handheld mode, and these are a lot more comfortable than Joy-Cons, with better sticks and a real D-Pad. If you spend a lot of time in handheld mode I highly recommend getting these.

Do you have to take it off in order to slide it into the dock?  Lately i've been playing mostly handheld, there's definitely a cramp factor to holding the switch for longer than an hour.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 04, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »

Do you have to take it off in order to slide it into the dock?  Lately i've been playing mostly handheld, there's definitely a cramp factor to holding the switch for longer than an hour.

No, the handles go down a bit but the dock raises the system enough that they’re still above the surface it’s on. As long as you’ve got room to accommodate the fact that they make it wider it’ll fit in the dock just fine.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: December 13, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

For ejamer, who's concerned about this forum's sudden lack of purchasing power, I did pick up some stuff in the past week even if Black Friday itself was a bust.

I picked up Tomodachi Life and Miitopia (which seemed like a fitting combo) as well as Bit.Trip.Saga all for 3DS. I did purchase Yooka-Laylee 1 from the eShop even if the majority opinion seems to be that it loses one's interest after awhile. But the big purchase and item I'm most excited about is one I made a couple days ago:

I'm finally a Virtual Boy owner. All I've got is Mario Tennis but over time I hope to track down Wario Land and Mario Clash at least as well as others. (Personally, I'd like to play through at least all the North American released VB games but I'm not sure how feasible that may be depending on the prices for those games.)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: December 13, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »

Well done, sir. Well done!

(I still haven't tried a Virtual Boy, and don't know whether buying one today is a sign of dedication or craziness. But it's got a few games that are supposed to be really good... so I guess the former?  Either way, I'm jealous.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:47:38 PM by ejamer »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: December 13, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »

Well done, sir. Well done!

That reaction there makes it all worthwhile. I'm glad you approve.

The person I bought it from was this older fellow who said he still had a Virtual Boy brand new and unopened so maybe you'll get an opportunity for one yet. Personally, my mindset when getting it is that I probably wouldn't keep it. I'd like to play as many games for it as I can but, after that, I think I'll put it up for sale and should be able to get my money back from it and just consider it like a rental.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: December 13, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »
I've never had any interest in the Virtual Boy meself, but I can understand why some people would find it an interesting footnote. Usually when I see people talking about the system though, I hear about how rare and expensive are the games, so even though there are just 14 games it won't be so easy to get them all.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: December 22, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Last I checked (e few years ago) most of the games weren't too bad price-wise, but there are about 4 that are exceptionally rare and pricey including Teleboxer (sp?).

I've not turned mine on in years so no idea if it still works, but it makes a nice display piece on my game shelf.
My Game Collection