Poll

Which of these eShop releases are worth a purchase?

Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch!
0 (0%)
Zombie Slayer Diox
0 (0%)
Arc Style: Soccer 3D
0 (0%)
Ketzal's CorridorsĀ 
0 (0%)
Block Factory
0 (0%)
Bird Mania 3D
0 (0%)
Bomb Monkey
0 (0%)
Sudoku by Nikoli
0 (0%)
Johnny Kung Fu
0 (0%)
Slitherlink by Nikoli
0 (0%)
Kakuro by Nikoli
1 (5.3%)
Gotta Play 'em All!
0 (0%)
Colors! 3D
1 (5.3%)
Marvel Pinball 3D
1 (5.3%)
All These Games Suck
2 (10.5%)
Art of Balance Touch!
2 (10.5%)
Zen Pinball 3D
2 (10.5%)
Sakurai Samurai: Art of the Sword
1 (5.3%)
Samurai Sword Destiny
1 (5.3%)
Order Up!!
1 (5.3%)
Mad Dog McCree
1 (5.3%)
Mutant Mudds
4 (21.1%)
Dillon's Rolling Western
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 27, 2020, 02:39:09 PM

Author Topic: Best of the 3DS eShop: 2012 Releases (Part 1)  (Read 59627 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Best of the 3DS eShop: 2012 Releases (Part 1)
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
The Usual Preamble

With the 3DS pretty much winding down and a lack of upcoming releases we have now arrived at the life cycle of a system where users start looking back in the catalogue of available games that were released and that they missed or forgot about when games were coming out regularly. For myself, I know that I didn't always pay as close attention to the eShop and its releases as I did physical releases. And while I have accumulated a few titles from it, I feel there are probably more I should take advantage of especially since Nintendo hasn't created any other source to purchase many of these titles.

While I could I slowly go through each title and try to track down reviews, I'd rather get the opinions of the NWR Forum users whose gaming tastes I trust a bit more. Plus, I figured this would be a chance to engage in our favorite practice of reminiscing about games we loved playing (and arguing about the worth / rank of a game. ;)

The main goal is simple. If you have personally played any of these titles, post which ones you have and which ones you highly recommend others should have on their 3DS, which ones might be recommended for Kairon (or a deeper cut for a certain type of fan) and what you think should be skipped. (And sure, even if you haven't played them and have an opinion, I'm not going to argue against you from posting it). I've also included a poll for people to vote on the games being discusses that they think a person should acquire for their 3DS.

What Is Being Discussed?

Carrying on from the structure started last time, I am trying to go through the eShop exclusives in chronological order. I'm currently basing it on the order games were reviewed in Nintendo Power although sometimes they reviewed a game that was delayed and released later. Nintendo's website only goes back to the last months of 2012 when it comes to listing eShop games. Since Nintendo Power ends in 2012, once that overlap occurs, I'll be going by the release dates on Nintendo's website.

There are about 65 games or so that came out for the eShop in 2012 if you are not including VC releases or applications like YouTube. While I could create a mega poll for them all, I'll be dividing up the 2012 releases in 3 parts to let them breath a bit and perhaps bring focus to a few titles that could be overlooked in a large list.

Thus, the list of releases up for discussion this time around is:

Zen Pinball 3D
Mutant Mudds
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Samurai Sword Destiny
Dillon's Rolling Western
Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch!
Zombie Slayer Diox
Arc Style: Soccer 3D
Ketzal's Corridors
Block Factory
Colours! 3D
Art of Balance Touch!
Bird Mania 3D
Bomb Monkey
Marvel Pinball 3D
Order Up!!
Sudoku by Nikoli
Kakuro by Nikoli
Johnny Kung Fu
Mad Dog McCree
Slitherlink by Nikoli

Which games do you think are worthy of being added to one's collection and played? Are there any overlooked gems you might be aware of?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:51:42 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the 3DS eShop: 2012 Releases (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »
Here comes Insanolord to talk about Mutant Mudds......  ;)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »
I have only played this small sub-set of games:
  • Zen Pinball 3D
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Colours! 3D
  • Marvel Pinball 3D

I didn't really care for Mutant Mudds. The level design was so straight forward, and the controls never felt totally comfortable to me. Even though everything about the game was proficient, nothing really jumped out and grabbed my attention... in the end it was totally forgettable, although I know some people feel differently.

The two Pinball games are pretty solid. Zen Studios had limited support for the 3DS, and I wouldn't recommend their Star Wars Pinball option because at least one of the tables within has game-breaking bugs that were reported but never patched. However, the two games listed here both have pretty solid tables that vary in challenge, style, and theme. The physics aren't quite what I'd like but are passable and the gameplay is enjoyable. Anyone who likes digital pinball should find it easy to justify the purchases.

Colours! 3D is a fantastic application, and a nice successor to what was probably the best homebrew application for the original DS console. The ability to create 3D artwork is really cool. Built-in community features and online support are great. Drawing tools are easy to use, and powerful enough that you can have a lot of fun... However, if you don't want to spend time drawing then that's all moot. Your appreciation of this app will depend entirely on how much time you want to spend drawing.

(Also worth noting that there are no art class included with Colours! 3D, although you can replay the drawing process for any downloaded paintings to see how people created their art; if you want actual lessons, then tracking down a copy of Art Academy is the better choice.)

I do own Art of Balance on Wii, and that's a pretty solid puzzle/balance game that can be fun to play. Didn't blow my mind, but was entertaining for a bit. I suspect the 3DS version would be very similar - but even though the game was good, I wasn't willing to double dip and pay again for a slightly different version.

So yeah... not a lot of strong recommendations from me, but a few that will be worth buying for the right audience.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 03:59:33 PM »
I played fewer of these games than I would have guessed. I went pretty nuts with the eShop and I thought that started in earnest in 2012.

But...

Here comes Insanolord to talk about Mutant Mudds......  ;)

I really did love Mutant Mudds. I've boguht it on several platforms now and played through it a bunch of times at this point. I was such an outspoken fan that Jools Watsham, the game's creator, actually sent me a code for the Vita version of the game because of how much I'd raved about it. This thread is making me want to go back and play through it again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
I played fewer of these games than I would have guessed. I went pretty nuts with the eShop and I thought that started in earnest in 2012.

Keep in mind, there are two more parts to 2012 eShop releases. So it may just be later in 2012 that your purchasing began in earnest.

I was such an outspoken fan that Jools Watsham, the game's creator, actually sent me a code for the Vita version of the game because of how much I'd raved about it.

Lol. Wow! I never heard that. That's a cool story aside from needing a Vita to play the game. Let me ask you this, recently the Mutant Mudds collection was on sale on the Switch eShop. Which version do you think is better? The 3DS version for the 3D effect or something like the Switch version with HD smooth graphics?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 04:50:35 PM »

Keep in mind, there are two more parts to 2012 eShop releases. So it may just be later in 2012 that your purchasing began in earnest.

I was such an outspoken fan that Jools Watsham, the game's creator, actually sent me a code for the Vita version of the game because of how much I'd raved about it.

Lol. Wow! I never heard that. That's a cool story aside from needing a Vita to play the game. Let me ask you this, recently the Mutant Mudds collection was on sale on the Switch eShop. Which version do you think is better? The 3DS version for the 3D effect or something like the Switch version with HD smooth graphics?

You're asking the wrong guy here, because I barely ever used the 3D functionality of the 3DS. It seems very well suited to it, though, and since the game's going for a pixel art style HD probably woudn't be that big of an improvement.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
*facepalm* Aw geez, Rick.

When I was flipping through the Nintendo Power mags to check on eShop releases, they mention about the 3D effect because you move between three planes of distance and they said it was similar to the experience of Virtual Boy Wario Land. That's why I wondered how the 3D effect might compare to a different version without it. All the times and ways you've played, I can't believe you never tried it with the 3D effect to see how that might change the experience.

(As an aside, this experience has further made me appreciate Nintendo Power for a written record of game info. Everyone talks about how print is dead but the internet can really suck for keeping records and information and trying to later track things down. Wish the magazine was still going because it still could serve a purpose as a historical record of things for later.)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
I said earlier that Mutant Mudds was (for me) forgettable, but it's not entirely true. The 3D effect was very well done in that game and a significant selling point.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
I like the Art of Balance games. They're simple block-stacking games set in zen gardens. Sure there's been similar free flash games, but the aesthetics do kinda elevate this series a bit. Not a must-play or anything though, plus it looks nicer on Wii U and Switch.

Always been the most mildest of curious about Dillon's Rolling Western. That game got physical releases in Australasia/Europe/Japan, but never in the Americas. Just seems odd for a Western themed project.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »
I only played Mutant Mudds and Zen Pinball.  Both are good, but I only recommended Mutant Mudds because I actually didn't play that much Zen Pinball, but I vaguely remember not wanting to buy the extra tables.  I was in school for the first half of that year, so maybe I just didn't have the money.  I dunno.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 10:20:49 PM »
..., but I vaguely remember not wanting to buy the extra tables.  ...

Pretty sure that you can't buy extra tables for the 3DS version, right?
Each Zen pinball game on 3DS (original, Marvel, Star Wars) comes with exactly four tables; nothing more, nothing less.

They had talked about DLC coming... it just never actually arrived, as far as I can tell.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 10:59:29 PM »
Mutant Mudds regularly goes on sale on Switch for $1.50 as part of a collection so I can't really recommend it on 3ds.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 11:24:23 PM »
I'd be willing to pay extra for the 3D but I've always been all in on the 3D effect since the beginning when the handheld launched.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 11:31:05 PM »
..., but I vaguely remember not wanting to buy the extra tables.  ...

Pretty sure that you can't buy extra tables for the 3DS version, right?
Each Zen pinball game on 3DS (original, Marvel, Star Wars) comes with exactly four tables; nothing more, nothing less.

They had talked about DLC coming... it just never actually arrived, as far as I can tell.

Oh! I think you're right. Maybe it was a demo that I played? And I didn't want to buy the full version?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »
The other thing is that Mutant Mudds is kind of average by modern indie standards. Back when it came out it was leagues above the other Nindies but the bar has just been raised so much higher, even on the 3DS.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 08:42:37 AM »
Oh! I think you're right. Maybe it was a demo that I played? And I didn't want to buy the full version?

This is very possible. At least one (the Marvel tables I'm confident about, others less so) had a demo available where you could try out the tables.

The other thing is that Mutant Mudds is kind of average by modern indie standards. Back when it came out it was leagues above the other Nindies but the bar has just been raised so much higher, even on the 3DS.

This might be true - it was one of the earlier examples of "wow, indie games on eShop can be good".
And even though I don't particularly love the game, it is good across the board.

Also, while it's come out on other platforms since, the 3D effect on 3DS is a selling point here. Otherwise the jumping back-and-forth gimmick is really kind of pointless...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 12:56:45 PM »
I got Sakura Samurai, Ketzel's Corridors, and Dillion's Rolling Western all free through Club Nintendo (remember Club Nintendo? Pepperidge Farms remembers). That was a while ago so I don't remember them particularly well.

Sakura Samurai: If I remember this game correctly, the controls were making swipes on the touch screen to swing the sword in various angles, aiming to use the correct ones to hit enemies. It's a pretty simplistic game with little variety, it was okay as a freebie but I don't think I'd spend any money on it. I recall the last boss being pretty ridiculous in a bad way.

Ketzel's Corridors is a concept I believe I've seen before with at least one other game, but can't recall the title. It's basically moving around a 3D Tetris-like piece so that it can fit through a set of walls which are heading towards the camera. The latter stages move at crazy speeds, I don't think I could clear every level. It's a decent action-puzzler, but again I don't think I'd have paid for it, meself.

Dillon's Rolling Western is a game / series I wish I could like, but it has some major problems holding it back. It's a fairly unique concept to mix tower defence with action, and there's a little bit of exploration and discovery in searching for resources on the maps. The two main issues are that the combat is extremely repetitive, and that you barely get any money the first time you play a stage, allowing for building hardly any towers and have to fight everything yourself. Breakable equipment was definitely a mistake for this game as well. This is yet another good example of a game which would benefit from being shorter and having much less padding. Still, due to its uniqueness and being a new (at the time) IP from Nintendo, I'd still recommend checking it out. Maybe people would like it more than I did.

I played the Wii version of Art of Balance, which is a fun little physics-based puzzle game. I believe the 3DS version has the same puzzles at the Wii one, plus maybe some new ones added too but I forget. It's worth a try on any system, though on Wii it used the pointer which I liked. Touch screen would probably be okay though.

I tried only the demo of Mutant Mudds. Retro-inspired games are not for me, and this was no exception.

Always been the most mildest of curious about Dillon's Rolling Western. That game got physical releases in Australasia/Europe/Japan, but never in the Americas. Just seems odd for a Western themed project.
You're confusing this with the most-recent, third game in the series. The first game - which is in this poll - and the second game, are exclusive to the eShop in all regions.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:00:16 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
You're confusing this with the most-recent, third game in the series. The first game - which is in this poll - and the second game, are exclusive to the eShop in all regions.

Oh whoops, sorry! My curiosity grows milder by the minute!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
It is worth remembering that Limited Run should be releasing an Atooi collection sometime this year with Mutant Mudds on it.
https://youtu.be/Th4qOS6yjFE

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »
It is worth remembering that Limited Run should be releasing an Atooi collection sometime this year with Mutant Mudds on it.
https://youtu.be/Th4qOS6yjFE

Not sure how much that will cost, but it looks appealing.

I wanted to try both Chicken Wiggle and XeoDrifter, but have so many downloaded games already. Carts are much preferred because they can be shared with my kids and/or resold later.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
The only one of these I've played is Mutant Mudds, which I played on the Wii U along with it's sequel, Super Challenges.  I thought the first Mutant Mudds was ok, but pretty basic in terms of gameplay and level design.  The sequel on the other hand, Super Challenges was much better with a bigger and better variety of level design and actual boss fights as well.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »
From this list, the only one I can recommend in Zen Pinball 3D. I played it a bunch and thought it was pretty good.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 06:46:25 PM »
And now for the moment we've all been waiting for: The NWR staff reviews for these titles. Wait! Where are you all going? Come back......

Zen Pinball 3D gets a 9.
Mutant Mudds gets a 9.
Sakura Samurai gets a 6.5.
Samurai Sword Destiny gets a 4.
Dillon's Rolling Western gets a 5.5.
Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch! gets a 7.5.
Zombie Slayer Diox gets a 5.
Arc Style: Soccer 3D gets a 4.5.
Ketzal's Corridors gets a 7.5.
Block Factory gets a 4.
Colors! 3D gets a 9.
Art of Balance Touch!
Bird Mania 3D gets a 2.5.
Bomb Monkey gets an 8.
Marvel Pinball 3D gets a whopping 9.5.
Order Up!! gets an 8.
Sudoku by Nikoli is unrated.
Kakuro by Nikoli is unrated.
Johnny Kung Fu gets a 4.5.
Mad Dog McCree gets a 4.
Slitherlink by Nikoli is unrated.

There you have it.

Top dogs seem to be Marvel Pinball 3D, Zen Pinball 3D, Mutant Mudds, Colors! 3D, Art of Balance Touch!, Bomb Monkey and Order Up!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »
Part of me feels like by the Nikoli puzzle games now just to give them an unofficial NWR score as well and complete the list so that everything has a rating.

I saw that Mutant Mudds for 3DS is on sale this week so I'm going to finally pick up the game for it because I want the 3D effect. I'm still considering Ketzal's Corridors mainly because it got a trophy in Smash 3DS so I've always remembered it since. Mop it up commented on it reminding her of something else and I wonder if the something else is Tetris 3D from the Virtual Boy. After getting a Virtual Boy and looking into its titles, I learned about Tetris 3D and it seemed to remind me of the trailer for how Ketzal's Corridors played / worked. Probably going to do some reading now on these other titles just to get more info as to what they offer.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »
It doesn't look like Block Factory is still available on 3ds