Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Phantasy Star Online: XBOX Version.

(1/2) > >>

nitsu niflheim:
Really liking the new forum.

To play this game on the Xbox, offline or online you will have to have a valid Xbox Live account.
Another thing of note: players in North American using the NA version will not be able to connect to players from other regions. The game will sell for a discounted price of $39.99, come with 60 days of free online play. After the 60 day trial period, players wanting to play the game over Xbox Live will have to pay 8.95 a month.

* gamespot.com

Matt:
The 60 day period seems pretty good, 2x as long as GCN.

But 8.95 a month and you need Live too?

What's with that, I think the cost of Live alone should be enough.

RickPowers:
I hate to say it, but that's going to be pretty standard for MMORPGs on Xbox Live.  Live is your key to the service, and most games let you play peer-to-peer (using one Xbox as the "server").  MMORPGs, however, need a huge mass of central servers, and they need to keep those servers running.  That's what the extra fees are for.

Now, if they can just roll that into what you're paying for Live when Live goes monthly, that would be more convenient.  I don't think that will happen, though.

baberg:
About the only drawback to the pricing of PSO is that, even if you plan to never play it online, an Xbox Live subscription is still necessary.  I realize why they did this - Microsoft is probably picking up part of the cost of PSO in order to make it look more appealing on the Xbox than the Gamecube.  And, to make up the difference, Live is being used.  Not a terrible business strategy, as most of the Xbox owners are already on Xbox Live.

But there's plenty of fun to be had offline...  I couldn't find anything about Xbox offline multiplayer.  Does the Xbox version let 4 people play split-screen?  

LMSx:
All about the options. But being required to buy Xbox Live? Ouch. If you don't already have it, the game costs 80 dollars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version