Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755091 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1300 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
Military Madness (TG16 on VC):
Got this through my club nintendo points.

Cool game in the style Famicom/Advance Wars. I mainly got this because i had 600 remaining points through CN and 600 is exactly how much TG-16 games cost on VC. Also i remembered how Dr. Sparkles liked it (i did also kinda wanted to get Biomiracle Upa which also costs 600 more than regular NES games because it's "import" or something).

It plays decently enough, for such an old game. Though i wonder if all levels are single screen only. First two levels were simple enough but third is already a challenge.

Geo effects, units getting experience and formation bonuses is neat. It's kinda shame it doesn't save between levels but ah well.

Levels do grow to be quite large later on. There is a password system that you can use to skip levels, but that's probably not necessary thanks to the ability to suspend/resume play with VC games.

I rather liked this game - it certainly makes Advance Wars seem not-so-advanced. Made me curious about the WiiWare release, but never did pick that one up.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 03, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I got the WiiWare version. It looked really nice and made me wish there was a modern take on it. Never got too far into it but I did play the multiplayer before WiFi got cut. Still worth a try if you like the game. Made me go back and get the VC version as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #1302 on: August 04, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »
I just got unEpic and Super Meat Boy on Steam, I was hoping to get them on PSN but it doesn't look like they are out there. I went online to look for Pier Solar HD but it also appears to have been delayed again so I picked up a couple other steam games I been holding out for. Really liking unEpic but haven't tried Super Meat Boy yet.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 04, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
I just got unEpic and Super Meat Boy on Steam, I was hoping to get them on PSN but it doesn't look like they are out there. I went online to look for Pier Solar HD but it also appears to have been delayed again so I picked up a couple other steam games I been holding out for. Really liking unEpic but haven't tried Super Meat Boy yet.

Unepic isn't on PSN, but it is on the Wii U eShop. And I would pay an insane amount of money for a version of Super Meat Boy on the Vita, which sadly doesn't seem like it will ever happen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #1304 on: August 04, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »

Unepic isn't on PSN, but it is on the Wii U eShop. And I would pay an insane amount of money for a version of Super Meat Boy on the Vita, which sadly doesn't seem like it will ever happen.

yeah I discovered that which is why I got them on Steam, no Wii U yet.

« Reply #1305 on: August 05, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
Was at Walmart and noticed they are now selling pre-owned games, Hastings started selling retro games recently too so I decided to browse their PS3 section and got Street Fighter X Tekken for like $12 bucks so that kind of makes up for buying those two Steam games that I lost interest in after an hour or so.

I am tempted to buy Shovel Knight Adventures after reading the good reviews of it. I am not sure I want to spend any more money on video games right now though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:11:37 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
I lost my PS2 collection a ways back due to theft, and decided recently to start rebuilding as well as trying out a few new games while I'm at it.  Spend the last weekend scouring Craigslist & pawn shops, because unfortunately, I don't have any used game shops in the area that don't have ridiculous prices.  I think I did pretty good with my haul:

PS2 Fat w/1 memory card & 2 controllers, all in great condition (bought off of a dad on craigslist whose son hardly played it).
Spare PS2 mem card, 2 PS1 mem card.
Final Fantasy XII
Bully
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Kingdom Hearts 2 (I need to find 1, still)
Dynasty warriors 3
Twisted Metal: Black

All for a total of...$50!.  I don't think I did too bad.  Think i'll have to rely on the internet to pick up much else, considering my severe lack of local options.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:33:55 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 07, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »
Did you know that with the PS2 emulator, you can put your PS2 disk in your PC and run it like that? Heck you can even run it in HD without taking out the disk.

Is that still considered piracy even if you are using the disk?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »
Did you know that with the PS2 emulator, you can put your PS2 disk in your PC and run it like that? Heck you can even run it in HD without taking out the disk.

Is that still considered piracy even if you are using the disk?

There are two problems with that approach for me:

1) At the present moment, I don't have a PC that's newer than 2004.
2) Even if I had my planned beefy gaming PC, time right now is a valuable commodity to me, and taking the time to figure out PS2 emulation and setting everything up properly at this juncture is too high.  Having the console itself right now was the cheapest both in time and money right now for me to be able to plug-and-play my favorite games.

Maybe I'll revisit emulation when I've gotten issue one changed above, but I'm a ways out before being willing to plink down $700+ for a gaming PC that'll have longevity.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 07, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
You don't need a fantastic PC. Hell, the laptop I bought two years ago for homework with an intergrated graphics card can run all PS2 games in HD at their native framerate.

I mean, I suppose that's still a problem for you but it doesn't take much to run it.

« Reply #1310 on: August 07, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
I have a laptop that is barely 2 years old, with integrated graphics and 8GB ram and I can't get PS2 games to run at an acceptable frame rate without seriously  tweaking every little thing and sacrificing quality. It is the same with Dolphin I can get games to run no problem but the quality sucks. As for the PS2 emulator, they are NOT newbie friendly so if you are not intimately familiar with emulators stay away from PS2 emu scene, its more hard core than PS1 emu scene and in my experience PS1 emulators all suck balls. That is why I gladly pay for these games on PSN and I still keep an old PS2 lying around just in case.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
What's your CPU on that thing?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
Front Mission 3 (PSOne Classics via PSN)

The game sounds pretty cool, and even if it disappoints I'm ok with dropping the $3 (sale price) to give it a shot.  Really need to get a PS3 controller synced to my PSP Go though...
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #1313 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »
What's your CPU on that thing?

AMD A6 34020M Quad Core 1.5 Ghz 8GB RAM, my previous laptop was an i7 Quad Core 2.0 Ghz with
8GB RAM and it had trouble with PS2 and Dolphin also. I could get it to run smooth if I tweaked it all to hell but I am was not satisfied with the results. My views on PS1 emulation refers mostly to how they handle CDDA which is essential for certain games, specifically MK Trilogy, the game runs perfectly but no background music which is a deal breaker for me. There are other games that until they figure out how to get CD audio to work I refuse to play that way. Sadly MK Trilogy has never been reissued in any form since N64 so I am stuck with emulation as it is one of the super rare games that isn't playable on a PS2.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:28:36 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »
I just bought the Letter for fifty cents! GOTY here I come!

« Reply #1315 on: August 11, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
I am thinking about getting a 360 now that they are cheap and the library is solid. I already have a PS3, what games would someone recommend for a person who already has a PS3, like what games can I NOT get  on PS3 that I can on 360 that I should? Or which versions of multiplats are better like if I don't have a game already and I have both consoles which would be best?

I am not that into shooters, especially 1st Person variety, so I am looking more like Fable and whatever else they have that isn't COD or HALO.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »
You need to try different emulators and sound plugins. I haven't played MKT on an emulator in a long time, but I know ePSXe plays the CDDA if you set it up right, and so did Connectix VGS back in the day, IIRC.

Also, MK Trilogy works 99% perfect on a PS2. The only bugs I ever ran into were if you don't continue when you get Game Over the game will hang, or it will freeze when you beat the game (might depend on the treasure you choose).

I don't know what your GPU is, but your CPU specs are too low to run Dolphin or PCSX2 very well. They are both extremely CPU dependent. nullDC should work just fine though, if you're into Dreamcast.

MK Trilogy works perfect on PS3 too (remember, all PS3s are BC with PS games). There's always the PC version too, which is identical to the PSX version, just needs a patch to run on Windows 7 or 8.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:52:11 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 11, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »
Just picked up The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) and Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbone). Pretty late to get Ghosts, but for $23.70 brand new it's a pretty good deal. Should get my money's worth.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:42 PM »
My order from play-asia finally arrived:

65$ for all.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 12, 2014, 12:57:51 AM »
AW **** SON

You're gonna have a hell of an awesome time playing those games. Can't wait to read what you think.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: August 12, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
It's gonna be a while till i get to actually play them.

I am too deep in my DMC/character action games phase to try something else.

I am not gonna start VLR until i finish 999 (which i don't even have).

This copy of "My Little King" had scratched disc and one of plastic thingies that holds the disc inside was broken... I think they sold me used version...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:33 AM »
I've got an itch to buy a game this month. I may finally pick up Wind Waker HD, but I've also been thinking about finally giving Assassin's Creed II a try. My Wii U eshop backlog is substantial as well. Part of me wants to finally get a 3DS too. Too many games, too little time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Darksiders 2 on Wii U for $20, also has $10 in credit at Play N Trade.

I thought the first one was okay, played it on PS3. It started strong then fizzled toward the middle and end. I wanted to get the Wii U version because it comes with the DLC packs. I wasn't sure if there was a version on PS3 that came with the extra content so I waited until I could get the Wii U version at a low price. I might not even get to it, but the value is nice.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
I ended up getting Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed 4 from a deal on Amazon. Only $36 bucks! Normally I pick it up box games locally, but I decided to try an online deal. Sorry Brick and Mortar.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »
Message me if you want to play BLOPS2 sometime, Shyguy. Just recently started playing it again.

Plan to pick up Darksiders 2 soon. Either this month or next. I had a panic when I checked Amazon and saw it for 50+ but then a minute later all of the cheaper ones returned. Either a listing error or I chose the wrong option. It's $25 so I may bite as I have a hunch that is one of the ones close to dropping off and becoming a bit more high demand due to the closure of the studio.

My order from play-asia finally arrived:

65$ for all.

All of those Wii games are worth the price you paid. Glad to say I own them all. Plan to get VLR but I need to get 9-9-9 first. Maybe October I'll get both.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:46:05 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast