Author Topic: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!  (Read 29084 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2015, 01:15:49 AM »
The amounts of speculation this studio receives each E3 is hilarious and sad.

They're not even in Top 10 of Nintendo studios. Especially by breadth of portfolio.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2015, 01:51:15 AM »
I highly disagree with that, as the Prime Trilogy and Tropical Freeze are a few of the best Nintendo games in existence.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »
I'm torn between 2d metroid and 3d metroid. Why not both? I don't have a 3ds, but i might buy one if there was a 3ds metroid. On the other hand I would buy that same game if they allowed 3ds games on virtual console for wii u. Oh and where is metroid prime hunters ds on VC? I will buy that if there. My Ds is the first model, and its battery is toast and lasts about an hour, and I never beat that game.

A prime metroid, well I want one of those too.

My guess is Retro will create a game inspired by dig dug about mr rosetti. You dig?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2015, 03:04:54 AM »
The amounts of speculation this studio receives each E3 is hilarious and sad.

They're not even in Top 10 of Nintendo studios. Especially by breadth of portfolio.

Seriously? I'd peg them at #2, behind only Miyamoto's hand-picked team in  EAD Tokyo.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »
It's tiring to see people posting virtually the same year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year when more prolific and more talented teams keep releasing actual fricking games that you can play RIGHT now and get ignored.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2015, 04:28:44 AM »
More prolific, sure. More talented? I severely disagree. They've shown themselves to be immensely talented, which is why people are always anxious to see what they're doing next.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2015, 07:10:58 AM »
Plus, they're the only major Western, Nintendo-owned studio for better or worse. A Western audience is going to care about what they're doing a fair bit.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Yeah, it's not just their talent, but the specific skillset they possess (or at least did possess) is unique within Nintendo's stable. They've done things you wouldn't expect most other parts of Nintendo to be capable of.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
It's tiring to see people posting virtually the same year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year when more prolific and more talented teams keep releasing actual fricking games that you can play RIGHT now and get ignored.
Yeah, Intelligent Systems has been doing a great job bastardizing their beloved franchises and making Pushmo games, Alpha Dream is playing it safe, Monster is the Porting Monster, Good-Feel is being dominated by Wooly World...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »
Good-Feel is being dominated by Wooly World...
Is that supposed to be an insult towards them? I don't understand. Should i be feel-bad about it or something?

If you can only remember just four of these Nintendo studios, then you severely need to widen your tastes.

Retro to date one of the oldest studios Nintendo has, it's older than EAD Tokyo by half a decade. During these 17 years (eons in gaming industry) they created one first person adventure game all thanks to extreme hawkish tutelage from Miyamoto and then iterated on it two times. Then they did two 2d platformers.

Five games in 17 years.

In less time EAD Tokyo completely reimagined their own 3d Mario formula twice.

In less time SPD created entire series each with multiple iterations like WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, and Tomodachi Life.

What i am going with is if you ONLY like these five games over literally hundreds of others that were released by other studios (Nintendo or not) i sincerely wish you would widen your horizons cause you're missing out on some amazing games.

By the way same to people whose every post is whining about Metroid. There are literally hundreds of games made specifically for YOU on every platform, even on Nintendo. You can play them right now. Or you can whine on forums and keep feeling bad about your nostalgia.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
What is your point, exactly? Why is it so terrible that they work at a slower pace than other studios?

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
What is your point, exactly?

It's tiring to see people posting virtually the same year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year when more prolific and more talented teams keep releasing actual fricking games that you can play RIGHT now and get ignored.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Well ****, wished I'd seen this before I did my contest predictions:

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

That, combined with the Hyrule Warriors 3DS port means (I picked the wrong WiiU game for a 3DS port), could well kill my chances.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
Yeah, it's not just their talent, but the specific skillset they possess (or at least did possess) is unique within Nintendo's stable. They've done things you wouldn't expect most other parts of Nintendo to be capable of.

YES!  This is why they matter.  They're unique but just as talented as Nintendo's other teams.  Nintendo occasionally releases games like Goldeneye or Eternal Darkness or Metroid Prime that are different than their typical games but are just as good.  Some of us like that variety but Nintendo (probably unintentionally) has a tendency of stamping out that uniqueness in favour of more of the same.  Right now Xenoblade would be the big atypical Nintendo game but I'm wondering when Nintendo is going to sell Monolith or get them working on some Kirby game to piss all that away.

Nintendo makes that common business mistake where they notice that X sells the best so they figure EVERYTHING should be like X.  The family-friendly games sell the best so make everything appeal to the Mario-Pokémon audience.  The problem is that that lack of variety (made worse by the lack of third party support) basically chases away everyone that isn't that audience.  They think they're making more money by making everything more similar to their best selling product but what they're actually doing is shrinking their potential audience.  A dev like Retro has the potential to bring in a different audience thus increasing the customer base.

I'm torn between 2d metroid and 3d metroid. Why not both? I don't have a 3ds, but i might buy one if there was a 3ds metroid. On the other hand I would buy that same game if they allowed 3ds games on virtual console for wii u.

We had both.  Remember when Metroid Prime and Fusion came out on the same day?  My feeling if Retro worked on a 2D Metroid is that I would be happy that Metroid is back and in good hands but Nintendo's obsession with 2D gaming in 2015 is ridiculous.  N64 games should not come across as more ambitious and advanced than Wii U games.  I feel that Nintendo is abandoning much of progress they made with 3D gaming during the N64 and Cube years because they feel 2D is more accessible.  I don't buy new consoles to dwell in the past.  I want to see where Metroid can go in the future, not where it has already been.  It just feels like a step backwards.  I would interpret it to mean that 3D Metroid is gone for the foreseeable future.  I feel both should co-exist as separate series but if they can only do one I feel that 3D allows more freedom for ambition and innovation.

Plus every damn indy dev in the world makes Super Metroid clones so we're not really starving for more games like that.  Metroid should LEAD that genre, not follow.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »
My post was merely stating that, clearly, very few Nintendo developers have been putting out good quality material as of late- less so if we're factoring in titles that are considered the "best-of-all-time".

EAD may have "re-invented" the 3D Mario formula but it took them two games to get it right- TWICE. They're a trial and error kind of dev. Anyway, I don't want to get into that argument.

The truth about Metroid is that it is rather unique even within its genre. Many games focus on melee or mid range combat while Metroid is a ranged game- and has a very charming aesthetic and design that many people enjoy. Atop that, many Metroid titles have been created by seasoned developers, and while there's plenty of indies trying to strike gold with the Metroid formula, many are just cheap imitations.

Retro also has excellent art design in their games, something that has taken a bit of a blow with the recent sterilization of a number of Nintendo franchises.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
The truth about Metroid is that it is rather unique even within its genre. Many games focus on melee or mid range combat while Metroid is a ranged game- and has a very charming aesthetic and design that many people enjoy.
Just last month ALONE we had 2 metroidvania titles that are specifically about shooting over melee.

Retro also has excellent art design in their games, something that has taken a bit of a blow with the recent sterilization of a number of Nintendo franchises.
You just keep proving you don't actually play a lot of games. In just last year Nintendo released number of games in debilitating variety of art styles from comicbook style to claymation, from gothic art deco to CG cartoon.

Not even that but you directly contradict yourself -- remember when you tried to imply that Yoshi's Wooly World is something bad?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
I agree that Retro are overhyped, though it isn't exactly undeserved since the few games they have put out have been top-notch. I think they just get so much attention because they're able to make games with a different flair than Nintendo, so people really want to see them do something new or unique.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
For those of you who are complaining about the wealth of 2D games, those are the easiest types of games to make, which is why so many smaller developers excel at them. The formula has been tried and tested for decades, and it's the simplicity of 2D gameplay that makes it so appealing. No worrying about maneuvering a camera or targeting an enemy in 3D space, 2D games are all about moving left to right on a flat plane.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:27:21 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
As for games I'm excited about at E3...

Mario Maker
Uncharted Collection
Yoshi's Wooly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Ratchet & Clank Reboot
Batman: Arkham Knight
Kingdom Hearts 3 (my fiance loves the series)
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »
I want Halo 5, Half-life 3, fire emblem and pokemans, oh and throw in a new F*CKIN METRIOD GAME NINTENDO!
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:46 AM »
Okay, no need to get so personal with how many games I have played or not. The Mario franchise, including kart, party, RPG, 3D and 2D haven't had unique graphical design as of late, and I'd argue that Kirby's art style is marred by its control scheme. Even yarn is being rehashed. Even though I clearly stated my reasoning behind mentioning how all the development studios have been occupied as of late which you ignored, I'm going to say that a Wooly World is not a good thing. It looks like a Yoshi game with a yarn aesthetic and no Baby Mario, and is yet another 2D platformer which, as has been mentioned before, is the easy and reliable genre to focus on but has been in development for a while and doesn't seem to be offering much unique content.

I also said that independent Metroidvanias are usually unpolished, another comment you ignored. But I guess it all boils down to this- Metroid is a beloved franchise, Axiom Verge and Ori and th Blind Forest are not. They satisfy the gameplay aspects but not the aesthetic and individual nature. The same can be said for the F-Zero DLC- it's not the same as an F-Zero game, which is another series that people want to see.

Yes, plenty of people make games, and they make thm to be like other games. But as consumers, we have the right to be disappointed that some of our favorite franchises aren't being represented because that sways us on a purchase. It's like telling someone to watch Iron Man when they want a new Batman film made.