Author Topic: Wario World  (Read 2471 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Wario World
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
WELCOME TO THE WARIO WORLD REVIEW!

There's nothing that hunky, handsome Wario likes more than TREASURE, unless maybe it's himself!  And who wouldn't be proud of such a sexy bod?  So when some kind of crazy possessed jewel takes over Wario's treasure stash, it's time to bust some heads!

Feast your eyes on Wario's manly figure, he's looking good!  Some of the freaks he fights are pretty dumb looking, but not everyone can be beautiful like Wario.  You'll be rid of them shortly, just a couple of punches in the kisser!  The worlds Wario visits are pretty fun to look at, but sometimes it's annoying that you can't move the camera around more, seeing as there's lots of treasure hunting to do!

Listen to Wario's beautiful singing voice! "GET OUTTA HERE!"  Oh Wario, my knees are getting all weak! "HAVE A ROTTEN DAY!" How did you get so dreamy?  The musical accompaniment can't quite live up to the delightful Warioisms - it's mainly generic upbeat platformer stuff, but there are some cool hip-hop inspirations here and there and the audio is good overall.  

Cheer while Wario puts the smack down on stupid monsters!  He's equipped with a few wrestling and punching moves plus some jumping attacks.  Wario controls fairly well but the game still comes down to a whole lot of brawling.  You can run away a lot of the time, but every level contains the same four basic types of enemies and how Wario attacks them usually doesn't matter so the game quickly becomes repetitive regardless of how well Wario controls.  Top it off with a ton of treasure hunting and it's like the game combines the worst  part of platformers with the worst part of brawlers.

Gasp as Wario performs feats of derring-do!  Wario World does offer some great platforming "bonus" areas.  You can't die by falling in them but it will take quite a bit of skill to beat them anyway. There are also some puzzle areas that aren't exactly brilliant, but they still offer a nice break from the constant beat em up action.  The game's boss battles are pretty fun too.  Too bad these good elements are stretched out over tons of mindless action.

Laugh at how quickly Wario defeats his foes!  If Wario has taught me anything, it's the value of greed. This game comes up pretty short, but to be honest I don't really want much more of it.  It's just too repetitive.

Watch Wario's exciting conclusion!  What this game needed was an injection of variety.  Maybe that means more variety in enemies and objectives, maybe it means less collecting, or maybe it means some type of co-op mode... What it means for sure is that the game is too mindless and short for a one-player adventure.  It might be worth picking up on the cheap if you want a simple break between epic adventures and RPGs but it's pretty average overall.

Wario Pros:
- hilarious Wario dialogue all the way through
- lots of fun bosses and jumping sections

Wario Cons:
- too much repetitive fighting
- no co-op play, which is often the thing that makes up for repetitiveness
- it's a bit short, though that might be a blessing in disguise

Wario Score:
3/5
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Wario World
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:59:42 PM »
I actually liked the platformer sections more than Sunshine's, the camera was obedient and there wasn't much time pressure so you could examine the situation and actually see where that platform is floating before trying to jump at it.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:54 PM »
Haha, it was developed by Treasure...
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:35 AM »
Yep, Treasure hits very often but when they miss they miss badly. Dragon Booster didn't come much later and got horrible reviews.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:39:17 AM »
The platforming sections were great!  I would put them on par with Sunshine myself.  If they had just found a way to mix up the brawling a bit more, I think the game would have been really good.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX