Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

I sent a letter to nintendo europe...

<< < (2/3) > >>

alexzman:
It was more or less a fine for limiting the amount of consoles going into Europe to keep the price (and demand) up. Nintendo only suggests a price. That's why you hear something like, "... for a suggested retail price of...". In theory a store could only charge .99 cents for all games, but it would be the retailers loss, not Nintendo's.

I belive Nintendo, and other console makers, don't see Europe and Australia as key places for a console to become succesful. Most of their attention gets put on Japan and North America, since we make up 4/5 of video game sales. And also, in Europe games must be translated into multiple languages more the diverse countries in Europe. It's easy for Japan and NA, it's just Japanese and English (occasionaly Spanish), respectively.

baberg:

Originally posted by: Kai
Originally posted by: baberg
A few questions and comments:

- Nintendo doesn't control the price of games, retailers do.
--- End quote ---
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/27848.html

"Nintendo and several of its distributors have been hit by the European Commission for total fines of €167.8 million for "colluding to prevent trade in low-priced products."
--- End quote ---
Now that's a horse of a different color.  In that case, Nintendo was severely limiting the amount of games provided to retailers, and threatening to cut their supply off completely if they complained about it.  There, Nintendo was controlling the retailers with threats and, while it's poor business practice and illegal, the retailers were bullied into charging more than necessary.  The retailers still had control over the price, but nobody exercised that control.  Again, it's a different situation

So yes, Nintendo was/is controlling the price, but it's being done indirectly.  Directly, retailers still sell for whatever price they choose; a primary example is Best Buy in the US selling Beach Spikers for $9.99, while other locations still sell for $49.99.    
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/29186.html

"Nintendo has been widely criticised for its failure to bring key titles to Europe until months after their release in the USA, and much of the dismal performance of the GameCube over Christmas in Europe was attributed to the lack of hit titles such as Metroid Prime and Resident Evil Zero, which drove sales of the console in the USA. The ability to easily import such titles may hurt retail sales of GameCube software in the UK even further. "
--- End quote ---
This reads more like an editorial than a news story.  The Freeloader ships to the UK, and the author (a website no less) begins speaking of the horrible selection of Gamecube games.  Show me a story with numbers supporting this position, and I'll change my mind.  Statistics on the number of games imported to Europe from other regions would be nice.  
We have made it clear that we would be happy to play the US version [of Animal Crossing], with no further changes made, and no e-reader support. Yet Nintendo decide on the basis of US sales not to release it in places where, fwiw, I think it would do very well.
--- End quote ---
Not to be condescending, but how have you "made it clear"?  Have you written letters to Nintendo of Europe declaring your interest in it?  Have you signed petitions (not online ones) stating your support for the title?  Have you called and spoken to Nintendo representatives about your interest in the title?  

If you have, then I apologize again for my condescending attitude, but it's been my experience that the most anybody (including myself) will do when they want a game is talk online about it.

nolimit19:
nintendo should stop having the retailers sell games for them, and open up their own chain of stores....kind of like apple. they could make more money that way, and u could always be guarrented certain games. they should rent games as well so we would have to rely on the crappy blockbuster. it would be so much more efficient, and nintendo would make more money.

Infernal Monkey:
Wow, very well written Rory C.
I enjoyed every word in that letter, and I agree 100%. I too, fail to see why it's taken Nintendo so long to convert Metroid Prime. Splinter Cell was released in the same time frame in the US, yet it appeared on European (Even Australian) shelves a mere four weeks later, fully translated into different languages, and this too is a text heavy game.

I really wish Nintendo would take their fans seriously. It's almost like they're laughing at us because we don't live in the USA.

Plus, I'm still sore over the whole Animal Crossing issue. Sure, Nintendo still have it on their Australian release list for this year, but... Why? The sequel is around the corner for the rest of the world. First they promised us Doshin the Giant instead of Animal Crossing, but we didn't get that either. Now there are rumours going around that Nintendo think the European audience won't enjoy the odd gameplay featured in AC. Yeah Nintendo, take a gander over at the sales of The Sims on PC (Even PS2) in Europe. See all the big numbers? Wow, maybe some of us do enjoy Life sims! Shock!. Besides, Sony themselves have learnt that we DO enjoy strange gameplay. That's why they converted Vib Ribbon and Klonoa: Volleyball on PSOne here. You won't find them in the US...

Kai:
Edit/deleted double post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version