Author Topic: Atelier Ryza Series  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Atelier Ryza Series
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:16:42 PM »
So, I don't know how much traction this particular topic will get but I'm going to use it as a test case of more forum gimmickry sparkling innovations by incorporating Discord discussions onto the forums. Hopefully the posters on Discord don't mind being quoted here and having their content spread throughout the shared NWR cinematic social-media universe.

I only became aware of Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout late last year when it came up in discussion on NWR's Discord. I think it was Matt Z that brought up a few times how much he like it and was looking forward to the sequel. I don't remember ever hearing or seeing anything about it before so I looked it up and it did look rather appealing. The art style and the story premise almost sold me on the game but the RPG elements and crafting mechanisms made me pause as to whether it would kill my enjoyment or not. Still, it is a game that is now on my potential buy radar.

I was also curious as to how the sequel, Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy, would fare and from impressions it seems to be winning people over more than the first. The idea of exploring ruins and solving mysteries behind them is something which always excites me as a gamer. It's a big reason why I enjoy Metroid or BotW and many other games and series. From the chatter I'm seeing, it may low-key be the first great Switch game to be released for 2021.

Here's a trailer for the Lost Legends if you are also unfamiliar with what these games look like.
BnM Forum Legacy Link

Here's what's being said so far about it on Discord.

Transcript in case the image link is later lost/broken:

Thangorodrim [The Doom Slayer]

I’m 3/7 of the way through Ryza 2 now.  Continued to be blown away.  Some of the systems can be pretty esoteric at first, but so far I’d say it’s one of the best JRPGs on switch and continues to be a big step up from 1.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Atelier Ryza Series
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »

Transcript

Harald23

Yeah I watched some gameplay and I'm surprised by how much they added: the city is big, the dungeons are actual dungeons now, the new skill tree to streamline synthetize, even the little additions to the combat seems for the better

I read one of the reviews i think from RPGSite which was like torn between praising the game for what it achieved but also hoping they'd take their time for the next game

Because Ryza 2 only had a year of development, and it doesn't feel rushed so one can only imagine the crunch

I think with Ryza 3 or whatever comes after they might attempt a fully open world game

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »

Transcript

the dungeon mechanics and puzzle solving is really what sells it

But it was too soon

I hope they take 2 years for Ryza  3

Harald23

for me the premise for the story is also a little bit better too: Ryza 1 was basically teenagers searching for an adventure during a summer vacation on an island, Ryza 2 is them becoming adults, having a life in the city, there is a bit more character progression.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »

Transcript

Yeah just everything about it is better.  The first was charming but this is top tier jrpg to me

NWR_James

is it playable without the first?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:24:23 PM »

Transcript

Dave97

@NWR_James I remember you talked about an Atelier game on RFN. It sounded like torture. Because of RFN, that's how I first heard of the series.

Thangorodrim

is it playable without the first?
@NWR_James  I think so.

NWR_James

@Dave97 Escha and Logi is fun if you're obsessive, which I can be

So not heavily story leveraged? Would you suggest skipping 1 instead going for 2

Cutestopher

I played the first and I can’t really remember any real big story from it. I can probably tldr it in 5 sentences if you want

NWRNeal

I found the first good in spots but it was soooooo slow

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »

Transcript

Cutestopher

I liked how combo focused the combat was,  but after a while the reused animations were really grinding

Thangorodrim

@NWR_James  the first is worth playing but I definitely had to look stuff online too often.   I think 2 streamlined a lot of that out focusing of dungeon exploration and puzzle solving.  (So far)

@NWRNeal 2 starts petty slow too.  But idk the series is “chill.”  I think it’s just the dungeon design and hooks that really pull this one ahead but the in town stuff is still pretty slow.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Tried to divide the conversation up a bit in case anyone wants to quote a comment here and don't have to re-quote everything. For now, we have some of the conversation preserved for posterity instead of being lost to Discord's infinite scroll if people ever want to get that time bubble snapshot of what the current mood was of a game. There was even a Kotaku article by someone talking about how the game was hitting a sweet spot for them as well.

Anyone else getting into these games or trying them out for the first time?