Author Topic: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...  (Read 44251 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
tl;dr

Going to see it again tomorrow, my daughter wants to see it now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
I'm going to read the rest of the thread but I'm going ahead and putting my thoughts here.  The more I think about it the more I have to say it was ok.  I would have enjoyed spending the time I used to watch this movie catching up on Clone Wars.  This movie felt to much like a checkbox checking adventure flick.  I think making a Death Planet was a terrible move.  Plus how can you say that you are keeping watch on someone when they can extinguish a star and build a planet sized weapon without you knowing it and it has already happened twice in your lifetime?  Don't like the darker palette.  Felt Phasm was useless.  For all you know she is a transgender male.  Felt Darth Emo was a winy brat not a villain.  Fin who was suppose to be trained as a Storm Trooper since he can remember is frankly terrible and incompetent at it.  It felt a lot like a Dr.Who episode without the Doctor or companion.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
I was very pleased with Ben Solo/Kylo Ren since I am a Jason Solo/Darth Cedaeus fan. I really think it will turn out that he chose to go to the dark side to 'save' Luke/everyone. That is why he keeps struggling with the light side (who does that, seriously?). My only disappointment was the final duel.

Kylo should have been a better swordsman and Rey was more good at that and force powers than she should have been. It was the one thing I was truly disappointed in with the movie.

Other, lesser negatives were the length of the movie and the "check list" feel of hitting OT plot points. I was able to predict a few things because of the feel and I kept checking my watch because I was worried it would end too soon and there was no sign of Luke (the opposite feeling from my Hobbit cinema experiences as I felt that should have been one, maybe two films tops).

All in all I am pleased with it, though not as gung-ho as some people are. It has restored my faith in the series and has bme excited for the subsequent films. Now hopefully they can maintain the momentum.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
I really liked the lightsaber duel. It wasn't as clean as the prequel duels which after subsequent viewings, look pretty bad (the vast majority of the time, they attack the lightsaber not body parts). The movie made a point to show Rey having some experience fighting using her staff and Kylo Ren being injured and having limited knowledge with a lightsaber. It has a very rough design and he was more reckless with it than anything as shown with his outbursts. It is also known that his training was never complete. Supreme Leader Snoke flat out says this. More importantly, the entire plot revolves around Kylo Ren killing all of Luke's padowans which also means Kylo Ren never completed his Jedi training with Luke. While we don't know if Supreme Leader Snoke showed him anything, we know he hasn't had much experience training with anyone else since causing Luke to go into exile.

All that said, I thought the duel was fair and the outcome believable. Rey spends most of it running away and Kylo Ren was only getting weaker from his injuries. He doesn't have the patience of a Jedi and aggression would only get him so far, but I think that's the point. The Dark Side of the Force is never really supposed to prevail in the end.

As for Rey, the impression I got was that she was always kind of using The Force without really understanding it, like Anakin did as a child on Tatooine. That's partially how she survived so long on Jakku, along with being smart and resourceful. I didn't mind her using The Force because The Force awakening within her is the point of the movie, and there was a ton of build up to that. I totally geeked out when she Force pulls Anakin's lightsaber from the snow while Kylo Ren flinches and recoils.

The only thing that could have made The Force Awakening better is if there was more Poe Dameron, but I understand why he was MIA for most of the movie. We know he's awesome. Leia considers him her best pilot and he pretty much owned the few scenes he was in before he "died." He'll have his shot in Episode VIII.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »
Good points and it helps me accept things as they have been. Though more than the lightsaber duel, I was bothered by the mind trick being used by Rey. I think it would have been perfect if she tried it, the trooper acted like he was tricked, only to pull off the mask and see Finn under it in a rescue scene. The fact that shortly after she meets up with the others makes it feel like this would have been a better, and potentially funnier, way to play out the break out scene.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:34:33 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 02:11:25 PM »
There was a part early on in the film where General Hux was sorta bathed in blue light and I was just thinking, I wonder if this is some sort of nod to Thrawn.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
Thrawn is next on my list of characters I hope to see in some fashion.

My top list of hopeful appearances and re-imaginings:

Jason Solo/ Darth Ceadeus
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Corran Horn or Kyle Katarn (some other experienced Jedi, surely someone is still alive from Luke's padawans)
Wedge Antilles
Lando Calrissian
Boba Fett
My Game Collection

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
I would think that both Wegde and Lando we're with the Republic Fleet that was inconspicuously absent from this film.(I mean the fleet and not the guys). Jacen Solo = Ben Solo or so I would think.

I'm going to see this one more time (at least) before it leaves the theater. Does anybody else feel the movie was too perfect and by the numbers?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:08:31 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
I don't get what everyone sees in this movie.  For the price of theaters now there is nothing in it that I feel couldn't be delivered on in a good home system.  Now Pacific Rim on the other hand if you didn't see that in theaters you are missing an experience your just not getting at home.

I just don't like how the Force was portrayed in this movie.  Kylo stopped a blaster shot and let it hang like it was nothing.  An Experienced Jedi with Apprentice gets massacred by an unexperience apprentice.  Surely Luke could have stopped the blasters as well.  Felt the force wasn't really where it had been in all the other TV and Movie.  Then Rey being able to use the Mind Trick right out of the gate.  That particular one is suppose to require honing.  It be something else if she forced push or pull.  That is one of the first things to manifest.

I'll see the other movies but I'm not spending $50 like I did on this one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:27 PM »
So, I'm going to write out my long impressions.

Going into the movie I was floating around the Kylo Ren is Luke theory. I independently came to this theory before the internet swooped it up.

A few things set me towards this theory:
-The voice over of Kylo Ren sounded like they had just deepened Mark Hamil's Voice
-Luke was absent from the poster
-he went to strike his father on the emperor's request(a few lines from the first trilogy set him up to just continually join the dark side)
-who else would have Darth Vader's mask?

Now in the end that wasn't the case, but I feel like that was an active and purposeful red herring, at least for 1/3 of the movie. I had though, largely discounted that theory before watching the movie. I saw an interview with Adam Driver and he just sounds a lot like Mark Hamil.

At the beginning Kylo Ren is really trying to remove his history. That I find is a pretty interesting motivation. One Luke would take if he wanted to really descend into the Dark Side.

But then we find out Kylo Ren is Ben Solo, Leia and Han's kid. So, that is thrown out the window. But it is nice to know is they eventually got somewhere in their relationship and fucked. That would have been a let down if they never did. I think that if you actually were into the Luke going to the dark side theory that would make Kylo Ren's character more interesting. I like to take characters and break down their motivation. Interesting fact. Harrison Ford's oldest son is named Ben. It isn't just a Ben Kenobi thing. Ben also means "son of" So Ben Solo is Son of Solo.

and more on Kylo Ren. How dark is he?  He is the grandson of Darth Vader and the son of a notorious smuggler with questionable morals. He got trained with the force and **** went wrong. What type of crazy dark genes does he carry. I liked the scene when he threw a tantrum and started tearing up equipment. The storm troopers reaction of "...NOPE" was classic. I think he will work out in the long run in the series. His character has room to grow. He is not a fully formed being. He is a lot like his grandfather. Young Anakin was emo, Vader was calculating. Kylo Ren committed patricide, will he commit matricide?

Finn. What's not to like about Finn? His whole intro with the blood stained helmet was great. There's Blood in Star Wars!?(well, there was in the cantina) But the whole smeared blood thing is great. It was nice to see. I had this weird feeling Finn will turn on everyone though. That might be the shock in the sequel. The long con. He would have to fool everyone, even feigning being scared the entire time. Don't throw any holy water at that vampire, its not likely to come to the light.

Rey. Rey does a lot of climbing. I see everyone's biggest gripe with Rey is she used the force and there was no exposition explaining how she got to be a force user. Well, It's a mystery. Lets save that for Episode VIII. Also, the Jedi Mind trick..it took her like four times. She didn't master that immediately. Master Yoda say's the problem with Luke was he didn't believe enough in the force. Rey better well have believed in the force after that mind probe attempt. That type of exposure could be enough to make her mind go "oh!" even without the exposition.

Now the biggest talk with Rey is her lineage. In the Star Wars universe you don't have to have 2 parents. That was kind of lame on Phantom Menace(pulling the Jesus thing), but that could come back. Most likely She is Luke or possibly Obi Wan's daughter. Maybe Luke came to investigate her on his Star Trek to find force users. Qui-gon picked up on Anakin right away.

BB8 He's a robot kitty. Very good.

Overall Plot- Safe, but well done.

Maz Kanata - Didn't care for it. They wanted to make a new cantina scene. But it slowed the picture the hell down.

Hux and the First Order of Doom- I don't have a problem with the First Order, or Hux. The Empire are Nazis, the first order are Neo Nazis. Neo Nazis are clowns. They built another Death Star? Really? That didn't work the other times. Now people say this is stupid, but they've missed the point. The first order are crazy. They also are kind of stupid. It is their character flaw. They are trying to rebuild something that wasn't all that great to begin with. Who would do that? Neo Nazis. They are a bunch of posers. Don't get me wrong, sometimes posers are just as dangerous, if not more so. "It all doesn't make sense". People don't always have high levels of sense. Like when that dumb chick goes upstairs in the slasher movie.

Also, I sat in the worst possible place in the theaters. I watched it on Imax 3d. Unfortunately I got a terrible seat and nobody was moving. I waited 3 days too, and it was still packed. I ended up Front Row Left. It to some extant took me out of the movie, but then the movie won me back.  I didn't have a good view of the battle on Jakku at the beginning. And I sure as **** didn't see him stop that laser beam.

I was deep in with the tethered TIE fighter. The movie just continually amused me from that point on. I didn't find any huge plot holes like I normally find in movies.

Yes there was a lack of exposition in it. I was OK with that. It wasn't like the Martian. I read the Martian, and I just watched the movie. How the **** are people who haven't read the book supposed to know what is going on? This was different. It was more like "you'll find out next time, wait till they get to the island"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:46:32 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
I watched it today, didn't like big parts of it. Han Solo being killed off by his bratty son, the villain throwing temper tantrums, Jakuu being a carbon copy of Tatooine, half of Fin's dialog sounding like it belonged in a different movie.

Rey was great, I liked seeing Admiral Akbar, Everything with the space ships was well done, all the action scenes including the light saber battles were really good too.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »
I actually thought that was a different Mon Calamari as they did not age the character at all. I know certain alien species age at different rates to humans, but I would have liked to have seen little nods to the fact these alien characters are 30 years older. Maybe a tuft of grey hair on Chewbacca, or some wrinkling/discoloring on Akbar's face. Just felt like they were more worried about changing the non-aging droid characters (3PO's arm) than the aging alien ones.

I actually liked the tantrums Kylo had. Too many of the Sith characters are overly cool, confident, calculated and collected when a big part of the dark side is the anger and rage. Nice to see a bit of that, just don't over do it going forward.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 10:02:17 PM »
I also was thinking about how Jakku is similar to tatoine...

What if Jakku was Tatoine? Like how Burma is Myanmar, and Zaire is Congo. Tatoine could have been it's empire name, and when the empire collapsed they went back to the other name.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »
I don't think Kylo Ren would call it anything other than Tatooine if it was the same place. Also, there weren't two suns. Maybe they could have age Akbar or Chewbacca, but there was no difference between Episode 3 Chewbacca and any other version of him, so he probably ages very slowly. Maz Kanata is over 1000 years old, Yoda was 900 years old when he died, etc. Maybe Chewbacca has aged a bit, just their hair doesn't change like a dog's would. After all, he did get hit in the Guavian Death Gang/Kanjaklub scene.

Now to a certain theory I saw on YouTube - being that Snoke is Darth Plagueis - that could be very interesting if true. If so, and he has the ability to stop people from dying (as Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious/The Emperor tells Anakin), then perhaps episode 8 or 9 could even see the return of Darth Vader or even Han Solo? Doubtful, but you never know.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
Chewbacca is bulkier than he used to be. Han aged.

I never got any confirmation that was admiral Akbar in the movie. I was wondering if it was him, or just another of the same species.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:46 PM »
By the way, I've seen it four times now. My daughter (who previously "hated" Star Wars) wanted to see it, and now she wants Star Wars toys for her birthday. So proud.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 02:01:23 AM »
By the way, I've seen it four times now. My daughter (who previously "hated" Star Wars) wanted to see it, and now she wants Star Wars toys for her birthday. So proud.

You're doing the Lord's work my son, good job!

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »

You're doing the Lord's work my son, good job!

Star Wars The Force Awakens just crushed Titanic and it only took two fucking weeks to do it. Avatar is going down next. By the end of this run, the whole world will have seen the movie so I think the franchise is safe for a few more years. Also I am sure Disney is not looking so stupid for that $4 billion bargain they got this franchise for now.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
It's Star Wars. I don't think it was ever not safe. The prequels, despite their dubious quality, only made Star Wars more popular.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
So I saw it last night.  You ever observe a fan talking about their dream sequel to a videogame and they then proceed to list nothing but the same exact stuff that has already appeared in earlier games?  That's this movie.  JJ Abrams is the geeky fan who can't seem to think of anything but rehashing everything he liked about the original film.

Bad guy in a black cloak and mask with an evil army at his command is looking for a droid with important information on it that narrowly escaped a massacre and is found by somebody on a desert planet.  This person then proceeds to meet up with some famed hero from the past, who later dies while they watch helplessly and while all this happening the good guy army is trying to destroy the bad guy army's super weapon that can destroy whole planets.  Which fucking movie am I describing?  Episode IV or VII?

I found the prequels really bad but this was just pretty boring.  My interest picked up a lot when they did something different that had not been done by the original film.  The whole backstory about Luke trying to train Jedi and it all blowing up in his face sounds really cool.  I want to know more and the last scene of the movie was great!  That basic plot of a race between the good guys and bad guys to find Luke Skywalker is awesome and if the film stuck to that and I didn't throw in this Death-Star-in-all-but-name stuff into it the film might have come across as contributing something new to the Star Wars canon.  Instead it's a rehash to please the boring type of fan who just wants to see the same bullshit they already know.  It's the NSMB of Star Wars.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »
The Force Awakens was essentially a remake of A New Hope which itself borrowed from films like The Hidden Fortress. The Force Awakens hit all of the same story beats except it wasn't boring mainly due to having much better pacing. A New Hope has long stretches of nothing. It's very much a product of its time, and while I can appreciate its contribution to film as a whole, I have a hard time rewatching it. The only one that really stands out is The Empire Strikes Back. I can go back to it and still enjoy it. Obviously, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan so my opinion probably doesn't jive with the more diehard type.

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:07 PM »
The film just passed Avatar for highest grossing movie of all time in North America. It is about to open in China this weekend and is not too far behind world wide gross. I have only seen it three times and I plan on going back again.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
The Movie was great, but Very similar to the first movie in  the original trilogy. Why?
Because of the prequels they were playing it safe and going back to basic's and leading up to new ideas in the next two films, that's what i hope anyway.

Han dying was a very emotional scene, and i quite liked the new Stormtrooper character (i'll learn they're names eventually) and ren's light saber is bad ass!

Was there a final scene at the end of the credits? Didn't get to see it if there was! (plz tell)
Made you look ****.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
Saw it with my wife.  She was a huge Star Wars fan growing up and I was more of a Trekkie. Both of us came away with the same sentiment--"good, not great".  Plot holes abound, and, despite good character concepts, the movie moved too quickly to fully develop them.

As a Star Trek fan, I am also a little pissed that the Jedi mind trick thing turned into the Vulcan mind meld.  I get the sense that Abrams was like "hey, remember that cool mind meld we did in Star Trek? Well,....I bet Jedi could totally do that too!"  But, whatever.

My favorite part of the movie, by far, was BB-8.  Awesome design.