Author Topic: The Official "I Played Brawl" Impressions Thread (spoilers)  (Read 19737 times)

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Official "I Played Brawl" Impressions Thread (spoilers)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »
Actually quite happened a lot at Windy's party. I remember that someone summoned the Landmaster and fell into the same hole. Same went with Olimar as well. :/
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 05:31:50 AM »
Alright, so I've finally gotten most of the Oendan/EBA stuff.  Maybe I'll finally grab those pictures I promised tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 06:32:45 AM »
Alright, so I've finally gotten most of the Oendan/EBA stuff.  Maybe I'll finally grab those pictures I promised tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
yaaay. Any sign of an EBA trophy, or just the stickers?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 06:41:29 AM »
I don't remember.  I'm basing this off of challenges.  I had a few random challenges that looked like there were Oendan things inside, and I finished unlocking all of those specific ones today, so I was just going to go through the trophies and stickers and take pictures of them.  The good news is that I've figured out how to order my stickers by series, so I can get all the ones I have of them (I have about 628 unique stickers right now) and the trophies are already grouped that way, so I know I can get them all pretty simply, at least of the ones I have.

I nearly have 400 trophies, but I'm getting new trophies at a faster rate than I'm getting new stickers, so I've no idea how likely I am to find any specific missing trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »
Anymore updates on whether or not Bowser is any good, even with the changes?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
I hear he's pretty decent now. He runs as fast as Mario now too. x_x
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
Bowser is better.  In fact, I should say that other than his forward+B, I'd say Dedede feels more like Bowser used to in Melee.  Bowser's a little faster and his moves were made quicker.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
I may have to add Bowser into my rotation of characters if he is better.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »
Well after Bowsers poor performance in Melee, I'm guessing he's been training pretty heavily for the last 6 years straight.  That would explain why he's much faster now as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
How does Ike and Link play?

I'm all about the kinda slow, but powerful, sword-wielding badasses.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »
I've been playing hardcore for a week, usually in 4man games, I think I'd like to chime in on some of the characters.

- Ike is a great character for me to trash talk as a baby character because he's easy to play and his smashes are super good. Nobody really seemed interested in playing Marth when they could play as Ike, but maybe that's just new guy syndrome (Marth's up-B seems like a better offensive tool now, but I don't really play Marth...)
- I love playing Diddy Kong, everybody else hates him. He can lock down guys with his bananas and it's hilarious. Especially that jerk Sonic.
- I also love playing Rob, he's a good all-round kinda guy with good mobility and recovery, but despite that he seems really slow to get around the level. The longer you don't use his eye laser, the more push it has, so it's good to save as a surprise/cut through 3 opponents at once
- I play Samus primarily (although I'm hooked on Metaknight) and she seems exactly the same to me, despite some people saying she's floatier/nerfed/buffed/whatever. Taunting fast enough to switch suits is a massive pain in the butt and probably not feasible in a lot of matches. I don't think you can air-dodge and do the Z-button-air-grab anymore but it's a non-issue anyway since air dodging no longer kills your momentum
- Bowser is cool, I started playing him for comedy in Melee right before, so the differences are pretty fresh in my mind. His smashes are still strong as hell, and he no longer gets smacked about of the arena like a little bitch. I'm not sure if his down+b recovery is faster, but it seems like it (I'm not used to using that move, lol). His forward B now grabs people and flip-bodyslams them exactly like Hugo in Third Strike (double lol) and that also works in midair. It's rad.
- I can't like Pit no matter how hard I try
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:43:08 PM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »
The game is freaking amazing. My local blockbuster had it and since I don't have a Wii but my friend does but he doesn't have the money nor the membership I decided to rent it to check it out. All I can say is that the game is amazing. I love using Samus,Pokemon Trainer,Pit,Ike and Link. I don't like DeeDee that much, but I reconize that he is a powerhouse that I may need to practice more to get better with him.  Pokemon Trainer is awesome and I think all 3 pokemon are well balance with Charizard being the powehouse, squirtle being the quick one and Ivysaur being in the middle of both and with good anti air attacks. Ike is awesome and so is Marth, I think both FE guys are a bit OP IMO. We unlocked: Snake,Marth,Luigi,Captain Falco and Ness. This is the game hardcore players where waiting so this is a must buy for every Nintendo fan out there. It's that damn good. Now I have to start savin some money to get myself a Wii and this fantastic game. If you hve your doubts rent it first and then you'll see if it's worth your money. I guarantee you it is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:02:22 PM by soracloudtidus »
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
The game is freaking amazing. My local blockbuster had it and since I don't have a Wii but my friend does but he doesn't have the money nor the membership I decided to rent it to check it out. All I can say is that the game is amazing. I love using Samus,Pokemon Trainer,Pit,Ike and Link. I don't like DeeDee that much, but I reconize that he is a powerhouse that I may need to practice more to get better with him.  Pokemon Trainer is awesome and I think all 3 pokemon are well balance with Charizard being the powehouse, squirtle being the quick one and Ivysaur being in the middle of both and with good anti air attacks. Ike is awesome and so is Marth, I think both FE guys are a bit OP IMO. We unlocked: Snake,Marth,Luigi,Captain Falco and Ness. This is the game hardcore players where waiting so this is a must buy for every Nintendo fan out there. It's that damn good. Now I have to start savin some money to get myself a Wii and this fantastic game. If you hve your doubts rent it first and then you'll see if it's worth your money. I guarantee you it is.

Hey dude, around here, we aren't allowed to like Nintendo that much. Sorry.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline soracloudtidus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

Hey dude, around here, we aren't allowed to like Nintendo that much. Sorry.

You're kidding right? ^^;;

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 01:37:27 AM »
I really really really . . . don't know how I feel about the game.

All I know is I hate what they did to Link and I just want to unlock all the characters to find my new main.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »
Hmm.  I just played multi for like 3 1/2 hours. This beats the pants off of Melee for sure :) yay!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline soracloudtidus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »

All I know is I hate what they did to Link and I just want to unlock all the characters to find my new main.

Exactly what they did to him? I think his boomerang move was improved and I think he plays fine but maybe you have just played him more than I did.

Hmm.  I just played multi for like 3 1/2 hours. This beats the pants off of Melee for sure :) yay!

Yeah I did that yesterday with some friends and I am looking foward to do the same tonite!!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
Ehhhhhh.... Still not feeling this game yet. It's really really slow compared to Melee and it is still really awkward to play. More impressions to come soon.

UPDATE 1:
Well, day 2 and I still can't get into the pacing of the game. It definitely feels like a mix between 64 and Melee, which is definitely throwing me off. They totally destroyed Ganondorf which is also disheartening, considering he was my main Melee character. I'm really hoping Sonic or ROB is awesome, because at this point, I really have no idea who I could choose as my main fighter.

Side note about online: Serious fail. Not sure if it is because it's day one and the servers are overloaded, but I can't connect to anyone to play online and the two friend matches I played were really messed up. The first one lagged out like crazy, and the second had this weird buffering where I would push the button and 2 seconds later the move would actually happen. It was extremely annoying. I hope this situation is rectified on Nintendo's server side.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:25:33 AM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »

Exactly what they did to him? I think his boomerang move was improved and I think he plays fine but maybe you have just played him more than I did.

They made Link playable... :cool;

I want to like Ike, but he's probably too slow for me, at least from what little I've played of him...As I said, I actually like Link now...Fox doesn't seem to have as much distance on his Fire Fox, but overall I still enjoy using him as I have the past games...Pikachu feels a bit more like his original form, but I have to get a bit more in on him...I REALLY like Zero Suit Samus, though I have to get used to the fact that her Down+Smash only hits in front of her...

So at the moment it looks like Fox and ZSS for me, but I haven't even tried a majority of the characters yet...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »
I really like Snake and Pit. I've spent most of my time using them. Ike is a powerhouse. He may be too powerful. Slow, but his Smash attack is insane.

Wolf (I don't know if that's really a spoiler, but I thought I'd just play it safe) is pretty cool too.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 10:31:02 PM »
I've been playing with a customized nunchuk+remote layout, but I'm not really feeling it. Hmm I need a tighter grip, so maybe I should use the GC controller, or maybe the classic controller.

I was kind of hesitant to play as Olimar, but I gave him a try on smash the targets, and he seems quite playable. I like him. He's probably going to be one of my main fighters.

Offline soracloudtidus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 08:47:44 AM »

They made Link playable... :cool;

I want to like Ike, but he's probably too slow for me, at least from what little I've played of him...As I said, I actually like Link now...Fox doesn't seem to have as much distance on his Fire Fox, but overall I still enjoy using him as I have the past games...Pikachu feels a bit more like his original form, but I have to get a bit more in on him...I REALLY like Zero Suit Samus, though I have to get used to the fact that her Down+Smash only hits in front of her...

So at the moment it looks like Fox and ZSS for me, but I haven't even tried a majority of the characters yet...

I'm feeling both ZSS and Link. I'm trying to like Ike but I have a big problem with him since I can't comeback when I'm far away from the stage like I can with other chars. I still think he is a powerhouse just like Marth and Snake. Snake's smash last too long imo. Samus final smash is just too awesome and ZSS final smash can be very effective if you have oponents very close to you. I use it once and got everybody trown out of the stage. Not so sure how I feel about the pity smash yet as I was losing and got one and alsmot won the whole thing. Now it's just a race to see who gets the final smash but if we ever get tired of that (and I don't think we will) we'll just turn it off and play like we used to in melee.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »
I've been playing with a customized nunchuk+remote layout, but I'm not really feeling it. Hmm I need a tighter grip, so maybe I should use the GC controller, or maybe the classic controller.

I was kind of hesitant to play as Olimar, but I gave him a try on smash the targets, and he seems quite playable. I like him. He's probably going to be one of my main fighters.

My roommate's an Olimar, some tips:

He's quick.  Amazingly quick, with range, as well.
Throw the white Pikmin.  They're amazing that way, and useless anywhere else.
You don't need six Pikmin if it's going to hurt you to pull up all six.  Wait until you're safe to save them.
Range, Range, Range, Range, and range.
His UP+B is "magnetized," but you probably knew that.  It can't grab a ledge if someone's on a ledge, even if he/she is hit out of the way of it.
Each Pikmin color has a specialty.  From memory, Blue throws harder, red smashes harder, purple throws harder.  I think Yellow's specialty is the unique throw path, but other than that, I don't believe it does greater damage or knockback than others.
His down+b, and maybe other moves, has/have super armor.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »
Today at work I've got Nintendo thumb.  I haven't had Nintendo thumb in years!  I've noticed it's more painful to use the classic controller than the Wavebird but when you've got people over and not enough Cube controllers to go around you have to work with what you have.

Though I think the best part is the free Wii cap I got when I bought the game!  That's become the winner's crown with my friends.  Whoever's on the current win streak wears the cap.

I appear to be off with getting smash attacks off consistently but that might be because I've only used the classic controller thus far.  I'll give the Wavebird a go today after work.  Though it also could be because I haven't played Melee in years.

My brother and I haven't been this excited about a game since Pikmin 2.  We spent months playing Melee and we'll likely do the same with Brawl.  I've also tried to remain spoiler free so new characters showing up are surprises to me.