Author Topic: Wii U Virtual Console Launch Lineup Announced  (Read 10460 times)

Offline Steel Diver

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Gamer Thoughts
Wii U Virtual Console Launch Lineup Announced
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »

Which brand new 20+ year old games will you be playing on the Wii U?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33982

Nintendo revealed its Wii U Virtual Console launch lineup today on their official Facebook page.

Coming to the Wii U Virtual Console on day one are: Balloon Fight (NES), Donkey Kong Jr. (NES), Excitebike (NES), F-Zero (SNES), Ice Climber (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES), Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (NES), and Super Mario World (SNES).

No specific launch day has been announced, but rumors hint at the end of this week.

I'm a staff writer here at good ol' Nintendo World Report, but I also have a Nintendo website at www.nintendogamerthoughts.com

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U Virtual Console Launch Lineup Announced
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »
Not a single surprise, those are the games featured in the Nintendo Direct when Iwata was talking about the Wii U Virtual Console.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
Boooooooo!

Offline IssunZX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been following this very closely...If you already own these on the Wii, can you just transfer them to Wii U and use them on the Wii U Virtual Console (i.e. use them on the gamepad, etc.)? I love Kirby's Adventure and everything, but I'm not really interested in double-dipping if that's not the case. I'd sooner wait for some new releases that Nintendo ignored for VC the first time around.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been following this very closely...If you already own these on the Wii, can you just transfer them to Wii U and use them on the Wii U Virtual Console (i.e. use them on the gamepad, etc.)? I love Kirby's Adventure and everything, but I'm not really interested in double-dipping if that's not the case. I'd sooner wait for some new releases that Nintendo ignored for VC the first time around.

You can do a system transfer (though you have to move ALL your Wii content) and transfer it to a Wii U. But you then have to play them in Wii Mode (essentially making the Wii U think it's a Wii). This means you can only use the Wii Remote or Classic Controller. If you want the Wii U version (i.e. the one that supports Miiverse, Off-TV Play, etc.), you have to pay a fee to upgrade the Wii version. It's $1 for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games. So if you want to upgrade to the Wii U version of Kirby's Adventure, you can pay $1 (though Nintendo said that when you upgrade, you will lose your gamesave).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Magiteknights

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
This line-up is pure trash! If you've owned a Wii U since launch than you already own 4 of these games. They're repeating the same mistake with this virtual console as they did with the Wii. Lackluster titles, trickle outs and nonsense.

For shame Iwata... for shame
3DS Friend Code: 3282-2322-2643
Nintendo Network ID: Magiteknight

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
Hahaha. The least they could have done is not included the ones already available. : /
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:12:26 PM »
What a pathetic lineup, though I expected no less from Nintendo of America, who wouldn't know what to do if they didn't set the lowest possible expectations to ensure they'd exceed them.  Here's to a handful of actual new VC games scattered amongst the trick of old VC releases over the next 2-3 years, if the Wii U even lasts that long.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
what a disgrace!!  :@ :@ :@ :@ . I don't see why a huge collection of games is not available. Like 50+
How much work is it really?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
What a pathetic lineup, though I expected no less from Nintendo of America, who wouldn't know what to do if they didn't set the lowest possible expectations to ensure they'd exceed them.
Is Nintendo of America even responsible for that? I was under the impression that all the Wii U features are handled in Japan so Nintendo of America is just releasing what they're given.
what a disgrace!!  :@ :@ :@ :@ . I don't see why a huge collection of games is not available. Like 50+
Didn't each Virtual Console game have its own emulator or something? If Nintendo decided to emulate in a more efficient way on Wii U, they would essentially be starting from scratch.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
What a pathetic lineup, though I expected no less from Nintendo of America, who wouldn't know what to do if they didn't set the lowest possible expectations to ensure they'd exceed them.  Here's to a handful of actual new VC games scattered amongst the trick of old VC releases over the next 2-3 years, if the Wii U even lasts that long.

This line-up is pure trash! If you've owned a Wii U since launch than you already own 4 of these games. They're repeating the same mistake with this virtual console as they did with the Wii. Lackluster titles, trickle outs and nonsense.

For shame Iwata... for shame

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
I wanted Gamecube VC :(

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
It just makes me wonder what exactly the problem is. Is it that difficult to add the new features? Maybe they don't like the idea of this or that game getting lost in a wave of games. Maybe they don't want to plop down 25+ new miiverse communities in one day? Maybe they've bitten off more than they can chew.

I really wish I could see what was going on over there.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
Not every vc game needs a community........but they need a better way to search through communities, hell even alphebetical order would be a nice start.  I am dissapointed that some of the games were already .30 cent titles.  And only eight?  I have a ton on my Wii still, but not looking to pay 1 or 1.50 to upgrade.  By then I could have bought two-three retail wii u games.........
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »
I would be okay with this if we get eight games next week and the week after. But I doubt that will happen.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »

Get that weak **** outta here. It's a video game site. Everything is a so-called "1st World Problem", so you're going to have to do better than that.  The internet, you see, is serious business.  :cool;

It just makes me wonder what exactly the problem is. Is it that difficult to add the new features? Maybe they don't like the idea of this or that game getting lost in a wave of games. Maybe they don't want to plop down 25+ new miiverse communities in one day? Maybe they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Granted, Nintendo's not the most competent video game company around, but on this I'm more inclined to believe it's sheer laziness.  It's just Nintendo trying to space out their existing library over the lifespan of the Wii U because they don't want to have to put the effort into putting new content on the Virtual Console (at least, not for quite a long time).  They know that there will be fanboys out there that will line-up to defend them to the death with tales of "how hard" putting ROMs up on their Wii U eShop is and new message board forums to go with them.

Apparently it was an outrage when Sony only had something like 50 freely-transferrable PSP games compatible with the Vita when that feature launched, but when Nintendo launches the Wii U's counterpart with a whopping eight games (half of which were already available and the other half largely aren't worth playing) we should be grateful.  :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
Apparently it was an outrage when Sony only had something like 50 freely-transferrable PSP games compatible with the Vita when that feature launched

Except the major difference is that was the ONLY way to play your PSP games on a PS Vita. You can technically play all 400+ Virtual Console games on your Wii U already, this is just a upgrade to those games to add Wii U functionality like playing with the Wii U GamePad and Miiverse support. But you can already play all those VC games on your Wii in Wii Mode.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
Are we talking about the UMD Passport? I think my main issue with it was the pricing. In some instances, Sony was charging more for the transfer downloads to Vita than the UMD currently cost at retail which is a total WTF. The concept was good and Sony didn't have to go out of their way, but the execution was terrible. Nintendo could have offered the Wii U extras for free and that would have been awesome, but at the very least, they're offering the upgrade at a discount and no one is forced to upgrade. Nintendo could have charged more or even full price. Yes, the upgrade cost adds up for those with hundreds in Virtual Console titles. Then again, they already spent hundreds of dollars on Virtual Console games. I wonder if the issue is more money or principle though I still think the upgrade is justifiable since it isn't mandatory and you are getting something for that fee.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
That's insanely disappointing. Is Nintendo intentionally sabotaging their own system now?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 12:11:59 AM »
For me, this issue has been one of the most disappointing things about Virtual Console, and it appears that it's an issue on both 3DS and Wii U; which is the slow and tedious process of re-releasing virtual console games that were already released on Wii. I think my hope (one which I don't think was entirely unrealistic) was that the Wii VC would provide a base library that would then be built upon when subsequent hardware launched. In other words, I did not expect Nintendo to go through the whole interminable process of slowly re-releasing VC games for each individual piece of hardware. I did expect some type of re-licensing fee for those who already owned the games, but my hope was that the existing Wii VC library would be fully available on any subsequent Nintendo hardware (both for those who already purchased the games and those who are purchasing them for the first time).

The idea of going through this piecemeal release schedule again for games which were already released on Wii VC and/or 3DS VC is far from appealing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:15:56 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »
Just another quick thought. I'm no expert, but you'd think that purely from a business standpoint, launching Wii U VC with a substantial library could be used as a major selling point. The Wii U does not have a wealth of games out there right now; I'm sure for owners of the system having access to a large library of classic Nintendo games would be very much welcome and it might even sell a few systems.

I really can't comprehend who is supposed to benefit from this decision to re-release these VC games piecemeal.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:25:34 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline regin

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I will definitely check back every week for the next five years to see if the game I'm waiting for is randomly selected for a VC release!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:44 AM »
One thing that could happen is that each Virtual Console game that has similar enough emulators that should be able to release large quantities relatively quickly. Each game has its own emulator, but Nintendo could have design a umbrella emulator and thus would only have to marry it to be able to work only for the Wii U. This should not take more than two months to get the full library on the Wii U. In the mean time they could release games that they have neglected to put the normal Wii as exclusive to that of the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
Nintendo honestly has no idea what to do there, there are indie developers on the eshop who would hate to be lost in an ocean of virtual console games and so releasing them all at once is a horrible idea, but they know they will get some pretty heavy heat if they choose to go the 3DS route, it is a tough spot tbh

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
there are indie developers on the eshop who would hate to be lost in an ocean of virtual console games
Hm. Interesting point, but as a consumer i kinda think of VC and WiiWare/DSiWare/eShop as separate platforms.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks