Author Topic: 3DS Availability  (Read 9330 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
3DS Availability
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
So... I'm a little concerned by what I've seen.  It's a little early, so I'm going to continue to look at it, but at my individual store, we're not getting in very many 3DS units.  Like, literally.  We received more copies of Mario All-Stars in the initial shipment.

I know there was some talk earlier in regards to the amount of units that were shipping different places - did it ever get determined how many units were shipping to the US for launch?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Availability
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
I believe it was 1.15 million

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
That is possible. All I can find is Nintendo saying that regions outside of Japan will have 2.5 million by the end of the month.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Runic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Shops
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
They might be a bit rare at first, but a second wave will come in quick. I think the best bet is to buy online. Online stores get more stock total than any one brick and mortar store.
Looking for a great deal on the Nintendo 3DS? Visit http://www.nintendo3dsshops.com

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
I believe the actual break down was 1.15M for N.A. and then 1.15 for EUR & AUS
But I don't remember where I saw that, so I can't back it up with a link.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
Even if it's 1.15 million for all of NA, that's a lot more than anything has launched with in a long ass time. It'll be hard to get one in the first week...but not that hard. UncleBob - is Wal-Mart selling them at midnight?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
Will the conditions in Japan affect availablility?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
I don't think it would, unless you mean about 3DS systems in Japan. The actual manufacturing of the systems are done in China (or Taiwan, yes I am one of the people who consider them separate countries), so production of the systems would not be effected.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
Yes, unfortunately the disaster in Japan will affect shipments. I don't know if Nintendo uses Toshiba for their internal flash storage, but Toshiba has had to close a factory or two. So any device using Toshiba flash memory will have delays. Also, other factories will be under a lot demand, which might affect Nintendo and others even if they don't use Toshiba. Then there's also seaports, airports, and railways being affected, which affects supply lines both to get raw materials and ship out finished products. Then there's also the electrical outages.

Engadget and CNN both have articles up that I read and took this information/speculation from.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
Just want to point out that the situation in Japan hasn't affected the 3DS shipments or any future shipments.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=152773
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Even if it's 1.15 million for all of NA, that's a lot more than anything has launched with in a long ass time. It'll be hard to get one in the first week...but not that hard. UncleBob - is Wal-Mart selling them at midnight?

Should.  Might vary by store.  I'll say this, though - we're getting less 3DS units in than we received in our initial shipment (or the re-shipment) of All-Stars.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
It seems pretty inapropriate to me that people are worried about whether or not they are still getting there 3DS because of the crisis in Japan.  I think you might want to sort your priorities.  Its not the end of the world if you have to wait until april.

Like I was counting down the days bro but right now I'm just worried about my friends in Tokyo & Sapporo.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
I'm going to assume this wasn't aimed at me, bro.  I've not attempted to tie any details of the US launch with the unfortunate events in Japan.  I've been watching our store's "on order" quantity for about a week before the earthquake hit - and waited to post about it to see if it changed.  Being two weeks out from launch seemed like a good enough time as any to comment on it.  I honestly don't think the events in Japan will have *any* influence on the launch quantities of the 3DS in the US/Europe, as they'd probably already arrived on their respective continents before it hit.

I can assure you, my priorities are in order.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
@ Unclebob

It wasn't aimed at anyone person.  Sorry if you took it that way.  Just seen people in various forums/gaming communities worrying about 3DS getting delayed kinda irks me.  It was generalities and addressed to the whole Nintendo fan community.

"bro" was just a turn of phrase.

Think about it this way.  For them to have issued a statement like that means somebody has to have asked.  I'm sure there is a lot on their minds.  From family & friends, to seeing if their business partners are okay.  Checking on EAD Tokyo.  Helping with relief efforts etc.  The rolling balck outs and Nuclear issues.  Not that going on with business as normal isn't ultimately whats best for evryone.  Its just bothersome that someone didn't wait or was so concerned with 3DS that they asked Nintendo.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:19:07 AM by KisakiProject »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
When do you expect to actually get the 3DS shipment in, UncleBob? Is it well ahead of release or do you guys not getting anything until shortly before the launch date?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
We usually get stuff in about a week before the release.  I'm guessing Friday, Monday or Tuesday.

Mind you, they'll likely be restricted at the register, so there'll be no early sales. :D

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
I hope Nintendo doesn't stagger shipments of the 3DS to create artificial demand. Here in the UK it feels like you can still pre-order for guaranteed launch day.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
We usually get stuff in about a week before the release.  I'm guessing Friday, Monday or Tuesday.

Mind you, they'll likely be restricted at the register, so there'll be no early sales. :D

Damn you, modern technology! I was hoping to beg someone at a local store to sell me one early, because I don't think Nintendo is going to send me one for early review... Bastards.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I Pre-Ordered only a few days ago, and the people at Gamestop took my order without question; but I'm wondering if they are aware of how the tragedy in Japan, could change their stock of Pre-orders. I've never Pre-ordered a system before, but I've heard stories of Gamestop  sometimes taking more Pre-orders then they have systems available.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »
but I've heard stories of Gamestop  sometimes taking more Pre-orders then they have systems available.

That is extremely rare, and usually done by poorly run stores. Sometimes that happens when a company ships out fewer products than originally planned (like when Sony shipped about half as many PS2's as they promised). At this point though, the 3DS launch systems are already finished and just waiting to be shipped. As of right now, the tragedy in Japan will not have any effect on the launch of the system (it may have a small dent in shipments after that, depending on how quickly the situation is resolved).

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »

Sooo.... Did those 3DS units come in yet?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »

Sooo.... Did those 3DS units come in yet?

Nada.  :(
First thing I checked when I came in this afternoon. ;)

I'm still concerned though - a week away and our "On order" number hasn't increased at all.  Looking at company numbers, they haven't increased either.  I may end up camping out for quite some time to get mine...

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
Well what happened with the WII, the US was shorted units because Nintendo made alot more cash out in the other regions--right now I think it's roughly $300 in Japan 25000 yen, and nearly $340 in UK 230pounds or whatever they are using.  People complain about $250 have no clue what goes on worldwide.  And I wouldn't even guess at those poor souls from down under have to pay.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 01:41:51 AM »
Yeah, this is far worse than the Wii launch.  Seriously.  I'm honestly quite concerned about the number we're getting in.

How many colors is the 3DS launching in again?