Author Topic: The Official "I Played Brawl" Impressions Thread (spoilers)  (Read 19758 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Official "I Played Brawl" Impressions Thread (spoilers)
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
Though I think the best part is the free Wii cap I got when I bought the game!  That's become the winner's crown with my friends.  Whoever's on the current win streak wears the cap.

It's tendencies like this that keep head lice in business.

As for impressions...

I like the character balance I've seen so far, though I haven't exactly tried many space animals. I like Olimar a lot and that's largely due to how unique he is. Dedede is both awesome and lovable. Wario is hilarious and I lament the fact that I can't chew on SSE enemies with him. Bowser has been improved as well, but I haven't played many matches with him yet.

Also, they made Zelda playable, and I mean WITHOUT Shiek.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »
Ian, if you find the Classic controller uncomfortable to hold you should pick up a Nyko Classic Controller Grip (yeah, it's Nyko, but it has no electronic parts, it's just a couple pieces of plastic, and it's made very well). It makes it a lot more comfortable to use the analog stick, and Amazon's got them for 5 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87014-Classic-Controller-Grip/dp/B000PHX4KQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1205166648&sr=8-1
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation but I think the problem is the analog stick itself.  It doesn't seem as big as the Wavebird's.  It also feels harder.  My thumb is hurting because it seems like there's more of a shock against it when I smash the stick.  The Wavebird is providing more cushioning due to a rubbery stick.

"It's tendencies like this that keep head lice in business."

My friends and I have good hygiene.  It's not like we're a bunch of little kids here.  :)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
I've been playing with a customized nunchuk+remote layout, but I'm not really feeling it. Hmm I need a tighter grip, so maybe I should use the GC controller, or maybe the classic controller.

I was kind of hesitant to play as Olimar, but I gave him a try on smash the targets, and he seems quite playable. I like him. He's probably going to be one of my main fighters.

I am extremely impressed with Olimar and like him also.

Ike is rediculous powerful, so is King DeDeDe.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation but I think the problem is the analog stick itself.  It doesn't seem as big as the Wavebird's.  It also feels harder.  My thumb is hurting because it seems like there's more of a shock against it when I smash the stick.  The Wavebird is providing more cushioning due to a rubbery stick.

"It's tendencies like this that keep head lice in business."

My friends and I have good hygiene.  It's not like we're a bunch of little kids here.  :)

I just tried it out and I think you're right, the Classic controller's analog stick does feel harder than the Wavebird's. I wonder if it has something to do with the Cube controllers having 3 ridge rings and the Classic Controller only having 1, but the nunchuk's stick feels softer than the Classic Controller too.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
"This is the game hardcore players where waiting so this is a must buy for every Nintendo fan out there. It's that damn good."

ahahaahahahaha hardcore players don't play Wii.  You're on the wrong system.

"Though I think the best part is the free Wii cap I got when I bought the game!  That's become the winner's crown with my friends.  Whoever's on the current win streak wears the cap."

This would be great with a Burger King crown.  Loser should wear the King mask, and have their vision obstructed.  To win with the mask on is a real victory.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Pit is the man.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »
"This is the game hardcore players where waiting so this is a must buy for every Nintendo fan out there. It's that damn good."

ahahaahahahaha hardcore players don't play Wii.  You're on the wrong system.

Wanna bet? ;)
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2008, 12:25:56 AM »
A bit of an update:

I still greatly dislike the new Link. The removal of his continuous attack from melee (these moves now rape in Brawl) is very disheartening, the speed at which he attacks and rebounds from attacks is very slow and overall after playing through many modes with him I just have to take him off my "main" list.

With that said . . .

I finally have gotten used to the new gameplay mechanics as it is indeed a mix of 64 style and melee style. After playing many hours with some friends the other night I have to say multi-player is still a blast even without a main heh.

Things I ABSOLUTELY HATE about the game though still remain though:

1) Why the hell did they remove the ability to gently press on the shoulder buttons to perform your characters shield/block move? If anything is throwing me off the most it is this. I understand that gameplay wise to match the other controllers they can no longer have a "press lightly for a slower going away shield" feature but by God I wish they mad a light press now just do the damned shield full tilt. More times than not I feel like I am blocking and about to dodge out of the way of something but I end up not because well...yeah need I say more?

2) Why the bloody hell are items SO DAMNED SMALL? Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have fucking pea sized items? "Hmm is it a bomb or is it a mine or is it food? who knows!" Very irritating to say the least . . .

3) Nintendo's mentally challenged decision to NOT allow you to transfer save data to a SD card. Why bring your save file to a friends house when you can just bring your whole system I guess was the mind set here.

Things I LOVE about the game:

1) Final Smash is fantastic. It adds a whole new level of franticness to the game that I just love. Having 4 people just stop smashing each other only to try and chase after that Final Smash orb is just hilarious and a lot of fun.

2) The music and graphics are absolutely beautiful. I love how all the characters mesh so well together from all their respective games.

3) It's still the most fun multiplayer game on the market.

4) The stages are really fun to play on and have a lot of variety.

Things that URK me about the game:

The terrible menu set up.

Overall I am having fun with the game but I think spending so much time watching the dojo updates killed a lot of the "Wow!" factor for me. Which is to be expected and no fault of the game. Many of my co-workers are wondering why I am not more pumped about the game and I simply say "I feel like I have played through it all already, I just want to unlock everything and play people in VS". I feel like nothing can really surprise me at this point and just wanna blow past all the collecting/unlocking stuff and get down to the nitty gritty.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »
I've been playing the game for the last day or two and have been loving it; it's not entirely unlike Melee, but it's got more than enough changes for me to move on with pleasure. Some notes:

-The new Link is indeed not as close to my heart as his Melee counterpart, though when I realized I didn't have to charge up the spin attack, that helped matters. Still, while they made him lighter and faster, they didn't do so enough to balance out how much weaker he is now. I was starting to play Young Link more than Link near the end of my time with Melee anyway, so when I unlock Toon Link, I'll probably glom on to him.

-As others have said, Kirby is mercifully restored to his 64 version (they even fixed that roll of his that they added in Melee [can't remember which attack it is], it now involved kicks instead of a Kirby fireball and it just flows a lot better). I wish he had his own stage besides Green Greens, but it's alright.

-King Dedede and Ike are like tanks. Can't work 'em, though I've been making a little progress (actually won my first online match with Ike). Is it just me or should DeDeDe's B and Down-B attacks  have been switched?

-Pit in his black outfit looks like a woman from the 80s in a tacky dress. It's true.

-Someone was saying the music was too quiet and I think they were right; I moved the sound bar two notches to the right and it seems better.

-Squirtle's finicky as hell; he keeps sliding all over the place, and I keep dying with his side-B attack taking me off the stage; when I'm playing PT I have to stay as Charizard most of the time if I want to win.

-Snake's also finicky, but he's strong, so I'm fine. I've only spent a little bit with Sonic but I dig him alright. I like his stage too, of which I'm apparently in the minority.

-This may also apply to Melee too, but why are there bombs in the 100-Man Melee? (had to do it b/c I was impatient to get Falco) It's hard enough to last that long with random explosions threatening to make you repeat the same 4 minutes over and over again. And for Brawl specifically, what sadist thought it was okay to have other characters appear randomly? I shouldn't have to fight off Meta Knight and 4 alloy guys at 90% health.

-SSE is awesome; so awesome, in fact, that I feel stupid for even listening to the people who were hating on it before. Though i guess I can see their viewpoint...I dunno, to me, I like it for the same reason I enjoyed Super Princess Peach; I knew it wasn't terribly long to begin with, but I loved the platforming and just the general feel of the game (and the character designs are great, honestly) so I'm glad to spend time going through the mode, especially since i don't have much opportunity here for VS matches. I feel bad for the people who blasted their way through it 8 hours after launch day then complained it was too short. Honestly, people. Also, the Brawl engine is great for platforming, I don't get why all the reviews said they weren't.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
-This may also apply to Melee too, but why are there bombs in the 100-Man Melee? (had to do it b/c I was impatient to get Falco) It's hard enough to last that long with random explosions threatening to make you repeat the same 4 minutes over and over again. And for Brawl specifically, what sadist thought it was okay to have other characters appear randomly? I shouldn't have to fight off Meta Knight and 4 alloy guys at 90% health.

I don't mind the bombs.  What I mind is that the items are so small it's hard to tell what they are.  I keep picking up Smart Bombs and throwing them at my feet because I think they're Pokeballs.  Not a good thing to do.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »

I don't mind the bombs.  What I mind is that the items are so small it's hard to tell what they are.  I keep picking up Smart Bombs and throwing them at my feet because I think they're Pokeballs.  Not a good thing to do.

Nah, I can tell the difference between those two (though that's probably because I never play Smash Bros. without items); it's the motion sensor bomb and the screw attack that have me tripped up tho. Why is the latter so small and purple in this game when there's another small and purple item already in the game? But eh whatever, neither of them are particularly dangerous.

And I'm not sure if I said it in this thread or not, but actually I was wrong when I said that the delete data option was hidden away in the menus; not only is it on the top layer of Options, but it's right next to My Music, which makes me nervous whenever I go mess with songs. But on the bright side, it teaches a good lesson in restraint!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Does anyone know the exact number of stickers and trophies that are possible to collect?
I know that there must be at least 500 trophies, and also 500 stickers because their respective challenges say so, but isn't that a little too ridiculous. I don't mind, but the trophy and sticker appearance is starting to become too repetive. Maybe I should play Coin Launcher with 1000 coins to see if I can get more variety or something.