Author Topic: Wii U Homebrew Channel Launches  (Read 3728 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Wii U Homebrew Channel Launches
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

The Hackmii Installer has been updated for use on Nintendo's newest console. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32751

It has been mere weeks since the Wii U launched in United States, and the fellows at Wiibrew have already developed a new version of their Hackmii Installer that allows players to install Homebrew Channel, or HBC for short, onto the new home console.

Currently, the channel will only work in the Wii U's emulated Wii Menu mode, and does not work in Wii U mode.

Homebrew Channel is an application that allows users to boot homemade software on their console, including tools that launch imported games, media players, save file organizers, fan-made games, and emulators for old video game systems. 

During the last generation of home consoles, Wii system updates were continually released for the sole purpose of removing any installed versions of the Homebrew Channel and disabling the exploits hackers used to install it onto the system.

More details on this new development can be found here. Needless to say, caution is advised for anyone who wishes to attempt use of this software as it will void warranty of your system and may result in banning from Nintendo's online community. 

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Homebrew Channel Launches
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
So its technically still a part of the wii?

Offline fadelzz3454

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
i could understand using it for the Wii now cuz theres no new releases and people would rather buy Wii U games.

But hacking the Wii U is more dangerous cuz Nintendo has a stronger online system which makes it so that ur nintendoID cud be banned

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
Cool. I suppose there's really no reason to own a Wii anymore now that the Wii U can play import Wii games, unless you're just that into those GameCube games Nintendo's going to re-sell anyway over the next few years.

But hacking the Wii U is more dangerous cuz Nintendo has a stronger online system which makes it so that ur nintendoID cud be banned

This hack only works in Wii mode, and at this point I don't see Nintendo really caring anymore what people do with Wii mode so long as it doesn't intrude on things they want to do with Wii U software.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:15:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
I'm not surprised it works, since Wii Mode is practically a Wii. I imagine that part of the reason Wii functions are sectioned off as they are is so that hackers can't get into the Wii U using existing Wii hacks.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »
Cool. I suppose there's really no reason to own a Wii anymore now that the Wii U can play import Wii games, unless you're just that into those GameCube games Nintendo's going to re-sell anyway over the next few years.

This hack only works in Wii mode, and at this point I don't see Nintendo really caring anymore what people do with Wii mode so long as it doesn't intrude on things they want to do with Wii U software.

But banning Wii U's that are modified (even just in Wii mode) might stop some people from modding their Wii U's at all, which would be the goal for Nintendo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »

But banning Wii U's that are modified (even just in Wii mode) might stop some people from modding their Wii U's at all, which would be the goal for Nintendo.

I don't see any positive outcome for Nintendo in banning people for the "crime" of modifying a small portion of their Wii Us to play games they should be able to play anyway. It's not like they're entering this gen on the best foot as it is, so it's not in their best interest to start burning bridges with early adopters.  The "crime" is so minor it makes Nintendo look pettier than usual.  Better to leave them be rather than risk driving these people to other consoles even more than Nintendo usually does.

We'll see what happens when the Homebrew Community inevitably unlocks Wii U unsigned software, which will probably be around the first time Reggie announces he's not bringing a notable Wii U game to NA.  Modifying Wii Mode so you can play your imported Wii games is one thing.  It's not like Nintendo's really losing major money on that anymore.  Running software that could potentially be used to pirate Wii U software (even if that's not your intent)? That's another story altogether.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:21:26 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »
Yeah, because the Wii wasn't hacked before there was major titles held back from the US...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:33:16 AM »
I wouldn't call the Wii U getting hacked "inevitable," since the 3DS still hasn't been, despite what I'm sure has been considerable effort.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »
Title is Misleading click bait.

Their is no Wii U Homebrew Channel.
Their is the Wii Homebrew Channel working in Wii Mode on the Wii U.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »
Do we really need to draw any more attention to Homebrew? :s  Don't agree with the need for it in the first place, even if the Wii* it is meant for is technically dead now.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »
There's some pretty cool, legal stuff available for Wii homebrew. Yes, it can be used to break the law, but so can many other things. I know if I ever get around to doing the transfer I'll be installing this to play my import games and to be able to play DKCR the way it was meant to be played.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Will they call it the HomebrU channel instead?
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
Will they call it the HomebrU channel instead?
I was sorely tempted to use this pun in either my headline or abstract description.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
Title is Misleading click bait.

Their is no Wii U Homebrew Channel.
Their is the Wii Homebrew Channel working in Wii Mode on the Wii U.

Agreed.  I know the article is a week old at this point, but this clarifier would be appreciated.