Author Topic: New Zelda Look  (Read 19097 times)

Offline Luciferschild

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« on: March 03, 2003, 01:12:21 PM »
I got to let off some steam about this new zelda game cause I just can’t hold it in anymore. Sorry if this gets ugly. My biggest problem with this new zelda game is link’s character design. No, I don’t give a crap that it’s cell shaded. They could of made a cool looking cell shaded game if they weren’t such idiots. Why does link look so retarded. Link used to be at least well proportioned, now his head is bigger than his body, his eyes are bigger than his head and is arms are longer than his legs, not to mention the rediculous face. He looks like a gaay telletubby. Real swell nintendo. The style of the graphics could be a better too. It looks like some disney movie on crack. In fact the game is so kiddie looking that it makes mario sunshine look like grand theft auto. I’m sure it’ll be a good game and everything with great gameplay but just imagine how great it would be if it looked half ways decent. If this is the direction they are going with zelda I wonder what link will look like in the next game, a green care bear made of cloud fluff….nah that would be too MATURE for nintendo. I just hope they don’t mess the next zelda game up so bad. Now I know most of you secretly feel the same way as me about this but you are in denial and don’t want to admit it to yourselves. Just my opinion, don’t get bent out of shape.  

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 01:31:17 PM »
unfortunatly, i agree with this guy.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 01:33:05 PM »
I can't even believe this thread was made.  I'm stunned, in fact.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 01:33:07 PM »
Personally, the only real problem I have with the new look is the fact that link looks upteenmillion times cooler in his normal clothes, and that they shoulda kept his hair the way it was at the beginning screenshots, because he really looks spiffy there.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 01:38:08 PM »
First off, you say we feel this way but are actually in denial, but not to take offense?  Uhm, please don't purport that you know what everyone else is thinking.  As a matter of fact, reviews of the game are overwhelmingly positive, from gamers and the gaming media alike.

Secondly, Link has never been disproportioned?

http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/snaps/zelda-snap-0002.gif

This took me two minutes on Google to find.  Now, I know that you're going to say "That was because of hardware limits!"  Then why did they make a proportioned Link for Zelda II?

http://nesnexus.freewebsites.com/screens/zelda2-5.gif

Well, you could say Link evolved.  However, they switched him back to his Super-Deformed, cartoon-y self with A Link To The Past.  It would have been easy to follow Zelda II's style, wouldn't it?  Hmm, Link's more realistic foray was a bad design choice?  Odd.  That's certainly not the consensus I get with Ocarina of Time.

http://www.gamefans.de/zelda3/z3abb4.jpg

And then we have Ocarina Of Time.

http://www.zeldaguide.com/6.jpg

I think it's fair to say OoT's Link is more realistic, right?  Well, alright then, now we're getting somewhere.  However, I fail to see how A Link To The Past's disproportionate Link had any effect on the gameplay.  Sure, Link may be dancing with fairies in a tunic and wearing a pink border around his hat, but ALLTP is considered one of the greatest Zelda games ever.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/vgr/gallery/pictures/celda.jpg

Now, we have the new Link.  A little kid with gigantic eyes and short arms.  Hey, guess what?  The gigantic eyes serve a purpose.  You know what's also odd?  This Link is the greatest swordfighter in Zelda history.  He pulls off things Ocarina's Link couldn't dream of.  Zelda II's Link would Super Jump away in fear.  You, however, are judging the game by character design.

Isn't that the equivelant of me looking at a little person and saying, "Hah, what was God THINKING?"

-- ShockingAlberto

Edit: Just for the record: CEL-SHADING.  He is not being created by use of Biology.
Press X to run.

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 01:41:16 PM »
1)I 100% agree with Miyamoto. Have you actually played the game??
2)I personally love the look of Link, especially. I think the visuals of this game are closer to the cartoon look of the old Zelda games, before the Nintendo Sixty-Four games, like Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and even the original. And the for the N64 games the art for it was all cartoon looking.
3)If you don't want people to get bent out of shape how come you sound like you are?
4)A "gaay telletubby"? I can't get over how much I love the look of Link!
5)"a disney movie on crack"? Im pretty sure most Disney movies were made while on crack. Especially the Lion King! Flocks of birds spelling out "sex"? Aladin telling teenagers to take of their clothes (listen to the scene where Raga (the tiger) attacks Aladin)?
6)His eyes are bigger than his head? i wonder how they fit in there? (i know, i know, you were "exaggerating")
7) this topic is soon to be deleted so why am I bothering to reply?
8)oh yeah, now i remember
9)a green carebear made out of fluff? I really find the look of Link to so much more violent somehow! Its awesome. Look in the preorder preview booklet, and look at the picture of Link spinning with his word. he looks much scarier than any other Link i've ever seen.
10)Super Mario Sunshine = GTA3? What did you expect from a Mario game? Hes an italian plumber thats 2 feet tall that likes to ride a little green dinosaur that is the deffinition of cute.(i think thats a run on sentence)
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline TOY

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 01:47:10 PM »
I agree completely, Luciferschild child hit the nail on the head. Theres no doubt Wind Waker will be an awsome game, I dont think anybody's questioning that, but Link looks freaking stupid!!

TOY

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 01:53:33 PM »
What's the need to complain about it, then?  Isn't character design rather secondary to gameplay?  Would you have ever played Mario by looking at the character design?  What about judging GTA3 by its blocky, texture-less graphics?

Look, Link-haters: Get over it.  No one cares how much you dislike Link's new look, your only choices are whether or not to buy this wonderful gem of a game and whether or not you'll enjoy it.  Either way, I really don't care, it's no skin off my back if you want to keep "blowing off steam".  I'm just sick of Link-haters pretending everyone else shares their opinion and then enforcing that idea with idiotic claims such as "Now I know most of you secretly feel the same way as me about this but you are in denial and don’t want to admit it to yourselves."

Feel your way around where you are right now.  It's not Hyrule.  Now, pick up Wind Waker and play it: that is Hyrule.  The two worlds are very different.  One does not have to be uber-realistic.  Try and guess which one.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2003, 01:57:06 PM »
Not enough anime fans.  It is called Super-Deformed and it is hugely hugely popular.  Like big time popular.  Ever see any anime other than what is on Cartoon Network.  They use stuff like that allllll the time.  The game was made by a Japanese for Japanese, with Americans in mind a little.  He made the game off of the shows that everyone in japan grew up with.  My Neighbor Torro was one of his big inspirations.  It is a fact that the style is very popular with the japanese aduience.  The game wasn't made for us, we are just getting it.

By the way, I love the cel shading and hope to see it more and more.  Especially links "TOON-SHADING"!!!!
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline DiggleD44

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2003, 02:06:52 PM »
I do like the new look and i think its great. The only thing is, I don't like the look on this series. (Zelda) I think nintendo should create a new franchise where the graphics will always look like this in the cel-shaded way, returning zelda to non-cellshaded.End
MetallicA rules all.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2003, 02:10:33 PM »
well Miyamoto-san did say in an interview that he would like kid link to look sorta funny and adult link to look realalistic.  He said it depends on the game, and that the WW could NOT look otherwise.  It just wouldn't work.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2003, 02:10:46 PM »
So, you want the series to grow stale, like Final Fantasy?

Miyamoto did what he needed to in order to keep the series alive.  Ocarina of Time II is not something anyone would appreciate.  If we had a realistic Zelda, these same people would be in here complaining that Nintendo has no new tricks.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 02:13:42 PM »
I don't think the new Link design is bad at all; espicially since they fixed him up a bit from when they first revealed the cel-shaded look.  The art direction for this game does indeed remind me of the 2D Zelda games, and that to me is a good thing.  Also, the cartoonish and exagerated character design gives the game more personality I believe.  The prospect of controlling a cartoon is so exciting. But maybe I just appreciate the artistic vision of this game because I myself am an (aspiring) artist.  Anyway, let's just give this game a chance, and play it before we start pronouncing how bad it is.  No need to be premature.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2003, 02:14:15 PM »
There were only 2 real looking zelda's and everyone acts like every game was made that same way.  The first thing i said when i saw Majora's Mask was, why does it look the SAME.  They should have given it something new.  Monotony is the down fall of franchises.  That is why GTA will be a good seller now, but not forever.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline willys85

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2003, 02:31:17 PM »
Whats wrong with this guy luciferschild??? so you don't care about the gameplay or the story of the game, or in the revolutionary system that Shigeru Miyamoto brings with his characters, do you know why link's eyes are so big??? have you read something about the emotions transmited by links eyes, try to do something like that with normal "proportional" eyes

You are one of the morons that loves judges the games about the graphics, you don't care about the fun on it, to you if a game looks more real is more fun to you, right???

i have to admit it, when i see the game the first time i don't like it, but then the game starts to evolve and began to be more special and i don't care about the graphics, because the game looks really awsome, because the game is incredible

this guy luciferschild likes more a realistic zelda but very boring with realistic moves so the new link can't roll or do a back flip because his shield or his sword that are very realistic that don't let link do some kind of moves, but the game is realistic so you love it and you don't care how boring it is

You are a real video game master, you really know what to see in the games to be good

So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2003, 02:38:28 PM »

I wonder what link will look like in the next game, a green care bear made of cloud fluff….nah that would be too MATURE for nintendo.

Boy if you were my kid it would be the belt to you.

And nintendo could do that idea and STILL make it a hit, cause they know that that stuff doesn't matter in games.  It is just a feature.  Something extra like nice music.  We liked games when charaters were only made of 3 color pixls, why do we all of the sudden need underarm hair for a game to be cool.  
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2003, 02:52:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Luciferschild
I got to let off some steam about this new zelda game cause I just can’t hold it in anymore. Sorry if this gets ugly. My biggest problem with this new zelda game is link’s character design. No, I don’t give a crap that it’s cell shaded. They could of made a cool looking cell shaded game if they weren’t such idiots. Why does link look so retarded. Link used to be at least well proportioned, now his head is bigger than his body, his eyes are bigger than his head and is arms are longer than his legs, not to mention the rediculous face. He looks like a gaay telletubby. Real swell nintendo. The style of the graphics could be a better too. It looks like some disney movie on crack. In fact the game is so kiddie looking that it makes mario sunshine look like grand theft auto. I’m sure it’ll be a good game and everything with great gameplay but just imagine how great it would be if it looked half ways decent. If this is the direction they are going with zelda I wonder what link will look like in the next game, a green care bear made of cloud fluff….nah that would be too MATURE for nintendo. I just hope they don’t mess the next zelda game up so bad. Now I know most of you secretly feel the same way as me about this but you are in denial and don’t want to admit it to yourselves. Just my opinion, don’t get bent out of shape.

God if you could get anymore childish it would be funny.  What is the big deal with the graphics.  Yeah and I guess in your world Link wouldn't be fighting monsters.  Thats not realistic enough.  He would be fighting lawyers over the divorce with Zelda, and Ganon would be the judge.  Yeah that sounds like fun.  The Legend of Zelda: Divorce of Time  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2003, 02:57:41 PM »

5)"a disney movie on crack"? Im pretty sure most Disney movies were made while on crack

Actually, i believe it's acid.   Speaking of acid, I always said Super Mario Bros. was definately conceived while under the influence of something, i'm guessing mushrooms!  Think about some of the creatures in the Mario series.  As for LINK, I don't mind the look, and it looks downright beautiful in motion.  But I think 'A Link to the past' was a beautiful game as well.  It's about being engulfed into the game that makes it great.  Get over graphics children, that's not what makes games memorable.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2003, 03:30:06 PM »
Why do people think that creativity can only be inspired by drugs?  It's possible, but I've never taken a drug in my life and you should see some of the crap I make up.

Also, if oyu haven't seen the WW as a video or haven't played it, you can't pass judgement.  Screenshots say nothing.  It's amazing.  Link does look extremely silly, but he has very provocative emotions and good expressions and whatnot.  It's good, trust me.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2003, 03:41:41 PM »
Well I have to begrudgingly agree with Luciferschild, I've reserved Zelda and I'm sure I will enjoy it but I'd be lying if I said I prefered the new look. I like Cel shading but I still do not care for Links design. Well hopefully the next quest has a teen or adult like. He can be cell shaded or realistic, wouldnt' matter either way.....just as long as he doesn't look like TWW Link.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2003, 03:51:10 PM »
OMFG WHAT HAVE N1NTENDO DONE 2 tEH LINK!!!111 LOKKS LIKE KID FUKK THEm!!! LOL!!1

Personally, I very much like this style of Link. It's kind of like a return to his Zelda 3 look on SNES, which is very nice indeed.
To me, it feels like Nintendo have designed this with the hardcore Zelda fans in mind, the ones that grew up with his adventures.

I could care less that he looks like a 'carbear' or a 'telletubby' as you put it. The art direction is beyond fantastic, seeing this in motion melts my eyes.
The adventure's still there, the challenge is still there, the ability to cut bushes is still there. That's enough!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2003, 04:01:08 PM »
I still can't believe this conversation is going on here, at what might be the best GameCube forum I've heard tell of.  A topic so freaking old and talked-out that I can't even begin to describe it.

I have this beautiful .jpeg of Link sailing in his boat on my desktop.  I truly think that this game has not only the best art design of any Zelda game, but also the best character art.

So help me, I have severe doubts about the integrity of anyone who dares to claim that the Link in Soul Calibur 2 (or any realistic-looking Link) would fit better in the world that Miyamoto and Company have devised for "The Wind Waker."  I defy anyone, anyone, anyone to make a good, solid case.

Hint: You're not going to do it.

PS--Holy crap...I'm propagating this conversation.  I feel sick.  I thought we were past this!!!!  *cries*

Infernal Monkey writes:

The adventure's still there, the challenge is still there, the ability to cut bushes is still there. That's enough!

Infernal Monkey, I love you.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2003, 04:04:50 PM »
Amen.

Actually, seeing the Link in Soul Caliber. . . he looks oddly fake. . . I'm sure a game will be fine if they use "realistic" graphics, but he looks oddly artificial.  I like the new style though, but it doesn't matter which way they go with the next game, graphically speaking.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2003, 04:31:53 PM »
Well basically what I was saying is that I don't like the new look, but I had a lot of pent up anger in that post. I know it's gonna have great gameplay and everything but I'm not as excited about it as I should be. And I have to dispute that link was cartoony looking in A Link to the Past, he had a cool look in that game from the overhead perspective using the best graphics available at the time. How is that cartoony? He didn't look like a freak like he does in this game. And I wasn't talking about "realistic graphics" so much as character design, but yeah I wouldn't mind a zelda game that has a more grown up look. Remember how hot princess zelda is in oot?  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
New Zelda Look
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2003, 04:40:15 PM »
Hostile, I totally agree.  I'm ELATED that Link is in SC2, however, I don't think he fits in Nintendo's vision of where Zelda needs to go right now.  Can it be done realistically later?  Of COURSE, but Miyamoto and his proteges need to be utterly convinced that there is something big in the game that will set it apart, aside from the name "Zelda."  With Wind Waker, the graphics were in service of a beautiful whimsy, it seems, and whimsy isn't gotten very easily from realism--an understatement which goes without saying.

As Miyamoto says, if they go realistic, actions like floating on leaves and shooting characters from cannons become less susceptible to that essential "suspension of disbelief" and more likely to invite wisecracks.  Realism WILL drastically alter that which we think of as Zelda.*  Can anyone else not see this?

As for Link's face, it is an aesthetic choice, and a slightly bold one (not as bold as people think) and as such, it is going to be met with disagreement.  But I know people who won't bother playing the thing because it doesn't look like what they have in mind.  I respect it for the exact same reason.

Having seen many videos of the game in motion, I wouldn't have it any other way.

*Granted, down the road, Zelda will be in need of an overhaul, PERHAPS, but considering they are subtly reinventing the series with nearly every game, I have great assurances that some kind of full-force makeover will almost never be needed.  (And no, I don't see Wind Waker as a drastic overhaul, but as so many others see it--a tip o' the hat to the Link of yore.)