Author Topic: System Update  (Read 84046 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
System Update
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
I just logged into the shopping channel at 8pm mountain standard time and was told with a prompt to do a system update and then log back into the shopping channel. I was really excited because I thought maybe they released Opera but to my disappointment, I can't see any differences at all. Anybody know what was changed?
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE: System Update
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
I got the update too, it still says ver. 2.0U in the Wii settings

It's probley something in the background that you don't see, like processing of Wii Points when you buy them.  I know for some reason there was a mistake when I bought Wii points and I was charged twice for points I did not buy, and for the mistake, Nintendo credited my account 1000 Wii points and refunded me my money
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »
Also they still have the SD card problems of not being able to copy games, saves etc to an SD card for backup.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:System Update
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »
After the update, my Wii said that parental controls were now availible. I never tried to use them before, but I was under the assumption that they already worked. Why the shopping channel would want me to update something like that I don't know.
Thanks for listening.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:42:04 PM »

After the update, my Wii said that parental controls were now availible.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I think each Wii update may give you general "tip" that doesn't have anything to do with the update itself, but I'm not sure.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 02:46:19 PM »
I remember it saying that last week when I got my first update with it, I'm guessing it had nothing to do with that
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »
I've been running 2.0U since November 19th (it's the version my Wii updated to when I first set-up the system and downloaded software updates). Weird.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:14:44 PM »
I got the message about the update.  Perhaps the update is the big surprise Reggie said we'd get.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »
Reggie ordered that all of our systems have a backdoor so he can steal our information, corrupt our files, and plastered his Mii across all Mii Plazas.  
Thanks for listening.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »
It's Newsbot.  He's final making his play for domination.  Sleep loaded tonight folks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kosto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 05:18:29 PM »
Did you guys notice the spelling error on there? lmao it says "... When you return to the Wii Shop Channnel, you will ..."

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:39:52 PM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar
Reggie ordered that all of our systems have a backdoor so he can steal our information, corrupt our files, and plastered his Mii across all Mii Plazas.

Oh my God he wasn't kidding when he said "I'm about kicking ass and taking names", who knew he was literally gonna take our names!

Offline armedalliance

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »
It would be cool if Nintendo sent you some wii-mail either prior or after things like this, or when new games were released in the shop. Would look a bit more professional. I mean it wouldn't be that hard, lol, just have people sign up for a newsletter and enter their e-mail Wii #'s and Nintendo could easily just send it out to all those wii-mails to inform on pretty much everything we want :P

Plus it would just look nice on their behalf.

Anyways, I'll speculate that maybe there was probably an issue with the wii shop that didn't properly check or use the parental lock (maybe they're trying to/have  put in something so that you can't buy anything while the parental lock is on? Dunno... doesn't matter either way, nothing critical done really regardless I'm sure.

And haha, you know it's only a matter of time before Reggie'll release his wii friend code to the masses and then EVERYONE's gonna want his Mii :P (and unless he has a different method for allowing that sort of thing or an unreleased update to accomodate more Wii #'s you know those spots would be extremely limited)

Offline bmmontfort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:19 PM »
What I would like to see from an update is this: Support for the clasic controler for gamecube games. + a way to move my gamecube game saves to the internal memory

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 01:08:27 AM »
Interestingly, this update did something odd to my Wii, but only for a few minutes late last night. I had just gotten off the Shop Channel to play a Virtual Console game, then I hopped right back on Shop. It told me to do the update thing and I got all excited about the Internet possibility. I updated and got on shop again. Black screen.       And more black screen. No Remote response.  Okay. Well I'll just make a sandwich. One sandwich later and... black screen.

So I reset the system and tried again. And again. Black screen. Reset. Um... try ystem update? To my surprise there was one already. I got all excited again, downloaded, and went to the Shop Channel. It was right back to the normal way, just like you guys said. I assumed at the time that they had been trying to do something cool, but messed up and just put the old system files back on for me until they figured it out. So it's possible that you downloaded exactly what you already had. Probably not, but maybe.

Nintendo needs to quality check more before they brick my channels.  
zzz...

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 03:18:57 AM »
I like the idea of a wiimail message sent by nintendo after an update with the update particulars. I kinda feel cheated when I get an update and I don't even know what it was for.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 03:40:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Dozy Boy
Interestingly, this update did something odd to my Wii, but only for a few minutes late last night. I had just gotten off the Shop Channel to play a Virtual Console game, then I hopped right back on Shop. It told me to do the update thing and I got all excited about the Internet possibility. I updated and got on shop again. Black screen.       And more black screen. No Remote response.  Okay. Well I'll just make a sandwich. One sandwich later and... black screen.

So I reset the system and tried again. And again. Black screen. Reset. Um... try ystem update? To my surprise there was one already. I got all excited again, downloaded, and went to the Shop Channel. It was right back to the normal way, just like you guys said. I assumed at the time that they had been trying to do something cool, but messed up and just put the old system files back on for me until they figured it out. So it's possible that you downloaded exactly what you already had. Probably not, but maybe.

Nintendo needs to quality check more before they brick my channels.

I got the black screen too when it told me to go back and update.  I couldn't do anything but power off.  After a few seconds of being scared after turning the power back on and still no response, the familiar health and safety thing came back on.  Phew!  I don't know what that was about.

One thing I just noticed yesterday (though I think it was before the update) - have the blank Wii Channel spaces always had that slight "snow" effect?  I don't remember seeing it before yesterday, and I've been playing the Wii every day since launch...

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 04:21:14 AM »
You know, Nintendo really should have a blog somewhere where the developers of the system patches can keep the fans aprised of future updates, when certain patches will be expected to arrive, etc.

It sure would be a lot more friendlier than a corporate e-mail every six months.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
3.0U SUCKAS!! (Should I have made a new thread?) Digital Clock is a Halo kiler. CONFIRMED.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:33:26 PM »
Digital clock!?!?!!

Must check out wii!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
Why must I be away from my Wii?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 07:46:49 PM »
Also!

You can now organize your roster in the Wii Friends List!  GREAT!  Finally.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 07:54:26 PM »
Downloading very slowly for me. I blame the stupid Super Scope I bought. By just being in my house, it is ruining everything.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »
The download was extremely slow for me as well Adrock.

Other noticeable difference: The bottom bar of the Wii's menu system is a darker gray than before. Also (correct me if I am wrong) scrolling screens now just moves the upper half of the Wii menu and the now darker gray area remains where it is. Subtle difference.

Also when you access your address book it shows your Wii Number page first (it used to open to the first page by default, I found it confusing to find my Wii number because of that haha).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Also again!  This is even better!

The Wii Shop Channel just got a heck of a lot more organized.  You can now search by typing in the game name (partial name, too), and you can also search by what's being downloaded the most, AND there's a new "Recommended Games" option, too!

Way to go, Ninty!  I like this update very much so.  
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!