Author Topic: 'Nintendo Network' Logo Surfaces on Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Game Case  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile

A new online service may have been revealed.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29019

A potential new online initiative from Nintendo called Nintendo Network was revealed in a box art photo posted by Twitter user joshua_x_.

An icon in the form of a white lowercase "n" over an orange background appears in the upper right hand corner of the game box. The logo is reminiscent of the RSS logo and uses the same font as Nintendo Zone. The logo did not appear on art distributed to online retailers.

As of yet, Nintendo has not spoken about such a feature or service, although the name itself has been used before, most recently for a 3D photo contest in Japan.

Alongside the logo is confirmation that Theatrhythm's downloadable content will be paid DLC.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: 'Nintendo Network' Logo Surfaces on Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Game Case
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Can't wait to here news about it. The name alone sounds more promising than the gibberish that came before it on Wii.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »
The name alone sounds more promising than the gibberish that came before it on Wii.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection with the blue and white logo?

Offline pololmejor

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
Well, if we see this logo on Animal Crossing than we know what it's all about

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
lets hope this heralds a move away from only supporting wifi on their home systems.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
I'm hoping it a simular service to what they had in Japan for the SNES. (Though it is hoping quite a bit) Though I hope they have a unified service that bridges their devices it got to be simpler for them and us if they do that.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Nintendo Network is nice and simple. I got attached to my idea of Nintendo Online Service (NOS), but I don't think it would have worked all to well.
lets hope this heralds a move away from only supporting wifi on their home systems.
Ah, well there is always the USB Ethernet dongle that costs around 20 bucks. I used one until I got a new Wi-Fi router.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
The cynical part of me bets this is just the name of the service used to purchase free and paid DLC for Nintendo platforms.

Still makes me so sad that Nintendo is climbing aboard that gravy train. =(  We shouldn't have let paid DLC happen, gamers!! Sorry, but, we blew it.

Look forward to a future called "home arcade!" in which console/handheld games are purely digital and free to download but require credit card access and charge $.50 for each life. =(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
There's nothing inherently wrong with paid DLC; it's all about how companies use it. Something like Rock Band really benefits from it, and when it's used for major new content above and beyond the initial game that's great. Yeah, charging for stuff that could have been on the disc just to nickel and dime people sucks, but that's not a problem with DLC, it's just those companies being dicks.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
For me, paid DLC depends on how I feel about the game I paid for. If it lacked in content and had a bunch of paid DLC at launch, then that's a ripoff. If there was plenty to do, but more levels/missions/whatever are added later, I'd gladly pay for it if I loved the game. Everything else in between is a gray area.

EDIT: You know what I don't like? iOS games where you can buy coins you can otherwise just earn in the game to buy stuff. Games like Hanging with Friends where new avatars or balloons cost like 1000+ coins even though you can only earn increments of 20. You'd have to play that game a **** ton to realistically earn those things or you could just give them $20.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:39:46 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
Nintendo Network is nice and simple. I got attached to my idea of Nintendo Online Service (NOS), but I don't think it would have worked all to well.
Ah, well there is always the USB Ethernet dongle that costs around 20 bucks. I used one until I got a new Wi-Fi router.

I have a wifi router. I just like wires. my tv is like, 10 feet from my router. everything I have in this room is wired.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Have we thought about the idea the "Nintendo Network" may just be their idea of a "Marketplace". They may still use the name "Nintendo Wi-Fi" to symbolize their online service and "Nintendo Network" be the marketplace to buy more game content on "Nintendo Wi-Fi". Instead of the old system of orange and blue Wi-Fi logos
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
Have we thought about the idea the "Nintendo Network" may just be their idea of a "Marketplace". They may still use the name "Nintendo Wi-Fi" to symbolize their online service and "Nintendo Network" be the marketplace to buy more game content on "Nintendo Wi-Fi". Instead of the old system of orange and blue Wi-Fi logos

That would be unnecessarily confusing and make no real sense from a marketing or ease of use perspective. So considering this is Nintendo's online strategy, that sounds about right.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
That would be unnecessarily confusing and make no real sense from a marketing or ease of use perspective. So considering this is Nintendo's online strategy, that sounds about right.

This, my friends, is how a true Nintendo fan manages his expectations.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
@Insano

Rock Band, etc. COULD have been a good use of DLC... if they stopped releasing new $50-$60 products every year and just said "you have the plastic, here's the tunes".  Or, they could have made the discs retail at $20 and make up for it that way.  But, no, they wanted it both ways and got it until people got tired of the content itself.

Other than that, it's not good because for every 1 instance of fair implementation there are 10 cases of having the consumer by the nuts and saying "wallets too please."  For me, I view it all under the same umbrella that sees exclusive maps and items and characters when you pre-order games.  That's the kind of evil the market largely operates under these days.  "Oh, you think our game isn't worth $60 and you want to wait for inevitable price drop a few months later? Well, you COULD do that... and miss out on this content."

Whatever though, just my opinion.  I think these guys sum it up pretty well though ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVxvSy7lptk

@UncleBob

Yea, Nintendo sure is lame.  What site do you mod again?  ::)

~~~

Also, GoNintendo has a pretty decent hypothesis: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=170463
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:53:06 AM by NinSage »

Offline thesignpainter

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
So nobody has taken note of "Connecting to Nintendo Network" whenever you go online on MK7?

It's just the name of the service...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »
@Insano

Rock Band, etc. COULD have been a good use of DLC... if they stopped releasing new $50-$60 products every year and just said "you have the plastic, here's the tunes".  Or, they could have made the discs retail at $20 and make up for it that way.  But, no, they wanted it both ways and got it until people got tired of the content itself.

Other than that, it's not good because for every 1 instance of fair implementation there are 10 cases of having the consumer by the nuts and saying "wallets too please."  For me, I view it all under the same umbrella that sees exclusive maps and items and characters when you pre-order games.  That's the kind of evil the market largely operates under these days.  "Oh, you think our game isn't worth $60 and you want to wait for inevitable price drop a few months later? Well, you COULD do that... and miss out on this content."

Whatever though, just my opinion.  I think these guys sum it up pretty well though ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVxvSy7lptk

@UncleBob

~~~

Also, GoNintendo has a pretty decent hypothesis: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=170463

Rock Band 3 was definitely worthy of a new disc release; it added a ton of new content beyond just more songs. RB2, maybe not so much.

And I'm not UncleBob, but I believe I speak for him and myself when I say that we both love Nintendo and have spent a lot of time with their products, which is why we're in the perfect position to point out that they have historically been pretty bad at online gaming. I hope they get better, and the 3DS took a lot of good steps, but I have fairly low expectations.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
So nobody has taken note of "Connecting to Nintendo Network" whenever you go online on MK7?

Probably not, since it only says that in the European versions.  There's not a lot of European folks here on the site. :D

@UncleBob

No one who knows me would question my undying love for Nintendo.  Seriously, I own three Wiis and seven GameCubes.  I own a Virtual Boy.  That works.  And I play it. :D

With that said, Nintendo has flaws.  Many of them.  I know Nintendo's weak points and I don't expect them to improve on them overnight.

That doesn't change the fact that I'll be one of the first in line for my WiiU the day before it comes out. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Yeah, him questioning your love of Nintendo literally made me laugh out loud a little bit. If anything, you love Nintendo too much. Not in the usual sense of defending every single thing they do regardless of how dumb it is, but in the sense that you have too many Game Boy Players and GameCube Broadband Adapters and the ability to play 16-player Faceball 2000 matches.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
I'm with UncleBob on this one. I hate, hate, HATE the typical Nintendo fanboy mentality that they are flawless and perfect, and if you point out issues then you don't love the company. In my case at least, it is quite the contrary. I LOVE Nintendo. It and Disney were the first entities I was introduced to as a child and shaped me into the man I am today. That being said, just because I love Nintendo it doesn't mean I can't call out issues in how they present things.

Nintendo's online strategy is PATHETIC. You can disguise it all you want, you can say that Nintendo is the victim here, you can come up with ANY excuse as to why Nintendo didn't do well in terms of online content. But the truth is there... NINTENDO'S ONLINE SERVICES WERE THE WORST OUT OF THE BIG THREE. Hell, you can claim that at least Nintendo didn't get hacked like Sony did, but they still offered a better service than Nintendo, and that's what we are talking about here.

Nintendo is apparently coming to the realization that online gaming is VERY important in today's gaming, but they need a better platform for online games and downloadable content, because if you have a great platform developers will come to it and offer their best on the system, and the more games we have the better, and those that support the platform will have better benefits in the long run. It should be a win/win situation for gamers and developers. The truth, however, is that Nintendo burned out too many developers with their lack of online support.

Really, NinSage, stop with the annoying mentality that if you criticize Nintendo you hate the company. It is the opposite. We want Nintendo to make great things, we want Nintendo to be taken seriously, we want Nintendo to be the best, and us just burying our heads on the sand regarding the issues we have as of now will not solve it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Call it whatever you want, it is, at best, confusing when all this love lies largely "assumed" and unspoken while the sentiments voiced are more often like the exhibit I was responding to ...

This, my friends, is how a true Nintendo fan manages his expectations.

Again, no one thinks it should be 100% blind joy.  But is it so crazy to expect 51% or be confused?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:46:23 PM by NinSage »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »
But is it so crazy to expect 51% or be confused?

Yes.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
But is it so crazy to expect 51% or be confused?

Yes.

Ah, now I understand your perspective.  This confusion will surely not happen again in the near future.  I'm glad we had this discussion on the board you work on. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
I'm sorry you wanted me to argue, with you more, but it's not worth my time.

You want me to defend my love for Nintendo based on your reading of a handful of my posts, ignoring any of my previous posting history (including where I constantly discuss my various Nintendo items).  I could go back and dig up all kinds of threads and pictures and such, but 'meh.  You can look through my posting history if you're really that interested.

And, by the way, I don't "work" on this board.  Work is something I do and get paid for.  If you'd like to start sending me a paycheck via PayPal, let me know.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
@Bob

It doesn't ever have to be an argument.  If what you say is true you and I should get along magnificently!!

Some are of the opinion that people should come together around a mutual interest and complain about it more than appreciate it.  I said that didn't make sense to me and asked why it was too much to feel confused by that apparent paradox.  You said it was too much to ask and ended the discussion there.  So, nothing was learned.  That is what makes things not worth our time.

That's cool that you own a lot of Nintendo products - but no one has explained how that should make anyone want to be more negative than positive.  And if you are more positive, why not just say so and be proud to? Why make this difficult?

No one is here to dissect the definition of the word "work" and its connotations of compensation.  Changing the subject leads to things that are not worth your time.  So, yea, you "mod" here.  I hope that's plain enough.

@pap64

I have heard the reasoning that online criticism will lead to a better, stronger ______.

I respectfully disagree.  I can understand why that might make sense on the surface, but there are two primary reasons why I see it differently...

1. Online forums do not influence these companies.  Money does.  Direct paper mail does (to a much lesser extent).  So if you want to be critical via those avenues? By all means, go for it!

I wrote to NoA about OpRainfall.  I was very proud of my letter...
http://nintemple.blogspot.com/2011/07/are-you-part-of-operation.html

2. You want Nintendo to be taken seriously like their competition? Guess what? The fans of the competition glaze over a lot of their issues.  That's why they are taken seriously because every little flaw isn't magnified to the point of absurdity.  There have been many flaws with Sony and MS this generation.

Yet, they come and go, and very few people let RRODs, overheating, removed backwards compatability, and pursuit of the expanded audience/motion control influence their current enjoyment.

The perception then comes off as "AOK" even when they are losing money, coming in 3rd place or merely making disappointing hard/software.  That's not to say they still can't be enjoyed - they definitely can! But, that is the difference you were getting at... as I see it.

Thoughts on these?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:48:19 PM by NinSage »