Author Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash  (Read 17062 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Mario: Color Splash
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
This game looks so jolly! Showed really well on Treehouse.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 08:14:27 PM »
This game looks so jolly! Showed really well on Treehouse.

Wowwwww yeah just looked at the new trailer, Christ that's gorgeous. Loving the collage effect when they bring in photo-esque items like the battery and fire extinguisher. Don't really get the battle system yet from the short trailer, did they show more of it elsewhere?

Not gonna lie these visuals are kinda blowing me away, absolutely precious. This just skyrocketed to my shortlist of anticipated upcoming releases.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 09:02:16 PM »
I can't say I liked what I saw in the trailer, at least. It looks even more like Sticker Star now than it did before, especially with the whole "pulling real objects into battle to deal damage" bit.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
Here's the trailer for those too lazy too look it up:

Lots of neat stuff. It answers some of the things this thread talked about in the first trailer but also left some stuff unexplored like the battle system. I didn't really see any cards in action aside from some of the super attacks that occurred. Surprised to see the Koopalings. Also interesting was all the level elements that occurred like the fan blowing on the level, a ShyGuy curling it up, riding a dragon through lava. The game seems to be emphasizing more action during levels/worlds with battles thrown in to defeat enemies. I wonder if each world has a Koopaling Boss as you work your way to Bowser.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 10:23:38 PM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 01:54:59 AM »
Why are people down on this game? It looks good!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 04:44:35 AM »
The only thing about the game so far I truly don't like is the need to have a specific item to use at a specific time in a specific boss battle. If you don't have it or don't know when to use it, you're pretty much SOL, and have to waste time or worse coins to find it. Thus, setting up a roadblock for progress until you get the right item. The example with the Fire Extinguisher item on Morton's blazing hammer is such an instance.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »
But the fire extinguisher was a photo!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
This game looks to have a heavy dose of "quirky". Could be fun, but I'll wait until it is at the Nintendo Selects $20 price.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
This game looks to have a heavy dose of "quirky". Could be fun, but I'll wait until it is at the Nintendo Selects $20 price.

So, you're never going to play it then.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Socar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 12:35:38 AM »
I don't have a Wii U but looking at the game, this is definietely better than sticker star in so many ways.

I hate how repetitive Sticker Star was. There really is no reason to battle enemies around you, all you do is use specific stickers and all you get is stickers.

Now I don't know whether this is damaging the fanbase here as there's Paper Jam which has decent RPG gameplay that satisfies both the M&L and Paper fans.

The real problem is the stories here. Both games seem to lack in depth of the stories and don't seem to do much of plot twists here and are often making things too predictable. But I know Nintendo is most likely not going to address this because....well its Mario everyone and he's a simple character that doesn't do much besides saving damsels (for the most part).

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 11:27:13 AM »
Since some people who pre-loaded the game on their Wii U-s have the ability to play it, there have been numerous impressions. Humor is really on point, there seems to be a lot of variety in both areas and gameplay, and it seems to be a marked improvement over Sticker Star. I'm looking forward to buying the game in a couple of weeks.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I do have impressions finally. I have jumped into Color Splash, and I have almost 10 hours logged in. I really like it! Like I read about the impressions, the humor is really on point. From a Toad dreaming about a tyrant named Wart taking over a kingdom and Roshambo challenges to small things like the Toads who helped build a bridge in Port Prism and jump up and down in happiness and excitement whenever you cross it, I love everything about the script. Treehouse did a great job, and they had a firm and funny foundation from the Japanese original to build from.

Obviously, the amount of Toads in the game is quite abundant, and many are just color swaps without extra costume pieces. However, some like Rock Paper Wizard do have interesting extras to them.

It's fun to do battles. I never run out of cards due to how easy it is to acquire them, whether out in the field (it's always a pleasure to find a new card that I haven't collected yet in an out-of-the-way location) or purchased at the Port Prism card shop (coins are easy to acquire as well). Winning battles awards experience points in the form of small hammers that you can collect to slowly build a gauge. Once full, your max paint increases. Plus, some enemies drop cards of themselves, so there's onus in battles.

Things aren't as obtuse in Color Splash as they were in Sticker Star. You're seldom ill prepared for a particular battle or scenario due to not having the right thing card. A Toad in Port Prism gives hints on what Thing you may need in the next area you visit, and next to him is a Toad who sells Things for a price, all ones that you have already collected. This means you need not go back to where you originally collected a given Thing, which was a big pain in Sticker Star.

One thing I don't like about Color Splash is that I've had two events where I had to run away from something. The first time wasn't too bad, but the second event had me wondering what to do with a very limited amount of time to figure it out. The thing that chased me continually got me because I didn't know what to do, resulting in multiple obnoxious game overs. I think a better, more suitable punishment would have been being forced to retry the section immediately while losing a significant portion of Mario's HP, such as 30, for instance.

The music is just as excellent as Sticker Star. Now that and Color Splash are my favorite Paper Mario soundtracks. I didn't really care for Thousand-Year Door's soundtrack aside from a few token tracks. That was a low point in an otherwise enjoyable GameCube classic.

I'll be sharing a folder of screens I've taken via Miiverse later on, so look forward to those! :) I hope my adventure with Paper Mario: Color Splash continues to be an enjoyable one.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
This is probably going to be my last game for Wii U. I have to go out and buy myself a copy, I'm really looking forward to this but just haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 11:57:33 PM »
I was able to pick up for $50.00 in December which I thought was a reasonable enough price since it came out two months before and I don't expect a huge price drop on it anytime soon. I considered it my last major Wii U purchase as well. (Besides BotW but I've paid for it on pre-order now as well). There are other Wii U games I'm still open to buying like Sonic: Lost Word, Ducktales Remastered, Super Mario Maker, or Game & Wario, for instance. But I also don't feel like I'll be missing anything if I never get around to getting them or playing them. Now it's just a matter of playing through them.

I was really tempted to buy Color Splash because it did look so appealing but I knew it was based on Sticker Star mechanics and everyone talked about that game being bad. So, I decided to finally play Sticker Star to see what it was like and scratch my Paper Mario itch so that I wouldn't be so eager to buy it. Turns out, I really liked Sticker Star. Yes, it has a couple issues and the biggest knock is probably how little writing / story there is when that was one of Paper Mario's biggest strengths before this game. However, there was still a lot to like about the game and it's great 3DS title to me. Instead of scratching that itch, it just made me want Color Splash more so that's why I finally got a copy a couple months ago. The only reason I haven't started playing it is that I'm trying to get through some other games I wanted to finish first and I know BotW is fast approaching. Still, I imagine later this year I'll finally delve into this title.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »
You're a monster if you don't get Ducktales.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 01:55:55 AM »
You're not selling me on Ducktales with posts like that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

How about this clip to get you hyped?

Or the best song of the original game?

My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:46 AM »
You're not selling me on Ducktales with posts like that.

I know we're off-topic here, but that's okay-- Anyway, DuckTales Remastered was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed exploring the levels, finding treasure, hidden passages and such. The only real issue was the gameplay interruptions from the added story sequences, but they were so charmingly done that I didn't mind too terribly much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
And the fact Allan Young returned to voice Scrooge at 93 years old (and the VA for Magica de Spell came back at age 96!). This is probably one of the last Scrooge roles he did before his passing.

A lot of the old cartoon cast returned for this game. I just wish we had gotten the sequel redone too.
My Game Collection

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
1. The theme song video with real ducks is awesome.

2. Ducktales Remastered is a blast.  The gameplay holds up well and the story is classic Ducktales.  The cutscenes do get a little annoying if you die over and over but other than that I'd consider it one of my favorite games on Wii U.  It's been on sale a bunch of times, not sure if we'll see more sales with the Wii U on its way out, but even at full price it's well worth it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 11:28:23 PM »
I'm willing to bet it will be available on the Switch soon as well. Its one of those games that seems to be on most everything and easy to port.

And hopefully the continued profit will motivate them to greenlight a remake of the 2nd.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
I really like this. I don't know what people were on about.

I used the Fan card. Is that a one shot deal? Should I have saved that for a big battle?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »
If it's like Sticker Star, it shouldn't be a one-time use. There should be a store where you could rebuy the Thing item and make it into a card again or else got to the area where you got the fan the first time and re-acquire it there. That's how it worked in Sticker Star. You can use the stickers anywhere although it's best to save the big Thing stickers for Boss battles in case it is a boss's weakness and because the attack value of them is higher which can help when fighting a boss with more HP than regular enemies.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
I really like this. I don't know what people were on about.

I used the Fan card. Is that a one shot deal? Should I have saved that for a big battle?

You can go to the port of Port Prisma, and rebuy Things used, which is great. You'll need the Fan two times during the story for non-battle reasons. Well, two times for me so far. There is also a Toad in a barrel who will give hints about what kinds of Things you'll need next in the story.