Author Topic: Pikmin 2 and Mario 128 in 2003!  (Read 15978 times)

Offline Game_Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pikmin 2 and Mario 128 in 2003!
« on: February 07, 2003, 02:25:48 AM »
http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=3611

Cube-europe have reported that Shigeru Miyamoto wants Mario 128 and Pikmin 2 to be out by years end, and also that the next zelda will be released in 2004. I have a feeling Super Mario 128 has been in development for a long time and will be something special.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 04:21:54 AM »
That IS good news. And we don't even have Zelda yet!
I'm gonna pre-order Zelda tomorrow, whether the Pre-Order discs are coming out here or not. If they are, then I get two games! Well, one and a half.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 04:32:22 AM »

I have a feeling Super Mario 128 has been in development for a long time and will be something special.

Well what do you expect when it was first shown E3 2000 and already announced (technically) back when the GCN was still the Dolphin and Shiggy said it would be more mature.

Its probably already been in development since 1999. ITS GONNA BE THA BOMB.
LZ 2005

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 07:14:01 AM »
as long as the new mario has powerups, bricks to smash, and turtle shells to kick then i'll be a happy Mario fan once again!
Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 07:30:12 AM »
I'm not holding my breath.  Nintendo only releases games ...

A) Late.
B) Out of frickin' nowhere.

:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 08:00:54 AM »
I can't afford an more games this year!

I guess I'll have to sell my body.

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 08:36:41 AM »
I expect Mario 128 to be released this Christmas. Why not? Nintendo doesnt have a First party AAA title for Christmass yet.... They need a Big gun to fight off Halo 2

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 08:59:17 AM »
"next zelda will be released in 2004."

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Unless they've been working on two Zelda games at the same time there is NO WAY that's going to happen.  I'd say same thing with Mario.  Pikmin 2 is the only title I would expect to see in 2003 as they would have had two years to make the game.  But Mario or Zelda titles being released only a year apart is a pipe dream.  Nintendo isn't EA you know.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 09:10:04 AM »
first of all what the hell is mario128.....is it not pikmin meets mario.....if it is it wont dont htink i will be a big fan o the game. pikmin is cool, mario is cool, but if u put them together.........no. hopefully it isnt what i am thinking. cuz wasnt mario 128 shown at e3 and it was the same engine used to make pikmin.......hopefully its just a normal mario title with castles and power ups and all that. mario 64x2= masrio128 hopefully thats what it stands for. CUZ I WOULD KILL FOR THAT SHlT!!!! as for zelda.....i wouldnt mind it being cell shaded again as long as link is an adult. they should make the game more like an anime and less like a cartoon if u know what i mean. links head is too big. he looks like an annoying kid that u would kick across the room if he talked too much. anyways i am babbling, but hopefully these dates hold.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 09:34:20 AM »
Super Mario 128 will be the true sequal to Super Mario 64. If you want a better idea of how good it should be, think of the Mario Brothers games for NES.

Super Mario Brothers (The first real Mario game, not counting those arcade games) *Relates to Super Mario 64

Super Mario Brothers 2 (This one was different and the least favorite for many, but still good) *Relates to Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Brothers 3 (The greatest of the three!) *Relates to Super Mario 128!

This will not be Pikmin meets Mario, this will not be 100 Marios, this will be the next real adventure. It won't be rushed, it won't focus on objects and it won't be buggy.

(I am not saying SMS was bad, just saying that it will be the worst out of the 3 most recent games. Or at least I hope.)

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 09:53:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
        "next zelda will be released in 2004."

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Unless they've been working on two Zelda games at the same time there is NO WAY that's going to happen.  I'd say same thing with Mario.  Pikmin 2 is the only title I would expect to see in 2003 as they would have had two years to make the game.  But Mario or Zelda titles being released only a year apart is a pipe dream.  Nintendo isn't EA you know.

Ian:  Obviously you missed the SMS interview posted on Nintendo.com.  Here is one choice quote that may be of interest to you:

Miyamoto:  "Whenever we are working on so-called series games, I really feel it's necessary to make the interval between a game and its sequel as short as possible, and we have to do something to improve the situation for our fans. Accordingly, people who used to work together on the Mario series have been split into several teams in order to introduce Mario series games with less lag time between them. We are taking a similar approach to the Zelda series."

The rest of the article is really good too.  
        SMS Interview

Anyway, throughout the interview, Miyamoto and the other NOJ developers repeatedly stress the different ways that they are trying to reduce development times in between sequels.  So, while they may not accomplish the goal, I truly believe that Nintendo is going to try to release a new Mario game for Q4 2003 and a new Zelda game for Q4 2004.  

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 10:43:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid

I have a feeling Super Mario 128 has been in development for a long time and will be something special.

Well what do you expect when it was first shown E3 2000 and already announced (technically) back when the GCN was still the Dolphin and Shiggy said it would be more mature.

Mature? Hope that doesn't make it suck.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 10:54:15 AM »
        all i can hope for is that mario 128 is a side scrolling game
        think about it: all the moves and items from super mario world, the suits from mario 3
        oh yeah and they should put BROTHERS back into the title
        it would be great to have another mario brothers game for the 2 player co-op
        i call the big one bitey.

Offline Enomis

• View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 10:58:50 AM »
        Pikmin 2 is gonna rock!

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: February 07, 2003, 11:02:18 AM »
        Nobody knows ANYTHING about Mario 128.  The only thing I know is the E3 demo, with all the Marios.  Personally, I think it'd make an interesting (bizarre) puzzle game.  If you can give me a link saying that Mario 128 is the direct sequel to Mario 64, I'll believe you.  

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
        « Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 11:19:46 AM »
        Super Mario 128. I know what it is but I don't know what it's about. I still can't wait.
        You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
        « Reply #16 on: February 07, 2003, 11:34:43 AM »
        Frankly I dont think the game will remain the same Mario 128 tech demo we saw at E3 2000, or will it even have the same name. I'm thinking it will be more like Super Mario 64. And it's more likely it would appear in 2004 considering Miyamoto said himself there'd be a new Mario game ever 2 years.
        --CURRENTLY PLAYING:
        Sim City 4, Mario Golf
        --LOOKING FORWARD TO:
        F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
        « Reply #17 on: February 07, 2003, 11:36:23 AM »

Are you talking about the "128 Marios" demo? It isn't the same thing as "Mario 128".  And I don't remember anything about any game being "more mature"

EDIT: Had to fix the "quote"

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
        • Score: 1
          • View Profile
        « Reply #18 on: February 07, 2003, 11:43:39 AM »
        Could someone clear this one thing up for me:

Is "Mario 128" the one with 128 (100?) Marios jumping around at once? The tech demo?

Or is it a new Mario, as in Mario 64 for the 128-bit generation?

I was leaning towards the latter, but one of Matt's mailbag answers suggested otherwise. A "puzzle game" I think is what he called it.
        <BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
        « Reply #19 on: February 07, 2003, 12:49:05 PM »

B) Out of frickin' nowhere.

RICK KNOWS SOMETHING!!

I thought the demo shown at E3 2000 or whenever it was was a tech demo called 100 marios?!?! Super Mario 128 is not the same thing people, it is the true sequal to Mario 64 we have all been waiting for, Miyamoto said in an interview "Mario 128 will have the newness that Sunshine was missing". Well, i think its a new proper Mario game, not a puzzle game. And Rick just hinted at something, TELL US MORE RICK! Please

Offline henra

• View Profile
        « Reply #20 on: February 07, 2003, 01:05:42 PM »
        Like Koopa Troopa said, the "128 Marios" demo is not the same thing as Mario 128.  The demo was shown at the unveiling of GameCube during SpaceWorld.  Nintendo wanted to illustrate the GameCube's power by showing 128 Marios acting independently, all at the same time, with a (from what I remember) really stable framerate.

What 'roid said is also true, to some extent.  Shiggy did express interest in making the next Zelda game non cel-shaded.  So, if you think that makes it more mature (I don't necessarily think so), then the next Zelda will be more mature.
        I like the stars.  It's the illusion of permanance.  I can pretend that things last...that lives last longer than moments.

Offline GameCuber

• View Profile
        « Reply #21 on: February 07, 2003, 01:08:51 PM »
        Yeah, i'm especially looking forward to mario 128, and i own pikmin 1, so i can't wait to see what the sequal has to offer  
        IGN boards username: GameCuber350

AC info:

name: jason
        town: ZEAL

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
          • View Profile
        « Reply #22 on: February 07, 2003, 02:19:28 PM »
        How can it be called Mario "128"?  GameCube is a 64-bit machine.  

Offline NSVN64G

• View Profile
        « Reply #23 on: February 07, 2003, 02:35:36 PM »
        The games will most likely be released in Japan this year. America will probably be in 2004. It takes a japanese game to be americanized about an average of 3 months.
        "Whenever you make great progress in a game always remember to save. I learned that the hard way."-Me
        Nintendo Consoles I Currently Own: NES, Gameboy, SNES, Virtualboy, N64, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and GameCube.
        Time Clocked in Super Smash Bros. Melee: 164 Hours 34 Minutes
        Come see

Offline GerbilSoft

• View Profile
        « Reply #24 on: February 07, 2003, 03:38:48 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
        How can it be called Mario "128"?  GameCube is a 64-bit machine.

Have you read any of the specifications on Nintendo's website? The GameCube uses a 128-bit PowerPC processor. You're thinking of the Nintendo 64, which uses a 64-bit processor.

EDIT: And on a sidenote, you might want to update your sig - both the PS2 and GameCube are 128-bit systems. The XBox, on the other hand, is 32-bit. (Actually, the Pentium series is 64-bit, since it uses a 64-bit data bus, but no one seems to know that for some reason.)  

Offline Lev

• View Profile
        « Reply #25 on: February 07, 2003, 04:55:10 PM »
        no, the gamecube IS 64 bit, the person before was right.

it is extremely possible for a new zelda to come out by Q4 2004, especially if they keep with the cel shading. After all, wasn't Ocarina and MM two years appart?
        It's not easy having a good time... Even smilimg makes my face ache

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
        « Reply #26 on: February 07, 2003, 04:56:04 PM »
        I thought the Gamecube processor was 32 bit, but I am probably mistaken.

Anyways, I really hope this game is NOT rushed. That may have led to Mario Sunshine not being as good to many and not the killer app many have come to expect from a Mario game. A lot of criticism was coming Nintendo's way for not releasing a Mario game at launch for the Gamecube, and they didn't have many big name games coming out at the time, so it was more than likely a top priority for Nintendo to release M. Sunshine ASAP. Miyamoto & team can do wonders with time in their hands. He wants to cut down development time, but I really hope it isn't rushed.

PS. Mario Sunshine wasn't too rushed, but the time was not taken (mostly in thinking up the game) to develop it to full potential.
        Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
        www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline GerbilSoft

• View Profile
        « Reply #27 on: February 07, 2003, 05:02:59 PM »
        Hmm... I just did some research, and it *IS* 64-bit - the data bus is 64-bits wide. Yet Nintendo advertises the GameCube as 128-bit... (Maybe the processor has 128-bit registers, but the data bus is 64-bit?)

Offline LOUiE

• View Profile
        « Reply #28 on: February 07, 2003, 05:42:07 PM »
        All I know is I'm buying anything Zelda related and I'll buy both Mario 128 and Pikmin 2.  I loved Pikmin and can't wait for the game with more of everything.

To all out there, I'm the poster formally known as Turkeyboy007.  This here's my first post.  I tried to get on earlier but the system wouldn't let me join.  Glad to be here.

Offline dolphin558

• View Profile
        « Reply #29 on: February 07, 2003, 05:58:47 PM »
        Why isn't SMS not considered the true sequel to Mario 64?  
        Jesus is Lord, faith in Him = only access to heaven

Offline GerbilSoft

• View Profile
        « Reply #30 on: February 07, 2003, 06:03:31 PM »
        Because the SMS is an 8-bit console by Sega released in 1986... (Sega Master System)

Oh, you mean Super Mario Sunshine! Probably because they didn't feel like calling it "Super Mario 64 2", because that's a bit awkward.

Offline Lev

• View Profile
        « Reply #31 on: February 07, 2003, 06:05:47 PM »
        i have never seen nintendo advertise the gamecube as 128-bit.

there have been no titles with 128 in the name and mario 128 doesn't even exist yet, so you can't include that.
        It's not easy having a good time... Even smilimg makes my face ache

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
        « Reply #32 on: February 07, 2003, 07:41:51 PM »

How can it be called Mario "128"? GameCube is a 64-bit machine.

This is considered the 128bit generation, regardless of how many consoles really have 128bit CPUs. I think it would still be considered the 128bit generation if NONE of the consoles had 128bit CPUs.  

EDIT:  Hmm gotta remember the reply button under everyones name's will actually make you reply TO the person's post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
        « Reply #33 on: February 08, 2003, 12:28:23 AM »
        Now im irritated, Rick help us out.  
        When Mario 128 was officially confirmed some months ago IGN were posting the videos of Mario 128 from E3 2000 right?
        I gotta check it up. Anyway, Mario 128 nonetheless has been in development very long whereas SMS really seems to be a port from a N64 developed but GCN enhanced games, thats what several gaming sites like IGN assumed.

About the new Zelda, couldnt it be possible that another Zelda has been under development parrallel to Wind Waker? In a totally different style?
        LZ 2005

Offline jme

• View Profile
        « Reply #34 on: February 08, 2003, 12:52:07 AM »
        This is sort of off topic but work with me...

Okay, you know the game select area of Super Mario Sunshine, where you control mario and jump around and stuff to select a new game or a saved game or options? Well the graphics were just as great as those in the game (sunshine) but it was a sidescroller sort of thing (you could only go left or right, not near or far)

Don't you think it would be a great idea to remake SMB 1 2 and 3 with those style graphics? Have everything identical, from the level layout to the warps, to the enemies, but just with a HUGE facelift? Since those games are pretty short and aren't REALLY 3D I'm sure they could fit all 3 onto 1 disc, even with the graphic update. Oh and of course unlockable original versions too.
        and i ain't lyin' neither!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
        « Reply #35 on: February 08, 2003, 09:35:28 AM »
        THe idea for a game aint bad, but first I dont want anymore remakes and secondly i dont want too many mario games either.
        LZ 2005