Author Topic: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 28209 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« on: July 31, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »
Backlaugust: The Official Negative World Nintendo World Report Month for Decimating Backlogs!â„¢ is back again for more action! So start looking through your backlog and get started!

Here are the "rules":

Games can be on any system, not just Nintendo systems. I know we're a Nintendo fan site, but most everyone here is a multi-console owner. So play a game on any system you want.

Let us know what you're playing. Mostly just so we can cheer each other on.

Play games you already own. A lot of people tend to buy a game then not play it, or play it for a significant amount of time and then put it down. This is what we're aiming for. Games that launch in August don't count.

Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

When is a game done? That's up to you! Mark a game off your backlog when you've seen the ending or end credits, or once you've seen enough of the game in a game without a "proper ending" (like an arcade-type game). You don't have to do or get everything unless you want to.

Finished games will be posted in the next post. Because everyone likes to see their accomplishments recognized. Just post when you're done and I'll try to update daily.

Last year we cleared a whopping 44 games and handily outclassed those fake gamers at Negative World we were competing against. Let's try to clear even more games this year!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 08:14:37 PM »
Here's something a little extra I can do since I'm not running the same event on Negative World and with proper forum software this took literal seconds to set up.

Games Completed:
  • Mega Man Zero -Mr. Bungle
  • Maze Walker -Mr. Bungle
  • Mighty Switch Force 2 -Mr. Bungle

Look at what I can do on a proper Video Game Forum. Eat your heart out Zero!!!

:moonface:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:29:03 PM by pokepal148 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:32:51 AM »
Once I finish up my current review game, which should be soon, my big goal is to tackle two sets of classics: Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mass Effect Legendary Edition, completing at least the first game of each of those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
Last year we cleared a whopping 44 games and handily outclassed those fake gamers at Negative World we were competing against.

Wooo!! Best thing about last year's Backlaugust!

I was wondering if we scared off Negative World after last year but I see Mop It Up started a thread there so it's just that you are not doing it for both communities.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 03:53:27 PM »
Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes. Until you've actually played and beat it to your satisfaction then it is part of your backlog. Of course, I do get the idea of using the month to perhaps motivate a person to tackle some of those games that have been in the backlog longer but anything you haven't beat or completed in your backlog is valid. As well, I finally started playing Skyward Sword Wii last month after having had it for like 8 or 9 years and not getting around to it. That's what I'm going to keep playing into this month and focusing on beating and completing. Just because I started it a couple weeks ago, I'm not going to set it aside now for a month when it is still a valid entry as something I can complete in my backlog. I guess what I'm saying pokepal is that...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »
The only new game I plan on playing this month is Hades, which is an old game but will be newly-released on PS4/5, so I doubt it counts.

Until then, I plan on playing either Katamari Damacy Reroll or Yakuza: Like a Dragon, both of which are in my backlog. Will probably pick them up between Hades runs, too.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes. Until you've actually played and beat it to your satisfaction then it is part of your backlog. Of course, I do get the idea of using the month to perhaps motivate a person to tackle some of those games that have been in the backlog longer but anything you haven't beat or completed in your backlog is valid. As well, I finally started playing Skyward Sword Wii last month after having had it for like 8 or 9 years and not getting around to it. That's what I'm going to keep playing into this month and focusing on beating and completing. Just because I started it a couple weeks ago, I'm not going to set it aside now for a month when it is still a valid entry as something I can complete in my backlog. I guess what I'm saying pokepal is that...

The point is moreso to avoid new releases as I see it.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »
It's that time again already?

I've got some in mind. Suikoden I played a good amount of then put down earlier this year. Bravely Default 2 and Astral Chain would also be good candidates.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes...
Just to make sure things are clear, the opening post wasn't written by Poképal148 nor me, it's copy/pasted from the person who used to host Backlaugust on NegativeWorld. With that said, they're not really "rules" more like "guidelines" which is why "rules" was in quotes. Myself, I'm lenient and pretty much accept anything that wasn't released / bought during August regardless of any other circumstance.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »
I'll go anything not released in August or July of this year personally.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
Well, then, I guess I shouldn't have bought The Great Ace Attorney. Guess I'll throw it into the backlog for now.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:19:07 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »
I am traveling right now so I just have my 3DS's. I am working on Mega Man Zero (from the DS collection) now and then plan to start Maze Walker (from the Sega 3D classics collection). Hopefully that is the start of a productive month. I am getting No More Heroes 3 this month but thankfully that is at the end of the month so I will just try to clear my plate before then. Also, thanks for hosting this Pokepal!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »
I had plans to try to work through the Prime Trilogy but I'm waiting on a new pair of glasses because my current pair is getting repaired. Instead, I'm starting up Mother 3 on GBA again. I've had a few different runs of this game that fell through for various reasons but this time we're doing it for real! I'm playing it on my 3DS through totally legit means and I'm hoping to finally knock this off of my wall of shame!

Beyond that, I have access to the japan only DS Chibi Robo with a translation patch which would be good to finish off and there is also Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland I can work through.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:41:46 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
Great to see this initiative return. I don't have anything lined up currently, and haven't gamed in a while. Maybe this'll be enough impetus to pick something from the pile of shame and try it!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
Backlaugust came a month too late. Last month, I suddenly got down business and completed about six games. (Technically, one was at the end of June.) I was thinking about how I should be finishing these next month but I'd rather complete a game in the moment then walk away and doing it later.

But enough about the past. Just finished the 6th dungeon in Skyward Sword last night so that game is progressing along. Pokepal said this thread was to cheer each other on so I don't know why he isn't here to keep encouraging me to play more Skyward Sword.... However, even with his absence, this game has become an addiction for me in the past few days. When I stop playing it, my mind wanders back to the game and the next few things I want to progress with. As a result, I've slacked on life tasks and have dishes piling up in my kitchen, laundry still unfinished, my car is unwashed and I've had a few late nights of gaming resulting in my being quite tired from less sleep. Don't play Skyward Sword, people! It will ruin your life! (That's something pokepal148 can quote me on.  ;) )

Late Saturday night, I got curious about what Nintendo Power had to say on the game so I pulled out the issue where they reviewed SS. Surprisingly, they list all the dungeons in the game and reviewed them also so that's how I learned there were seven altogether. I thought the game may have had eight like TP. I ended up going through dungeon's four, five and six from Friday to Sunday.

It does feel like I'm getting close to the end and yet I know from what others have posted on Discord that there are still a few things I need to do yet. I feel like I've pretty much explored the Faron Woods region thoroughly and there's nothing left to find there. Same with Lanayru although there seems to be an unshaded section on the map still so there's possible a bit more to that area. And there's still a bit in Eldin I need to finish getting through. Doesn't seem like there's much left to fix or solve in Skyloft although the latest equipment I got from this sixth dungeon does have a couple uses there that I can think of. Most of my equipment is fully upgraded but I do need to get some more tumbleweeds for a couple pieces. Tumbleweeds! Who knew that'd be the biggest pain for upgrading equipment?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »
Tumbleweeds! Who knew that'd be the biggest pain for upgrading equipment?
There are spots in the Lanayru desert where they spawn frequently and you can farm them.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
I finished the following up on my vacation:
  • Mega Man Zero - This is a GBA game that was re-released as part of a DS collection that I played on a 3DS, thus spanning 3 generations of Nintendo handhelds. It is also available on Switch. This collection has been on my backlog for years so it was good to finally finish one game of the four. It is quite different from the main game and some differences I liked e.g., different weapons, upgradable weapons, elemental weaknesses; while other differences I did not care for: time limits on some stages, letter grades for performances, inability to revisit previous levels.
  • Maze Walker - Also known as Maze Hunter 3D, this is a Sega Master system game that is included on the Sega 3D Classics collection for 3DS. I don't think you can buy it a la carte. The 3D works really well and the game is pretty short (took me about 3 hours). Pretty impressive for an 8-bit game. If anybody has the SegaScope 3-D glasses I would be interested to hear about how well they work.
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2 - The sequel to WayForward's puzzle action platformer where you can control switch blocks that move in and out of the screen. Another short title (under 5 hours for me). I managed to rescue all the Hooligan sisters and USBs (Ugly Secret Babies). I got the par time for the first incident but after struggling the with second I gave up on that. If you liked the first game then you should enjoy this one as well.

I am back home now and started up Giana Sisters on Wii U. I am also working on the Octo Canyon campaign in Splatoon 2. Should have those wrapped up before the month is over.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
Chibi Robo clean sweep is cute, charming, and totally addictive. I'm at the point where the family just got a shower which doesn't mean much because shockingly there isn't much information out there on a game that was only released in Japan. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how well these touch heavy games run in pixel perfect mode on a new 3DS. Considering how small the display area is on the bottom screen compared to the DS lite you'd expect that to somehow screw with your touch screen inputs but it never does.

I am still working through Mother 3 but between how long of a game it is and the fact that it's a bit harder to devote time to idk how much time I'll have to finish it. There are a few ways to run GBA games on a homebrewed 3DS and my normal go-to is through a software emulation option that supports the 3DS's sleep mode option but for Mother 3 I wanted to use hardware emulation so that the input lag from running the game on mGBA doesn't screw up the rhythm based timed hit mechanics.

But because I'm running the game on 3DS in essentially the same way the GBA ambassador games I don't have access to sleep mode beyond the game's built-in option.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:46:32 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
Ok I'm here! Thank you for those who sent me polite reminders that it is in fact August. Time has warped beyond recognition in the last year or 18 months or whatever.

So. I have been doing a comprehensive good job of cataloging my gaming on backloggery. The problem is lately I've been investing a lot of time setting my own challenges in games I had already beaten. For example this week I completed Super Mario Run, on iOS. This is a game I had beaten many many years ago but found myself going back to earlier this year, my game save erased and smashed through all the levels, all the hidden coins, all the bonus levels etc. etc. Also Cities Skylines which I've set myself the goal of getting all achievements by the end of the year. I'm 69 down, 42 to go.

Backlaugust should hopefully give me the chance to break this cycle, smash through a few short games on my backlog and refresh me for this endless city building experience. Also maybe I can structure my distance education round this?

So, a preliminary plan for the remaining two weeks based on what I have readily available.

-Macintosh-
  • The Novelist: According to Steam I bought this in October 2016 alongside World's Dawn (???). I've never played it. It's meant to be 3 hours of feelings. Will schedule a morning sometime next week to beat it. Clear goal is the end credits.
  • Hades: I guess I got this in March but I can't find the purchase on my Steam or Humble purchase histories so I'm not sure how. I played it a fair bit in March but I was very bad at it. I've cleared the second area. Perhaps switching to gamepad control instead of mouse and keyboard will help me. Will take some regular grinding over the next few weeks. I understand this game is huge and has a lot of 'post-game' or endgame content. But I'll mark it clear when I see the credits.
  • Orwell: I bought Orwell in August of 2018. I've never played it. I've heard it's pretty short and can be finished over a couple of playthroughs. Clear target is the credits. The credits have been seen, 22nd of August.
-iOS-
  • Fire Emblem: Heroes I got this when it came out and quickly lost interest because it felt like Fire Emblem with the difficulty turned way down. I because interested again recently while exploring Nintendo's history of mobile offerings and learning of their new thirst trap inspired way of monetising Fire Emblem. So I'm back in it, I've spent a lot of time grinding miscellaneous challenges to acquire orbs which I exchange for volumptuous beauties to battle with. I've spent a lot of time thinking about them. Now that I do have a plethora of heroines to choose from, I'll just focus on ploughing through the main story. I think I'm halfway through Book III. There's currently four and half books of content and they periodically add more, so my clear condition will be reaching the end of the main story content released as of the 31st of August. Main story content cleared 20th of August.

-Switch-
  • Burnout Paradise Remastered: Cleared as of the 19th of August. As in I've obtained a Burnout License and seen the credits. There's a lot more busywork for the 100% completion nd I don't know if that'll ever happen.
  • The Longing: So uh, an interesting one here. Does it count if a semi idle game like The Longing is finished within the month? I'm going to say it does because I initiated conditions within it to speed up time. I can slow it down again if I change those conditions but right now I'm on track to finish the 300 days in about 5 days.. It is over. 25th of August. I did most of the tasks over my 400 days, but not all. I'll "play" this one again one day. Also I checked and my 400 days began in April.
  • FAR: Lone Sails: I guess this game just got a sequel featured in Indie World. Better make a start on the original to see if it's any good. Clear condition is watching the credits. Beaten, 29th if August. A nice enough trip.
  • New Pokémon Snap: Somehow I stopped playing this about halfway through, and now they've extended the game with more courses! I should be able to knock this one over without too much trouble Clear condition will be viewing the credits and logging a score on the new content.Beaten, 27th of August, 10pm or so. Hmm I see here that I said I would log a score on the new content. I have done that on the stuff that unlocked before th end credits, I suppose I could boot it up and play the new levels now though.
  • Game Builder Garage: Maybe including this is a bit of a cop out but I need to at least finish the tutorials. I can justify itself in my mind because it's sorta like baby's first coding and I'm meant to be learning Python for my data analysis degree so it's basically studying right? Clear condition is finishing all the tutorials.
  • Detention: A leftover from last year! I need an evening alone for this one I reckon, so I'll be sure to play it the moment my partner is away for one reason or another. Loneliness is to maximise spookiness. Aim to see the credits.
  • Ring Fit Adventure: I'm including this out of guilt as a leftover from last year. I don't think it's actually possible for me to finish all the story worlds, at a suitable level of difficulty without risking minor injury to my body within the remaining time so my personal goal is to at least make this game fit into something resembling a health routine by the end of the month. I will not submit it as a beaten game though unless I really do see the credits. I'm currently on World 5.
-The Bench-
These uncategorised games were all leftover from last year. Should I begin to close in on the games above I'll look at elevating something from the bench to the field of play.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Disco Elysium
  • Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon

Backlaugust actually helped me structure my time last year really well, I have a similarly free schedule again this year but more of an impetus to not fall behind with my university work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:28:00 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2021, 01:20:15 AM »
Update. Cheesing a slew of achievements, I have uninstalled Cities: Skylines until I have caught ups ith university work and focus on the games I'm meant to be playing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:41:42 AM by RABicle »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2021, 10:01:43 PM »
    • Ring Fit Adventure: I'm including this out of guilt as a leftover from last year. I don't think it's actually possible for me to finish all the story worlds, at a suitable level of difficulty without risking minor injury to my body within the remaining time so my personal goal is to at least make this game fit into something resembling a health routine by the end of the month. I will not submit it as a beaten game though unless I really do see the credits. I'm currently on World 5.

I am on World 12 with no end in sight. Be careful as the game is not meant to be speed-ran. I recommend a half-hour to an hour per day.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 06:24:07 AM »

I am on World 12 with no end in sight. Be careful as the game is not meant to be speed-ran. I recommend a half-hour to an hour per day.
    Yeah hence why my aim is really jsut to make it part of my routine. I looked up how many worlds tehre are in teh game and, yeah, nice, but no end in site.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: -18986
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: August 15, 2021, 12:26:18 AM »
    I started it before this thread came up and I'm a little bit late for the game club, but I'm going to count Metroid: Samus Returns as one off my backlog since I'd never beaten it before.
    Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
    NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • Score: 20
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 15, 2021, 01:39:27 PM »
    May as well toss my hat in.

Horizon Chase Turbo: May not 100% World Race by the end of the month(or ever). But I want to at least finish racing on all the regions. Already unlocked Hawaii, but trying to at least get a bronze trophy in the remaining Japan tracks before taking that on.
    Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
    • Score: -1011
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 15, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
    Haven't chimed in since this started, so...

Katamari Damacy Reroll - Yeah...I don't think I like this game very much. I just don't like how it controls, and the camera's always in the way. Played a few levels, maybe I'll go back to it, but right now just...meh.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - This is and isn't my first Yakuza game, as I recently finished Judgment, but this is really clicking with me. I'm in Chapter 12 (of 15, apparently), and I'm just digging these characters. The dub is pretty good, too. It's MUCH better than Judgment's dub. 

I wish the "random" fights weren't so frequent, though, and that getting the high-level gear didn't cost so much money. I have all the characters' affinities maxed-out, so yes I've done the Property Management Mini-game. I can get money whenever I want it, but it takes forever to get a decent chunk of money for high-end stuff $3,000,000 ever 5 minutes or fast-forwarding through menus or so.
    There was a Signature here. It's gone now.