Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.  (Read 125486 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X. Monolith Soft's Next Game.
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
This might sound like too clever of an idea for Nintendo but why don't NOA and NOE split the cost of an English translation on games released in both markets?  Then they only take half the financial risk.  That might make all the difference between a profit or a loss.

I notice NOA's general boobery tends to coincide with the arrival of a certain former Pizza Hut executive with no prior videogame experience whose popularity with fans is based pretty much entirely on a well-received speech involving kicking ass and taking names.  Their approach certainly seems to be that if it isn't a sure-thing mega hit it isn't worth their while - which is the exact corporate strategy I would expect from non-gaming people.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
I guess this is why Nintendo of America promotes Mario and Zelda games as their biggest franchises, since they require minimal localization effort.

Honestly, I wish that Nintendo would use the relationships they DO have to localize games- Atlus and Capcom put out massive RPGs yearly, with Atlus doing numerous titles. XSEED brought over the games that NoA didn't give two shits about localizing, and sure, the costs were minimal for them since NoE was behind a lot of the work, but that's still a distribution of workload.

The most annoying thing is that Chris states the audience isn't there on Nintendo systems. I mean, I'll stand by the Captain Rainbow statement, I don't give a damn about that title. But for RPGs? Honestly? Something that's the meat of the 3DS library somehow doesn't have a chance on consoles? Sure, there are certain standards to be upheld and with those standards their is budgeting issues, but come on- maybe the reason the audience isn't there is because you market your console terribly and shun gamers away from your "family friendly" lineup instead of promoting the more mature titles and celebrating them.

Of course, I say this when we're getting XCX, Fatal Frame, #FE and Devil's Third very soon, so I guess I can't complain. This is such a weirdly polarizing comment, in my opinion, since there's very clearly a huge effort by Nintendo to buff out the Wii U lineup and Chris is obviously working hard at it, but they probably wouldn't have to work so damn hard if Nintendo figured out what the hell they were doing with the Wii U in the first place.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
Part of the problem is NOA is in charge of Nintendo's strongest market.  Like a lot of people in sports, music, movies, once someone gets on top, they start to become more and more safe.  Since the newest established sellers are guaranteed to get bigger sales in North America, they don't feel the need to release more niche products.

In comparison, NOE is in charge of Nintendo's weakest market.  They kind of need to release everything they can since Nintendo's fanbase is much smaller over there and they need to do all they can to improve it.  People have to remember Europe is the market where Sega actually beat Nintendo back in the day and even the N64 with all it's cutting edge games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time was basically non-existent back then.  Europeans just don't have the nostalgia and history with Nintendo's major franchises that American's do, which is why many of Nintendo's top sellers get their weakest number in Europe.

Of course Europe used to be even worse then NOA has been.  Before the Wii/DS era, they were the ones less likely to release the more niche games and even some of Nintendo's established franchises didn't get releases over there.  Only during the Wii/DS era did this change when Iwata decided he wanted Nintendo to have a stronger presence in Europe and put Satoru Shibata in charge of NOE.

NOE gets better treatment because NCL wants an increased presence in Europe so they're able to get away with localizing as many niche games as they do even if many are losing money as a result, while Reggie can just brag about how well the newest Mario is selling for NOA to avoid having to spend anything on niche titles since he's making NCL more money then anyone else so they're less likely to question his decisions.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
The funny thing is that Chris picked Xenoblade as an example when it's clear that NOA were being mushheads about that.  I can go to the store and see Xenoblade for the New 3DS published by NOA on the shelf.  The sequel is set to be one of the Wii U's biggest titles this year.  So Xenoblade didn't have enough potential to make a profit on the Wii, which had one of the largest userbases in videogame history, while it does on the comparably rinky-dink New 3DS and Wii U userbases?  Clearly they flubbed on that one and yet Chris pulls it up as an example of the process.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »
A Xenoblade Chronicles X panel will be held at Pax Prime. I'm guessing this is where we will learn more about the voice acting and possibly about 8-4's involvement.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/markmacd/status/637382748185890816

Well there it is, now it's official. Big fan of their work on Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »
Ah, so project X was X! With 8-4 Play helping Treehouse, I'm less worried with how the localization will go. Just hope they go easy on the referential humor or put it where it would be appreciated.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
https://youtu.be/4HKncIY9Jn4
"PAX Prime 2015: The Art and World of Xenoblade Chronicles X - Full Panel"

It's not the full panel as they cut off the Q&A. Also, cynically, this is a 43 minute ad for the North American limited edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Good info on the game and its creation. I noticed the dates on the various concept art pieces where some date to January 2013 or some in 2012. There are only 10 (of a possible 55) tracks from the soundtrack, but the samples of some the 10 are the ones you would pick. Tracks still in question are "Black Tar", the main battle theme, and "The key we've lost" from the E3 2013 trailer.

The concept art and video clips in the panel are somewhat spoilers for those that haven't devoured all the pre-release coverage of the game.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
https://youtu.be/vUK1b_ysTnI
The first episode (out of five) of Nintendo of America's Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide.

Some localization tidbits:
BLADE: Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator is now Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth.

BLADE is the military-mercenary-government of Xenoblade X. There was probably no way to make a good, sensible acronym out of BLADE, but I will miss artificially emancipating from the destiny of Earth and humanity's destruction.

Unions, Xenoblade X's in-universe guilds, are now referred to as Divisions. This is better in line with BLADE's militaristic nature. The video details each of the 8 divisions and their specific game play bonuses.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
I, for one, am glad to know that there are two utterly ridiculous acronyms out there.

Has anyone preordered the limited edition yet? If so, from where? I am a sucker for art books, and I have to get it for that reason alone.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:03 AM »
I want the Special Edition. Amazon has run through their allotment for now. I'm keeping an eye out, but I won't be too bummed if I can't get it.

More localization tidbits:
Sounds like Overeds, powerful & named field enemies, have been localized in to Tyrants. Good switch.

The Nav Ball that you can shoot out to light a path to an objective has been localized to the Follow Ball.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
Nav Ball was better. The rest of the localizations are good so far. Except Skells. Dolls was also really dumb but Skells is awkward. I wish it was something else. Why not just Mechs or Mech Suits?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:22 PM »
Nav Ball was better. The rest of the localizations are good so far. Except Skells. Dolls was also really dumb but Skells is awkward. I wish it was something else. Why not just Mechs or Mech Suits?

Nav Ball was a cute and JRPG-ish name. Follow Ball is as straight-to-the-point as can be, which is something I appreciate.

As for the word "mech", I assume Nintendo of America is wary of litigation. "Mech" may still be trademarked/copyrighted by the Battletech license. I don't know where the Battletech license went after Smith and Tinker. Also notice how practically no fiction with a giant robot (outside of Battletech and Mechwarrior) refers their giant robot with the word "mech".

"Skell" doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and I became fond of "Doll" from following the Japanese pre-release footage. However, I've come to appreciate Treehouse's explanation of "Skell" being a shortening of "exoskeleton" and how "Skell" would easily fit in the same lip flap or text space as "Doll".

Thinking on the history of names-for-giant-robots-other-than-mech where you have your mobile suits, cores, gears, wanzers, vertical tanks, titans, and what not; skell isn't an outlier. If anything, it's something unique that Xenoblade Chronicles X can call its own. That is something the game can be proud of.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Yes it is important to consider that the way a word is said in Japanese will not match the way a word is said in English, making direct translations and lip syncing mutually exclusive.

I appreciate what they did with Skell but the problem is it's just an ugly ugly word, like first you have the S sure that's an S, what harm can an S do? They you have the K it's unusual to SK so close to each other but it's not unheard of. Skeleton for example. Next up is E, whew finally a vowel, but then we have L and then another L. Sk-Ell huh? Well that just can't do, ya see imagine a sine curve, you start with the middle of the road S at 0 degrees, then you go to 90 for the harsh sounding K then way down to 270 for the soft E then back up to 360 for the middle of the road LL. Where as with Doll it's a cosine graph starting with the harsh D sound, then down to 180 for the soft vowel O then back up for LL at 270.

Another way we can show Skell is an ugly word is using it's ASV, or average scrabble value.
For Skell the average scrabble value is (1+5+1+1+1)/5= 1.8
For comparison Doll is 1.25, Gundam is 1.67 and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is just 1.3.
I suppose Mech is also a very ugly word however it's been around so long everyone is just used to it being ugly.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
Skell is literally one letter removed from "skull" so I find it very easy to pronounce and not awkward at all.  Is this like an accent thing?

"Overed" sounds like how a British person with an accent that drops the 'h' says "overhead".

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
I also preferred Doll to Skell... it does sound better to me and feels less contrived, but is probably not "manly" enough for a macho western audience.  In the end, not a big deal either way.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »
"Skell" sounds fine to me, I see no issue. It's like "hell" but with a "sk." Oh bloody skell!

"Doll" was stupid and creepy.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
Dammit, I was debating the limited version on GameStop, but I held off and now it's sold out.

This is driving me nuts. Am I screwed on getting this thing?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:30:00 AM by Evan_B »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »
Dammit, I was debating the limited version on GameStop, but I held off and now it's sold out.

This is driving me nuts. Am I screwed on getting this thing?

Given how Nintendo of America handles supply these days: Yes.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »
I don't mind "Skell," I actually think it's pretty cool. Wouldn't have minded "Doll" but I guess this way we don't have to hear even MORE BS come from kids mouths on the internet, already enough of that as is.

So I'm just catching up on all the news, and I must say: I love Nintendo putting out these informative videos these days. I just finished watching the XCX Survivor Guide video and it has completely changed my mind about the game. Not that I think anything is wrong with XCX, I just felt that I wouldn't want to invest the time in a game that size.

I'm back on board the XenoTrain. See, part of my problem with the original XC was that it took me way too long to figure things out and understand the game. Maybe that's my own fault, I don't normally do RPGs and certainly none of this scale, but a lot of the game mechanics were explained in such a mundane way that it wouldn't stick. Couple that with the fact that confusion would cause me to lose interest fairly early on, which led to the game being put down for months, which lead to even MORE confusion once I went back in. Not this time though. The Survival Guide breaks things down in such a simple way for me, and I wish Nintendo would have done this the first time around.

I'm really looking forward to other ones in the future, across any series that isn't too casual friendly. Nice touch Nintendo.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »
I saw that on Friday and put my order for it.

Here's to hoping that Gamestop has their numbers right.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2015, 05:57:05 AM »

Here's something interesting, according to some guy on reddit an article in game informer states that the character dlc released in Japan will be free in the western version of the game. While I wouldn't have minded paying for it I'm not going to say no to free stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/3kv53n/xenoblade_chronicles_x_dlc_to_be_included_for/

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
I was already planning to buy all the DLC character (a 2,000 yen pack), but cheers if NA/EU/AU/NZ are getting it for free.

I do wonder if Nintendo will be selling the grind boosters as DLC. There's also the question of the costume armor option that was unlocked by purchasing DLC or completing the story.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41177/star-fox-zero-delayed-to-2016

It's all up to you, Skell kid! Charge through that gap and show the (rest of the) world what you're made of!

(Please, let me dream for a moment before I wake back to reality.)