Author Topic: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 28218 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
I'm just waiting for Luigi Dude to show up in the next day or two and post about how he's completed a whole bunch of older games like the Mega Man series via anniversary collections.

My gaming is unfocused right now. I thought I'd be able to wrap up Clubhouse Games on Switch by now but I just can't beat the computer at Renegade, Reversi, Othello, or whatever else you want to call it. It's the game featured on the cover with two people playing it on the Switch that is shown. Only thing holding me back in that game from completing it. Started playing Jenny Leclue as I have wanted to tackle that for awhile and had it next up in my queue for downloaded Switch games to play. Plus, it's supposed to be short so maybe I have in done in time for the month. Also, started playing Edge on my 3DS. The problem is that I find I want a break from these games after awhile. Like getting through 15 or so Edge levels is enough for one playthrough. After an hour and a half of Jenny Leclue, I'm tired of a text heavy game. Playing a round or two of Super Mario Party's side modes is enough for an hour. And there's still Metroid Prime 3 that I want to get back to but have put off again because of the long slugfest I feel it is going to be. The way things are going, I'll end up beating all these games in the first few day of September just after August ends.

To Skyward Sword's credit, even though I didn't always care for all the tasks and repetition, it is still the type of game that I could play for hours or a whole evening. Other games like visual novels, puzzlers, party, arcade, or even a lot of RPG, I need a break after awhile and can't just keep powering through. I am kind of tempted to get back to XCX after a few months away from it. I could probably wrap up the story if I wanted to do that as I think I'm levelled up enough to get through it quickly and only a couple chapters left. It's just that I would like to save it and keep checking off a bunch of the side quests available to me right now. But that is also a game I was able to just keep playing and not feel the need to stop after awhile. Plus, it would be kind of hilarious to have finished XC:DE for last year's Backlaugust and then beat XCX during this year's Backlaugust. I will just keep beating these super long RPG's each time. What a gamer!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »
Renegade is extremely difficult. The AI is far more ruthless than any other game in the collection.

I watched lots of YouTube tutorials on game strategy, openings. Then 250+ attempts later I managed to beat it. It's possible, but takes time and effort.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2021, 11:32:59 PM »
I've started to resort to that as well. I've never played Renegade before this so it doesn't help that I have no experience or strategy with it. It's been frustrating because I feel I've been getting better. I played one game where I got 3 corners but the AI made those gains worthless and still beat me. So, after seeing the corners as always so valuable and necessary to win now I seem to have to relearn and rethink the strategy I was trying to follow. A couple times I thought things were going well and then it just seemed to all fall apart in the last 5 turns or so as somehow the AI was able to get me to play a bad chip first and use that to crumble the other areas I thought I had set up to control. Maybe I'll finally break through with more perseverance like you were able to but right now there is just no fun in it and just feels like I'm wasting my time getting beat again and again.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »
I have beaten New Pokémon Snap. Much longer than the original and there's still so much more to do! I've seen people report completing the game on HowLongtoBeat clocking in around the 60 hour mark.

Again, feeling like this could be the end of the road for me, I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days and study to catch up on. Maybe I can play FAR: Lone Sails before midnight in on the 31st?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:38:47 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2021, 05:05:36 PM »
It's good to hear that the New Pokemon Snap has that much content. It's on my Wishlist as something I'll likely pick up but did wonder if it might be short.

Good job, well done if that is it for you this month. Don't stress yourself out too much about cramming in another game if you don't have time. Our host hasn't even updated the list of games beat this month in a couple weeks so that's proof right there that no one is taking this too seriously. I myself have had a lot of nights where I just didn't have time to play much or at all because life responsibilities and other tasks I need to get done. I think last year was easier with lockdowns still happening and in effect and there was less happening in the world. Could devote more time to gaming and not have things pile up. Going to try and focus on the stuff I've been mentioning to wrap a bunch of them up this weekend. Probably my last opportunity for some longer gaming sessions this month as well.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
After that last post, I got curious about where things are at this month. Here's what I've seen posted.

5 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap

4 Games Beat Club

Mr. Bungle - Mega Man Zero, Maze Walker, Mighty Switch Force 2, Splatoon 2

3 Games Beat Club

Broodwars - Katamari Damacy Reroll, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Panzer Paladin

2 Games Beat Club

TOPHATANT123 - Astral Chain, Suikoden

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo
Insanolord - Metroid: Samus Returns
Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii
Pokepal148 - Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep

7 participants so far (although others have mentioned trying to take part like Insanolord with Axiom Verge) and 17 games beat this month. I don't think we are going to reach last year's high of 44 at this point unless some other forum members have yet to chime in and can add to the number. However, 22 games would be the half of last year's total. That's 5 more games needed from where we are so I think that's doable. I know I'm close to finishing a couple games (Super Mario Party and Jenny LeClue). Can we go further than that? Could we suddenly pull off a gaming miracle and hit 30?!

Last year, RABicle finished the most games at 17. Luigi Dude had 15 and I was able to take down 14. Doesn't look like anyone will be hitting double digits this month though with how things are going. Will RAB take the lead again this year or is Mr. Bungle going to catch and surpass him?

EDIT: Added Insanolord's achievement to the list.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:05:34 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
I should be in the 1 game club since I beat Samus Returns.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2021, 01:04:42 AM »
Well, why didn't you say something sooner? Are you ashamed of doing so?  ???

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »
After that last post, I got curious about where things are at this month. Here's what I've seen posted.

5 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap

4 Games Beat Club

3 Games Beat Club

2 Games Beat Club

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo
Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii

7 participants so far (although others have mentioned trying to take part like Insanolord with Axiom Verge) and 17 games beat this month. I don't think we are going to reach last year's high of 44 at this point unless some other forum members have yet to chime in and can add to the number. However, 22 games would be the half of last year's total. That's 5 more games needed from where we are so I think that's doable. I know I'm close to finishing a couple games (Super Mario Party and Jenny LeClue). Can we go further than that? Could we suddenly pull off a gaming miracle and hit 30?!

Last year, RABicle finished the most games at 17. Luigi Dude had 15 and I was able to take down 14. Doesn't look like anyone will be hitting double digits this month though with how things are going. Will RAB take the lead again this year or is Mr. Bungle going to catch and surpass him?

EDIT: Added Insanolord's achievement to the list.

Well, we may be behind last year's totals, but from what I've seen of Negative World's Forums, we are still well ahead of them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2021, 02:06:07 AM »
I just checked in on that and they are at 17 games right now so we ain't that far ahead.

What is far more shocking is the forum traitor in our midst. Mop it up has chosen that lot over us!  :o  :'(  >:(  Even worse, she's practically carrying that forum to keep things close with her 7 beaten games. (Pokepal has posted his one Chibi-Robo accomplishment both here and there so it washes out). She could be top dog on the NWR forums as well with her current seven game record. If she had chosen NWR instead of NW for who gets to benefit from her gaming skill then it wouldn't even be a competition again this year. May have to change her username from Mop it up to Double-Crossing it up.  :P Is there a way we can trade pokepal148 to NW and keep Mop it up on our side?  8)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2021, 02:12:29 AM »
I also see that one of the games NW has listed as beaten by one of their forum members is the first part of The Great Ace Attorney. Mop it up said early in this thread she's lenient and considers anything not released this month as acceptable. Pokepal, on the other hand, won't allow that game here because he won't accept anything released in July or August this year. He's bringing us down with his incredibly strict rules!! He's also a member of the NW forums which makes me think this whole thing is an inside job and elaborate plot so that they can find some way to tip the results in their favor. The fix is in!!   ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2021, 03:18:42 AM »
Finally beat the Amazing CPU in Renegade by a narrow margin of 33 - 31 but it counts! Now all that's left is the Impossible CPU and it's been another round of getting my butt-kicked by the darn CPU. Actually had the thing get me into a spot where I couldn't make a move and it just slowly turned over all my pieces until I had none left. I've done a bit better since by not allowing that to happen again but I'm not sure I'll be able to take it down before the month is over. So close and yet so far!  :'(  :P

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2021, 05:07:32 AM »
I feel I'm coming to the end of FAR: Lone Sails. It's an interesting enough game but I'm not sure what the sequel will do.

Update:
I have finished it.

I think I’m retiring for now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:34:08 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
Alright, the 1 Game Club lost its luster once Insanolord joined it (ZING! Still got it!) so I'm moving on up to the 2 Game Club having now beat Edge 3DS. Got to the credits at least but I know I'll be playing it a bit more to do the bonus levels. Not really a speedrun player so I don't have much interest in trying achieve S+ ranks. There's nothing to gain by doing that aside from bragging rights it would seem.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2021, 06:41:25 PM »
Super Mario Party is now beat. I got the five gemstones and unlocked the credits there.

I booted up Metroid Prime 3 and beat Omega Ridley but got worn out by the Dark Samus battle. Took awhile just to get to it. The Phaaze planet portion took a few tries. Did the boss fight three times and best I did was get Dark Samus down to about a quarter of health left before losing on that third fight. Getting there. Unfortunately, I was afraid quitting would mean I'd have to do the Phaaze portion again and I see that is the case. Setting this to the side again.

Let's switch back to Jenny Leclue and see if I can beat that for now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2021, 11:40:17 PM »
Alright. Jenny Leclue Detectivu is done. Well, pretty much done. Wrapped up story and credits. However, despite trying to be thorough in my playthrough, I'm missing 4 pictures for the gallery. Not that they really matter but if there is a guide to show me where to find them then I'll wrap that little bit up in a couple days and complete the game. Since it's just about beating games this month, I'll move on for now.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2021, 12:33:53 AM »
I don't like this

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »
Oh, it gets better. Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics was also finished by me last night. All games mastered. After posting about Jenny Leclue, I thought I'd give that Renegade another shot in the hopes of getting lucky. After getting another couple loses trying to follow the strategies and online advice I'd read about on this game, I decided to start doing the wrong moves instead since it seemed like I was forcing the CPU to do a bunch of those and it was still winning. Hilariously, it seemed to be working a bit as one game I played had the screen flash a message of the "CPU is thinking" which I loved seeing in Chess and Shogi because you knew you were giving it a hard time. I played a longer game of that as I took back some moves and tried a different one here and there because I thought I could have been on the right path by doing that. Yet in the end, I still lost that game.

Then I thought maybe I should just have the CPU play itself to see what kind of opening moves / strategy it has. You can select who is first of second for the game. So, I watched the CPU make the first move as the black player then ended it and started a new game in which I made that move with black and then watched what the CPU did to counter in the white position. End the game, start a new one switching side and the CPU made the same first move as black, I then copied what it did as white and watched where it placed the next black piece. To my surprise, the CPU never made different moves. It always opened with the same spot for black and white always countered the same way. I just memorized the pattern of moves switching back and forth to learn the next one. Eventually there was a point when the black side took a corner. When I swapped positions and then copied out the pattern as black to get that corner, there were just a few moves left to make and I thought I might be able to close out the game on my own at that point as I could get another corner and sure enough I was able to wrap it up for the win.

Basically, I learned how to beat the Switch CPU at Renegade every time. I'm thinking I should post this result and discovery somewhere to help all those that want to beat it and move on.

If I could have finished Metroid Prime 3 yesterday, it would have been a grand day of gaming conclusions.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
Here's where the month currently stands based on this weekend's postings:

6 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap, FAR: Lone Sails

5 Games Beat Club

Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii, Edge 3DS, Super Mario Party, Jenny LeClue Detectivu, Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics,

4 Games Beat Club

3 Games Beat Club

2 Games Beat Club

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo

Total Games so far: 23

Looks like I've got the 5 Game Beat Club all to myself now. I know RAB is worried about my taking down a bunch of games but I wonder if he should be more nervous about Mr. Bungle. He started the month off strong finishing four game and has since gone radio silent. What has he been up to?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
Yeah well after returning to my studies I just score 100% in a quiz.
It's only worth 4% of my overall mark though and I'm still 2 weeks behind somehow.

But still! I beat that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »
Now that's a real achievement!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »
Nothing to really report on the gaming front. I was wondering about any other titles I might be able to squeeze in to possibly top RABicle. On my Backloggery account, I had noted that I lost the save data file for Mario Kart: Double Dash. Having played a lot of that back in the 00 decade, I was thinking maybe I could quickly get through the Cups and add it to the list. When I booted up the game, I was amazed to find that I still had the save data after all. I was actually quite happy about that since there are few records set in the game from my brother and even some we set together as a team. It was one of the last games we still played regularly as he sort of drifted away from console gaming. That was a pleasant surprise. Even though I won't be able to count the game, I'm really happy about seeing I was wrong about losing the data.

I also decided to record my discovery of how to beat the Renegade CPU in Clubhouse Games. I thought it best to do it now while I still had the pattern memorized before I forgot it. I even turned the whole thing into a Pietriots article so that felt like a big accomplishment for the month as well. There's been a bunch of times I've thought about doing some article or topic for the site. Sometimes, I even started writing it up before running out of steam and not finishing it. Been a long time since I posted anything there so it felt good to do something to try and justify my existence as part of the team. That said, the whole thing probably ate up 2 - 3 hours which I could have used to try and get another game in.

I've started to turn completing Metroid Prime 3 as a bit of a saga for the month and I know I'm close to beating it. It would seem to be the logical choice to play and add to the list of games I've finished this month. However, I get the feeling it may take me a few hours to actually get through it and it feels like something better suited for a Saturday afternoon where I can spend the time needed to overcome that last challenge. Thus, I don't think it will happen in this month. With that off the table, not sure there's anything really left for me to tackle in time.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days
So you don't get paid to play video games   :D
Seriously, I love this phrasing and will not refer to my jobby job as my "paid obligations"

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2021, 11:05:41 PM »
Looks like I've got the 5 Game Beat Club all to myself now. I know RAB is worried about my taking down a bunch of games but I wonder if he should be more nervous about Mr. Bungle. He started the month off strong finishing four game and has since gone radio silent. What has he been up to?

A whole lot of paid obligations  ;). I did manage to finish one more though. You can add Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams to the list. I played it on Wii U. I switched to the pro-controller about half-way through as the game-pad is only used for off-tv play. I only collected all the gems in a third of the levels and probably won't go back for more, rather replay on the harder difficulty. It has its moments and when it's good I was really into it. The levels are really long but they are sometimes very well designed. My favorite aspect of the game is by far the dual cross-fading soundtrack. There are two versions of every song and when you switch between the sisters the song switches ends up sounding really cool.

I have also been playing A Link to the Past and some Mega Man games but I was not going to count replays.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2021, 12:43:44 AM »
I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days
So you don't get paid to play video games   :D
Seriously, I love this phrasing and will not refer to my jobby job as my "paid obligations"
See if I ever get a secure, regular job, I will refer to that as a jobby job. My "paid obligations" are bullshit I have to endure from time to time in return for money. These include, sitting on the board of my alma mater and following up recalcitrant census responses in my suburb.

Anyway, no secret last minute games, so lets count back the month with mini reviews and estimates on how much I played.
Burnout Paradise Remastered
I think I actually bought this around about the start of or middle the month, whenever it most recently went on sale and just pretty much ploughed through it. It's really fun and I guess I owned but never played much of the original release? I played a lot of Burnout 3 Takedown though. Anyway fun arcade racers, they don't make em like this anymore, probably put about 15 hours into it, all this month.

Fire Emblem Heroes
So I had been fucking around with this game throughout my winter/the game's summer collecting various waifus in bikinis. Backlaugust convinced me to penetrate the rest of the game it to get my numbers up. After a while grinding away though it gets a bit tiring so I just found the game's auto-play function (yes really) and just let it masturbate play itself. The game is divided up into 5 "books" which each tell a story starring the original characters of Fire Emblem Heroes. I had been mostly avoiding this story but thought I'd give it a chance with Book III and IV in the spirit of the month. No. The story is awful, this is a paper bag job. Just hide their face, skip the dialogue and keep pushing, or let it autoplay as it turns out. I don't have any reasonable estimate about how much I have played this game, or rather if my phone was on while the game was running.

Orwell
You're employed by a nation's security agency as a foreign national to give their security forces out of context clippings from the internet, social media and eventually the hacked devices of their citizens to frame people for resisting the government. It's pretty fun, very story driven but you can choose to mislead or exaggerate a threat to the authorities. 6 hours playtime, most of which I did while half paying attention to my online Zoom training for this census job I'm doing.

The Longing
So this is the uh highly experimental game that came out on Switch this year where you are asked to wake a king after 400 days. As you explore the cave and make your home more comfortable you can accelerate time, which is how my 400 days that began in April ended in August. The switch record 15 hours of play of which only 2 or 3 would've been this month.

New Pokemon Snap
It's Pokemon Snap, you know it, we all love it. I had about 4-5 hours of playtime to go to finish it off this month. My total playtime reads 14:42 as of right now.

FAR: Lone Sails
It's a bit bland really. One of those keep a vehicle running games with some puzzle platforming. If you're in the mood I suppose it could be engrossing but it all felt a bit easy and lacking in ambition to me. Took about 3 hours, I finished it the same afternoon I started it.

The final game that I probably played as much this month as the rest of these combined, maybe, almost was Cities Skylines. I got back into this in a big way in June/July and had to uninstall it to regain some control of my life on the 13th of August. On my Backloggery I set myself the goal of unlocking monuments to "beat" the game, this was achieved just before August began so I won't include it. I'm now aiming to get all 111 achievements. Currently 79 down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:45:21 AM by RABicle »