Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 277397 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Switch Discussion (Review Embargo 3/1, 3/3 Release Date)
« Reply #600 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Specter of Torment is at least a timed exclusive as well (the other platforms get the update later in March or early April).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
People who were at the events mentioned that the farthest they could realistically get from a Switch with the Joycons is less than the range this seems to kick in at (Neal's been saying on Twitter that it starts crapping out at 10 feet).

So we'll see if they have to include more power in the Joy-Cons on that day 1 patch.

My Wii remotes started flonking out at 8-10 feet from the sensor bar, that doesn't seem too bad.

Is anyone camping out in line yet?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 28, 2017, 01:17:35 AM »
I have it preordered, so no camping. But I will be going to EB a bit before they open at 8am. 3 days to go!

Now that we know about a few more launch titles, what is everyone getting?
Im buying Zelda, Fast RMX and Snipperclips.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 28, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
I've pre ordered a Switch, Zelda, and a Pro Controller. I'll pick up Fast RMX on the eShop (unless its getting a physical version? I don't think so) and we'll see if anything else tickles my fancy.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
I have preordered but I'll make the trip for a midnight opening. I'll probably do the initial setup for the console, download FAST RMX then go to sleep. I'll go to work and then begin binging on Switch for the entire weekend starting Friday night.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
I have been wondering about the switch charger today. I want a second one so I dont have to unplug it from the dock. I was thinking about three options, a normal 2.1 amp usb charger plus the USB C cable that comes with the Pro Controller, or the USB C charger for my phone (5V 3A), or the official charger.
I needed to know the specs of the official charger, so I tweeted Vooks (Aus Nintendo site). I got a reply with this

So it uses 5V and 15V. I dont know all the details of the new USB C power delivery standard, but I have heard about it using low and higher voltages. Getting the official one seems like the best idea.
i just hope it works with my portable charger, but I dont see why it wouldnt.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:20:13 AM by Lemonade »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
Is anyone camping out in line yet?

Someone has been in line at Nintendo NY for nearly a month.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
I have been wondering about the switch charger today. I want a second one so I dont have to unplug it from the dock. I was thinking about three options, a normal 2.1 amp usb charger plus the USB C cable that comes with the Pro Controller, or the USB C charger for my phone (5V 3A), or the official charger.
I needed to know the specs of the official charger, so I tweeted Vooks (Aus Nintendo site). I got a reply with this

So it uses 5V and 15V. I dont know all the details of the new USB C power delivery standard, but I have heard about it using low and higher voltages. Getting the official one seems like the best idea.
i just hope it works with my portable charger, but I dont see why it wouldnt.

We got another thread on the adapter going: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=51456.0
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
New game from Kersploosh's developer.

http://nintendoeverything.com/vroom-in-the-night-sky-confirmed-for-worldwide-switch-eshop-launch/

(Is it okay to link to Nintendo Everything, or is that a rival?)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
I've pre ordered a Switch, Zelda, and a Pro Controller. I'll pick up Fast RMX on the eShop (unless its getting a physical version? I don't think so) and we'll see if anything else tickles my fancy.

No physical version announced as of right now, think it's the same with Shovel Knight too? It's worth noting that Fast Racing Neo (plus the DLC) got a physical release in Australia and Europe, just like the SteamWorld Collection did, but I've not heard of plans to do those eShop Selects discs in North America... So based on historic precedent I would say it's probably not happening, unless Switch blows the doors off in the launch period and they're scrambling to fill shelves.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
Given the region-freeness of things, I wonder if it's worth it to hold out and pray for a physical release elsewhere in the world if I want a physical copy.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
If you're looking to further justify your purchase, Laura Kate Dale has confirmed that the Switch Pro Controller works natively with PC.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 01, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
I'm having trouble settling on a micro sdxc card. I don't mind Nintendo being coy about system specs except for this specific instance. I don't want to buy a more expensive sdxc card with faster transfer speeds if Switch won't take advantage of it.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
So console reviews are starting to come out and they're pretty much useless since the Day 1 patch hasn't hit yet. But in the Kotaku review I found this piece of information that is a bit worrisome.

The console apparently drains some of its battery even when docked—I’ll put it in the dock at 100% charge, play for a while, and when I take it out, it’ll say it’s at 88% charge. My colleague Jason and some others I’ve talked to have reported the same thing. It never goes below 88%, and I don’t believe the battery can run out in the dock. Still odd and a little annoying.

That's...unacceptable.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
Chris Kohler calls the left Joy-Con issue a "showstopper" in his review of the hardware: https://www.wired.com/2017/03/review-nintendo-switch/

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
Here's a detailked and, at times. scathing review-in-progress of the Switch as hardware from IGN
Some of the complaints seem like nitpicks (boo hoo, no native LAN support) but other points are valid. It's not a terrible review but it's not great. Preliminary score: 6.7. Rebiew theme: Switch is trying to do too many things and does none of them really well. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »
Here's a detailked and, at times. scathing review-in-progress of the Switch as hardware from IGN
Some of the complaints seem like nitpicks (boo hoo, no native LAN support) but other points are valid. It's not a terrible review but it's not great. Preliminary score: 6.7. Rebiew theme: Switch is trying to do too many things and does none of them really well. Jack of all trades, master of none.

So this brings up the question "how do we review this hardware?".  Nintendo is suggesting the Switch is a console with handheld-like features, not itself a handheld.  It's silly to expect a wired connection direct on the tablet portion of the system, is it so unreasonable to expect a port on the dock they're displaying as a feature?  Surely they could have had that option for it to switch to direct internet connection upon docking. 

Should reviewers review the system based on what their competitors are doing, or based on how far forward Nintendo has moved in comparison to their prior consoles?  Comparing this system to its peers from Sony & Microsoft, one could argue that in several ways it's woefully lacking.  Comparing to the Wii U, it's probably a leap forward from what that system was at launch. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
apparently people are stupid enough to put the cartridges in their mouth

http://www.fuse.tv/2017/03/nintendo-switch-game-cartridges-taste-bad

and they  taste bad.

I have never once thought, when seeing a video game "Maybe I should put that in my mouth!~"

Thanks Trump.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
I...I kinda want to see how bad they taste now...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Switch Discussion (March 3, 2017 is so close now...)
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »
It's honestly all I can think about now.

I think I'm gonna go check out my DS and 3DS libraries. . .

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 01, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
I wonder if I ever put a cartridge in my mouth as a kid.  I did tend to chew on toys a lot.  I don't think I did because I probably would have been afraid that it would electrocute me or, even worse, damage the game!

What do 3DS games taste like?  They could taste like motor oil or they could taste like pizza for all I know.  Is there some system that has really tasty carts and I've been missing out the whole time?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 01, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
likely if you did back in the 80s you'd have some sort of heavy metal poisoning now. You don't come off as anyone with heavy metal poisoning.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 01, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
Shipwreck from Cheap Ass Gamer (who I believe is an engineer) posted a series of tweets earlier today pointing out that parts of the tablet that connect with the joycons are metal but that the parts on the joycon that connect to the tablet are plastic and that in his opinion, there's a good chance that there may be serious design flaws that result in a very high failure rate of joycons.  Obviously based only on images and speculation, but he generally seems to know his stuff.  The more I read, the more I'm happy that I'm fine waiting for a revision to come out, more than enough of a backlog and too little time for gaming to jump in at launch.  Hopefully he's wrong and hopefully Nintendo figures out a software fix for the other joycon issue, but to me the issues announced so far are more than enough reason not to rush out and buy the system.

I wonder if cartridges are like a fine wine and get better with time.  I'll bet some of those N64 cartridges I've got in my closet are delicious...

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
Man, I don't feel well reading things like that because it just reinforces the notion that this thing is just not ready and R&D just didn't have enough time to work out everything.

I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Here are the tweets

$80 controllers guys!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:05:53 PM by Soren »

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2017, 02:27:30 AM »
One more sleep.