Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755140 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
S-U-P-E-R:  Well true.  Updating and balancing a great old game is good.

But I have really been wanting to see what a new Virtual Fighter would bring.  I never thought the characters were interesting...but I loved the fact that it was the most realistic of the 3D fighters...and still is. 

I would really like to see a sequel...something that would continue to evolve the series and fighting games...and hopefully push that boundary more for arcade gameplay and realistic fighting. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »

It's a shame that SEGA pretty much abandoned it after VF5.
Actually, no, they haven't. They've put out a couple of revisions for VF5. Virtual Fighter 5 Final Solution Final Tuned just came out for PSN/XBLA. It's really good!

Re-selling an old game that could have just had DLC updates don't count. This isn't Street Fighter we're talking about.

I guess SEGA is ok with letting other 3D fighters take the spotlight. They've given Virtua Fighter a break for too long, it seems. They need to pump out more VF games so they can better compete with Tekken, DOA, and Soul Calibur. I was going to add Street Fighter to that list, but it's not a 3D fighter.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:05 AM »
Re-selling an old game that could have just had DLC updates don't count. This isn't Street Fighter we're talking about.
No, it does count. Also, you get the entire game for basically the price of a DLC update. (15 bux)

I guess SEGA is ok with letting other 3D fighters take the spotlight. They've given Virtua Fighter a break for too long, it seems. They need to pump out more VF games so they can better compete with Tekken, DOA, and Soul Calibur. I was going to add Street Fighter to that list, but it's not a 3D fighter.
I'm sure SEGA would love to have their game be hugely successful. They did promote the game at Evo with a tournament with a huge ass pot bonus ($15k). Despite that, though, I think Sega is just plain bad at promoting and marketing games, especially one as un-flashy as Virtua Fighter. I think a good step to take would be to redesign the **** out of their boring characters. I mean, how many VF characters can you name off the top of your head compared to SF, Tekken, SC, MK, whatever?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
Despite that, though, I think Sega is just plain bad at promoting and marketing games

Sega's bad at a lot of things. Basically the only reason they still exist and haven't gone bankrupt is nostalgia.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »
Despite that, though, I think Sega is just plain bad at promoting and marketing games

Sega's bad at a lot of things. Basically the only reason they still exist and haven't gone bankrupt is nostalgia.
Don't forget there strong presence in Japanese Standalone games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I still love you SEGA!  ;D

- "SE-GAAAAA!"
- "Blast Processing!"
- "It's thinking..."

Nintendo also relies heavily on nostalgia, so don't just blame SEGA for that... At least Capcom, Namco, and Konami are trying to diversify themselves by creating new IP's.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »
Nintendo is also helped by nostalgia, but they're run a whole lot better than Sega and their game quality is much more consistent.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »
Nintendo is also helped by nostalgia, but they're run a whole lot better than Sega and their game quality is much more consistent.

I like to throw insults at Sega as much as anyone, but at least Sega still tries new ideas and franchises, something I wish Nintendo would do.  So despite their massive incompetence and my total lack of Sega nostalgia, I still appreciate that they're still putting out games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
Why is it only now that the console wars are over that I grow to appreciate Sega's wacky randomness and eccentric quirks? *sigh*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

I like to throw insults at Sega as much as anyone, but at least Sega still tries new ideas and franchises, something I wish Nintendo would do.  So despite their massive incompetence and my total lack of Sega nostalgia, I still appreciate that they're still putting out games.

I'd take good games in old franchises over bad ones that are new IPs.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles refutes your claim that Sega makes "bad" new IPs.  And I've been playing "Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit", a PSN/XBLA game they published which is pretty good so far.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
And I've been playing "Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit", a PSN/XBLA game they published which is pretty good so far.

They published it, they didn't create it. It doesn't count as a true "SEGA IP".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles refutes your claim that Sega makes "bad" new IPs.  And I've been playing "Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit", a PSN/XBLA game they published which is pretty good so far.

Most of Sega's internally developed games these days are bad. There are exceptions, just like there are exceptions to Nintendo games being really good, but as a general rule, Sega's a mess of a developer right now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 02, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
To get this post back on topic, just found the original Nano Stray for DS at a Gamestop for $3. Always nice to find a bargain, especially there.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 02, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
Grabbed a used copy of Guitar Hero 3 (with guitar of course) for $10. Not really a fan of the series, but would be happy to have a few instruments to play Beatles Rock Band once in a while.  If only I could come across a cheap set of Wii drums.

Edit:
And finally found a reasonably-priced copy of Dragon Quest VI for DS. I've been trying to find this game for less than $30 for months, but prices in Canada have been consistently high - even if buying used. Finally caught a sale and grabbed a new copy for just $25. Doesn't sound great when you can often grab DS games for much less (especially in the US) but I'm thrilled to finally complete the DS trilogy of IV/V/VI.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:50:10 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
Just got SSX at Best Buy after price matching GameStop and using my $15 rewards coupon, only paid $5 for it. Unfortunately, I can't activate the online pass until I fix some problem with my EA account. EA support has not been very helpful. :(

Also picked up Fluidity for WiiWare. Going to dive into that game once I get the time for it.

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #466 on: October 08, 2012, 01:58:59 AM »
Recently, I got three 3DS games:

1) Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance: Despite Square continuing to give there worst names to their 3DS games, it's this one isn't to bad. Not the name... I mean the game... yeah, you guys get it! All joking aside, this is a pretty decent game and actually does a lot of things to try and seperate itself from other spin-off games in the series. The story isn't as confusing (at least until the end) and the new additions like cool down systems for special moves and creating/taking care of/training Dream Eaters is actually pretty enjoyable. Overal, I would say don't be afraid to give this game a chance. There is a demo on the eShop, but it's not a very good demo (at least I don't think it's very good), plus the game is only 30 bucks now at Amazon and Gamestop, so it's not a bad price right now. Plus with the huge lack of RPG's on the system right now (the only ones being this, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Tales, and Denpamen), it's actually not a bad choice to hold you over for Mario: Sticker Star or Bravely Default or Fire Emblem come out!

2) I got Cave Story and Mighty Switch Force today off the eShop! Played about 4 hours of Cave Story and I have no idea why I have waited so long to play this game. It is a fantastic game and perfect to hold of my Metroid cravings I have been having right now. I still feel it's to early to say whether the game is good or great yet, but I am enjoy it none the less. I am stuck in the laybrith right now (the one you and Curly get sent to after collecting the dogs and going into the warhouse), but I am sure it won't be that hard to get out. I really want to put more time into it, but stupid school always has a funny way of getting in the way -_-! As for MSF... it's still downloading, so I can't play it right this second, but I am sure that one will be fun as well
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
Mighty Switch Force and Cave Story are fantastic games, though I have the DsiWare version of Cave Story, so I have no reason to purchase the eShop version.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »
Bought a Wired Airflow PS3 controller that was clearanced.  Now I have a 2 wired PS3 controllers.  The PS2 controller with Adapter and the PS3 Airflow.  In time for Skylanders Giants.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #469 on: October 08, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
Mighty Switch Force and Cave Story are fantastic games, though I have the DsiWare version of Cave Story, so I have no reason to purchase the eShop version.

Tried out Mighty Switch Force today and it's pretty good. Only have done the first level, but the time attack aspect to the game might be more addicting then I thought.

As for Cave Story on eShop, from what I understand, it's supposed to be identical to Cave Story + on PC, with extra modes and what not. Regardless, it's still really fun and I look forward to seeing it through to the end :)
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #470 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
It is INCREDIBLY addicting.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 for $10 each because ToysRUs was clearing out their PC games all together.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
I recently picked up Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands based on Gui's positive impressions on RFN over the last few weeks. I don't know why I had chosen to skip this game when it was first released, because I'm a few hours into the game now and am really digging it. There are some serious, and I mean serious, camera issues, but the climbing, jumping and combat are all pretty satisfying. I was also able to get it for next to nothing, which doesn't hurt.
Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
I recently picked up Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands based on Gui's positive impressions on RFN over the last few weeks. I don't know why I had chosen to skip this game when it was first released, because I'm a few hours into the game now and am really digging it. There are some serious, and I mean serious, camera issues, but the climbing, jumping and combat are all pretty satisfying. I was also able to get it for next to nothing, which doesn't hurt.

3D games have been around for over 15 years, so you'd think developers would be able to program a decent camera by now. Super Mario 64 got it right.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 12, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
I don't know about "got it right," because it certainly has flaws, but it's remarkable how good Super Mario 64's camera is compared to other games of its time

J.P. Corbran