Author Topic: Original Devil May Cry Triggers Switch Release This Summer  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Or as we call it, Matt Walker's Devil May Cry.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/50460/original-devil-may-cry-triggers-switch-release-this-summer

Capcom's next Switch re-release is going to shoot up the summer.

Devil May Cry, the 2001 character action title for the PlayStation 2, will release on Switch this summer. A price was not disclosed.

This is the first Devil May Cry game to come to a Nintendo platform, though characters from the game were a part of Project X Zone. It originally began as a possible Resident Evil 4 before being reworked into its release form.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Original Devil May Cry Triggers Switch Release This Summer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
And it's only the original DMC & not the HD collection of 1-3 that have released on multiple old and new platforms because shut up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:03:27 PM »
People are of course reading into a comment from the creator that the main character could only appear in Switch if the DMC series appeared on the Switch, so bright eyed and bushy tailed outlooks delusional unbroken Nintendo fans are going wild with theories.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
People are of course reading into a comment from the creator that the main character could only appear in Switch if the DMC series appeared on the Switch, so bright eyed and bushy tailed outlooks delusional unbroken Nintendo fans are going wild with theories.

Sure, why not? It worked out so well for that Persona 5 Switch port.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »
I am glad to get more games on Switch, but this is just lazy and/or greedy of Capcom. Porting a 18 year old game to the Switch? Why not port the HD collection? This better be less than $10.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Switch version will be $40, no HD. PS4 and Xbox DMC trilogies will go on sale for $10 the week this is released.

Capcpom: YOU FAILED OUR TEST

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:22 AM »
It's odd that Nintendo's success tends to have unintended consequences with third party support.  The Wii was an unprecedented success and third parties decided to take advantage of that by flooding the library with shovelware.  Now the Switch is a huge hit and third parties are aggressively supporting it but we get nickel and dimed all the time like we're seeing here.  It's the infamous "Switch Tax".  For some reason third parties see a high selling Nintendo console as something to cheaply exploit rather than just support in a "normal" fashion like they do the other platforms.

Does Capcom think that there is much demand for a standalone port of DMC1?  The general reputation seems to be that the third game is the high watermark for the original trilogy so I don't think there is any special interest specifically in the first title.  DMC2, meanwhile, is generally considered to be a bust so if the intention is to eventually sell all three individually I figure the sales for that one will be quite poor.  Packing them as a trilogy seems like the ideal way to sell those games these days, which is exactly what Capcom has done until now.