Author Topic: Pikmin 3 Will Not Have Online Multiplayer  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Pikmin 3 Will Not Have Online Multiplayer
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »

Those expecting to create strategies with others around the world are out of luck.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30736

Pikmin 3 will not support online play.

Game director Shigeru Miyamoto stated that it was a matter of keeping the frame rate up while controlling so many specific Pikmin at any given time.

"So in the case of Mario Kart, we did have online multiplayer, and that's something that... You have to be very careful that you don't drop frames as you're trying to sync up with other players over what could be a very great physical distance, over the internet. But in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection," said Miyamoto.

Pikmin 3 is expected to release during the Wii U launch window later this year.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Pikmin 3 Will Not Have Online Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
Kind of a bummer but I guess it makes sense.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
I'd say it makes a lot more sense than their previous excuses for New Super Mario Bros. Wii not being online.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
I'd say it makes a lot more sense than their previous excuses for New Super Mario Bros. Wii not being online.

no it doesn't. It's just them being stuck 30 years in the networking past. I live in a world were starcraft online is a thing.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »

no it doesn't. It's just them being stuck 30 years in the networking past. I live in a world were starcraft online is a thing.

lolwut

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

lolwut

I can see the point being made. Starcraft, Starcraft 2, and plenty of other real-time strategy games have online multiplayer with hundreds of units moving around in a single match. I can't imagine Pikmin 3 to be significantly more complicated that some sort of online multiplayer couldn't be worked out. Though if it is, that's pretty awesome.

In the end, online cooperative play would've been a nice treat, but it's no biggie that it is missing.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
I think this is, more than anything, Nintendo placing its usual priority on crafting/controlling the game experience.  I don't agree with the method, but I think this excuse about frame rates is a ruse.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
I don't really buy it either, especially with some of the odd PR lines Nintendo gives. It would have been nice for a game like Pikmin 3 to have online multiplayer to give some indication of how different Nintendo's new online structure is.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
I'll be the dissenting voice that says I don't give a ****. I likely wouldn't have played the game online anyway. I just don't play many games online (Kid Icarus is likely the closest I got to regularly playing a game online ever).

Nintendo and Me: Making and Playing Games Back-Assward Since Xbox Live Launched
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
I'll be the dissenting voice that says I don't give a ****. I likely wouldn't have played the game online anyway. I just don't play many games online (Kid Icarus is likely the closest I got to regularly playing a game online ever).

Nintendo and Me: Making and Playing Games Back-Assward Since Xbox Live Launched

I don't think Pikmin lends itself to online play.   A lot of people seem to be making Starcraft comparisons, but the average Starcraft game, when you don't have stupid arbitrary rules like "no rushing for 10 minutes," usually last for less than 20 minutes.  Pikmin online, either coop or vs., might be fun between friends who've reserved a set time and are willing to play together for an hour, but I think the average player, especially if they're playing strangers, will not want to play hour long multiplayer sessions on a regular basis.   If you look at all multiplayer games, especially popular ones, there tends to be a cap on the length of each session.  With the exception of MMO's and Diablo, of course.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »

I can see the point being made. Starcraft, Starcraft 2, and plenty of other real-time strategy games have online multiplayer with hundreds of units moving around in a single match. I can't imagine Pikmin 3 to be significantly more complicated that some sort of online multiplayer couldn't be worked out. Though if it is, that's pretty awesome.

Pikmin has a lot more stuff going on in it then all those other online RTS games though.  Pikmin has much bigger enemies on screen and larger more complex environments.  The environments in games like Starcraft are mostly just flat area's that everyone looks at from a top down perspective.  Plus these are point and click games where you're not manually controlling a fully 3D character in 3rd person perspective either.

If Pikmin 3 is anything like the previous Pikmin, and some of the later area's of the game filled with larger enemies and you have control of 100 Pikmin, it's not hard to see why Nintendo is worried about online lag problems.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
I don't really see how Multiplayer really works in Pikmin without changing the core gameplay in anything but co-op.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline supergtt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

Pikmin has a lot more stuff going on in it then all those other online RTS games though.  Pikmin has much bigger enemies on screen and larger more complex environments.  The environments in games like Starcraft are mostly just flat area's that everyone looks at from a top down perspective.  Plus these are point and click games where you're not manually controlling a fully 3D character in 3rd person perspective either.

If Pikmin 3 is anything like the previous Pikmin, and some of the later area's of the game filled with larger enemies and you have control of 100 Pikmin, it's not hard to see why Nintendo is worried about online lag problems.

but for network data none of that matters at all. you just bascialy have "where is unit" and "what actions is unit doing/have done to it" and "what has changed with this unit" none of which require constant verification among all clients.

in starcraft you could easily have 800 units in a single game.

nintendo isn't worried about lag. They have no idea what they are doing in the networking world. They don't even have hardware support for tcp. they emulate tcp and send that over udp. They do networking the most ass backwards way they could think of.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
In short, nintendo's to cheap to pay for servers.  There's plenty of online games that have 1000's of units on screen and it's really up to the servers.  Good server = no lag.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »
It's not a big deal, but Pikmin is essentially a strategy game and strategy games can make for some exciting competitve multplayer. It's a shame they couldn't find a way to make it work.
Gouge away.

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
In those other RTS games, how many of them implement physics for the units, all the while having 100+ units in the same place abiding by said rules of physics? That deals with a lot more network data to transmit than a simple "where am I" request for each unit.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
Pikmin 2 had some cool multiplayer.  I'm thinking at this point if you have multiplayer you make online an option.  This is just how things are done these days.  Don't get rid of local multiplayer because I love that, but you gotta offer online.

Don't force a game to have multiplayer.  There is nothing wrong with a single player only game.  But if you have multiplayer, there better be some major technical hurdle to not put it online.  I suspect Nintendo is just not doing it to meet launch.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »
Why is Legend of Zelda not an MMO? Get with the times, Nintendummies.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
Not enough stats to grind in a Zelda game.

It might be nice to see a Portal-2-esque dungeon puzzle creation tool. That could be pretty fun.

Offline supergtt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
In those other RTS games, how many of them implement physics for the units, all the while having 100+ units in the same place abiding by said rules of physics? That deals with a lot more network data to transmit than a simple "where am I" request for each unit.

what are you talking about? what physics? You let the client handle all of that. You think SC2 sends all the data on unit destructions and parts flying off and all that? no. you don't send data you don't need.

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
I'm OK with Pikmin 3 not having online (I wasn't expecting it anyway), but I'll be pissed if the first Miiverse central game (New Super Mario Bros. U) doesn't have online.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
Be honest: yall just want to go online so you can stand around and throw other people's Pikmin in the water.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
I don't care at all about competitive multiplayer, but online co-op would have been cool. Still, I'm not going to miss it too much. I just want to play the game now!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
Be honest: yall just want to go online so you can stand around and throw other people's Pikmin in the water.
Who's down with OPP? All the homies!
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline MrPwnage

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »
Bad excuse, there are plenty of games that have a lot more stuff on screen (battlefield 3) plus the fact that all the stuff flying everywhere has to be able to be synced with not two but 32 players all at once...

It's alright though because Pikmin doesn't need onine play.