Author Topic: Investors Heavily Criticize Nintendo's Performance  (Read 16061 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Investors Heavily Criticize Nintendo's Performance
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »

They believe Nintendo should open themselves to mobile phone gaming.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27433

Investors criticize Nintendo's recent performances with the Wii, 3DS and upcoming Wii U.

One belief they have is that Nintendo should start supporting mobile phone gaming for devices such as the iPhone and iPad due to how successful these ventures have been for other companies. “Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” said Ohki, a fund manager at Tokyo-based Stats Investment Management Co. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.” 

This is in part due to the poor sales of the 3DS, which prompted Nintendo to lower its price months after it debuted across the globe. Experts believe that Nintendo needs to create games that show off the 3D capabilities of the system better, inspiring consumers to invest on it. “The selection of 3-D titles available is pretty poor,” said 19-year old Chihaya Kaizaki, who also stated that the 3DS lacked the games he wanted to play.

Finally, investors are also wary of the upcoming Wii U. The system, first revealed at this year's E3, has failed to inspire their interest, making experts wonder if it will ever live up to the legacy the Wii gained ever since its November 2006 launch.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Investors Heavily Criticize Nintendo's Performance
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
Nintendo will never do that. Nintendo has learned and by the time Wii U comes out they will make sure its flawless. I bought the 3DS the first hour it was out and never have I regretted my decision to buy it.

And I'm not the only one. All true Nintendo fans know that they won't let us down. I can't wait until Wii U, and I'm going to pre-order it as soon as the stores let me :) 

And I know a company needs the investors, but screw them. They don't about anything else other than their money and not the real reason Nintendo does what it does. Nintendo does it for their fans, the true fans. And since this is a Nintendo fan/information site, I'm pretty sure most, if not all of you are true fans.

Thank you Nintendo, keep doing what you do best!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:44:18 PM by DanielM »
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
As much of a fan as I am in handheld systems as dedicated units and as much as I'd prefer Nintendo to keep that format viable, I don't think Nintendo really has a choice but to start supporting mobile phone games in addition to their more traditional ventures.  The industry and the economy have changed a great deal since the original DS launch, and I'm not sure the investors are going to let Iwata and Co. stay the course if the 3DS doesn't pull a miraculous recovery this Fall after the fantastic bungling they've done so far.  The market for mobile phone games is growing too potentially lucrative for the investors to allow Nintendo to keep ignoring it, much as I'd prefer they would.

As for the Wii U, that system right now is a hard sell with the information we have right now.  At the moment, all Nintendo has accomplished is establishing that the console will be a little better than the PS3 and 360 were 5 years ago, with a controller that IMO screams gimmickry and a software library the audience will likely already own on the other consoles.  Until Nintendo demonstrates its capabilities with must-buy software, it'll be hard for Nintendo to sell this device outside of what's left of their core fanbase on Wii.  With all that uncertainty, it's easy to see how the investors are starting to lose their patience and their faith in the company.

I wonder if Nintendo can turn this around with a good showing at the Tokyo Games Show.  Both the 3DS and Wii U need must-buy software, and a big showing in front of Nintendo's native audience would probably do a lot to calm the investors.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:00:17 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
It would be just about the stupidest thing Nintendo ever did if they considered that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Better Headline: "Nintendo needs new investors".

Seriously.  I wonder how many of these are the same guys who thought the PS3 was going to have 44% of the market...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
I have yet to play a mobile phone game that I would happily pay more that $2 for. Everything available on these iPhones and Adroid phones are stopgap games, they offer me a little distraction while I wait for the bus. I'm glad Nintendo hasn't resigned itself to making games like this, I want to play something more substantial. I haven't really played my 3DS outside of my house yet, but I've taken my DS all across the country.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
I think it's still too early for Nintendo to start making games for smart phones or make their own smart phone. Smart phones may have taken a large chunk of the portable gaming market from Nintendo, but the future may prove to have enough room for games on smart phones and dedicated handheld gaming systems.

As for the Wii U, it's early for that system as well and there is time remedy concerns.

As an aside, why does "gimmick" have to be bad word?  :(

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
It would be just about the stupidest thing Nintendo ever did if they considered that.

Why?  It's no worse than creating a piece of DSiWare, only they could use some of those smaller mobile games to fund their bigger projects and simultaneously establish a presence with a larger market.  The one "downside" is that it would mean that Nintendo would actually have to justify their $40 3DS game prices with software worthy of it.  So long as Nintendo establishes a dictinction between "pick up and play" mobile games and more substantive 3DS dedicated handheld games, they could be viable in both ventures without sacrificing their traditional handheld games model.

As it stands, Nintendo is ignoring mobile phone gaming and allowing Apple to make them look like fools.  I think it's a significantly lesser Evil for Nintendo to step onto the mobile phone game scene and establish a benchmark of quality Nintendo smaller projects.  If successful, it would do a lot more to keep Apple from driving down the market than ignoring it and hoping that it goes away, Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS that has clearly failed so far.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:15:37 PM by broodwars »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
Better Headline: "Nintendo needs new investors".

Seriously.  I wonder how many of these are the same guys who thought the PS3 was going to have 44% of the market...

Nintendo attracted a very "special" class of investors off the success of the Wii and DS. A class who have no idea what "vertical integration" means and why Nintendo builds their business around the concept. (Hint: It's better to control the hardware and collect licensing fees than to be the one getting 70 cents on the dollar for your work.)

Once a company goes public, the morons come flying out of the woodwork.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
(Hint: It's better to control the hardware and collect licensing fees than to be the one getting 70 cents on the dollar for your work.)

Sure, if people are actually buying the hardware and its accompanying software.  But the whole reason Nintendo is in this mess with the 3DS is that people aren't.  The price cut and the games coming in the Fall could change that, that's true.  But if the 3DS is still not in significantly better shape by the end of the year, Nintendo could probably stand to look at alternative business models in addition to their handhelds.  Investors are notoriously skittish and not always the brightest, but whether Iwata and Co. like it or not they have to answer to them.  I just don't see how Nintendo truly hopes to combat Apple like this, so maybe a better approach is to try to direct that market from within.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:32:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
Yah I don't find gimmicky bad at all. Both Sony and Microsoft said the same thing for Wii and its motion controls, and then look what they do. Sony creates a complete rip off of the Wii remote and Nunchuk, and then there Kinect.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
Yah I don't find gimmicky bad at all. Both Sony and Microsoft said the same thing for Wii and its motion controls, and then look what they do. Sony creates a complete rip off of the Wii remote and Nunchuk, and then there Kinect.

In all fairness to Microsoft, the Kinect is vastly different technology than the Wii Remote with much grander possibilities (which Microsoft is doing absolutely nothing right now to take advantage of), and it really shouldn't be lumped in with the Move so easily.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
Investors are the reason the 3DS is doing **** in the first place. Had Nintendo not wanted to get it in before the end of the last fiscal year, it would just now be coming out* with all the games we have now* (Pilot Wings, Zelda 3D, etc). The early drought wouldn't have been an issue.* The eShop would've been up day 1.* The system would've had so much of a sales slump that Nintendo would've slashed the price so damn much.*

*probably.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
"Finally, investors are also wary of the upcoming Wii U. The system, first revealed at this year's E3, has failed to inspire interest, making experts wonder if it will ever live up to the legacy the Wii gained ever since its November 2006 launch."

Um, what? I can't speak for Japan, but at least here the Wii U has been getting a ton of interest from analysts to fans to third party publishers. Already the system has more promising third party games than the Wii did at the same point prior to release.

brood, the Kinect can do some things the Wii Remote can't. However, it's also far worse for most game types.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
I hope Nintendo doesn't listen to their investors... Can someone think of a time where they didn't?

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:35 AM »
Diluting a brand as strong as Nintendo is very shortsighted and would completely undermine their ability to engage the audience on their own terms and in ways the audience hadn't thought of before, which is one of the things that has made them so endearing.

It's hard to argue with the success of smartphones and tablets (ie, the iPad) in the current global economy. You have to remember that's all these talking heads are looking at. They can't see the forest for the trees, as it were.

Although I do still love the idea someone here had about putting out a Nintendo WFC or friends app that would let you manage and communicate with your Ninfriendos™.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »
I think the 3DS price drop indicates that Nintendo is actually willing to piss off their investors in the short-term if the actions they take will be beneficial in the long run. That's great, because the business moves they have made recently to try and keep investors happy were detrimental. I mean, obviously they need to maintain good relations, but investors have zero perspective and severe short-termism. The last thing Nintendo should do is take advice from them.

I live in fear of the day when Nintendo shifts away from dedicated systems. The games I own on my iPod Touch are simple fun, but that's just it. They're simple out of necessity - the more complex, intricate or faster-paced experiences I can find on my usual console or handheld have no place on these smart devices.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »
In other news, investors don't know how to run companies ... that's why they just invest in them.

Good lord ... what's next?

2009: "Kids like sillybands. You should make your next console out of sillybands!"
2010: "People like Lady Gaga.  You should ditch Mario and make her your mascot!"
2011: "Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja are the only two mobile games successful enough to ever mention. You should randomly throw cheap games at the market until 0.00001% of them are break out hits!!!"

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
I have to agree with a lot of you. I feel that these investors are trying to bully Nintendo into a position where it is beneficial for them rather than the company. In other words, follow the trends that work.

I find that to be somewhat ironic. The reason many gamers and consumers are tired of casual gaming as a whole is because companies put too much effort into creating these "family friendly" games that mainly exist to follow a trend in the market.

But then the market itself got over-saturated, consumers lost interest and they went to look for something else.

In 2006, that trend was the Wii and its motion control heavy games.

In 2009-10 it is all about the iPhone gaming and its hits.

By 2013 or 14 there will be another trend companies will be desperate to follow. I certainly doubt that all of this mobile gaming mania will last for that long.

Just watch. The market will once again be filled with Angry Bird like games and half assed efforts created to provide the audience with something they think they will eat up, and it will all slow down, giving analysts the opportunity to say "Is the iPhone/iPad bubble about to burst?".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »
Do the math. Big Nintendo hitters sell for 50$ and sell 20 million units or more. On the App Store they would have to cost 5$ or so and even that would be a high price for that market. They're never going to sell 200 million units on the app store.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 03:33:11 AM »
The only investor who has any real power is Yamauchi since he's the largest shareholder by far.  Yamauchi is the guy that said Nintendo would close before ever developing for another platform.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry about what some of the investors are saying since the most important investor is still on Nintendo's side.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »
These investor meetings are jokes anyway, anybody who owns even just 1 share of stock in the company can attend them. So often you get people who don't know what they are talking about.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 04:02:44 AM »
If Nintendo wanted to they could just do a buyback, they have a shitload of money.
These are just trend following investors that after jumping in after the Wii/DS catapulted want Nintendo to follow them to the next trend.

The mere idea of it is stupid.
The biggest Iphone games don't make near the money Nintendo's biggest games do.  It frankly doesn't look like any will in the forseeable future.  Even if the worst possible predictions happen Mario will destroy iOS games this winter.  The mobile phone game market is VASTLY overrated.  Apps are typically packaged together with games making it even more confusing.  I think mobile games will have some effect on Nintendo.  Particularly games like Brain Age, Language Coach, Crosswords, and Recipes will have difficulties because they are easily and cheaply replicated on the phone.  The end of handheld gaming seems just like ridiculous Apple hype, which gets hyped more than any company I have ever seen.

Hardware is one of Nintendo's biggest strengths and anyone who watched the success of the DS and Wii would realize that.  Not to mention royalties they get from other companies for making the hardware.

Let's be honest, most investors know little to nothing about a lot of things they invest in.  They follow trends and many jump around.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
They need to give the price cut time to take effect. I'm sure there will be a dramatic increase in 3DS sales this month and next month compared to what it has been in previous months. These investors are impatient and unrealistic. There was a problem and Nintendo addressed, but now they just need to give it time to kick in.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
Having personally dealt with enough investors over the years.  I don't know why Nintendo doesn't just take them out of the equation.  They have the money to do it and still be able to weather a few bad generations.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.