Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Confirmed for North American Release  (Read 23530 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles Confirmed for North American Release
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
I think Nintendo is releasing the game in a limited manner because they know it will not be a monster hit. This way those who want it can get it easily, but they do not have to risk a bunch of cash printing enough for every store to get copies. An excellent technique I feel and I hope they make enough money trying this to do again with other games.

But with that mindset, it can never be a monster hit. They're fulfilling their own prediction.

And what about Amazon, which already has a ton of pre-orders on Monado?

Also, I don't think printing and shipping copies is a significant part of the cost, otherwise there wouldn't be so much shovelware out there, especially since they run the manufacturing side as well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:55:00 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
I was finally going to import after I was done with Zelda. Glad I don't have to now. I'll be picking this up for sure.  ;D

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
I think Nintendo is releasing the game in a limited manner because they know it will not be a monster hit. This way those who want it can get it easily, but they do not have to risk a bunch of cash printing enough for every store to get copies. An excellent technique I feel and I hope they make enough money trying this to do again with other games.

But with that mindset, it can never be a monster hit. They're fulfilling their own prediction.

And what about Amazon, which already has a ton of pre-orders on Monado?

The self-fulfilling prophecy is the ultimate tool of the stubborn jackass... so it fits Nintendo pretty well.  NOA likely had no plans on releasing this and then the European sales just made them all look like idiots.

It's not even a pride or ego thing.  If Xenoblade is a big success in North America Reggie has to answer to his superiors about why he dragged his feet so long on this to the point that Nintendo fans started a movement of sorts for it to get released.  It isn't ego as much as job security.  So if NOA rigs things so that Xenoblade cannot possibly be anything more than a cult hit in the US, then he and NOA weren't wrong.  The FANS were wrong and NOA only did it to please them.  So not only is NOA not responsible for a stupid mistake that created all sorts of bad PR for Nintendo but they now have their excuse to shrug off any future examples of the fans second guessing them.  "Well last time we listened to the fans, the game was a bomb so they don't know anything.  We know best."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
I have a feeling this game is going to end up being a cult hit and copies of it will be extremely hard to find in the years that follow. It will be like Metroid Trilogy all over again... and maybe even worse than that.
The Prime Trilogy thing is a travesty.  That should have had more availability.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
Exclusively through stores in the U.S.? What about Canada? The Facebook quote says it'll be released in North America. I am confused.
Can you NWR newshounds follow up on this point, pretty pleeeeeeease?
You can order through Nintendo's online store if you're in Canada.

But the question is, Can I use my Club Nintendo Coins as payment?

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
Ho. Ly. ****.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
I have a feeling this game is going to end up being a cult hit and copies of it will be extremely hard to find in the years that follow. It will be like Metroid Trilogy all over again... and maybe even worse than that.
The Prime Trilogy thing is a travesty.  That should have had more availability.

Although Prime Trilogy is bad, there were at least a million copies sold and in circulation (not to mention MP 1, 2, and 3 in their separate forms) to satiate the demand. But this Xenoblade game is probably going to have a very limited production run I bet. How many do you guys think Nintendo will manufacture? 100k? Less than that? I don't think there will be as many copies in circulation as MP Trilogy so I think finding this game a few years from now is going to be extremely difficult.
is your sanity...

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
Well, I'm glad to see Xenoblade finally released in NA, so everyone else can see how it is the best JRPG released this generation and the best game released this year.  It'll just have to be next year's "Game of the Last Two Years" winner.   :P: :

The thing is, I still don't regret importing the game.  My sale along with the other importers' probably helped push NoA towards doing this.  Besides, I paid less importing it than many of you will pay for a local copy on day 1.

It looks like the game will be using the same British dub, so that's nice.  I wonder if the save files are compatible between the two versions.

Now how about an announcement on The Last Story for NA, hmm?  :cool;
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
Broodwars, not to mention that by importing it you got to play it sooner. The game is still a few months away so people who don't want to wait might still want to import it despite this confirmation.
is your sanity...

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Knew it would happen eventually. People get waaay too worked up.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Knew it would happen eventually. People get waaay too worked up.

Who's to say that people getting "waaay too worked up" over this isn't what caused Nintendo to bring this game over like this in the first place?

And yeah, Chozo, I meant to mention that.  I'll be done with Xenoblade long before it releases in NA.  That's assuming it doesn't take me 3 months to get through Skyrim.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »
I just hope people put their money money where their mouth is, and purchase it. Regardless of it being limited to these two locations (which could change). If it sells horribly, then Nintendo is less likely to chance things with the other two.

I'll be purchasing it, been awhile since I played a really good JRPG.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:12:13 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
Nintendo better not charge shipping....

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
I go to sleep for a few hours to try to feel better and I wake up to this wonderful news. For those that may get concerned that this is going to sell in 2 places well this has been confirmed way out in advance so the preorders will be jam packed in these two places. Also keep in mind that this game was in the number 1 slot for preorders over at Amazon during the whole Operation Rainfall movement for a long while. If all those preorders go over to Nintendo's online store then well it could be really big!
 Also this is just speculation on my part but Nintendo may open up things for other retailers in the coming months based on reactions and preorders for the game based on this news.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
If I can buy it through Nintendo's online store then I don't have to give Gamestop any business!  YEAH!

Seriously I was thinking the same thing. Hate Gamestop with a passion.

Hip hip hooray for the game!!!!!!!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
I may buy two copies of this game. One to play and own, and the other to sell for a huge profit once the supplies are sold out and the game becomes extremely rare.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Wonder if Nintendo's going change the voice overs?  I might as well cancel my Zavvi order since Royal Mail still doesn't have a clue what happened to my TWO orders. 

Not sure what to make of the whole excluisve thing though, maybe GS is now co-publishing titles now? 

Offline Ax23000

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
I get why they're going with Game stop, but it is kind of funny to think that they're cutting out Amazon considering the number of existing pre-orders over there.  I mean, that was one of the things that helped actually get Op Rainfall the amount of press that it got.  Oh well, guess I'll cancel that order and get it through Nintendo instead.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
Wonder if Nintendo's going change the voice overs?  I might as well cancel my Zavvi order since Royal Mail still doesn't have a clue what happened to my TWO orders.

They aren't.  The dub is the original British one in the European version.  If you listen to the NA trailer, you can hear the British voice actors.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
So quick question: Do I put my unopened PAL copy up on Craigslist right now, or do I keep it and not bother purchasing the NTSC release?

I would like to avoid modding my Wii as much as possible, but then again if The Last Story never makes it across the pond, I'd be in a great position to import that game, too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:10:51 PM by OneTwenty »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
So quick question: Do put my unopened PAL copy up on Craigslist right now, or do I keep it and not bother purchasing the NTSC release?

I would like to avoid modding my Wii as much as possible, but then again if The Last Story never makes it across the pond, I'd be in a great position to import that game, too.

Well, you've already paid for the game and the modding is pretty simple, so why not just play the game you already have?  You probably won't get what you paid for the game on Craigslist, anyway.  And like you said, should NoA decide Xenoblade didn't sell well enough to justify The Last Story (likely), you're all set to import that game.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
That's what I'm leaning towards, Broodwars. I originally imported it with the mindset that if it released here, I would sell my import and purchase the North American version. But like you, I paid less importing it than if I were to buy it here. And I have heard that modding the Wii is easy, I just hope that it doesn't end up compromising the system in the future.

Offline Eyothrie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »
Modding your Wii will compromise your warranty.  But like others have said, it is a simple process if you're careful.  If you do it right, you won't compromise the functionality of your actual system.

RTR!

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
This story was a lot more interesting until it got the the part about being a Gamestop exclusive.  Not that I care about buying there but them being the only store carrying it reduces the chances of finding a deal on it.  I can't remember the last time I bought a game for more than $30, with the exception of a couple games that were $50 with $20 of credit from Amazon.  Games in general drop in price so quickly that I just can't justify paying full price when a game comes out new, it's so much more economical to be a little behind the curve.  Anyway, it's good that Nintendo is releasing the game here, even if it's through only one store and probably will have little to no promotion behind it.