Author Topic: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 28218 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« on: July 31, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »
Backlaugust: The Official Negative World Nintendo World Report Month for Decimating Backlogs!â„¢ is back again for more action! So start looking through your backlog and get started!

Here are the "rules":

Games can be on any system, not just Nintendo systems. I know we're a Nintendo fan site, but most everyone here is a multi-console owner. So play a game on any system you want.

Let us know what you're playing. Mostly just so we can cheer each other on.

Play games you already own. A lot of people tend to buy a game then not play it, or play it for a significant amount of time and then put it down. This is what we're aiming for. Games that launch in August don't count.

Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

When is a game done? That's up to you! Mark a game off your backlog when you've seen the ending or end credits, or once you've seen enough of the game in a game without a "proper ending" (like an arcade-type game). You don't have to do or get everything unless you want to.

Finished games will be posted in the next post. Because everyone likes to see their accomplishments recognized. Just post when you're done and I'll try to update daily.

Last year we cleared a whopping 44 games and handily outclassed those fake gamers at Negative World we were competing against. Let's try to clear even more games this year!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 08:14:37 PM »
Here's something a little extra I can do since I'm not running the same event on Negative World and with proper forum software this took literal seconds to set up.

Games Completed:
  • Mega Man Zero -Mr. Bungle
  • Maze Walker -Mr. Bungle
  • Mighty Switch Force 2 -Mr. Bungle

Look at what I can do on a proper Video Game Forum. Eat your heart out Zero!!!

:moonface:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:29:03 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:32:51 AM »
Once I finish up my current review game, which should be soon, my big goal is to tackle two sets of classics: Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mass Effect Legendary Edition, completing at least the first game of each of those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
Last year we cleared a whopping 44 games and handily outclassed those fake gamers at Negative World we were competing against.

Wooo!! Best thing about last year's Backlaugust!

I was wondering if we scared off Negative World after last year but I see Mop It Up started a thread there so it's just that you are not doing it for both communities.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 03:53:27 PM »
Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes. Until you've actually played and beat it to your satisfaction then it is part of your backlog. Of course, I do get the idea of using the month to perhaps motivate a person to tackle some of those games that have been in the backlog longer but anything you haven't beat or completed in your backlog is valid. As well, I finally started playing Skyward Sword Wii last month after having had it for like 8 or 9 years and not getting around to it. That's what I'm going to keep playing into this month and focusing on beating and completing. Just because I started it a couple weeks ago, I'm not going to set it aside now for a month when it is still a valid entry as something I can complete in my backlog. I guess what I'm saying pokepal is that...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »
The only new game I plan on playing this month is Hades, which is an old game but will be newly-released on PS4/5, so I doubt it counts.

Until then, I plan on playing either Katamari Damacy Reroll or Yakuza: Like a Dragon, both of which are in my backlog. Will probably pick them up between Hades runs, too.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes. Until you've actually played and beat it to your satisfaction then it is part of your backlog. Of course, I do get the idea of using the month to perhaps motivate a person to tackle some of those games that have been in the backlog longer but anything you haven't beat or completed in your backlog is valid. As well, I finally started playing Skyward Sword Wii last month after having had it for like 8 or 9 years and not getting around to it. That's what I'm going to keep playing into this month and focusing on beating and completing. Just because I started it a couple weeks ago, I'm not going to set it aside now for a month when it is still a valid entry as something I can complete in my backlog. I guess what I'm saying pokepal is that...

The point is moreso to avoid new releases as I see it.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »
It's that time again already?

I've got some in mind. Suikoden I played a good amount of then put down earlier this year. Bravely Default 2 and Astral Chain would also be good candidates.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »

While I sort of get the intent from this, I don't really follow it. To me, any game is part of the backlog whether you've had it for 10 years or 10 minutes...
Just to make sure things are clear, the opening post wasn't written by Poképal148 nor me, it's copy/pasted from the person who used to host Backlaugust on NegativeWorld. With that said, they're not really "rules" more like "guidelines" which is why "rules" was in quotes. Myself, I'm lenient and pretty much accept anything that wasn't released / bought during August regardless of any other circumstance.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »
I'll go anything not released in August or July of this year personally.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
Well, then, I guess I shouldn't have bought The Great Ace Attorney. Guess I'll throw it into the backlog for now.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:19:07 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »
I am traveling right now so I just have my 3DS's. I am working on Mega Man Zero (from the DS collection) now and then plan to start Maze Walker (from the Sega 3D classics collection). Hopefully that is the start of a productive month. I am getting No More Heroes 3 this month but thankfully that is at the end of the month so I will just try to clear my plate before then. Also, thanks for hosting this Pokepal!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »
I had plans to try to work through the Prime Trilogy but I'm waiting on a new pair of glasses because my current pair is getting repaired. Instead, I'm starting up Mother 3 on GBA again. I've had a few different runs of this game that fell through for various reasons but this time we're doing it for real! I'm playing it on my 3DS through totally legit means and I'm hoping to finally knock this off of my wall of shame!

Beyond that, I have access to the japan only DS Chibi Robo with a translation patch which would be good to finish off and there is also Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland I can work through.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:41:46 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
Great to see this initiative return. I don't have anything lined up currently, and haven't gamed in a while. Maybe this'll be enough impetus to pick something from the pile of shame and try it!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
Backlaugust came a month too late. Last month, I suddenly got down business and completed about six games. (Technically, one was at the end of June.) I was thinking about how I should be finishing these next month but I'd rather complete a game in the moment then walk away and doing it later.

But enough about the past. Just finished the 6th dungeon in Skyward Sword last night so that game is progressing along. Pokepal said this thread was to cheer each other on so I don't know why he isn't here to keep encouraging me to play more Skyward Sword.... However, even with his absence, this game has become an addiction for me in the past few days. When I stop playing it, my mind wanders back to the game and the next few things I want to progress with. As a result, I've slacked on life tasks and have dishes piling up in my kitchen, laundry still unfinished, my car is unwashed and I've had a few late nights of gaming resulting in my being quite tired from less sleep. Don't play Skyward Sword, people! It will ruin your life! (That's something pokepal148 can quote me on.  ;) )

Late Saturday night, I got curious about what Nintendo Power had to say on the game so I pulled out the issue where they reviewed SS. Surprisingly, they list all the dungeons in the game and reviewed them also so that's how I learned there were seven altogether. I thought the game may have had eight like TP. I ended up going through dungeon's four, five and six from Friday to Sunday.

It does feel like I'm getting close to the end and yet I know from what others have posted on Discord that there are still a few things I need to do yet. I feel like I've pretty much explored the Faron Woods region thoroughly and there's nothing left to find there. Same with Lanayru although there seems to be an unshaded section on the map still so there's possible a bit more to that area. And there's still a bit in Eldin I need to finish getting through. Doesn't seem like there's much left to fix or solve in Skyloft although the latest equipment I got from this sixth dungeon does have a couple uses there that I can think of. Most of my equipment is fully upgraded but I do need to get some more tumbleweeds for a couple pieces. Tumbleweeds! Who knew that'd be the biggest pain for upgrading equipment?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »
Tumbleweeds! Who knew that'd be the biggest pain for upgrading equipment?
There are spots in the Lanayru desert where they spawn frequently and you can farm them.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
I finished the following up on my vacation:
  • Mega Man Zero - This is a GBA game that was re-released as part of a DS collection that I played on a 3DS, thus spanning 3 generations of Nintendo handhelds. It is also available on Switch. This collection has been on my backlog for years so it was good to finally finish one game of the four. It is quite different from the main game and some differences I liked e.g., different weapons, upgradable weapons, elemental weaknesses; while other differences I did not care for: time limits on some stages, letter grades for performances, inability to revisit previous levels.
  • Maze Walker - Also known as Maze Hunter 3D, this is a Sega Master system game that is included on the Sega 3D Classics collection for 3DS. I don't think you can buy it a la carte. The 3D works really well and the game is pretty short (took me about 3 hours). Pretty impressive for an 8-bit game. If anybody has the SegaScope 3-D glasses I would be interested to hear about how well they work.
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2 - The sequel to WayForward's puzzle action platformer where you can control switch blocks that move in and out of the screen. Another short title (under 5 hours for me). I managed to rescue all the Hooligan sisters and USBs (Ugly Secret Babies). I got the par time for the first incident but after struggling the with second I gave up on that. If you liked the first game then you should enjoy this one as well.

I am back home now and started up Giana Sisters on Wii U. I am also working on the Octo Canyon campaign in Splatoon 2. Should have those wrapped up before the month is over.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
Chibi Robo clean sweep is cute, charming, and totally addictive. I'm at the point where the family just got a shower which doesn't mean much because shockingly there isn't much information out there on a game that was only released in Japan. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how well these touch heavy games run in pixel perfect mode on a new 3DS. Considering how small the display area is on the bottom screen compared to the DS lite you'd expect that to somehow screw with your touch screen inputs but it never does.

I am still working through Mother 3 but between how long of a game it is and the fact that it's a bit harder to devote time to idk how much time I'll have to finish it. There are a few ways to run GBA games on a homebrewed 3DS and my normal go-to is through a software emulation option that supports the 3DS's sleep mode option but for Mother 3 I wanted to use hardware emulation so that the input lag from running the game on mGBA doesn't screw up the rhythm based timed hit mechanics.

But because I'm running the game on 3DS in essentially the same way the GBA ambassador games I don't have access to sleep mode beyond the game's built-in option.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:46:32 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
Ok I'm here! Thank you for those who sent me polite reminders that it is in fact August. Time has warped beyond recognition in the last year or 18 months or whatever.

So. I have been doing a comprehensive good job of cataloging my gaming on backloggery. The problem is lately I've been investing a lot of time setting my own challenges in games I had already beaten. For example this week I completed Super Mario Run, on iOS. This is a game I had beaten many many years ago but found myself going back to earlier this year, my game save erased and smashed through all the levels, all the hidden coins, all the bonus levels etc. etc. Also Cities Skylines which I've set myself the goal of getting all achievements by the end of the year. I'm 69 down, 42 to go.

Backlaugust should hopefully give me the chance to break this cycle, smash through a few short games on my backlog and refresh me for this endless city building experience. Also maybe I can structure my distance education round this?

So, a preliminary plan for the remaining two weeks based on what I have readily available.

-Macintosh-
  • The Novelist: According to Steam I bought this in October 2016 alongside World's Dawn (???). I've never played it. It's meant to be 3 hours of feelings. Will schedule a morning sometime next week to beat it. Clear goal is the end credits.
  • Hades: I guess I got this in March but I can't find the purchase on my Steam or Humble purchase histories so I'm not sure how. I played it a fair bit in March but I was very bad at it. I've cleared the second area. Perhaps switching to gamepad control instead of mouse and keyboard will help me. Will take some regular grinding over the next few weeks. I understand this game is huge and has a lot of 'post-game' or endgame content. But I'll mark it clear when I see the credits.
  • Orwell: I bought Orwell in August of 2018. I've never played it. I've heard it's pretty short and can be finished over a couple of playthroughs. Clear target is the credits. The credits have been seen, 22nd of August.
-iOS-
  • Fire Emblem: Heroes I got this when it came out and quickly lost interest because it felt like Fire Emblem with the difficulty turned way down. I because interested again recently while exploring Nintendo's history of mobile offerings and learning of their new thirst trap inspired way of monetising Fire Emblem. So I'm back in it, I've spent a lot of time grinding miscellaneous challenges to acquire orbs which I exchange for volumptuous beauties to battle with. I've spent a lot of time thinking about them. Now that I do have a plethora of heroines to choose from, I'll just focus on ploughing through the main story. I think I'm halfway through Book III. There's currently four and half books of content and they periodically add more, so my clear condition will be reaching the end of the main story content released as of the 31st of August. Main story content cleared 20th of August.

-Switch-
  • Burnout Paradise Remastered: Cleared as of the 19th of August. As in I've obtained a Burnout License and seen the credits. There's a lot more busywork for the 100% completion nd I don't know if that'll ever happen.
  • The Longing: So uh, an interesting one here. Does it count if a semi idle game like The Longing is finished within the month? I'm going to say it does because I initiated conditions within it to speed up time. I can slow it down again if I change those conditions but right now I'm on track to finish the 300 days in about 5 days.. It is over. 25th of August. I did most of the tasks over my 400 days, but not all. I'll "play" this one again one day. Also I checked and my 400 days began in April.
  • FAR: Lone Sails: I guess this game just got a sequel featured in Indie World. Better make a start on the original to see if it's any good. Clear condition is watching the credits. Beaten, 29th if August. A nice enough trip.
  • New Pokémon Snap: Somehow I stopped playing this about halfway through, and now they've extended the game with more courses! I should be able to knock this one over without too much trouble Clear condition will be viewing the credits and logging a score on the new content.Beaten, 27th of August, 10pm or so. Hmm I see here that I said I would log a score on the new content. I have done that on the stuff that unlocked before th end credits, I suppose I could boot it up and play the new levels now though.
  • Game Builder Garage: Maybe including this is a bit of a cop out but I need to at least finish the tutorials. I can justify itself in my mind because it's sorta like baby's first coding and I'm meant to be learning Python for my data analysis degree so it's basically studying right? Clear condition is finishing all the tutorials.
  • Detention: A leftover from last year! I need an evening alone for this one I reckon, so I'll be sure to play it the moment my partner is away for one reason or another. Loneliness is to maximise spookiness. Aim to see the credits.
  • Ring Fit Adventure: I'm including this out of guilt as a leftover from last year. I don't think it's actually possible for me to finish all the story worlds, at a suitable level of difficulty without risking minor injury to my body within the remaining time so my personal goal is to at least make this game fit into something resembling a health routine by the end of the month. I will not submit it as a beaten game though unless I really do see the credits. I'm currently on World 5.
-The Bench-
These uncategorised games were all leftover from last year. Should I begin to close in on the games above I'll look at elevating something from the bench to the field of play.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Disco Elysium
  • Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon

Backlaugust actually helped me structure my time last year really well, I have a similarly free schedule again this year but more of an impetus to not fall behind with my university work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:28:00 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2021, 01:20:15 AM »
Update. Cheesing a slew of achievements, I have uninstalled Cities: Skylines until I have caught ups ith university work and focus on the games I'm meant to be playing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:41:42 AM by RABicle »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2021, 10:01:43 PM »
    • Ring Fit Adventure: I'm including this out of guilt as a leftover from last year. I don't think it's actually possible for me to finish all the story worlds, at a suitable level of difficulty without risking minor injury to my body within the remaining time so my personal goal is to at least make this game fit into something resembling a health routine by the end of the month. I will not submit it as a beaten game though unless I really do see the credits. I'm currently on World 5.

I am on World 12 with no end in sight. Be careful as the game is not meant to be speed-ran. I recommend a half-hour to an hour per day.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 06:24:07 AM »

I am on World 12 with no end in sight. Be careful as the game is not meant to be speed-ran. I recommend a half-hour to an hour per day.
    Yeah hence why my aim is really jsut to make it part of my routine. I looked up how many worlds tehre are in teh game and, yeah, nice, but no end in site.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: August 15, 2021, 12:26:18 AM »
    I started it before this thread came up and I'm a little bit late for the game club, but I'm going to count Metroid: Samus Returns as one off my backlog since I'd never beaten it before.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • Score: 20
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 15, 2021, 01:39:27 PM »
    May as well toss my hat in.

Horizon Chase Turbo: May not 100% World Race by the end of the month(or ever). But I want to at least finish racing on all the regions. Already unlocked Hawaii, but trying to at least get a bronze trophy in the remaining Japan tracks before taking that on.
    Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 15, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
    Haven't chimed in since this started, so...

Katamari Damacy Reroll - Yeah...I don't think I like this game very much. I just don't like how it controls, and the camera's always in the way. Played a few levels, maybe I'll go back to it, but right now just...meh.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - This is and isn't my first Yakuza game, as I recently finished Judgment, but this is really clicking with me. I'm in Chapter 12 (of 15, apparently), and I'm just digging these characters. The dub is pretty good, too. It's MUCH better than Judgment's dub. 

I wish the "random" fights weren't so frequent, though, and that getting the high-level gear didn't cost so much money. I have all the characters' affinities maxed-out, so yes I've done the Property Management Mini-game. I can get money whenever I want it, but it takes forever to get a decent chunk of money for high-end stuff $3,000,000 ever 5 minutes or fast-forwarding through menus or so.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
      • View Profile
      • Games I'm Playing
    « Reply #25 on: August 15, 2021, 11:38:31 PM »
    I have one more to add the list of completed games, Splatoon 2. I figured with over 100 hours spent on multiplayer and Splatoon 3 scheduled for next year, it was time I played through the single player campaign. I think it is called Octo Canyon, at least that is what is says on the menu. I beat each level and found all the Sardinium and Sea Scrolls. It was as good as the campaign in the first game, though the final boss battle was not as epic. It was cool to try out some of the other weapons. I had not used the umbrella or brush before. I also did not realize I should be mashing jump when swimming up a wall. Worth playing if you have the game but I don't think I will buy the DLC single player content. I am about halfway done with Giana Sisters and starting to like it more.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 01:00:11 AM »
    Rolled credits on Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Eeesh, that game's final dungeon + final boss + hour-long epilogue dragged on forever.

I still have a bunch of side stuff and bonus content to do for the Platinum to "officially" get it out of my backlog, but I've beaten the game. That should suffice for this.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
    Inching closer to completing Skyward Sword. Did some FAQ checking on the weekend to find a couple Goddess Cubes I missed and why I was missing my last heart piece. All side quests are wrapped up, all treasure chests should have been found, all equipment upgraded. According to the Sheikah Stone, everything is cleared except for the Sealing Grounds and the last dungeon I've just entered.

Minor spoilers ahead.

To get the Hylian Shield, you need to rescue the Thunder Dragon who then has you fight against previous bosses. There are 9 total boss fights to revisit. When I was doing this mode, I'd fought 8 bosses and could quit for the Shield or keep going for 2,000 rupees. I thought I might as well do the last fight and collect everything. The last fight happened to be the 3rd Imprisoned fight and I almost blew it. I got up to Groose's cart and was hitting A to end his dialogue only to accidently fire myself out of his catapult when it ended. I was so upset thinking I'd just choked on the whole thing right at the end. Fortunately, I was able to get back to the cart and stop the Imprisoned in time. Then I found out that all I won was the 2,000 rupees. I thought the rewards were cumulative and that I'd get everything offered up to that point including the Hylian shield and Piece of Heart that were offered.  >:(  I don't need any more rupees at this point. So, then I had to play through the bosses again and beat 8 for the Shield and then another 4 to get the Piece of Heart. Ugh.  :P

That means I got to fight The Imprisoned 12 times this game. It didn't come up during my run of 4 for the heart piece. That said, it was kind of interesting to go back to these fights and see how easy they were at this point and when you know what to do. Truthfully, the Imprisoned fights were no big deal at this point. They have  an easy pattern / strategy to them. They were all under 3 minutes when doing them again. Same with Girahim. For some reason, I ended up having to fight him back to back each time during the three boss rushes I did. The first time when I beat all nine I didn't even have a shield. So, I just got more aggressive but I had also figured out better sword swinging strategies so I was surprised at how easy and quickly those fights now were. I knew from looking ahead at how much is left in the game I've got one more fight with the dude. Hopefully, it goes as smoothly as these rematches did.

Hoping to be done with this game either today or tomorrow. Pokepal makes a big deal out of Fi but I've had no problem with her. My biggest gripes about the game has been the amount of back tracking and going over the same old ground a bunch of times. I also hate how the game has to relearn all the insects and materials each time you play. While it's sort of been a long time part of the gameplay baked into this brand of games, there just seemed to be a lot of fetch quests and busy work that felt sort of excessive or included for the sake of padding things. For instance, when bringing a basin of water to Eldin to open the sixth dungeon, you can't just warp to the entrance of the dungeon. No, you've got to go up the mountain from the bottom again and defeat enemies for an escort mission. Meanwhile, I just want to get to the point already and get started on the dungeon instead. It's just an artificial reason anyways for having to now do this task. I guess that maybe is what I'm searching for. It just seems or feels like I could see a lot more of the artificiality in this game than in other Zelda titles.

In the first part of the game when getting through the first three dungeons, I was really enjoying the game and got re-enthused by the classic Zelda formula. However, this game wears out its welcome and now gives off a vibe of the formula getting exhausted and running on fumes. It's rather interesting to see how a lot of ideas and concepts in this game were taken over into Breath of the Wild and work so much better there. Justin will love this but playing Skyward Sword just makes me appreciate BotW even more.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: August 17, 2021, 06:37:58 PM »
    I don't think I will buy the DLC single player content.
    For what it might be worth, the DLC is quite different, and is more varied; challenging; and interesting than the original single player mode.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
    I don't think I will buy the DLC single player content.
    For what it might be worth, the DLC is quite different, and is more varied; challenging; and interesting than the original single player mode.

Agreed. The Single-Player Splatoon 2 DLC is the best content in the game IMO. It focuses the experience on small bite-sized chunks that serves the game's mechanics SO much better the main game's drawn-out levels. And it ends with a pretty big bang.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #30 on: August 18, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
    I should probably mention that instead of many of the games I’ve listed, I’ve been playing Burniut Paradise Remastered. Expect to finish it before the week is out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: August 18, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
    Skyward Sword is done and complete. Sure there's Hero Mode but I'll just copy Adrock with the Steve Rogers meme and "No, I don't think I will" when it comes to that. It's not often when I complete a game that I wonder if I should try and sell it off. It's not that I hated the game but rather that I just don't see myself ever replaying it. There are some good parts to the game but there's also a lot of dull stuff to drag it down. One of these days, I'll play Ocarina of Time 3DS to remind myself what that game is like since it's been over 15 years or so since the first time I played it. In my mind, either OoT or SS would be the game I would slot at the bottom when ranking the 3D Zeldas. I'm kinda leaning towards OoT at the bottom but I feel a replay is in order to make a more accurate choice.

Monday, I completed the last dungeon and got all the way up to the warp point to the fight against Demise. Yesterday, I completed that fight. It took two tries. I got through the first phase on my first try and then got my butt kicked on the second phase. I only had a couple fairies with me which gave me six hearts when revived but with Demise dealing two heart damage on his blows, they didn't provide much cushion against his attacks as I was trying to figure out what to do next. So, on the next attempt it was back to Skyloft to get a heart potion and upgrade it a couple times and then back to the fight. Good thing I did that as I needed it. Thought I did better on the first phase of the fight on the second go around. Lost way less health and felt I did it quicker. But the second phase was rough. I liked the idea of the villain also using a Skyward Strike of their own and using the hero's tactic against them. It definitely amped up the difficulty. The learning curve was just in the timing. I needed to get my sword raised to power it up also and Demise was having none of that. He always seemed to be rushing me or shooting out his sword beam just as I almost got powered up knocking me down and preventing it. A couple times, I did get him knocked down and the game gave the alert of doing a finishing blow but by the time I got over to him to do it he was getting back up on his feet. A bit demoralizing as it felt like I was letting victory slip away. However, I'd finally clued into a method for getting me sword charged and avoid his blow. I got in the fatal blow on the third time he went down with about 5 or 6 hearts left. I'd used up the heart potion and fairies at that point so victory came just in time.

After it was all over, I reloaded the save file and went to Skyloft to check the Sheikah Stone which confirmed I'd cleared everything. I watched the hint about the Demise fight and the tip that was shown was what I had clued in about on timing near the end so it confirmed I had been on the right track at the end of that fight. I don't put much thought into the Zelda timeline because its pretty inconsequential to enjoying the Zelda games. I know the fact that OoT creates multiple branches in the timeline hasn't been the most popular choice. However, after wrapping up the game, I feel this title would have created more multiple branches in the timeline than OoT. Maybe it does and Nintendo just has said anything about it yet.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: August 18, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
    So, with Skyward Sword cleared, the question now is what's next? Looking at my backloggery account, I've had something that I've wanted to finish but have put off for a few years now. Finishing the Hypermode difficulty on Metroid Prime 3.

I've put it off because other stuff came along and as time elapsed from when I last played it, I felt it might be kind of tough to jump back into and relearn the controls since I left off at the final Ridley fight. Still, since I completed Skyward Sword which was a Wii-mote and nunchuk heavy game then perhaps it might not be so bad to try it again now. I loaded up the game and took a few moments going through the buttons and controls. Reading up on some of the weapons and how they work. Did some quick aiming practice and then went to battle. I actually got over halfway through the battle or at least Ridley's health was brought down about over half by the time I failed which was a lot better than I expected to do jumping into this game after so much time gone by. By the end, I was getting pretty familiar with his attack patterns and how to avoid them. In fact, at one point I went from 2 energy tanks and some change to 5 energy tanks and some change as got better at dodging the attacks and collecting some health from destroying his fireballs. Ultimately, getting knocked around a lot at the start and losing a lot of health when first re-acquainting myself with this battle did me in. Still, it is not often I lose a boss battle and feel good about how it went done. I think it ended up lasting like 20 minutes though so I know it's going to be a long slugfest which is part of why I walked away from it the first time. At least I have enthusiasm for playing through it right now although I know I've still got the hardest fight ahead of me yet with Dark Samus and I wonder how much of a pain that will be.

MP3 released in 2007. 14 years ago. Wowser. It may be next year that MP4 actually gets released making 15 years between entries.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: August 19, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »
    Instead of continuing with the game club but sticking with the overall theme, I've decided my next project for this is to finally finish Axiom Verge now that the sequel's out. I've owned this on like 4 different platforms but never got very far into any of them, and now I'm going to change that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #34 on: August 19, 2021, 12:11:18 AM »
    I have beaten Burnout Paradise Remastered
    I will update my first post accordingly.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: August 19, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
    Not been making much progress on the old backlog.

Almost the end of August, but I've managed to finish one: Astral Chain.

The combat is excellent. There's room for criticism with some of the other parts of the game, but at the end of the day it's a Platinum game. The combat is what you're here for. It's deep and complex, but it slowly introduces you to all of the moves and techniques so you don't get overwhelmed. The controls are clever as they allow you to pull off a variety of different attacks without requiring you to remember and execute a string of button inputs.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 03:09:47 AM »
    Almost the end of August, but I've managed to finish one: Astral Chain.

Congrats!

Funny enough, I was at Game Stop yesterday looking for Astral Chain & they didn't have it. Which reminds me, I probably should move Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance & Nier: Automata up the "to finish" list, but eh. Maybe another time.

As for Horizon Chase Turbo just crossed the last finish line of World Tour. The map is 79% complete so not sure if I'll move on to another game or go back & get some more 1st place finishes.
    Mission...complete?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:53 AM »
    Fire Emblem Heroes has been beaten. I’ll update my list in the morning, for now it feels like a tumour has been removed.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »
    I'm making strong progress in Chibi Robo: Clean Sweep. There isn't much information out on this game because it is an incredibly niche import title but based on how the main storyline is playing out I do believe I'm at the final act. It's a damn fun game either way though.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: August 20, 2021, 06:10:59 PM »
    Anyone here have Hardcore Mecha? I'm wondering if they ever patched the slow-down & crashing issues with the Switch version of that game. I did finish what I think was the final boss, but the game crashed during the big escape part of the stage afterwards, so nothing was saved.

Got frustrated & haven't gone back to the game since.
    Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: August 21, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
    Well, my Limited Run Collector's Edition of Panzer Paladin finally arrived a few days ago, so it got me in the mood to FINALLY try and finish that game. I've been playing it off & on for a year now, putting it down when I got tired of its rather punishing difficulty. When last I'd played, I'd gotten up to the Wiley's Castle equivalent. Well, I've finally rolled credits on it. That final boss went down absurdly easily considering the insane crap you have to go through just to GET to him.

I do really like the game (hence the CE with the statues & soundtrack CDs), but man I wish the stages themselves were better balanced and paced. I really question why a "Life" system was even needed in this game, considering Shovel Knight didn't use one.  I've played Mega Man games easier than this thing on Normal. Killer soundtrack, though.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #41 on: August 22, 2021, 08:11:15 AM »
    I have finished Orwell. Fun game, worth a replay or three to figure out all the achievements. I played through most of it while sitting through some bullshit training for a new job I'm doing. The training was delivered by Zoom so I just chimed in once in a a while as I played.

Can you guys feel my momentum though? That's 3 dames in like 4 days. What game will fall next?
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:54:56 AM by RABicle »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: August 22, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
    Another one in the bag: Suikoden.

I really like this game, it's solid. The best thing it's got going for it is that it's nice and short. It's from before side quests were invented, meaning I was able to finish it in 26 hours. It's got a simple battle system that never gets too hard, while providing some challenge during bosses. Plus some fun mini games that are integrated into the story.

The story itself is refreshingly straight forward compared to other JRPGs, and well executed. You have a clear goal and it's a game world that managed to capture my imagination. It packs a lot into its relatively short run time.

The USP of Suikoden is its number of characters. There are over 100 party members and I think they pulled this off rather well. Everyone levels up insanely quickly so you don't have to worry about characters falling behind. Even the characters you never use are integrated into the battle system at certain points, so characters you don't plan on actively using are useful in the grand scheme of things. I've also got to say as well that the art style is lovely.

My main criticisms would be quality of life stuff. The menus are slow and clunky and your character can't run inside dungeons for some reason. Swapping out equipment is a chore that disincentivses you from changing your party too often. The game thankfully allows you to teleport wherever you want, but in terms of quality of life the series has a way to go.

Looking forward to playing the next one at some point in the future.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
    Can you guys feel my momentum though? That's 3 dames in like 4 days.

You're a real ladykiller, RAB!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: August 23, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
    As for me, after declaring I was going to try finish MP3, I ended up being rather busy the next couple nights and not really able to play much of anything. I did a bit of travelling on the weekend as I went out of town to visit some people. (I like to keep things vague.) The main takeaway is that I ended up playing some of Super Mario Party again. While playing it, I was surprised to see I still had characters that hadn't been unlocked yet. There was also another mode that hadn't been unlocked because I has not played all the minigames. Finally got around to doing some River Survival and Sound Stage to try them and get those minigames. Ended up getting the Gem for Sound Stage. Later I did a round of Partner Party on my own and got the last minigame I needed which opened up Challenge mode. The end result is that I unlocked two characters with another two to go. I guess I'll keep plugging away at this game now to get the other three gems I need and unlock the last couple characters as well. These other modes are still kind of fun even as single player so this has now become my new obsession to finish for Backlaugust.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #45 on: August 24, 2021, 02:28:04 AM »

Goddamn I can't correct the typo now!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: August 24, 2021, 06:09:43 PM »
    Whew, some of y'all are flying through these!
    I've basically made zero progress in anything yet, with just a few days left in the month. Where did August go?!

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #47 on: August 25, 2021, 02:13:59 AM »
    With the final week looming down I'm looking at my diary and It's going to be tough to get much more done. I can probably schedule in The Novelist and I think at this point if I simply turn on The Longing I'll have finished it. Actually I'll check that now, brb

alright I'm back. Yep the countdown has finished, I just need to leave my room and wake up the King. I have no idea if this actually is the end though. I kinda suspect that the King is dead. Here we go I'm leaving my room.
    Oh dear…
    The Longing has ended.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: August 25, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »

Goddamn I can't correct the typo now!

That's the power of the forums, baby!  ;D

Well, if it bugs you that much, I have the power to make it all go away. Let me know if you do and I can work my magic.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: August 25, 2021, 01:33:01 PM »
    Whew, some of y'all are flying through these!
    I've basically made zero progress in anything yet, with just a few days left in the month. Where did August go?!
    God, remember when I thought I could beat a long ass RPG? Now I can barely scrape enough time to finish a Chibi Robo game.
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:32:11 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: August 25, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
    I'm just waiting for Luigi Dude to show up in the next day or two and post about how he's completed a whole bunch of older games like the Mega Man series via anniversary collections.

My gaming is unfocused right now. I thought I'd be able to wrap up Clubhouse Games on Switch by now but I just can't beat the computer at Renegade, Reversi, Othello, or whatever else you want to call it. It's the game featured on the cover with two people playing it on the Switch that is shown. Only thing holding me back in that game from completing it. Started playing Jenny Leclue as I have wanted to tackle that for awhile and had it next up in my queue for downloaded Switch games to play. Plus, it's supposed to be short so maybe I have in done in time for the month. Also, started playing Edge on my 3DS. The problem is that I find I want a break from these games after awhile. Like getting through 15 or so Edge levels is enough for one playthrough. After an hour and a half of Jenny Leclue, I'm tired of a text heavy game. Playing a round or two of Super Mario Party's side modes is enough for an hour. And there's still Metroid Prime 3 that I want to get back to but have put off again because of the long slugfest I feel it is going to be. The way things are going, I'll end up beating all these games in the first few day of September just after August ends.

To Skyward Sword's credit, even though I didn't always care for all the tasks and repetition, it is still the type of game that I could play for hours or a whole evening. Other games like visual novels, puzzlers, party, arcade, or even a lot of RPG, I need a break after awhile and can't just keep powering through. I am kind of tempted to get back to XCX after a few months away from it. I could probably wrap up the story if I wanted to do that as I think I'm levelled up enough to get through it quickly and only a couple chapters left. It's just that I would like to save it and keep checking off a bunch of the side quests available to me right now. But that is also a game I was able to just keep playing and not feel the need to stop after awhile. Plus, it would be kind of hilarious to have finished XC:DE for last year's Backlaugust and then beat XCX during this year's Backlaugust. I will just keep beating these super long RPG's each time. What a gamer!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: August 25, 2021, 09:51:15 PM »
    Renegade is extremely difficult. The AI is far more ruthless than any other game in the collection.

I watched lots of YouTube tutorials on game strategy, openings. Then 250+ attempts later I managed to beat it. It's possible, but takes time and effort.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: August 25, 2021, 11:32:59 PM »
    I've started to resort to that as well. I've never played Renegade before this so it doesn't help that I have no experience or strategy with it. It's been frustrating because I feel I've been getting better. I played one game where I got 3 corners but the AI made those gains worthless and still beat me. So, after seeing the corners as always so valuable and necessary to win now I seem to have to relearn and rethink the strategy I was trying to follow. A couple times I thought things were going well and then it just seemed to all fall apart in the last 5 turns or so as somehow the AI was able to get me to play a bad chip first and use that to crumble the other areas I thought I had set up to control. Maybe I'll finally break through with more perseverance like you were able to but right now there is just no fun in it and just feels like I'm wasting my time getting beat again and again.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #53 on: August 27, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »
    I have beaten New Pokémon Snap. Much longer than the original and there's still so much more to do! I've seen people report completing the game on HowLongtoBeat clocking in around the 60 hour mark.

Again, feeling like this could be the end of the road for me, I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days and study to catch up on. Maybe I can play FAR: Lone Sails before midnight in on the 31st?
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:38:47 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: August 27, 2021, 05:05:36 PM »
    It's good to hear that the New Pokemon Snap has that much content. It's on my Wishlist as something I'll likely pick up but did wonder if it might be short.

Good job, well done if that is it for you this month. Don't stress yourself out too much about cramming in another game if you don't have time. Our host hasn't even updated the list of games beat this month in a couple weeks so that's proof right there that no one is taking this too seriously. I myself have had a lot of nights where I just didn't have time to play much or at all because life responsibilities and other tasks I need to get done. I think last year was easier with lockdowns still happening and in effect and there was less happening in the world. Could devote more time to gaming and not have things pile up. Going to try and focus on the stuff I've been mentioning to wrap a bunch of them up this weekend. Probably my last opportunity for some longer gaming sessions this month as well.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: August 27, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
    After that last post, I got curious about where things are at this month. Here's what I've seen posted.

5 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap

4 Games Beat Club

Mr. Bungle - Mega Man Zero, Maze Walker, Mighty Switch Force 2, Splatoon 2

3 Games Beat Club

Broodwars - Katamari Damacy Reroll, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Panzer Paladin

2 Games Beat Club

TOPHATANT123 - Astral Chain, Suikoden

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo
    Insanolord - Metroid: Samus Returns
    Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii
    Pokepal148 - Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep

7 participants so far (although others have mentioned trying to take part like Insanolord with Axiom Verge) and 17 games beat this month. I don't think we are going to reach last year's high of 44 at this point unless some other forum members have yet to chime in and can add to the number. However, 22 games would be the half of last year's total. That's 5 more games needed from where we are so I think that's doable. I know I'm close to finishing a couple games (Super Mario Party and Jenny LeClue). Can we go further than that? Could we suddenly pull off a gaming miracle and hit 30?!

Last year, RABicle finished the most games at 17. Luigi Dude had 15 and I was able to take down 14. Doesn't look like anyone will be hitting double digits this month though with how things are going. Will RAB take the lead again this year or is Mr. Bungle going to catch and surpass him?

EDIT: Added Insanolord's achievement to the list.
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:05:34 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: August 27, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
    I should be in the 1 game club since I beat Samus Returns.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: August 28, 2021, 01:04:42 AM »
    Well, why didn't you say something sooner? Are you ashamed of doing so?  ???

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: August 28, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »
    After that last post, I got curious about where things are at this month. Here's what I've seen posted.

5 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap

4 Games Beat Club

3 Games Beat Club

2 Games Beat Club

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo
    Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii

7 participants so far (although others have mentioned trying to take part like Insanolord with Axiom Verge) and 17 games beat this month. I don't think we are going to reach last year's high of 44 at this point unless some other forum members have yet to chime in and can add to the number. However, 22 games would be the half of last year's total. That's 5 more games needed from where we are so I think that's doable. I know I'm close to finishing a couple games (Super Mario Party and Jenny LeClue). Can we go further than that? Could we suddenly pull off a gaming miracle and hit 30?!

Last year, RABicle finished the most games at 17. Luigi Dude had 15 and I was able to take down 14. Doesn't look like anyone will be hitting double digits this month though with how things are going. Will RAB take the lead again this year or is Mr. Bungle going to catch and surpass him?

EDIT: Added Insanolord's achievement to the list.

Well, we may be behind last year's totals, but from what I've seen of Negative World's Forums, we are still well ahead of them.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: August 29, 2021, 02:06:07 AM »
    I just checked in on that and they are at 17 games right now so we ain't that far ahead.

What is far more shocking is the forum traitor in our midst. Mop it up has chosen that lot over us!  :o  :'(  >:(  Even worse, she's practically carrying that forum to keep things close with her 7 beaten games. (Pokepal has posted his one Chibi-Robo accomplishment both here and there so it washes out). She could be top dog on the NWR forums as well with her current seven game record. If she had chosen NWR instead of NW for who gets to benefit from her gaming skill then it wouldn't even be a competition again this year. May have to change her username from Mop it up to Double-Crossing it up.  :P Is there a way we can trade pokepal148 to NW and keep Mop it up on our side?  8)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: August 29, 2021, 02:12:29 AM »
    I also see that one of the games NW has listed as beaten by one of their forum members is the first part of The Great Ace Attorney. Mop it up said early in this thread she's lenient and considers anything not released this month as acceptable. Pokepal, on the other hand, won't allow that game here because he won't accept anything released in July or August this year. He's bringing us down with his incredibly strict rules!! He's also a member of the NW forums which makes me think this whole thing is an inside job and elaborate plot so that they can find some way to tip the results in their favor. The fix is in!!   ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: August 29, 2021, 03:18:42 AM »
    Finally beat the Amazing CPU in Renegade by a narrow margin of 33 - 31 but it counts! Now all that's left is the Impossible CPU and it's been another round of getting my butt-kicked by the darn CPU. Actually had the thing get me into a spot where I couldn't make a move and it just slowly turned over all my pieces until I had none left. I've done a bit better since by not allowing that to happen again but I'm not sure I'll be able to take it down before the month is over. So close and yet so far!  :'(  :P

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #62 on: August 29, 2021, 05:07:32 AM »
    I feel I'm coming to the end of FAR: Lone Sails. It's an interesting enough game but I'm not sure what the sequel will do.

Update:
    I have finished it.

I think I’m retiring for now.
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:34:08 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: August 29, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
    Alright, the 1 Game Club lost its luster once Insanolord joined it (ZING! Still got it!) so I'm moving on up to the 2 Game Club having now beat Edge 3DS. Got to the credits at least but I know I'll be playing it a bit more to do the bonus levels. Not really a speedrun player so I don't have much interest in trying achieve S+ ranks. There's nothing to gain by doing that aside from bragging rights it would seem.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: August 29, 2021, 06:41:25 PM »
    Super Mario Party is now beat. I got the five gemstones and unlocked the credits there.

I booted up Metroid Prime 3 and beat Omega Ridley but got worn out by the Dark Samus battle. Took awhile just to get to it. The Phaaze planet portion took a few tries. Did the boss fight three times and best I did was get Dark Samus down to about a quarter of health left before losing on that third fight. Getting there. Unfortunately, I was afraid quitting would mean I'd have to do the Phaaze portion again and I see that is the case. Setting this to the side again.

Let's switch back to Jenny Leclue and see if I can beat that for now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: August 29, 2021, 11:40:17 PM »
    Alright. Jenny Leclue Detectivu is done. Well, pretty much done. Wrapped up story and credits. However, despite trying to be thorough in my playthrough, I'm missing 4 pictures for the gallery. Not that they really matter but if there is a guide to show me where to find them then I'll wrap that little bit up in a couple days and complete the game. Since it's just about beating games this month, I'll move on for now.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #66 on: August 30, 2021, 12:33:53 AM »
    I don't like this

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: August 30, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »
    Oh, it gets better. Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics was also finished by me last night. All games mastered. After posting about Jenny Leclue, I thought I'd give that Renegade another shot in the hopes of getting lucky. After getting another couple loses trying to follow the strategies and online advice I'd read about on this game, I decided to start doing the wrong moves instead since it seemed like I was forcing the CPU to do a bunch of those and it was still winning. Hilariously, it seemed to be working a bit as one game I played had the screen flash a message of the "CPU is thinking" which I loved seeing in Chess and Shogi because you knew you were giving it a hard time. I played a longer game of that as I took back some moves and tried a different one here and there because I thought I could have been on the right path by doing that. Yet in the end, I still lost that game.

Then I thought maybe I should just have the CPU play itself to see what kind of opening moves / strategy it has. You can select who is first of second for the game. So, I watched the CPU make the first move as the black player then ended it and started a new game in which I made that move with black and then watched what the CPU did to counter in the white position. End the game, start a new one switching side and the CPU made the same first move as black, I then copied what it did as white and watched where it placed the next black piece. To my surprise, the CPU never made different moves. It always opened with the same spot for black and white always countered the same way. I just memorized the pattern of moves switching back and forth to learn the next one. Eventually there was a point when the black side took a corner. When I swapped positions and then copied out the pattern as black to get that corner, there were just a few moves left to make and I thought I might be able to close out the game on my own at that point as I could get another corner and sure enough I was able to wrap it up for the win.

Basically, I learned how to beat the Switch CPU at Renegade every time. I'm thinking I should post this result and discovery somewhere to help all those that want to beat it and move on.

If I could have finished Metroid Prime 3 yesterday, it would have been a grand day of gaming conclusions.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: August 30, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
    Here's where the month currently stands based on this weekend's postings:

6 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap, FAR: Lone Sails

5 Games Beat Club

Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii, Edge 3DS, Super Mario Party, Jenny LeClue Detectivu, Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics,

4 Games Beat Club

3 Games Beat Club

2 Games Beat Club

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo

Total Games so far: 23

Looks like I've got the 5 Game Beat Club all to myself now. I know RAB is worried about my taking down a bunch of games but I wonder if he should be more nervous about Mr. Bungle. He started the month off strong finishing four game and has since gone radio silent. What has he been up to?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #69 on: August 30, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
    Yeah well after returning to my studies I just score 100% in a quiz.
    It's only worth 4% of my overall mark though and I'm still 2 weeks behind somehow.

But still! I beat that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: August 30, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »
    Now that's a real achievement!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: August 31, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »
    Nothing to really report on the gaming front. I was wondering about any other titles I might be able to squeeze in to possibly top RABicle. On my Backloggery account, I had noted that I lost the save data file for Mario Kart: Double Dash. Having played a lot of that back in the 00 decade, I was thinking maybe I could quickly get through the Cups and add it to the list. When I booted up the game, I was amazed to find that I still had the save data after all. I was actually quite happy about that since there are few records set in the game from my brother and even some we set together as a team. It was one of the last games we still played regularly as he sort of drifted away from console gaming. That was a pleasant surprise. Even though I won't be able to count the game, I'm really happy about seeing I was wrong about losing the data.

I also decided to record my discovery of how to beat the Renegade CPU in Clubhouse Games. I thought it best to do it now while I still had the pattern memorized before I forgot it. I even turned the whole thing into a Pietriots article so that felt like a big accomplishment for the month as well. There's been a bunch of times I've thought about doing some article or topic for the site. Sometimes, I even started writing it up before running out of steam and not finishing it. Been a long time since I posted anything there so it felt good to do something to try and justify my existence as part of the team. That said, the whole thing probably ate up 2 - 3 hours which I could have used to try and get another game in.

I've started to turn completing Metroid Prime 3 as a bit of a saga for the month and I know I'm close to beating it. It would seem to be the logical choice to play and add to the list of games I've finished this month. However, I get the feeling it may take me a few hours to actually get through it and it feels like something better suited for a Saturday afternoon where I can spend the time needed to overcome that last challenge. Thus, I don't think it will happen in this month. With that off the table, not sure there's anything really left for me to tackle in time.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
      • View Profile
      • Games I'm Playing
    « Reply #72 on: August 31, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
    I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days
    So you don't get paid to play video games   :D
    Seriously, I love this phrasing and will not refer to my jobby job as my "paid obligations"

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
      • View Profile
      • Games I'm Playing
    « Reply #73 on: August 31, 2021, 11:05:41 PM »
    Looks like I've got the 5 Game Beat Club all to myself now. I know RAB is worried about my taking down a bunch of games but I wonder if he should be more nervous about Mr. Bungle. He started the month off strong finishing four game and has since gone radio silent. What has he been up to?

A whole lot of paid obligations  ;). I did manage to finish one more though. You can add Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams to the list. I played it on Wii U. I switched to the pro-controller about half-way through as the game-pad is only used for off-tv play. I only collected all the gems in a third of the levels and probably won't go back for more, rather replay on the harder difficulty. It has its moments and when it's good I was really into it. The levels are really long but they are sometimes very well designed. My favorite aspect of the game is by far the dual cross-fading soundtrack. There are two versions of every song and when you switch between the sisters the song switches ends up sounding really cool.

I have also been playing A Link to the Past and some Mega Man games but I was not going to count replays.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #74 on: September 01, 2021, 12:43:44 AM »
    I have a bunch of paid obligations over the next few days
    So you don't get paid to play video games   :D
    Seriously, I love this phrasing and will not refer to my jobby job as my "paid obligations"
    See if I ever get a secure, regular job, I will refer to that as a jobby job. My "paid obligations" are bullshit I have to endure from time to time in return for money. These include, sitting on the board of my alma mater and following up recalcitrant census responses in my suburb.

Anyway, no secret last minute games, so lets count back the month with mini reviews and estimates on how much I played.
    Burnout Paradise Remastered
    I think I actually bought this around about the start of or middle the month, whenever it most recently went on sale and just pretty much ploughed through it. It's really fun and I guess I owned but never played much of the original release? I played a lot of Burnout 3 Takedown though. Anyway fun arcade racers, they don't make em like this anymore, probably put about 15 hours into it, all this month.

Fire Emblem Heroes
    So I had been fucking around with this game throughout my winter/the game's summer collecting various waifus in bikinis. Backlaugust convinced me to penetrate the rest of the game it to get my numbers up. After a while grinding away though it gets a bit tiring so I just found the game's auto-play function (yes really) and just let it masturbate play itself. The game is divided up into 5 "books" which each tell a story starring the original characters of Fire Emblem Heroes. I had been mostly avoiding this story but thought I'd give it a chance with Book III and IV in the spirit of the month. No. The story is awful, this is a paper bag job. Just hide their face, skip the dialogue and keep pushing, or let it autoplay as it turns out. I don't have any reasonable estimate about how much I have played this game, or rather if my phone was on while the game was running.

Orwell
    You're employed by a nation's security agency as a foreign national to give their security forces out of context clippings from the internet, social media and eventually the hacked devices of their citizens to frame people for resisting the government. It's pretty fun, very story driven but you can choose to mislead or exaggerate a threat to the authorities. 6 hours playtime, most of which I did while half paying attention to my online Zoom training for this census job I'm doing.

The Longing
    So this is the uh highly experimental game that came out on Switch this year where you are asked to wake a king after 400 days. As you explore the cave and make your home more comfortable you can accelerate time, which is how my 400 days that began in April ended in August. The switch record 15 hours of play of which only 2 or 3 would've been this month.

New Pokemon Snap
    It's Pokemon Snap, you know it, we all love it. I had about 4-5 hours of playtime to go to finish it off this month. My total playtime reads 14:42 as of right now.

FAR: Lone Sails
    It's a bit bland really. One of those keep a vehicle running games with some puzzle platforming. If you're in the mood I suppose it could be engrossing but it all felt a bit easy and lacking in ambition to me. Took about 3 hours, I finished it the same afternoon I started it.

The final game that I probably played as much this month as the rest of these combined, maybe, almost was Cities Skylines. I got back into this in a big way in June/July and had to uninstall it to regain some control of my life on the 13th of August. On my Backloggery I set myself the goal of unlocking monuments to "beat" the game, this was achieved just before August began so I won't include it. I'm now aiming to get all 111 achievements. Currently 79 down.
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:45:21 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #75 on: September 01, 2021, 01:47:44 AM »
    Well, I do have a couple buzzer beaters to add to my total.

Hello Kitty Roller Rescue for GameCube has been beaten and Rayman Raving Rabbids for the Wii has also been beat. Not sure it was worth pushing myself to focus on this the past four days as I've let all kinds of things pile up now like dishes, laundry, harassing my internet provider to give me a better deal.

In a little bit of hilarity, I also booted up Super Bomberman R for Switch to see if I could possibly get it done tonight also. I started the game on August 31st last year and got through the first couple planets. Here I am returning to it a year later but I won't be able to get it done. Perhaps next year will finally be the time I can complete it. Too bad. Perhaps I should have gotten to it instead of Metroid Prime 3 this month.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: September 01, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
    Here's where the month currently stands:

7 Games Beat Club

Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii, Edge 3DS, Super Mario Party, Jenny LeClue Detectivu, Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue

6 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap, FAR: Lone Sails

5 Games Beat Club

Mr. Bungle - Mega Man Zero, Maze Walker, Mighty Switch Force 2, Splatoon 2, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

4 Games Beat Club

Broodwars - Katamari Damacy Reroll, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Panzer Paladin, Tormented Souls

2 Games Beat Club

Luigi Dude - Cosmic Star Heroine, Onimusha Remastered

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo

Total Games so far: 29

If anyone else on the forums has some games they beat for August to add to the total then please try and post about them in the next couple days. By end of Friday, I'm moving on. Four games away from the 30 mark. You'd think we'd have had other users beat a game or two that they could get added to this list.
    « Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:13:40 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: September 01, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
    For those curious, here's what I've played for Backlaugust:

Anodyne
    I bought this when it was on sale for 99 cents because it appeared to be inspired by The Legend of Zelda games. The 8-bit style feels more in line with Game Boy games than NES for a few reasons, including that characters are made up of few pixels and the tile grids are fairly small, sometimes causing rooms to feel a little cramped. The adventure is more bite-sized too, as throughout it the boy only ever gains two tools, leaving most progression gated by keys and switches. There's some decent exploration as the game opens up, but combat and puzzles usually remain pretty simple. The story and world lean towards the more drab and abstract side. I know there's symbolism in here, but as far as I can figure out, there's no cohesive whole or meaning to the plot else than what's already implied by the game's title: a drug-induced trip, fighting manifestations of the kid's issues, thoughts, and feelings.

Overall, simple isn't bad, so it was decent enough for the price. I noticed there's a sequel though, and I'm not sure I'd play it unless it offers more variety.
    Scored: 6.5/10

Bouncy Bob
    I'm pretty sure I got this for 1 cent, and it shows. It's like a terrible version of Joust, and Joust is already not very good. I'm guessing it's a port of a mobile game, as the control is simply using the A button to jump. Holding it not only jumps farther, but brings up an arrow that tilts back and fourth as its means of moving left or right, making for an annoyingly little amount of control. It's a high-score game where the goal is to defeat as many enemies as possible in one life, and achieving a certain score will unlock the next awful arena, each one likely inspired by someone's vision of purgatory. Unfortunately, it was the final game I played so I rounded out Backlaugust with a real stinker that's easily the worst of the bunch, but c'est la vie.
    Scored: 2/10

EQQO
    Ummmm this might be another freebie or maybe it was a few cents. It's a short little point-'n-click style adventure game about a blind boy and a god egg, as told by his mother who can (as the player's perspective) direct him and interact with the environment. The puzzles mainly involve hitting switches and figuring how to get the boy carrying the egg to the next area / room, but they remain pretty simple throughout and never get very challenging. There are sometimes shadow creatures that try to swipe the egg during the times when the boy needs to slip through gates by himself to open the path forward, providing a bit of tension to more quickly get the switches in order and throwing things at them to delay them. The story itself is decent and the voice acting of the narration is well done. Overall, not a bad little game, but not particularly satisfying as a point-'n-click goes.
    Scored: 6.5/10

Journey of the Broken Circle
    I'm pretty sure I got this one for free from owning one of the publisher's other games. It's a simple little platformer about a circle searching for its missing piece, which as you've probably guessed, is an obvious allegory for relationships. The characters met along the way are placed into the slot and have an ability, which helps add some variety to the levels, but it's never very challenging else when the physics get a bit wonky. The story it tells is decent and is probably relatable to a lot of people, but I felt the writing is a bit too matter-of-fact and didn't have enough subtlety. The graphics are too minimalistic for my tastes. It isn't a bad game, but not really my kinda thing.
    Scored: 5/10

Trine
    I got the collection on Switch back in a holiday sale, but never got around to them until now. We tackled it in 3-player co-op, which appears to be the way these games are meant to be played. It's certainly a hoot in that setting, figuring out the best ways to cooperate which often just means not getting into each other's way. As a physics-based platformer there's plenty of ways for things to go hilariously wrong, though I could see this game being a bit of a pain in single player with some of the (unintended?) weird physics quirks. The abilities and level design feel largely rudimentary, so my hope is that the sequels expanded on these aspects. The graphics are pretty good and nicely-detailed, though it feels a little drab for an enchanted magical fantasy. We may play through one or more of the other games before the end of August, as well.
    Scored: 7.5/10

Tumblestone
    I remember being interested in this when I heard about it way back on the Wii U, but never pulled the trigger until it hit $1.99 on Switch. Unlike most match-3 puzzlers, this one isn't action-based, with instead having the goal of clearing the play field of all blocks; it's a nice change of pace. The story mode is surprising lengthy, I wonder if too much, though it does introduce a new obstacle or gameplay wrinkle in each world to shake things up and try to keep them fresh. The story itself is simple and mostly nonsensical, but was sometimes worth a laugh just from being incredibly stupid. I noticed that the Wii U version had online play, but the Switch one doesn't; seems like an odd exclusion, but I doubt I would have tried it anyway.
    Scored: 8/10

The Way Remastered
    This is made as an homage to PC side-scrolling adventure games of the 90s. With the "remastered" in the title, I actually wondered if it were an old PC game brought back until I looked it up after finishing it, which I s'pose is high praise for what they attempted to achieve. It takes a while for the protagonist to gain some abilities, but once the game reaches that point it provides some nice puzzle challenges. I felt like it ended right before everything came together for one last elaborate puzzle that utilized all abilities to their fullest, though. The platforming sections can quickly be a pain due to the stiff controls and the man's weak knees, being unable to survive more than a five foot drop, but fortunately there are frequent checkpoints. The story is simple but decent. Overall, it seems like a good throwback, but probably not really my kind of thing.
    Scored: 6/10

Yoku's Island Express
    Its mix of platforming and pinball mechanics works pretty well, and I like that it focuses mainly on exploration and discovery without having to worry about survival. The world feels thoughtfully designed and there's some wonderful and varied artwork in the various different sections of the island. With that said, the game shows some cracks at times during backtracking, since certain sections can be a pain to go through multiple times. Playing out the main adventure was definitely the best experience, while tracking down all collectibles wasn't always fun, and I ended with looking up how to nab the last few goodies. Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I can't help but wonder if I would have preferred it as a linear level-based platformer...
    Scored: 8.5/10

Yooka-Laylee
    This was one of the first games I had started playing on Xbox Game Pass, so it was before I was familiar with the way it handles games leaving the service. I had collected around half of the game's goodies, and luckily it was in this month's second batch of Gold games, so I decided to pick up where I left off and bring it home.

With all of the complaints and negative reactions I'd seen for this title, I went into it with pretty low expectations, which probably ended up working out for me. Overall, I ended up enjoying the game as a throwback N64 platformer, and while I probably wouldn't argue against the first world being the best and most-realised, I felt the second and third ones were quite good as well. The fourth and fifth start to fall apart a bit, particularly the fifth where it's tough to keep track of everything without notable landmarks, but they still have their moments. There's a nice variety of activities throughout the worlds to keep things interesting, utilising many of the duo's moves in one form or another. The best part was when first starting out in a world, as I could explore it in any direction and there was lots to discover and see. Things did start to feel a bit of a pain when it came down to there being only a few collectibles left in a huge world, with no real indication of where to look; the first world is the only one I completed on me own, the rest I looked up a video to locate the last few goodies. However, I can't think of a solution to this problem which doesn't ruin the spirit of the game.

With that said, I don't think the game lives up to the Banjo-Kazooie pedigree, and it wasn't unrealistic for people to expect as much given it's many of the same people. It feels more like an evolution of Banjo-Tooie, which I personally loved but I know most BK fans didn't, which I actually find kind of surprising. I would have thought the devs would also know what fans like about the original over the sequel, and instead of these huge sprawling worlds of YL, they'd design smaller compact worlds like those in BK. The game doesn't have the same charm either; there aren't enough unique visual landmarks in most worlds and characters are very stiff and non-expressive. I guess this is the problem with the devs not continuing to make platformers in the years between BK and now, and didn't hone their craft.

I s'pose that leaves me with some mixed feelings; I feel it failed as a Banjo-Kazooie successor, but still succeeds as an N64 throwback platformer in general. Since I knew it was going to do the former, I could still enjoy it as the latter.
    Scored: 8.5/10

I was thinking about it, and perhaps I'll also count Quake as a completed game as well. Technically I've played a version of this game on the Nintendo 64, but I've never played the PC version, which is the newest release. We not only played the main game in co-op, but also the included expansions as well, though I won't be counting those as separate games. What a wild 'n crazy game, these classic shooters are certainly something else!
    Scored: 9/10

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: September 01, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »
    Wait, just a minute here!! There's something very suspicious about this list!

Myself, I'm lenient and pretty much accept anything that wasn't released / bought during August regardless of any other circumstance.

I was thinking about it, and perhaps I'll also count Quake as a completed game as well. Technically I've played a version of this game on the Nintendo 64, but I've never played the PC version, which is the newest release. We not only played the main game in co-op, but also the included expansions as well, though I won't be counting those as separate games. What a wild 'n crazy game, these classic shooters are certainly something else!
    Scored: 9/10

The Quake Remaster/Rerelease just happened in the later half of August! Look how quickly the "rules" are abandoned when those in charge want to inflate their game count for the month. Oh, the humanity hypocrisy!  ;D  ;)

Congrats on reaching double digits and getting through ten games. Now that the month is over, I'm regretting that I let the opportunity to get to ten and double digits slip away myself. If I hadn't taken my time with Skyward Sword and a bunch of evenings where I didn't do any gaming in the first half of the month then I think can think of a few more titles I could have probably squeezed in time for. I got more serious about it over the last couple weeks and started wondering if I could pull off the feat of hitting that mark before Sept. 1 but I run out of time. If I didn't have the mindset of thinking I was only going to have one or two games for the month because of Zelda then maybe I wouldn't have been so lackadaisical during the first half of the month in my gaming. I shall remember this for next year.

Although for next year, maybe it should Negative World vs Nintendo World Report vs Pietriots because RAB and I are currently responsible for half the games beat this year and we were responsible for like 60% of last year's total. PIETRIOTS are the true MVP's of Backlaugust.  8)  ;)
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:50:15 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: September 01, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
    You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

Perhaps you, RABicle, and me should form our own super team next year, just majorly crush all these schlubs. Maybe see if we can get Luigi Dude going again too, then we'd really be nigh unbeatable!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: September 01, 2021, 06:46:05 PM »
    You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

Perhaps you, RABicle, and me should form our own super team next year, just majorly crush all these schlubs. Maybe see if we can get Luigi Dude going again too, then we'd really be nigh unbeatable!

Hahaha, YES! We'll take on the whole internet and win!!!!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
    Even if we don't count Quake, you'd still have to come up with excuses to disqualify two other games, and even then, that'd just be a tie!

Yeah, people have made that same argument before to count August new releases, and it does make a certain amount of sense. But I don't make the rules, I just, uh... something... with them.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: September 01, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

Well, if that's how you want to roll, then add Tormented Souls to my count, a game that came out last Friday and I beat over the weekend. :P

I actually started playing Deadly Premonition 2 in the final few days of August, but there was no way in hell I was going to wrap that by the end of August. Likewise, I put a few days' worth of progress into the PS5 version of Hades in August, but I haven't had a successful run yet.
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:14:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: September 01, 2021, 11:53:37 PM »
    I'm just waiting for Luigi Dude to show up in the next day or two and post about how he's completed a whole bunch of older games like the Mega Man series via anniversary collections.

I actually played both Mega Man Classic Collections back in April, of course they wouldn't have counted anyway since I've already beaten all 10 of those games.  But your predictions isn't too far from what I tried to do.  My plan was to play R-Type 1+2 on the R-Type Dimensions for Switch and then play all the Gradius game on the Konami Arcade Collection.  R-Type 1 in particular I've been trying to beat since I first played the TurboGrafx version on the Wii Virtual Console back in 2007 but I not been able too.

Sadly, I've spent the last 2 weeks on just R-Type 1 and still haven't been able to beat it.  Now I could just the Infinite setting on Dimensions which would respawn my ship after I die so I could just brute force my way, but that's the easy way out.  I need to beat it on the Classic setting for me to finally be satisfied.  Now yesterday I almost came close, but made a stupid mistake on the second to last level and was too tired to continue.

For the entire month I did complete two games earlier in it that were on my Switch backlog.

Cosmic Star Heroine

Was a fun indie RPG that's a nice call back to 16-bit games like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star.  The battle system was pretty engaging and I liked the setting.  The story was pretty generic and the character not very deep, but for an RPG that took less then 20 hours to 100%, I didn't mind.  Of course I think the developers ran out money toward the end since the last planet you visit is noticeably shorter then the previous ones.  The gameplay also kind of falls about since they give you 2 ridiculously over powered characters, and the main characters gains some abilities that are completely broken around this time as well.  Outside of the optional Hard dungeon, (which I really enjoyed since it was fun figuring out how to make the most overpowered attacks I could to beat the super strong enemies), the rest was a cakewalk after this point.  Still, as a throwback to older RPG's, the overall game was pretty fun.

Onimusha Remastered

I remember back in High School a friend of mine telling me this series was like Resident Evil except with Demons, and now I see why.  I tried to like the old school Resident Evil games back then but just couldn't because of the tank controls.  That's one of the reasons I loved Resident Evil 4 so much because the changes to the controls finally made the series playable to me.  The first Onimusha for the PS2 had those pre-RE4 tank controls, which I didn't like but the Remaster that I played on Switch does let you use analog controls so the game was instantly more playable.  Of course the problem is the analog controls completely broke the difficulty so the overall game ended up being pretty easy.  Still I enjoyed the setting and atmosphere so it was an overall enjoyable experience.

Of course what the **** was up with that water puzzle?  The remaster could have at least put a checkpoint right before that, or at the very least give the ability to skip cutscenes.  Almost stopped playing because of how BS that part of the game was.

So overall not a lot of backlog cleared, but part of that is because I was playing Blaster Master Zero 3 at the beginning of the month which was a new game, and my Captain Ahab obsession with finally completely R-Type 1 and total failure to do so during these last 2 weeks.  Of course trying to beat R-Type 1 has caused me to finally change my sleep cycle to get more sleep at night since anything less then 8 hours and I can't even get halfway through since my reaction time is so dulled.  Hopefully if I can make myself physically healthier, I'll finally beat this game and will be able to beat other harder games a lot quicker as well.
    I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: September 02, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »
    I've added Luigi Dude and Broodwar's games to the list. (Although I'm actually not the one running this so I guess pokepal148 can still make the call of whether he thinks Broodwar's last entry of Tormented Souls counts.  :-\ )

One away from 30! (Although if we include Mop it up's ten games then we are 1 away from 40. This whole thing can be very confusing. :o )

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: September 02, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
    Of course trying to beat R-Type 1 has caused me to finally change my sleep cycle to get more sleep at night since anything less then 8 hours and I can't even get halfway through since my reaction time is so dulled.  Hopefully if I can make myself physically healthier, I'll finally beat this game and will be able to beat other harder games a lot quicker as well.

Looks like Pokemon Sleep missed its opportunity and R-Type 1 has taken its place for helping gamers get the sleep they need. Thanks for nothing, Game Freak! Hope you have sweet dreams IN HELL, Pikachu!  >:(

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »
    Wow, congrats to everyone, that's a huge pile beaten in one month!
    Got nothing to contribute myself, all I wound up doing this month is downloading the WarioWare demo and not playing it.

Tumblestone
    I remember being interested in this when I heard about it way back on the Wii U, but never pulled the trigger until it hit $1.99 on Switch. Unlike most match-3 puzzlers, this one isn't action-based, with instead having the goal of clearing the play field of all blocks; it's a nice change of pace. The story mode is surprising lengthy, I wonder if too much, though it does introduce a new obstacle or gameplay wrinkle in each world to shake things up and try to keep them fresh. The story itself is simple and mostly nonsensical, but was sometimes worth a laugh just from being incredibly stupid. I noticed that the Wii U version had online play, but the Switch one doesn't; seems like an odd exclusion, but I doubt I would have tried it anyway.
    Scored: 8/10

This is a pretty good game, yeah! I never finished it because it went on way too long like you say. Personally I found the writing deeply grating too, but the core gameplay is very solid. At a price like that I'd recommend it, it was like $25 on Wii U back in the day.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
      • View Profile
      • Games I'm Playing
    « Reply #87 on: September 02, 2021, 07:43:22 PM »
    This is a pretty good game, yeah! I never finished it because it went on way too long like you say. Personally I found the writing deeply grating too, but the core gameplay is very solid. At a price like that I'd recommend it, it was like $25 on Wii U back in the day.

Sadly I paid $25 for it. It came out in the middle of one of those famous Wii U droughts. I liked the gameplay and story mode but hit a wall about halfway through. I just couldn't see how to solve the puzzles without going through move by move and then reversing everything, which just wasn't fun. Maybe I just not smrt enough.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: September 08, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
    I guess we're going to stay one short of 30 (or 40 with Mop it up's playing of both sides). So close yet so far. Anyways, spent last weekend clearing up a couple things. Used a guide to quickly get the final pictures needed to complete the gallery in Jenny LeClue. I got 100% on the story mode for Rayman Raving Rabbids. There is the score mode but not worth it and it is broken anyways. Found out that Ubisoft programmed it so that you can't actually complete it or unlock all the bonuses. Such high quality Wii efforts from 3rd parties. Got a few outfits and videos to still unlock in Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue. Need to get an S rank on all the levels for one outfit. Might not normally bother with it but they don't seem to be that difficult to get since this is pretty much a game for young kids. :P  ;D  When Backlaugust ends then it is Sweep-up September as I try and wrap up a few objectives I set to the side in order to just beat a game.

However, the big one that didn't even count in Backlaugust is still Metroid Prime 3. Booted up MP3 Monday to try and finally finish it. First, you gotta go through a bunch of rooms on the planet Phaaze to get to the boss. Then I fought Dark Samus around 5 or 6 times and learned the patterns, took it down. Next up the Aurora Unit. Hadn't faced it in years and forgot it's patterns and attack. Ended up losing to it. Not a big deal, I figure. I'll just have to restart facing it and have good health again. Nope. I have to get through Dark Samus again.
    Ugh.

Part of the difficulty in Hypermode is making you start over from the Dark Samus fight. Anyways, I do take down Dark Samus again. In fact, it felt easier. Then I take down the Aurora Unit but that's just it's first form. I then have to fight it's floating head and lose to that. Back to the Dark Samus fight.

At that point, my hands are starting to ache. Gripping the Wiimote and nunchuck too tight, I guess. Take a moment to stretch and give them a rest. Look up a video of the Head boss fight on YouTube to remind myself of what to do and what its attacks are. Unpause the game and go at it. Once again, take down Dark Samus. That boss no longer seems challenging. Not sure if the difficulty is lessoned on refacing it after beating it once but get through it again pretty quickly. Take my time with the Aurora Unit to get healing items from it that can be gained during the fight. Take it down. Back to the floating head. Have about 75% of my health still available. Pause to stretch my hands again. Go through its pattern of attacks in my head to be ready for when I get back at it. Resume game. Proceed to choke bad as I get hit constantly by a bunch of its attacks and lose again. Not today, I guess.

Shut off the game which I was hesitant to do since this will mean going through the planet Phaaze again. I think it had already been around two and a half hours and my hands were feeling it. (Don't really have that issue with most games. Last I can think of is MK7 on 3DS for longer sessions.) Heaven forbid a player could save just almost before the boss fight like the first two Prime games. So close to wrapping that thing up but thanks for making such a long three stage boss Retro! Great fun. Hate being right there at the bloody end and so close to ending it but having to redo things all over again. At least I've been making progress each time I've been playing it so I'm sure it's doable. I just hate the amount of time it's taking.