Author Topic: GABBO, GABBO, GABBO! (James Pond: Robocod on DS)  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GABBO, GABBO, GABBO! (James Pond: Robocod on DS)
« on: February 16, 2006, 03:21:21 AM »
First I'll start with Play It's (the publisher) official description of this game;

This is the most playable scrolling platform game ever. Imagine Super Mario - with better graphics; imagine Sonic the Hedgehog - with more puzzles. Now imagine combining those together and you'll have some idea how much fun it is to play JAMES POND II Codename: ROBOCOD.

Your mission is to stop the evil doctor's plans of total world domination; your only chance lies in the capable fins of the aquatic super hero, James Pond. Our finned hero jumps, climbs, squashes, squishes and stretches through level after level of some of the best cartoon-style graphics ever seen. As you battle your way ever deeper into this bizarre world you'll encounter Bouncing Teddy Bears, Crazy Cadillacs, Whirling Dervishes, Chocolate Mountains and don't forget those wacky end of level baddies - and a cute, totally addictive background soundtrack you'll be whistling for ever.

It's the most playable platform game ever. It's so playable that nobody out there has a single screenshot, let alone a review of this on the internet! IT'S TOO PLAYABLE, CANNOT ... BREAK.. AWAY. But I have, simply because I'm made of excellent. Excellent shirt, excellent socks. So basically, what we have here is a bloody fantastic example of the sparkling innovation a platform such as the Nintendo DS can bring to the table. It's a port of the early 90's (most playable) platformer, James Pond 2. Amiga, Mega Drive, SNES (except here it was called SUPER James Pond due to every Super Nintendo game demanding quality outside the box game titles), Master System.. I think there was even a NES version. Well no, actually, it's a port of the slightly updated GBA version that was spewed forth somewhere in the depths of 2004.

So uh, you play as a .. uh.. fish.. cod.. thing. For whatever reason you can extend yourself high into the sky if you so desire. Your whole body, not just one part. How impressive would THAT have been. For whatever reason some goon has stolen Santa. Now you enter different worlds and collect lollies and ice cream and so forth. There are also enemies around! CARS! CARS THAT SHOOT MARBLES. You keep going, collecting stuff, there's some bosses. They jump around. Insert some more text here. New paragraph.

Oh but OH! OH OH! Now there's two screens to play with, whatever will they do? Add a map screen of course! And as demented and boring as a map screen sounds for a platformer, it actually works really well. Because like our good friend Zool, this platformer's all about collecting items to progress. Not in a Rare style way, where you'd have to go perform sexual tasks in order to obtain a cog so that you then trade it for a skateboard that can be given away to an elephant in order to get the one item he had that you needed that he didn't need but felt the need to keep it and inform you of his needs. You know? No no, this is just where you simply jump around the level. They're BIG LEVELS!

Touch screen functions? You've got it, buddy! Simply touch the screen during play and it'll switch from the map to a thrilling status screen! Move over Kirby Canvas Curse, here's the real deal with stylus based platformers. Also new to the DS version is battery back-up, a very welcome addition considering the game has one hundred levels. Each as huge as some sort of Microsoft console. A dreadful FMV intro is found here somewhere. Near the start. Although that might have been in the GBA version as well.

Am I making this game sound pretty dreadful? I hope so, because SURPRISE, it's actually quite an entertaining game. Baffling port, yes, but fun.

Graphics: Haha it's like fifteen years old. You're not meant to admire fifteen year olds. No score!
Sound: Goofy Earthworm Jim style sound effects are pretty okay, but there's only one awful, AWFUL music track that plays during EVERY LEVEL. 3/10
Bold font: 7/10

"LOOKIN' GOOD"

EXCLUSIVE SCREEN SHOT.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: GABBO, GABBO, GABBO! (James Pond: Robocod on DS)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 03:30:37 AM »
Does the LIVES "cheat" still work?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 03:39:09 AM »
Haha, most likely. The 'CHEAT' uh, cheat right at the beginning is still there.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 05:52:54 AM »
Oh I wish... A game with The Cheat in it would be really AweXome (spelt with X for Xtra awesomeness!). Needs more The Cheat.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »
This game exists?  Hilarious as always!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
I had this on the SNES. It's funny to think that it had the same incredible stretch move as Atari ET
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.