Author Topic: An Ode to Frederick the Wary  (Read 1868 times)

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
An Ode to Frederick the Wary
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

My knight in shining armor. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/33406

For all you who haven’t yet received your copy of Fire Emblem Awakening, I’m afraid my latest ode may be lost on you. Oh, weary travelers, how I mourn for your loss! This ode is for a man who has been my defender and comrade, saving my life countless times throughout the war that tore its way through the land. This man has kept an eye out for not only me, but my friends as well. This man... is Frederick the Wary. 

Frederick is the standard master class character that accompanies you from the beginning of Fire Emblem. In Sacred Stones, it was Seth the Paladin; in Shadow Dragon, it was Jagen the Paladin; and in Awakening, it is Frederick the Great Knight. Frederick has a special place in my heart, though. If it weren’t for him, my band of Shepards would have been wiped out in Chapter 1. Through his sheer badassery, he took down a whole squadron of mercenaries and barbarians, leaving the remains for my weak team to grow on. It’s because of him I was able to develop some of my favorite characters, like Lon’qu and Donnel (who has the potential to be a tank). 

He is 105 pounds of raw destruction.

Frederick, you are by far the most helpful character in the first few chapters. Granted, when I’m later able to promote characters, you become less useful, but you’re still a valued member of the team. You may be a support character by Chapter 9, but you’re still one helluva fighter. While other members fall to the wayside, like Ricken, you will always be in my top 10. Maybe top 15 by the end. We’ll see how many assassins I can get. 

Fellow Fire Emblem enthusiasts, join me as I weave an ode for our most prestigious of starting characters! 

“From far and wide, we gather allies. 

At my side, you’ll always stay. 

With Risen to the left and thieves on the right, 

your hands, so deft, will strike them down. 

Thank you, dear knight, for saving us all. 

Not only from plight, but from those GOD DAMN ARCHERS.â€

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: An Ode to Frederick the Wary
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
my donnel has been through 1 second seal, and now is on level 4 of his master seal class, is a beast. fred is also still a beast.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
This is my first Fire Emblem game (and I'm loving it, by the way). So keep in mind my status as a novice when I say this, as I very well may be playing it wrong...

...but I'm at chapter 13 now, and Frederick is still a beast in my playthrough. Everybody says he isn't useful as the game wears on, so I'm wondering how long this can last.

Also, not to step on Josh's toes, but there was a similarly poignant article on Kotaku about Frederick the Wary that people might enjoy.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
This is my first Fire Emblem game (and I'm loving it, by the way). So keep in mind my status as a novice when I say this, as I very well may be playing it wrong...

...but I'm at chapter 13 now, and Frederick is still a beast in my playthrough. Everybody says he isn't useful as the game wears on, so I'm wondering how long this can last.

Also, not to step on Josh's toes, but there was a similarly poignant article on Kotaku about Frederick the Wary that people might enjoy.

I keep using him, and he keeps destroying things. so, idk. I'm only on chp12, and have done tons of grinding so I'm pretty op.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
I used Frederick to ferry my healers everywhere, and that's pretty much it. He's been shelved for other characters.

I teamed Lon'qu and Sully and even with their mediocre stats, they muscle through any opposition. Thinking about giving Lon'qu Lethality because, why not?

The game has essentially devolved into a grindfest for me, what with the Golden Gaffe and being able to summon Risen and Spotpass teams. In the early chapters the story was what drove me, but now it's just a mad quest to max out people's stats.

It's a good game, but I'm looking forward to a more rewarding grinding experience, as I'm at Chapter 22 with maxed out stats in almost every area and there's very little post-game content. I may restart on Lunatic but I dread that early-game experience.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
Clayton, HOW DARE YOU BRING THAT IN HERE. But seriously, you're not the first one to alert me of that today. I've found quite a few people singing Fred's high praises today. I think it's just because for the first time in a while I (along with many other players) didn't just shelf my Master Class by chapter 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lon'qu ode coming soon... Maybe... if I'm allowed.