Author Topic: So when is Nintendo going to do something about the storage situation on Switch?  (Read 10907 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
It isn't that hard. Let me hook up a hard drive to the dock so I can archive the games I'm not playing right now.

The only solution Nintendo has for this is to basically delete everything but your save data off of the system which in my opinion essentially turns digital ownership on the Switch into a glorified rental service unless you're willing to shell out obscene amounts of cash on a large enough SD card. Outside of a few multiplayer games I'm pretty much physical only by necessity.

We're almost two years from the Switch's launch and it's weird quirks that haven't been fixed yet are really starting to make it feel half baked.

Also, this whole "not having folders as a feature on the OS at launch" thing got old with the 3DS and Wii U.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I've got a long term solution for you. Go to school, graduate in an appropriate field, also learn Japanese fluently before graduating. Then get a job at Nintendo, and PLEASE be the voice we need from the inside.

They can't hear us from down here.....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
2019 or 2020. BOOK IT

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
2019 or 2020. BOOK IT

Book what? Folders? Because I already did before as seen in Exhibit A which I will now quote again for the benefit of this thread:

One year at a time in order to space these applications out over the holiday seasons to get more of that Switch buying mania each time.

2017 - Switch: It has Hulu
2018 - Switch: It has YouTube
2019 - Switch: It has Netflix
2020 - Switch: It has Folders
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I should add to that list, however, to look forward to 2021 when Nintendo releases their new hybrid console to replace the Switch called the Swap. It will come with an increased built-in storage capacity of 45 GB. There will be no online services for the first 8 months.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Using SD cards for storage is fine. They come up to 400GB now.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
So my 400 GB SD card is starting to get a little cramped, and 512 GB cards exist but cost more than a Switch, so I may be headed for some fridge cleaning. I'm sitting around 50 GB free, and that's after downloading Smash, so I have a little while, but it's worrisome.
Granted, insanolord is probably the outlier on the bell curve.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
If it was fine than people wouldn't be complaining about it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Nah 400GB is plenty. People are usually complaining even when they have one of those because they started out with a smaller card and upgraded when the prices dropped. I do agree that 32GB built-in is a joke though - but then again, I've had my Switch since launch day and haven't had a need to delete anything or get an SD card yet.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
No SD card at all? You might be the opposite end of the bell curve from Insanolord.

32GB is definitely inexcusable in 2018.  But I got a 200GB SD card, and haven't touched the bottom yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:13:58 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
I should add to that list, however, to look forward to 2021 when Nintendo releases their new hybrid console to replace the Switch called the Swap. It will come with an increased built-in storage capacity of 45 GB. There will be no online services for the first 8 months.

The Swap  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
At least one person around here appreciates my work! Steefosaurus is fast becoming the best poster on here that isn't me.  ;)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I would prefer the Switch-a-roo. 

The dashes can be stylized to help make 2.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Nah 400GB is plenty.
I've only owned my Switch for a year now and I've already filled 1/4th of that on the SD card despite going almost purely physical outside of multiplayer games specifically to avoid space issues, which by the way is not a valid solution because a lot of "Physical" games require a 15GB download to play.

What it comes down to is that at this point if a downloadable game (or a physical game that requires a download) is available on any other system I own than I will actively seek out another version of that game. I highly doubt that's what Nintendo wants considering they get less revenue on retail copies than they do on digital, and no revenue if I purchase the PS3 version of a game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:19:16 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
I download all my games and if I run short of space I just archive them.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

I'd hoped we'd moved past the days of fridge cleaning.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Maybe next they'll bring back the SD card channel only this time it's a Switch Cartridge to MicroSD card adapter so you can have a second SD card.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
I'm surprised a third party hasn't come up with a solution.

I always planned to buy a second model Switch, but my best friend and my mom may have conspired to get me an original for Christmas. Ugh.

I got burned with GBA, and DS. The second models were so much better.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:57:10 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Switch card with room for two microSDs or bust.

Edit: I got my 400 today, so I moved everything over and I'm in the process of redownloading all the stuff I had to throw out of the fridge. There's some bigguns here (two Warriors games, Skyrim, Doom, one of the One Piece games) so we'll see how much space I have left.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:52:32 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
As card prices are supposed to plummet the next few years

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Hopefully they come down pretty fast. 512 GB microSD cards exist now, but cost more than the Switch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
At this point it seems that microSD sizes are catching up to regular SD, so I guess that means using a regular SD slot probably wouldn't help. Putting in two slots for microSD probably uses about the same physical space as a regular SD card reader anyway.

I don't think Nintendo will enable support for hard drives on the Switch because it goes against the whole concept and turns it into more of a home console. Not only that, but there's the problem of what happens when the Switch is taken out of the dock as it's reading or writing data to the drive. The system does things like download updates in sleep mode so the only way to safely remove it from the dock would be to first power off the system. The idea seems too messy to work.

Hopefully they come down pretty fast. 512 GB microSD cards exist now, but cost more than the Switch.
Out of curiosity, where is this sold, and how much does it cost?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I saw one on Amazon recently for $350, but I just went back to find it and saw a couple cheaper ones, including one as low as $164.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Are you sure those aren't fake? There are a lot of fakes out there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I don't think so. It's through a third-party seller but they have a lot of excellent feedback and it's a Kingston card, not some no-name manufacturer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Edit: I got my 400 today, so I moved everything over and I'm in the process of redownloading all the stuff I had to throw out of the fridge. There's some bigguns here (two Warriors games, Skyrim, Doom, one of the One Piece games) so we'll see how much space I have left.

Finished with 119GB left. Based on my preferences that'll last until PAX Southwest in June.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile

But having a hard drive attached to your dock would still mean fridge cleaning when you undock, take it on the go and realize the game you really wanted to play isn't on system memory.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

But having a hard drive attached to your dock would still mean fridge cleaning when you undock, take it on the go and realize the game you really wanted to play isn't on system memory.

Still quicker to load off local storage than to have to download it all over again.

It would be amazing to be able to dock the system, which will auto back up your saves to the N-Cloud, then you select the games you wish to fit on local storage, the Switch gives you a time frame  (ie ~10 minutes) and you literally go do something else, like get ready to leave, and then 10-15 minutes later you come back, snatch the switch off the dock and go.
Games not selected removed, and games selected added for play on the go.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile

Still quicker to load off local storage than to have to download it all over again.

It would be amazing to be able to dock the system, which will auto back up your saves to the N-Cloud, then you select the games you wish to fit on local storage, the Switch gives you a time frame  (ie ~10 minutes) and you literally go do something else, like get ready to leave, and then 10-15 minutes later you come back, snatch the switch off the dock and go.
Games not selected removed, and games selected added for play on the go.

That would be great, but this is Nintendo and 3 online systems later we still have friend codes, no way to chat with friends etc but I don't really want to have that tired discussion.

Just pointing out that having an external hard drive doesn't mesh with what they want the switch to be, and anyone who wants to go mostly digital can easily upgrade the memory via sd cards. The prices aren't really that bad when you shop savvy enough, and it's a worthwhile investment.

I could have jumped on some Black Friday sales for a 400gb roughly equal to a full price switch game but my 256gb that I upgraded to play Black Friday is still barely half full. This time next year if I need to expand beyond that size I'm sure the bigger card will be even cheaper.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Your first point was all the reason for the 1st reply to this thread 😉

Nintendo obviously doesn't quite get it, but with a little help, they could be innovating.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Maybe if we figure out how to complain in Japanese. You pass the message through Nintendo of America and it gets lost through translation or corporate bureaucracy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

This just popped up on my Switch news channel. It's in Japanese, but it clearly shows the MyNintendo logo next to a 512 GB microSD card. I wonder what it is.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
The translate app on my phone basically said you can buy SD cards from My Nintendo now

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I figured it was something along those lines. If they could get me a deal on a bigger card that'd be more appealing than those NES controllers or whatever else they're offering through the service.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
That actually would be a pretty sweet deal to get a discount on SD cards.  I would definitely jump on a 512GB card for the right price.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
That actually would be a pretty sweet deal to get a discount on SD cards.  I would definitely jump on a 512GB card for the right price.

is there a price on there? Because I doubt Nintendo would be offering them w/o a markup.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
You guys actually think Nintendo is going to sell you cheap SD cards?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
No, not really. :(

It's just fun to dream.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I could see them maybe partnering with Samsung to offer a discount code you can use towards their SD cards for Nintendo Online subscribers or something.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Please excuse my bump.

I wanted to revisit this topic since my SD card started getting full the other day.  I was downloading some eShop games from the sale and some wouldn't because the card was full.  I archived an NBA 2K game I wasn't playing to free up space, but now I'm in the market for an upgrade.

I was at 200GB before, and that has lasted me since launch.  How's everyone else looking?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I'm aggresively fridge cleaning my 256 gb card because I want to go to a TB when that becomes affordable but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I actually had to upgrade my 3DS's SD card recently of all things,
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:10:27 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I currently have a 512 GB card, with about 72 GB free. I'm hoping that will last long enough for the 1 TB cards to come down in price.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I actually had to upgrade my 3DS's SD card recently of all things,

Really?! What have you been downloading, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
TheaterRhythm was what put me over but I think getting into Persona and SMT was what doomed the 64gb card I was using. Those games are generally pretty large for 3DS games and if I had to estimate, having all 9 of the Persona Q and SMT games on the SD card is easily more than 20gb alone.

But the PNY card I'm using now seems to work really well with the 3DS. Normally as the 3DS's SD card gets larger the home menu takes longer to load but that PNY card seems to run circles around the 64gb card I was using.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Oh yeah, those will do it.  I haven't played my 3DS much because the A button isn't as responsive as it used to be, so I was wondering what you might've been picking up.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Well, I just plopped $200+ on a 1tb SD card.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I splurged on a 512 last Fall. Still got like 225GB free, but that will probably get eaten up fast. My wife wants me to go digital to go more minimalist and is fine with me spending more on games if they are not physical, so this basically will get me completely off the physical train.

Hoping this will last me until 1-2 TB cards are $60-$80 so we'll see how far I last.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Living that terabyte kinda lifestyle is the only way to go. Anything less is just stifling.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Well that's until we run out of space. Than we're fucked.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Well, I just plopped $200+ on a 1tb SD card.

what card did you get for that cheap?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
it was a sandisk one. I believe it was the last one in stock unfortunatly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
That's about what the 1 TB cards are going for these days. I actually paid a little less than that about a month ago.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I just bought a 512Gb (u3) but it was part of a much larger order, so I forgot that I only paid $85 for it. The 2TB equivalent was around 2.5x that cost, and I figured a 512 would hold me over on my new phone for quite some time till 1TB cards came down significantly in price.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
That's not bad, and it's good to see those prices coming down.  I bought a 512 for $90 back in March, so I'm hoping 1TB is about that before I need to upgrade.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I don't have a good way to transfer everything between the old SD card and my new one right now because the SD card I'd be transferring from is the same size as my laptop's SSD. It actually wound up being easier to re-download everything, which thankfully Nintendo made about as painless as they could with how the eshop is set up.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
With absolutely everything downloaded, including some of the f2p stuff that I tried out like once, i have 441gb remaining.