Author Topic: News Channel Live  (Read 6077 times)

Offline armedalliance

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
News Channel Live
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
Just did the update, it's a whole day early lol. Even impressed with the channel icon :P
Hope it's not some sort of mistake that ends up crashing my Wii ^^
Screen

Edit: Gah! The tip-cat (the cat that shows up in the photo channel) is on the News channel too! I have a feeling we're gonna be seeing that feline quite a bit in the future...

Edit 2: Just got the content downloaded and the interface is very nice. Maybe even nicer than the Forcast Channel? You can select from both National and International news, and the globe is also accessible so you can rotate the globe and see different news in different areas just by selecting the article image over that part of the world. If you zoom out enough there's actually stacks of images on top of certain key areas in the world... for instance, Washington D.C. (USA) at the moment has 114 articles and the stack is reaching pretty high off the globe :P

Also, different sections are selectable, like sports, arts/entertainment, business, science/health and technology.

There's still a bit more to it but hey, you can check for youself if you've got a Wii! Also won't post pics 'cause they won't come out good with a camera and I'm too lazy to set up my capture card to do some screen-captures, hehe.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: News Channel Live
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
I sure hope so, the cats are awesome <3
There's not a whole lot of news showing up for Australia at the moment (three stories in total lololol I think the place is a bit more active than that), but it's pretty impressive. Once again Nintendo wins with awesome music in these Channels.

Offline armedalliance

• View Profile
RE:News Channel Live
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »
Haha, yeah. I almost feel like I should be playing some sort of cheesy technology-based third person shooter listening to this music :P
I definately like the style of their channels, although at times I wish the bars on the top/bottom weren't so massive... and slightly plain, but then again I suppose plenty of people have bad eyes so it makes sense and I really shouldn't complain.

Edit: Trying not to hit reply for this random note... hah... reading the "Nintendo's Wii to Provide AP News" article... ON the Wii News Channel :P

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
Globe + News Tiles that stack to the moon = fun

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:36:09 AM »
The first story I read?  An update on the Hold your Wee for a Wii story.

Amazingly enough, the article somehow managed not to mention Nintendo or the Wii once in the entire thing.  I'm not sure how that's possible.

Unbiased, indeed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »
text zoom is cool too. it was like a game just trying to figure out what the words were doing.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 01:48:34 AM »
Heh, asking the tip cat turns the load bar into cats and holding A while moving the cursor over that load bar makes random sounds...

News for other countries are trimmed to what you'd read in your newspaper's international stories. It showed zero stories for Washington DC for me and a few celebrity gossip ones for the rest of the US (total about 6-7) while having loads of stories for Europe.

What do the icons next to the news mean?

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:58:07 AM »
Whoa.

Wario's power level must be over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Also I will check out the news channel soonz.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:55:42 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Amazingly enough, the article somehow managed not to mention Nintendo or the Wii once in the entire thing.  I'm not sure how that's possible.

Unbiased, indeed.

The funny thing? On the technology section one of the news is about how the PS3 is going to launch in Europe on March...I read that and I was like "...OK, so I am reading about the PS3 on my Wii...".

This was certainly a nice surprise. I woke up this morning and saw the blue light flashing, I checked real quick and there it was!

I haven't explored further, but I like how it is presented.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:46:59 AM »
The funny thing? On the technology section one of the news is about how the PS3 is going to launch in Europe on March...

The even funnier thing? That story isn't shown to Europeans (or at least me).

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »
I seen that news story too....Which is funny but I think it's good, it may mean that no news story will be censored by Nintendo hopefully.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 03:53:11 AM »
I'm at work so I can't check it until I get home but I'm wondering how much local news there is.  I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, which is not a small city (population approx. 1 million) but it's not exactly a huge metropolis, either.  Even regionally, I'm wondering what Alberta or even all of Canada has.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:07:14 AM »

Actually your wrong!!!!....if you would read the whole article. it states later in the article. "Strange was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by seeing how mugh water they could drink without going to the bathroom.  The DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii.""

So, lets not be faux news here and not report the whole story
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 04:20:10 AM »
Ummm....don't see any Canadian news, oh wait......there is one, out of Saint John, New Brunswick about an Oil Refinery
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline chaingunsofdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 04:31:55 AM »
Lots of Canadian news for me when I fired-up the Wii this morning. Too bad most of it was about the psycho sicko in BC. Apparently the map does not know where Ottawa is though... everything from Ottawa news shows as Toronto on the map.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 05:55:55 AM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder
Actually your wrong!!!!....if you would read the whole article. it states later in the article. "Strange was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by seeing how mugh water they could drink without going to the bathroom.  The DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii.""

That wasn't there when I checked at 7:00 AM this morning.  It must have been added later.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 05:57:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
I sure hope so, the cats are awesome <3
There's not a whole lot of news showing up for Australia at the moment (three stories in total lololol I think the place is a bit more active than that), but it's pretty impressive. Once again Nintendo wins with awesome music in these Channels.
So they fixed/replaced your Wii?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »
News Channel = awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »

Originally posted by: IceColdSo they fixed/replaced your Wii?

Nope, not yet. Oddly enough though, the pointer is super smooth in the News Channel.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder

That wasn't there when I checked at 7:00 AM this morning.  It must have been added later.

Ya, you might be right, I think I saw another article that didn't have it, so i take back what I said.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline Vundu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 11:36:59 PM »
I hope they increase the amount of images in the articles, they are a bit sparse so far.
There are a lot scarier things than you, and I'm one of them!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »
Usually the AP only has 1 or 2 images for their stories (at least for the ones that get picked up by other reports). It's not Nintendo's fault.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 07:31:34 AM »
Hm, the announcement on NoE's website has a picture showing the news channel (but with a different logo than I get on my Wii) and the channel below it shows the Super Mario World or Super Mario Kart title (only the multicolored Super is visible).

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
...the channel below it shows the Super Mario World or Super Mario Kart title (only the multicolored Super is visible).

It's from Super Mario World, the Kart logo was metallic on the title screen.

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
Yes but SMW has a wooden frame... Perhaps they edited it out to make the screen bigger?