Author Topic: Kid Icarus.  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Kid Icarus.
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
Kid Icarus.

Pit the captain of Paluten's army, premeired on the NES in July of 1987 and is still a game that many people love, and enjoy today. The Original 2-D arrow shooting angle launched onto the Wii's Virtual Console on Febuary 12th 2007. Plus he was also on other systems like the Game Boy Advance and the Famicom Disk System. This game consists of sidescrolling action while on a journey to destroy Medusa the goddess of the underworld. To learn the whole story get the game, or judge whether you should buy it with this review.   

Kid Icarus uses a password saving system, which I beleive works quite well. Although you can just use the Wii Menu save, the password save is a great backup.

Gameplay moves farely quickly while you have to be very careful at the same time. While climbing upwards or across you must be careful not to fall downward. If you do it results with the Game over menu followed by the Sacred Words "Password". I find it quite challenging to climb and shoot down enemy's at the same time, it is difficult but very possible. Although you may find this repetitive there are many things that change things up. One of these is Kid Icarus's unique currency, as you destroy enemy's you collect their hearts which you use to buy items at stores. To enter a store you must find a door during a level, sometimes it is a store, but more often it is a enemy room or a chest room. In enemy rooms you destroy enemys to get hearts, and in chest rooms you must pick one chest out of many which might hold a item.

Sound in the game is wonderful and holds many memorable tunes. One of these my personal favorite, the Grim Reaper theme. This tune has been remixed in the new Super Smash Brothers Brawl song. One of the other songs is the Game Over Tune, they are both very unique and interesting. During regular levels songs are okay but not great. Either way the songs make the game a great buy.

Overall the controls work quite well. The game responds effectively, and moves without flaw. Movement is quite simple, because you only use three buttons. The left and right on the D-Pad, and the 2 button. The 2 button is used to jump. The only other button used is the 1 button which is used to shoot arrows at enemys. It is not hard to master, but takes practice to put together perfectly.

The game holds perfect replay value, because no matter how many times you play it, it always proves its difficulty. It is just like a arcade game, it never gets boring.

Pro's
+ Infinent Replay Value.
+ Good Difficulty Level

Con's
- Can be Difficult to Some.

Overall Score 9.5/10

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Kid Icarus.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:48:31 PM »
9.5!

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Kid Icarus.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:50:08 AM »
its a really good game
maybe a 9 but i thought it was great.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:41:15 AM »
I was just playing this game too...dusted off the old NES and played it for a couple of weeks before giving it to a friend that loves the game.

It was pretty good, but I'm turning into a crusty old guy - I can't take my hard games anymore.  Still well-designed for a game of its age.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
I can see a lot of neat things that I like about this game but... it's so hard that when I finally beat the first level, I had a little celebration and have since not picked up the game again.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mastro

• I less than three U
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Icarus.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
Well the thing with Kid Icarus is that it gets easier as you play. The enemies and everything are as hard at the end as the beggining but you have more powerful weapons and more health, so it gets really easy at end. Bascially pass the stage with the eggplant men and beat that boss(most annoying level EVER) you will wish the rest of the game was harder. Not a very well paced, balanced or designed game but fun neverthless.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:38:50 PM by mastro »
If you add any of my WiiC or any FC please PM me.

Wii #                   
4871 4170 1627 4831

Endless Ocean #       
7415 7735 7984

Smash Bros Brawl #   
1032 0904 4453

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:56:30 AM »
Seeing as this review got bumped, and i think this folder needs more life FUNFACT!:

Metroid and Kid Icarus use the same game engine, and came out on the same day.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »
And they're both rubbish. :]

Offline bgrugby60

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:40 AM »
I was always a fan of Kid Icarus and it's sequal for the GameBoy when I was growing up. I love to break out Kid Icarus on the VC for a good challenge and really the theme from the game will always be right up their with Mario's, Zelda's, and Metroid's theme.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:51:08 AM »
The Game is actually way to difficult. 

Offline mastro

• I less than three U
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »
The Game is actually way to difficult. 

I found the game quite easy. I beat within the first week of having it and playing periodically. Still haven't managed to beat ninja gaiden though. I Find that game impossible.

On the matter of Metroid I myself never really enjoyed the first metroid for NES. Loved Metroid 2 for gameboy and super Metroid is a classic but the first one just got on my nerves (the game felt to demanding for the NES but somehow worked on GB for me).
If you add any of my WiiC or any FC please PM me.

Wii #                   
4871 4170 1627 4831

Endless Ocean #       
7415 7735 7984

Smash Bros Brawl #   
1032 0904 4453

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report