Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276333 times)

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 is so close now...)
« Reply #650 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:52 AM »
Quite excited, mine has shipped from Amazon and is on scheduled for delivery today.  Usually UPS doesn't come here till well into the afternoon though.   So I still got some waiting to do.   I'm just relieved it shipped.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 03, 2017, 06:45:27 AM »
. Look forward to your impressions.

Its so good. The hardware is really nice to hold. The OS is so much faster than the Wii U. Adding friends is really easy, even with the friend codes because you just send a request. You can also add people from your Miitomo or FE Heroes friends list if they also have a Switch.
The pro controller is really nice and comfortable, much netter than the joycon grip.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
MY GOD Zelda...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Got me a Switch and I'm gonna tan your hide!

Look how big the buttons are on the Pro Controller! Next to a WiiU for comparison.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
By contrast the Joy Con buttons feel really small. I feel like they're just not the optimal way to play. I've played a bit of FAST RMX and it just doesn't feel 100% right. When I get home I'll try to play with a Pro Controller, which I feel like will be the way to go.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
I've been playing Zelda with the Pro Controller, and it just feels great.  I'm not sure how playing with the joy con is gonna feel by comparison when I'm playing on the go.

Edit: The cartridges do, in fact, taste terrible.  But not unfamiliar. . ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:02:35 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
It takes a bit to get used to, but I think I like the big buttons on the Pro Controller.

Im not sure if this has been said already, so I will say it again. Put a screen protector on your Switch. There are a few reports of it easily getting scratched by the dock.

Nintendo must have cheaped out and not used gorilla glass or anything decent. it annoys me because I dont like using screen protectors.
im usint the onenthat came with the official carrying case.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »
both Microsoft and Sony congratulated Nintendo on the launch of the Switch.

It is possible that they may decide Nintendo isn't a competitor and release games on Switch. The question does Sony want to try round three on handhelds against Nintendo or just join the list of third party support?

Now is the perfect time for Nintendo and Microsoft to release Goldeneye Switchtyfour.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:28 PM »
The cartridges do, in fact, taste terrible.  But not unfamiliar. . ?

It takes a bit to get used to, but...

I got way too much amusement out of reading these sentences one after the other...

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 04, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »
It looks like the Switch has sold through its launch shipment in NA and Japan. Not so much in Europe and other regions. I was very surprised there were so many loose units at my local Best Buy at midnight.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: March 04, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
The cartridges taste like flat, chemical, bitter ink pen ink.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »
Couple of my impressions:

1.   Local Multiplayer, split screen, make this a must have for family trips.   Basically justifies buying Mario Kart 8 again, but in the mean time, Fast Racing does the trick.   Shinen really nailed that down, I hope MK8's split screen is as beautiful and fast, with no frame drops.

2.   I kinda wish the screen was bigger.  I'm wondering what kind of future hardware revisions they might have.   Maybe 10-inch screen, a sort of Switch XL?  I'd pay for that.   Might even still fit in the same dock.

3.   I don't know whether this is the switch, my Yamaha AV receiver, or magic fairies, but it seems that half the time I put my Switch in the dock, it turns on my AV receiver and TV.  Weird.  Basically, my setup is Switch Dock ->AV Receiver (Yamaha)->TV (Lg).   My AV receiver is never really off, it's just "asleep," but it never "wakes up" when I turn on the Wii U, Wii, Game Cube, PS4, PS3, or any of the stuff that's hooked up to it.  But half the time, when I dock the Switch, it all comes to life.   Don't know why it only does it part of the time.  Still trying to figure it out.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 05, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
Oh, and the Switch commercial where you have 2 people sitting on a plane, in coach, playing Switch together?  I call BS.   The problem lies with the kickstand, which doesn't go too far back so when you put it down on a surface that's close to your waist (i.e. tray table), it doesn't tile back enough for you to comfortably see the screen.  That is, unless, you are very short, like under 5 feet.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 05, 2017, 04:09:39 AM »
3.   I don't know whether this is the switch, my Yamaha AV receiver, or magic fairies, but it seems that half the time I put my Switch in the dock, it turns on my AV receiver and TV.  Weird.  Basically, my setup is Switch Dock ->AV Receiver (Yamaha)->TV (Lg).   My AV receiver is never really off, it's just "asleep," but it never "wakes up" when I turn on the Wii U, Wii, Game Cube, PS4, PS3, or any of the stuff that's hooked up to it.  But half the time, when I dock the Switch, it all comes to life.   Don't know why it only does it part of the time.  Still trying to figure it out.

My Samsung TV was popping up an "Anynet+" error message everytime I woke up my Switch, I had to turn of HDMI-CEC interactions in my TV settings. I gather it is some sort of turn-on-one-device-turn-on-all feature that doesn't work well.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 05, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »
I love the Switch so much. Its amazing this it is designed for this kind of thing. I got this photo earlier today

As for the AV reciever thing, I have a similar problem. Inhave a HDMI switch that automatically changes to whichever source just turned on. Then the Switch is in the dock, it keeps changing over to that, even though it is in sleep mode. I noticed in the Switch settings there is a thing called match TV power state, but that doesnt make any difference.
My brother has this problem too with his TV

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 06, 2017, 04:30:43 AM »

I strongly suspect it will be fuckery from 'simplink' on LG TV. I have similar issues with raspberry pi > receiver > LG tv. It is only minor inconvenience for me of manually changing input on amp if tv inputs change. There will be a setting on either LG tv under simplink or on amp under CEC or whatever name that company uses for the functionally, to change it powering on/off other devices.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
I just bought Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japanese eShop. I got really into the demo and didn't want to wait a month and a half to get it. I had to buy Japanese eShop codes from a third party site because the eShop wouldn't take my debit card, but it was a pretty straightforward process. And based on what we've seen so far, it seems like purchases carry across regions, so I'll be able to download the English version once it comes out in America.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 06, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
I just bought Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japanese eShop. I got really into the demo and didn't want to wait a month and a half to get it. I had to buy Japanese eShop codes from a third party site because the eShop wouldn't take my debit card, but it was a pretty straightforward process. And based on what we've seen so far, it seems like purchases carry across regions, so I'll be able to download the English version once it comes out in America.

Wait, what?

I loved the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo even though I didn't know a lick about Puyo Puyo (or Japanese). But if I can download the Japanese version and have the English version thrown in for free that would be kinda cool and unexpected. Am I reading too much into this?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 06, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
I haven't tried to do anything with it, but the games I bought on the American eShop still show up with the "Purchased" tag under them in the European and Japanese eShop, which would seem to indicate it's possible for me to download that version as well.

EDIT: I just tried deleting a game and redownloading it, but it only shows up as an option on the shop I bought it on, so that kills that. And since it doesn't give the option to buy it in another reason, I guess I'm never playing Puyo Puyo Tetris in English even if I were willing to buy it again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:10:25 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Congrats on your Japanese game baby.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #670 on: March 06, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
Is there anywhere (a site) that shows which multiplayer Switch games can be played in two player with just the L Joycon for one player and the R Joycon for the other player?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 07, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
I’m really loving this console after my first weekend with it. Nintendo absolutely aced it with core the design concept. Playing the Switch at a preview event a few weeks ago was fun, but actually having my own console, in my home, is a totally different experience and makes me truly appreciate what this console is. Going from playing Zelda on my TV to sitting in bed and playing Zelda on that awesome handheld screen is something else. HD Nintendo handheld gaming with console-scale experiences is here, and it’s amazing.

Hope everyone had a good launch weekend!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:43 AM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:04 AM »
^ that's encouraging that at least i can do something if i will have desync issues.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
I have only played in handheld mode since buying it. I docked it to make sure it works and I have used it since. Minor issues with the finish being iffy and seeming like a grease magnet but it doesn't change the coolness of the form factor.

The real test will be when I buy another one for my bar and how customers react to have one right there with there drinks. I'm waiting on more arcade type games to come before I set one up for the public.