Author Topic: Music  (Read 49011 times)

Offline Mysticspike

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
Music
« on: February 16, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
I thought i'd start this thread because i love music depending on what kind. so i want to ask all of you want kind of music you like, and your favorite band, and stuff. so tell me about music!

my favorite band is SOAD (system of a down)
i also like metallica, and other metal
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Music
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »
your avatar is too big and it appears to be stolen from another site again
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
RE:Music
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »
it's gone now i will have it go through my myspace
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I like Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre, 2-1-3, Dogg Pound, nate Dogg, Kurupt the Kingpin, Dat Nigga Daz Dillinger, Suge Knight, 2pac, Digital Underground, The Game, NWA, Xzibit, NAS, The Lox, Jay-Z (everything before the bluprint) Boogie Down Productions, KRS-One, Beastie Boys, No doubt, Garbage, Lindsay Lohan, Def Leppard, KISS, Helen reddy, Earth Wind and Fire, Parlamaint, P-Funk, The Offspring, Gwen Stefani, Da Brat, TLC (god damit left eye!), Stevie B, Miami Sound Machine, Metallica, Method Man, Wu Tang Clan, Arrested Development, John Williams, Oingo Boingo, Danny Elfman, THE RAT, DJ Serial Killa, Young Gotti, Red man, Busta Rhyme, Coolio, Tag Team, Hammer, Cypress Hill, and Eefiel 65.

My favorites are garbage, offspring, Lindsay, 2-1-3, Digital Underground, and The Dogg Pound.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 06:13:59 AM »
hey, did you say xzibit from pimp my ride? i love that show it rocks. you also said eifel 65.. they are awsome too. love them. i have the europop cd of them.

AHA!!!! Arrested Development.... I LOVE THAT SHOW!! to bad it's over, though. it was so funny, but the longer it went on it got sooo wierd. i mean, george micheal, and maybee trying to marry and make out? that was so wierd, but that is my favorite show i'll never forget it.

Offline ViewtifulJoe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »
MFDOOM aka Metalfingers aka madvillany aka kmd aka metalface, blackalicious, outcast, little brother, the roots, the killers, wu-tang modest mouse, red hot chile peppers, three 6 mafia, gnarls barkly, common, kanye west, mike jones, paul wall, NAS, cage, blue scholars common market, and coldcut

JOHN BROWN from the white rapper show    

HOLLELUA HOLLA BACK........GHETTO REVIVAL BABY  
RIP TOOKIE WILLIAMS

Wii code 1015 8909 0976 9531

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
I was talking about Arrested Developpment the *band*, never heard of the show.
Xzibit isn't on of the best rappers out there but he is high up on my list.

You can call me

Offline ViewtifulJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »
I like xzibits gang strong arm steady
RIP TOOKIE WILLIAMS

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 11:53:56 AM »

Originally posted by: mysticspike

They used to be my favorite, but Mezmerize and Hypnotize really let me down. Any type of Rock(including Metal) is really my thing, generally speaking.

<--- If your favorite band is SoaD you should understand the relevance of my account name.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
cool, same music preferances here.
i just listen and like soad, i don't know anything about them like their names or anything.
so is Mr. Jack like one of their names, or something?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 02:47:06 AM »

cool, same music preferances here.
i just listen and like soad, i don't know anything about them like their names or anything.
so is Mr. Jack like one of their names, or something?

It's the name of the 7th song on Steal This Album! their 3rd CD (technically just a compilation disc of songs that didn't fit on their self-titled album or Toxicity).  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 03:01:45 AM »
I can't believe segagamer and I have the same favorite band...

Anyway, I like what Billboard calls 'Modern Rock,' since the name 'Alternative Rock' no longer applies.  I like a little bit of everything though, and some of the artists I like play a variety of genres.

My favorite artists are: Garbage, Blondie, Franz Ferdinand, and U2.
Other artists I enjoy include: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, 311, No Doubt, Bright Eyes, Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Peaches, Abba, The White Stripes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Hard-Fi.

Fun fact: I have a Garbage collection that includes about 200 items worth around $4,000
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 05:34:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

They used to be my favorite, but Mezmerize and Hypnotize really let me down. Any type of Rock(including Metal) is really my thing, generally speaking.

<--- If your favorite band is SoaD you should understand the relevance of my account name.

I was wondering about that, that's an awesome song.

I used to like SOAD a lot, even after Hypnotize and Mezmerize, I don't know why people don't like those two CD's for me they represent a new/old SOAD, a lot of the music itself is of the "old" style, whereas the duet style to the singing is the "new" style. Anyway, I said used to, and it's because I saw them at Ozzfest and they were really disappointing, a lot of the screams in the songs he just laughed over, or did something else, it was like it was a big joke or something. They played well for the most part, but they were shown up by Disturbed, and SOAD was headlining.

I like Metal mostly, but TOOL is my favorite, there aren't too many good bands out there IMO in any genre of music, I also like rap but mostly the older stuff, every now and again someone puts out a good rap song, like "The-ReUp" Eminem and 50 Cent.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
not much of a fan of rap but i do like Eminem, and for some reason as a little kid i used to like the Regulators, anyways.....

my favs are:  MxPx, Blondie, Beatles, Red Hot Chilipeppers, The Offspring, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, NOFX, Billy Talent, Goldfinger, Rancid, and The Pillows.  <------u get a cookie if u know the last group and where they got their fame from.

Oh almost forgot Koji Kondo (Zelda fame), and Yasunori Mitsuda (ChronoTrigger fame).

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 06:42:24 AM »
Well if it makes you feel anybetter I do like U2 a lot and Blindie some songs, but I HATE SOAD with a passion so you can still dislike my taste.

I also can't stand eminem. Never did like him. I *did* like his Marshal Mathers LP but for reasons I cant explain here. I havent likeed anything else he has done and since I no longer listen to any of the hardcore rap I dont keep up any more anyways. I tried gettign into christian rap but, even as a christian I thought it was too weak and wasnt worth much to me.

I actually go back and forth a lot on the rock/rap stuff but my true love is techno and G-Funk ere rap music. Nothing sounds as sweet to me as The Chronic or All Eyez On me. Those are my two all time favorite albums. NOT counting Doggystyle which *IS* my alltime favorite rap album.

HEY nobody mentioned DJ Serial Killa, or The Rat, my second album was way better than my first. I migth even make a new one just for fun but not try and sell it at all.

The only bands I absolutley *HATE* and its mostly just random reasons, are Green Day, SOAD, Marylin Manson (although I did like a couple songs back in the day), and Bink 182. Those are all the bands I just can't listen to no matter how much I try, I even used to like GD but not anymore.

Oh well looks liek this got too bug again sorry just rambling on and on like ususaly...  
You can call me

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 06:54:46 AM »
we had a thread like this not too long ago but here goes....

The Cure (hence my avatar and username)
Depeche Mode                     New Order                     Modest Mouse
Covenant                             Apoptygma Berzerk       Bella Morte
The Police                            VNV Nation                     Bloc Party
Postal Service                      She Wants Revenge      Weezer
Blink182                               Angels and Airwaves     Plus44
Head Automatica                  Rock Kills Kid                 The Smiths
Morissey                               A Fire Inside                  All
Descendents                        Bad Religion                  Misfits
Ramones                              Clash                            Screaching Weasel
Casualties                            Gin Blossoms                Incubus
Al Di Meola                            The Living End              Mindless Self Indulgence
System of a Down                 Tiger Army                    Iron Maiden
Weird Al                                MC Lars                        Outkast
Greenday                              Dr Dre                           Snoop Doggy Dog (keep it old skool same as dr dre)
Toy Dolls                               Gorillaz                          Violent Femmes
Flaming Lips                         Social Distortion             Mike Ness (solo)
Pennywise                           Rev. Hortan Heat            Anti Flag
Metallica                                Thrice                             Murder By Death
Nirvana                                 Evergreen Terrace         Queens of the Stoneage
From Autumn to Ashes         Danzig                            Transplants
Box Car Racer                      Foo Fighters                    Stereophonics
Killers                                   The Damned                   NOFX
Suicide Machines                 Suicidal Tendancies         The Who
Prince                                   The Beatles                     Johnny Cash
Gym Class Heroes                Franz Ferdinand             The Temptations
Van Halen                             The Pixies                       Horse The Band
The Advantage                     Guns N Roses                 The Network
Chronic Future                      Gob                                 Reggie and the full effect
Bravery                                 Alkaline Trio                    Asian Kung Fu Generation
Sum41                                  Interpol                           FenixTX
The Freeze                            White Stripes                 Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Rise Against                          Joy Division                     The Offspring

and thats without looking at my iPod (also because i dont have one) im sure theres more artist that i just cant recall at the moment but i suppose thats a pretty good list off the top of my head! feel free to hate or praise my taste in music            
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ViewtifulJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 07:21:36 AM »
lol the singer for the cure is kinda a spaz
RIP TOOKIE WILLIAMS

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 07:49:55 AM »
I'm a fan of what's known as "classic rock," although I hate the term.  It's very cliche to be into "classic rock" nowadays.  Anyway my favorite groups include...

Pink Floyd
Rush
Dire Straits
The Beatles
Daft Punk
and many others
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »

My favorites are garbage.

Got that right.
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Garnee

My favorites are garbage.

Got that right.

LMAO!

I wasn't going to say anything (because I feel music is art, and therefore subject to interpretation, and different forms are appreciated by different people) but then I say Lindsay Lohan... are you kidding? I hate crap like that. For a lot of reasons but the main one is that most "Pop" (what the hell is the real category for people like her, Britney Spears, Mandy Moore, and those kind of performers? Pop means popular and even TOOL has fallen under that category) singers don't have anything to do with the lyrics they are singing? Someone writes the lyrics and they sing them, they aren't artist, they don't create music, all they do is perform, they're like an art gallery, when you go you look at the wall and go "wow it's doing a good job of holding up that Monet".  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »
O.K nevermind

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »
yeah but I only like her for one reasononly, to annoy people.  
You can call me

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
i hate the word pop.....I've always hated it when people started using it with other genres, for example pop-punk bands.  Good Charlotte rings a bell, i still hate the fact that the guy from Goldfinger helped them and if I'm not mistaken Ashlee Simpson too.  I still love Goldfinger tunes but I lost a lot of respect for them because of what they did....

Then again a lot of ppl do write songs and sell them to artists, its very common but still.

Offline ViewtifulJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
i hate artists who try to be pop
RIP TOOKIE WILLIAMS

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »
Well the thing is like I mentioned before, is that "pop" just means popular, if you sell enough albums you're considered pop(ular) because it means that enough people to say something about like you. Which is why a lot of actual musicians fall under that banner although they are unique in style.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
wow! this thread suddenly progressed alot. jeez. oh, well the more the better its gonna be a great thread.
so mr jack... havent listend to that song. my favorite songs from soad are chop suey!, sugar, byob, or vicinity of obsinity (hilarious, and random. lol seriously)  

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 12:53:08 AM »
Yeah I like Vicinity of Obscenity a lot also, it's funny, a lot of songs on there last two albums are just that, funny. Like Cigaro "My cock is much bigger than yours! My cock can walk right through that door!" lmao.

I have a Pocket PC that's also a phone, so I can create my own ringtones using Audacity (I forgot who turned me on to this program, but it was someone on these boards, so thanks) and I used the part from Vicinity of Obscenity where he just keeps screaming "Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Terracotta Pie!!" It's great to see peoples reactions when someone calls me, and I have that set as default, I have a lot of different ones, but that's one of the most shocking to people.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 03:54:22 AM »

Originally posted by: MaryJane
Yeah I like Vicinity of Obscenity a lot also, it's funny, a lot of songs on there last two albums are just that, funny. Like Cigaro "My cock is much bigger than yours! My cock can walk right through that door!" lmao.

I have a Pocket PC that's also a phone, so I can create my own ringtones using Audacity (I forgot who turned me on to this program, but it was someone on these boards, so thanks) and I used the part from Vicinity of Obscenity where he just keeps screaming "Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Terracotta Pie!!" It's great to see peoples reactions when someone calls me, and I have that set as default, I have a lot of different ones, but that's one of the most shocking to people.

LOL. That song is great, probably my favorite off Hypnotize with the greatest sexual references ever. I can just imagine that ringtone, if I could do that wth my phone, I most likely would. Or I would use Banana Phone by Raffi, that song rules.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
I like rock music from about 1962-1996 and there's a bit of 50's stuff that is pretty decent too though I personally don't own any albums from that era.  So I guess it would be from British invasion to Britpop and nearly everything in between that could be categorized as a sub-genre of rock like punk or metal.  There are of course the odd songs here or there in other genres.

I like songs that have catchy melodies and hooks.  A song needs something I can grab onto.  It doesn't have to be super-slick and polished like a pop song (in fact I find that often makes a song boring and generic).  I can be dirty, raw, edgy or heavy.  It just needs to sound like a tune.

One thing that has made it hard for me to get into music after 1996 is that a lot of rock these days sounds generic.  It just sounds like sound without anything that leaps out and grabs my attention.  It sounds boring.  I think part of it is the production a lot of albums have these days.  They want to be heavy but not too heavy because that's not as pop friendly so you just get this dull fuzz in the background with the drums mixed too loud.  It's the Nickleback sound and it sucks.

My favourite band is probably Led Zeppelin though my preferences change based on how much I've heard a band lately.  Lately I've been really into The Cure.  I would consider myself a fan of U2 and The Police but the local classic rock station plays them way too much so I really don't have a desire to play their CDs right now.

And in Canada it's the law that a certain percentage of a radio station's playlist be Canadian content.  Thus I'm really f*cking sick of the Tragically Hip and Rush which literally get played at least once an hour on pretty much every rock station.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 05:32:25 AM »
I am sorry If forgot to mention Mutation Invasion. nota bad band either, turned down a lucrative record deal with an up and coming... ok nevermind Ian doesnt like money what can I say.  
You can call me

Offline ViewtifulJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:26 AM »
i just watched the good the bad and the ugly and the music in it rocks
RIP TOOKIE WILLIAMS

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
System of a Down isn't metal. They used to be almost metal-like, now they're full on pop.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »
BTW, Trivium = real music, and Slayer = metal.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
I'm similar to Ian in that I haven't really latched onto (become obsessed with) a band that has been formed (or should I say created ) in this decade. I guess I don't really try that hard to find new bands even though my brother constantly attempts to get me to listen to one of the thousands of bands that he seems to unearth. The only one that has taken my attention for any period of time has been Death Cab for Cutie (and I had a soft spot for them because they opened for Pearl Jam).

When I told my best mate's girlfriend that I had bought three Radiohead CD's in a week and a half, she said to me that I never just like something, especially in relation to music, I either hate it or am obsessed by it. It's pretty true I suppose, the fact that I went to 6 Pearl Jam concerts in November, spending a couple of grand along the way, is proof. (And the fact that I managed to pass my exams which were sandwiched between multiple plane trips and aforementioned gigs is a miracle!)  

Garnee raised the point regarding genre's of music and I agree those terms are for the most part totally ignorant of the music itself. Case in point "grunge" bands were characterised as such by their geographical location (Seattle) and the clothes they wore. The music itself sounds nothing alike in nearly all cases.

Anywayyyy... I would bet that the list (written in non-list form) that I'm about to post would be identical to the one I posted in this thread's ancestor last year (with the addition of Radiohead of course).

Tales of Obsession:

Pearl Jam, hence the username (that any knowledgeable PJ fan can tell is pretty lame), I've seen 9 shows, I own hundreds of boots including a limited edition (1/2000) Benaroya Vinyl, alongside tour posters and other assortments. I had my best ever concert experience on the 22/11 when I was row 2 inbetween Stone and Ed, absolutely magical night and I got some great snaps aswell. Or was it the 26/11 when PJ played an outdoor show at Subiaco and I got to hear In Hiding, or was it...

The Pumpkins and everything else Billy Corgan has done is very special to me. Brilliant records, plus B-sides that are in many cases superior to what was contained in the finalised albums. The fact that they're back together and are playing in Europe this year (so are PJ) has got me tempted to do a big Euro trip.

Jeff Buckley, a story of what could have been. Grace is the ultimate debut record. It is unbelieveably fantastic, Jeff's voice is simply amazing and Sketches for my Sweetheart... while rough and incomplete showed that Grace was only the beginning.

Radiohead, my new love. I bought The Bends on a whim and now the CD is on a constant rotation for me. I can't find a weak track on the album I absolutely love it to bits. Soon after that purchase I was talking to a massive RH fan who told me that if I loved The Bends I would go crazy over OK Computer. I was hesistant to agree, based of the fact that for me The Bends was a no-skip album, I didn't see how it could get better. But I relented and bought OK C. I'm glad I did, the album took maybe two listens to really grab me and now its absolutely essential to my day, I'm sure anyone who's heard Paranoid Android, Lucky or Airbag will agree that it is an amazing listen.

Nirvana - the pinnacle of the band, to me, is the MTV Unplugged performance. Fantastic renditions of Nirvana songs (and no Teen Spirit in sight!) and beautiful covers of such an eclectic selection of artists make this performance something timeless. The transformation of the Meat Puppets’ Lake of Fire, for example, was brilliant.

Guns n' Roses - it's all about Slash! While Axl is a tool, there's no denying that November Rain is a masterpiece. This is a band where I find I dislike quite a few songs, but the one's I love more than make up for it, especially Don’t Cry despite the sad connotations it has for me.

Velvet Revolver - I never expect much out of supergroups (except the Travelling Wilbury's) but VR delivered a substantial debut CD and an action packed live show. Having a chat with Slash afterwards was a bonus!

U2 - So many classic songs. I'm sort of angry at them right now because they rescheduled their Adelaide show creating a clash with a PJ gig in Melbourne and I missed out chose not to go after lining up for tickets for 7 hours a year prior. Songs to me symbolize the moment in time when I first heard them and I have so many events, both happy and sad, attached to U2's songs. For this I thank them, even though it seems as though the music isn't their main focus anymore, not that fighting poverty is a bad focus, but when a band butchers Rockin’ in the Free World like they did for the Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne it makes me a little queasy.

Alice in Chains - duel vocals from Layne and Jerry created so much variety in their music, for example compare Sludge Factory and Down in a Hole. Both lovely tunes, yes, very dark and I must say Nutshell still has the ability to bring a tear to my eye. The statement of extensive variety applies equally to Mad Season (OK, another quality supergroup - albeit lesser known).

Then there are the bands that I was fortunate enough to get into because my father played them constantly while I was growing up. I remember as a kid I had no appreciation of the albums I would later love and admitting to my dad I like them now involves swallowing a bit of pride. But the music makes it all worth it, I reckon I had a pretty lucky musical upbringing. Paul Simon’s Graceland, the previously mentioned Travelling Wilbury’s, Creedence Clearwater Revival, everything The Beatles have ever done, Dire Straits, Crowded House, Neil Young’s After the Gold Rush (which I'm listening to right now) and Roy Orbison are all definite loves.

Phew, all right, all done....
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
well, blackfootsteps, its good to know that some people around here have some juice in their posts, unlike me. oh well, thanks everyone for posting here i didn't think it would be so big! wow

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 06:38:22 PM »
Right now I'm listening to "Call me Call me" by Yoko Kanno. It is quite good.

For a lot of reasons but the main one is that most "Pop" (what the hell is the real category for people like her, Britney Spears, Mandy Moore, and those kind of performers? Pop means popular and even TOOL has fallen under that category) singers don't have anything to do with the lyrics they are singing? Someone writes the lyrics and they sing them, they aren't artist, they don't create music, all they do is perform, they're like an art gallery, when you go you look at the wall and go "wow it's doing a good job of holding up that Monet".

Elvis didn't write his own material. Are you dissing Elvis?

....good. Elvis sucks.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.†- Richard M. Nixon

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 10:03:04 PM »
Alright, I've bided my time long enough with this thread. Time to throw some weight around.

This is the stuff I enjoy listening to currently:

Bad Religion - one of the most influential bands going around. A great mix of catchy punk music (their old stuff is very fast, and their newer stuff is more melodic) and the lyrics are like nothing else I've heard - complex and thought-invoking. Back before being anti-Bush was the in-thing, these guys were writing songs such as "You Are (The Government)" ,  "Punk Rock Song" and "American Jesus" and  If anyone has a remote interest in punk music, they should listen to BR, as they were integral to the revival of punk music in the 90s, giving support to such bands as The Offspring and Rise Against.

Favourite Song: Flat Earth Society - this song actually bridges the old style with the new. Slick riffs and catchy lyrics.

Rage Against the Machine - another great punk band, but they blended funk with various degrees of hard rock. Containing one of the most eclectic musicians of the modern era in Tom Morello, as well as one of the most vengeful vocalists going around in Zack de la Rocha. Very much a activist band, but they produced a lot of great music. If you are in need of motivation, give them a listen.

Favourite Song: Bulls on Parade (containing one of the best riffs in history - listen and tell me its not awesome!)

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - while they lead the ska revival back in the 90s, they were mostly an underground hit. Sure, most people would remember their hit "The Impression That I Get" and that catchy horn section, but they were famous for blending third-wave ska with a more hardcore sound - producing faster, up-tempo music - and creating a subset of ska called skacore - roughly translates into hardcore ska. The band went their own ways a few years ago, but if you come across their live album "Live from the Middle East" (a club in Boston, not Iraq) then you'll see the band at their best.

Favourite Song:  The Rascal King  - a throwback to the era of swing music and mobsters. Is there any era that was better?

RX Bandits - another underground band, started out doing catchy ska songs but then headed into experimental music. They released an album called "The Resigation" back in 2004 or so. It didn't get much mainstream attention, but I consider it one of the most impressive modern rock albums I've come across. Soulful lyrics, slick music, and a lot of rhythm and tempo showing off their versatility. Comparing this to, say, a Wolfmother album is like comparing apples and alcohol. It takes a lot more work to enjoy one than the other.

Favourite song: Descresendo - a brilliant all-around rock song. Showing off their range of skills and what a band can do as a group rather than a sum of individuals, which is rare in the current day theme of "showoff rock".

Michael Franti and Spearhead - its not every day that a musician makes you stand up and take notice. I'd heard this guy a while ago with his hit album "Everyone Deserves Music" and when RABicle mentioned his live show being awesome I got his CD out again. Maybe its the time between listens, but this time the album was completely different. Maybe I didn't appreciate thought-invoking and political lyrics. Maybe I didn't appreciate artists who had a large range of musicians to work with for their albums. Maybe I didn't apppreciate the culmination of funk, soul, rhythm and blues and rock. Either way, its brilliant this time around. Worth a listen for anyone who likes new things.

Favourite song: Bomb the World (Armageddon version) - this is almost a hip-hop song, but its a great political song. Catchy, almost rap-like vocally, and just a great activist song..

Less than Jake - for a band which started out playing in a garage and writing songs about issues like Johnny Quest calling them "sellouts" and Krazy Glue, they've gone a long way. Mixing punk and ska (with hints of reggae and funk as well) they came up with a lot of catchy tunes over the years. Their album "Hello Rockview" is acclaimed as one of the most influential albums of the 90s, I'm not going to list off the details but listen to it if you want to hear a great punk album. Plus they're great mates with Frenzal Rhomb, and that gets bonus points in my book! "JAY FRENZAL BROKE OUR BUS!"

Favourite Song - This one was damn hard, but I chose Dopeman. One of their earlier songs, and so very awesome. Roger's bassline and the horns make this song unbelievably catchy. Even the video clip for this song is awesome - well, for those of us who remember roller skating rinks when they were cool. This was almost beaten by "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" which I heard live when they came to town a couple of years ago. I was humming that song for weeks after my hearing returned to normal.

Incubus - some discussion on some forum (may have been piechat actually) where they called Incubus a hard rock band. I laughed. Because that isn't what they intended to be. They were always an experimental band - their record deal specifically said they had creative control over the music they produced - and they had a wide range of music. Sure, there was a lot rock in there, but I think the songs that pushed the band away from the safe zone of rock were better. Songs like "Sick Sad Little World", "Pardon Me" and "Priceless" struck me as being songs that were catchy, but more than a normal rock song.

Favourite Song - Drive. This was the song I first heard, and it still one of the best ballads I've come across.

Discussion and flamebait can follow below. But frankly, I could care less.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:13 AM »

Posted by: Shift Key
Incubus - some discussion on some forum (may have been piechat actually) where they called Incubus a hard rock band. I laughed. Because that isn't what they intended to be. They were always an experimental band - their record deal specifically said they had creative control over the music they produced - and they had a wide range of music. Sure, there was a lot rock in there, but I think the songs that pushed the band away from the safe zone of rock were better. Songs like "Sick Sad Little World", "Pardon Me" and "Priceless" struck me as being songs that were catchy, but more than a normal rock song.

Favourite Song - Drive. This was the song I first heard, and it still one of the best ballads I've come across.

Yeah, Incubus is definitely an experimental band, they have done so much varied stuff. Their first album was kind of jazzy with some rock elements. The second was probably the closest they ever came to hard rock, but it was still a little different with the whole addition of a DJ. Then they moved into more Modern Rock, to Lighter Rock. A Crow Left of the Murder was very jam-bandish, but excellent none-the-less. Their newest offering is somewhat lackluster and ultimately forgetable when placed next to the rest of their discography. Definitely one of my favorite bands, not to mention they put on an f-ing awesome live show.

Originally Posted By: blackfootsteps
Alice in Chains - duel vocals from Layne and Jerry created so much variety in their music, for example compare Sludge Factory and Down in a Hole. Both lovely tunes, yes, very dark and I must say Nutshell still has the ability to bring a tear to my eye. The statement of extensive variety applies equally to Mad Season (OK, another quality supergroup - albeit lesser known).

I agree totally with this statement as well. Nutshell is probably one of the greatest songs ever made and is just slammed with emotion. Jar of Flies still remains one of my favorite CDs of all time. Yes! Someone else knows of Mad Season. A nice collaboration, for those of you who like AiC check out Mad Season.

Originally Posted By: Brandogg
System of a Down isn't metal. They used to be almost metal-like, now they're full on pop.

Not really sure I know what you mean by that. Their sound hasn't changed that drastically. Most of their songs are still wacky SoaD style. Now if you want to talk about the quality of their work that's a different story. Mezmerize and Hypnotize were trampled by Daron and huge creative element of the band, Serj, seemed to be pushed to the side so that Daron could have his day in the sun. The songs off of the two CDs that really stood out for me were created by Serj (This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm on This Song and Vicinity of Obscenity). I feel as if he wasn't stifled by Daron, the CDs would've been far superior than the product they actually churned out. I'm also guessing that Daron pretty much killed the band (he seems like a total ass clown). Anyhow, a disappointing hiatus now ensues, and we probably won't ever hear from one of the most unique bands in a long time again.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 01:12:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Rage Against the Machine - another great punk band, but they blended funk with various degrees of hard rock. Containing one of the most eclectic musicians of the modern era in Tom Morello, as well as one of the most vengeful vocalists going around in Zack de la Rocha. Very much a activist band, but they produced a lot of great music. If you are in need of motivation, give them a listen.

Favourite Song: Bulls on Parade (containing one of the best riffs in history - listen and tell me its not awesome!)

Oh my god I can't believe that I forgot Rage. If I remember correctly self-titled was the first casette that I ever bought personally with my own pocketmoney. I love Township Rebellion and Bombtrack, such a unique sound. So happy that Cornell has stated that Audioslave are over, probably means that the RATM reunion show is probably not going to be a one-off event.  

Discussion and flamebait can follow below. But frankly, I could care less.

Another band that I enjoy immensely. Although the thrashing that Drive received on radio and Channel V years after Make Yourself came out means that I pretty much cry in frustration when I hear it. I much prefer The Warmth, I Miss You and Mexico as far as Incubus ballads go.

Yeah Mad Season absolutely rock, it's a pity it was a one album thing, I would love to hear a sequel to Long Gone Day.  

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 02:04:30 AM »
Oh dear. I have an assignment to do any everything.

EasyCure has had the most winning post in the thread so far.

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
i hate the word pop.....I've always hated it when people started using it with other genres, for example pop-punk bands.  Good Charlotte rings a bell, i still hate the fact that the guy from Goldfinger helped them and if I'm not mistaken Ashlee Simpson too.  I still love Goldfinger tunes but I lost a lot of respect for them because of what they did....
But comon, we are talking about a band that got big when they covered 99 Red Balloons. And despite being completely vanilla and un-extreme, it's not like Good Charlotte are bad.

My absolute favorite bands/artists, in no particular order are: Bad Religion, Frenzal Rhomb, R.E.M., Ben Folds (Five), Placebo and Motion City Soundtrack.

Other groups/artists whatever that I enjoy a lot and have a lot of their stuff include; A.F.I. After the Fall, Billy Bragg, Dead Kennedys, Dropkick Murphys, Eskimo Joe, Evermore, The Flaming Lips, Foo Fighters, The Greats, Grinspoon, Gyroscope, Interpol,  Kisschasy, Less Than Jake, The Living End, Moby, NoFX, Panic! At the Disco, Paul Kelly, Ramones, Regurgitator, Rise Against, Sarah Blasko, Spiderbait, System of a Down, Taking Back Sunday, They Might Be Giants, TISM, The Triffids, Tripod, U2 and the Whitlams.

Nup stuffit. Im not discussing more, MUST DO ASSIGNMNET!
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »

Since WhenTF is Rage a punk band? I feel so insulted, I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.

I wouldn't even spend $1 to see a punk band. I don't count the time my gf dragged me to see We Are Scientist, and some other godawful band (on a different date) that I've wiped from my memory I had to pay for both of us even though I didn't want to go... *sigh* the things we do for a little tail

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »

I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.
Wait, since when is Rage back together?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.
Wait, since when is Rage back together?

Since Chris Cornell officially and permanently left Audioslave. The rest of the guys announced that they were getting back with Zach to play some shows. Hopefully we get a new album, that would rock.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
I was unaware.  I didn't like Audioslave.

In all honesty, Rage went downhill a lot after their first album.  Renegades was the closest they've come to topping their self-titled album.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 06:54:31 PM »

Since WhenTF is Rage a punk band? I feel so insulted, I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.

I call RATM a punk band rather than a metal or rock band because they are actually impacting on society on a far greater extent than any other rock or metal band during their time (don't say U2 because their frontman speaks out about poverty - I'm talking about action). Upside-down American flags, socialist regalia (like Che Guevara, before it was cool), and general anarchic behaviour on and off stage.

Rebellion against the man, it reminds me a lot of the old punk bands like the Ramones and their general disrespect towards the world. Only in RATM's case it is more directed and more passionate. Sure, RATM's music is very different to your average punk band, but I am calling them a punk band rather than a rock band because I feel the punk label actually means something these days, as the rock genre encompasses too much of the same thing.

It wasn't meant to be derogatory. I'd certainly try to see them at Coachella if it wasn't on the other side of the world.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »

I wouldn't even spend $1 to see a punk band. I don't count the time my gf dragged me to see We Are Scientist

Since when are We Are Scientists a punk band?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2007, 05:51:56 AM »
If Rage is Punkthne that means I like 2 punk bands, them, and offspring. bt poeple argue over offspring being punk also. Maybe its just one of those terms tosed around but everyone has a differnt perception of.  
You can call me

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
I like mostly hard rock and metal but I love some punk and old school rap too.

edit: I added my favorite album by each artist in brackets

Tool (Lateralus)
Mastodon (Blood Mountain)
Rage Agaist the Machine (Self Titled)
System of a down (Self Titled)
Children of Bodom (Hatebreeder)
Iron Maiden (Number of the Beast)
Wolfmother (they only have 1 album)
Led Zep (IV)
Machinehead (Through the ashes of Empires)
Snoop Dogg (Doggystyle)
Beastie Boys (License to Ill)
Sublime (Self Titled)
Rush (Moving Pictures)
Metallica (Master of Puppets)
Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss)
The Tea Party (Edges of Twilight)
Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon)
Rob/White Zombie (Astro Creep 2000)
Jimi Hendrix (Are You Experienced?)
Guns and Roses (Appetite for Destruction)
Velvet Revolver (Contraband)
Black Sabbath/Ozzy (Paranoid)
Alice in Chains (Dirt)
Nirvana (In Utero)

Lots more that I can't think of right now....

My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
Maybe its just one of those terms tosed around but everyone has a differnt perception of.

Wow, that was surprisingly intelligent.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

bt poeple argue over offspring being punk also.

Since when? I thought their style of music was pretty clear-cut.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 04:21:14 AM »
some consider the offspring a punk band, some consider them a pop-punk band. i hate both terms really, i hate any label thrown onto music other than a standard genre which just makes it easier to catogorize and recognize a certain style.

everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance. thats it, because i could care less about stupid labels. im tired of hearing arguments about whether or not a band is punk/pop-punk/hardcore-punk or metal/hardcore metal/speed metal/trash metal/black metal, old-skool rap/crunk/commercial-rap/gangsta-rap, pop/electronica/techno/disco, or hard-rock/classic-rock/indie-rock, or other labels like emo and alternative.

and dont get me started on emo...*

the only time i'll use a label other than the main three is when a style crosses over; ie. goth/industrial can be both dance and rock music.

also

lol the singer for the cure is kinda a spaz

but a spaz that can write amazing lyrics, music and has an incredible voice. his talent with multiple instruments and arrangements is something i look up to

EasyCure has had the most winning post in the thread so far.

i win!

*its not even a form of music its a damn fashion style of skinny guys wearing makeup, girls pants/shirts/ and the most ridiculous haircuts i've ever seen. you're not sensitive for wearing eyeliner and crying it off, you're not dark and mysterious by hiding one of your eyes behind your stupid hair and you're not non-threatening becuase you dress like a 12yo/girl and sing like one too.

learn to be a man, if you want to be a woman just get the operation over and done with. if you want to be a musician learn to play your goddamn instruments and get good singers. im tired of this whiney nasaly screaming. not all emotions are about girls so stop singing about how much your heart hurt when you first got dumped; get over it. grow up.. CUT YOUR LAWN NOT YOUR WRIST. also i dont care if your dad doesnt love you thats no excuse to cut yourself, not that anyone believes you do anyway. grow up.. CUT YOUR LAWN NOT YOUR WRIST.

cutting is a serious problem among youth and i think its flat out vulgar that emo as a trend idealizes such a thing. (and i'm looking at you HIM with your stupid razorblade logos and whatnot. there are more artistic metaphores you can use to express pain)

now, if you're like me you might want to listen to these two songs before your head explodes:
Mindless Self Indulgence  - "You'll Rebel To Anything (As Long As Its Not Challenging)"
MC Lars - "Signing Emo"  
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 05:48:37 AM »
"*its not even a form of music its a damn fashion style of skinny guys wearing makeup, girls pants/shirts/ and the most ridiculous haircuts i've ever seen. you're not sensitive for wearing eyeliner and crying it off, you're not dark and mysterious by hiding one of your eyes behind your stupid hair and you're not non-threatening becuase you dress like a 12yo/girl and sing like one too."

I agree though with emo fashion (and metrosexual fashion as well) becoming quite common a guy like me, who ten years ago would just look routine, starts looking exceptionally manly and tough in comparison.  So I'm all for it.    

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
i never thought of it that way, you have a great point. i dont have much in the facial hair dept but as long as i have a bit of a shadow i look ultra rugged compared to some of the wimps i see around town. a toast to being manly

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
easy cure you totally win the thread.  
You can call me

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance.

These three labels make a mockery of the bands who decide to blend musical styles and create their own sound, because they get pidgeon-holed along with everyone else. For people who are fans of a given genre, they like to be able to distinguish between styles. Because there is a huge difference.

Example: Sublime (someone else mentioned it in here, bravo sir). Depending on what song you were playing at the time, you could be hearing a hip-hop song (Doin' Time), a reggae song (Boss DJ), a rock song (Santeria), a cover song (Rivers of Babylon) or even a hilarious song about date rape (even though he now takes it in the behind - DATE RAPE )

Considering that they've covered a good two-thirds of your categories, do we invent a fourth, fifth, six, ad infinitum.

Am I hitting my head against the metaphorical wall here or what?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24:06 PM »
Has anybody here (except those from the UK) heard of Amy Winehouse?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Plugabugz
Has anybody here (except those from the UK) heard of Amy Winehouse?

If that's the person in your avatar, I'd have sworn she was a dude. That face has nothing remotely feminine.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
That dude to the left is a woman, fortunately. I still can't tell properly/

Amy Winehouse. She's a british soul artist. Her last album, Back to Black is probably one of the freshest albums i've heard in a long time. The last song on her album she has a song saying she prefers a good smoke/pot to a boyfriend. Absolutely priceless.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »

That dude to the left is a woman, fortunately. I still can't tell properly/

Ahahahahaha you sound so damn confident.

The last song on her album she has a song saying she prefers a good smoke/pot to a boyfriend. Absolutely priceless.

Le yawn. People substitute drugs for reality all the time. This is nothing new.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 10:50:09 PM »
I agree though in principle, one usually supplants the other.

I'll see if i can find a clip somewhere, but it's the fact that the whole album is made  in 60's motown pop (with the modern writing) that does it for me. My brother even likes tracks off the album, which is a feat in itself coz he only likes rap and little else.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »

I agree though in principle, one usually supplants the other.

Leave vegetation out of this. I have no idea what you are talking about normally.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »
Must have been a funny choice of word. errrr. Like you said, drugs replace sex. I agree :P

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »
I HAVE A HORRIBLE FEELING THIS DISCUSSION WILL LEAD US TOWARDS LILLY ALLEN AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:09 AM »
You said it first. She's weird.

MORE AMY WINEHOUSE PLEASE.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 05:29:31 AM »

everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance.

These three labels make a mockery of the bands who decide to blend musical styles and create their own sound, because they get pidgeon-holed along with everyone else. For people who are fans of a given genre, they like to be able to distinguish between styles. Because there is a huge difference.

Example: Sublime (someone else mentioned it in here, bravo sir). Depending on what song you were playing at the time, you could be hearing a hip-hop song (Doin' Time), a reggae song (Boss DJ), a rock song (Santeria), a cover song (Rivers of Babylon) or even a hilarious song about date rape (even though he now takes it in the behind - DATE RAPE )

Considering that they've covered a good two-thirds of your categories, do we invent a fourth, fifth, six, ad infinitum.

Am I hitting my head against the metaphorical wall here or what?

well first of all i said TO ME, thats how i catogorize music. i also did mention i do use other labels if a band can cross genres and Sublime is a perfect example (and a band i forgot to keep off my list). Any great band can cross genres and still keep their appeal so i usually stick to what they fundamentally are. Look at the clash, they have songs that fall into the punk, reggea, and even hiphop styles but  they´re still a rock band at heart, even if they branch out (and Sublimes cover of ´HOPE´by the Descendents is a great PUNK cover).

but im not here to argue about labels of music, i just wanted to state how i feel about the situation. i have too many times been subject to idiots who go on and on about ´i hate numetal, its all about death metal, numetal is gayy´ and all i ever want to do is punch someone in the nose for pigeon holding a whole other style of music because they usually base their opinion on the entire genre by one band they might not find to be good. i feel that if the subgenres didnt exist people might be a little more open minded about things, but i might just be a dreamer.

to me if you like rock music, you should be able to be pretty open to all forms of it. same goes for the other categories i listed. i used to listen to only punk rock bands when i was a kid and wrongully so. one day i wised up and checked out some of the influences of all those punkbands i liked or just some of the other artist they would listen to and found a bunch of good music. thats when i learned that labels were stupid and subjective.

now, not to flame Maryjane or anything but if you look at his previous post he got deffensive when someone called Rage Against the Machine (good band but one im not too fond of) a PUNK band.

[Since WhenTF is Rage a punk band? I feel so insulted, I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.

I wouldn't even spend $1 to see a punk band

thats what im talking about. i used to be that way too about numetal bands back when i was like 13. im not trying to insult maryjane because he´s just defending a band he admires and people do get defensive. i just use this as an example of why labels are stupid. the person he was quoting (sorry im not sure who you are) called Rage a punk band and you yourself explained why they are a punk band even though they dont have the punk ¨sound´. to me its just rock. good rock at that.

im pasionate about ´punk rock´ music probably more so than any other but i hate the term punk rock because people usually consider that a particular sound when its not, its an attitude . you yourself explained it before, and very well i might add. Except in your explanation you used The Ramones as an example for their ´General disrespect towards the world¨but did you know Johnny Ramone, one of the founding memebers of the band, is a die hard republican and the only political song they have ever done as a group (bonzo goes to bitzburg) he fought to keep off any album.

By todays standards the Ramones would be a considered a PopPunk band and would be lumped into a catagory with bands like simple plan and good charlotte because of what PopPunk sounds like. To me thats completely unfair to such a great band, but technically they are they just shouldnt be thrown in with bands dont dont mean anything. they wrote catchy songs and wanted to be POPular artists. its what they strived for, they just happened to have a FU attitude and didnt care about it obsesively.

the Ramones are a perfect example of why i just use Rock as a blanket term instead of all those genres because at its heart the ideals of the music are the same as the birth of rock and people viewed it in the same manner= loud, fast, dangerous and kids shouldnt listen to it. the times changed tho and they were the new loud, fast, and dangerous bands. because singing songs about beating up the rich snobby kids in queens and sniffing glue because you´re bored were dangerous at the time. its only rock n roll (and yes, i like it)

ps. dude your avatar scares me

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »
its like wtih techno music, purists will argue that there is electronica, house, trance, techno,dance, electro-pop, and some other names i forgot. but for me its all techno. rock is a litle different, I can distingishe hard rock from soft rock and metal from regluar rock, but beyond that I tend to get confused.

I like some bands that are called ska by some and punk by others. I liked the bosstones a few years back cuz my brother in law was into them and I liked  some songs and then I also like No Doubt a lot and I have had people argue if they are rock, ska or punk, I prefer to call them rock but ska seams to fit but I am nto a huge fan of the name so I tend to lean towards rock. i was also under the impression sublime wa ska as well, or at least thats how they get labeled around here.

Hip-Hop, Rap, Electric Funk, Boogaloo, Old Shcool Rap, those are all interchangable. Old Shcool is not a defitnate term, some people call 2Pac old school cuz he isnt new, but there was 20 years of rap music before 2pac came around so he isnt old-old school.  To me and my friends old school means 80's and older, the 90s had distinct sounds, you had mainstream rap and you had G-Funk and you had underound. Udnerground just means non-mainstream. eventually most underground went mainstream so its harder to distinguish.

For simplification you can calla  band by its main category and then only refer to its sub genres when specifically talking to fans of said genre. That seams to work best for me, like if I am describing a punk type band to osmeone who lieks punk Id say, "they are a rock band that sounds kinda punkish to me." Then let them decide for themselves.

I used to like sublime until i met a friend who was just like the girl in the wrong way and then I began to despise that song. Now I can't listen to them at all cuz I always think of that.

Plus I have stopped listening to a lot of what I would call worldy music, which is why I dont listen to any rap or hard rock anymore. or not like I used to.

You can call me

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 06:32:54 AM »
I think subgenres exists just because it's hard to describe sound and when you take something like rock there are so many rock bands that sound very different from each other.  Buddy Holly is rock.  So is Iron Maiden.  But they sound very different and a fan of one might not like the other.  So we seperate those two rock acts into seperate sub-genres to let people who aren't familiar with the two acts know that there's a difference.  Organizing groups into sub-genres also makes it easy to recommend similar sounding artists.  When I discover a band I like to know what other acts are grouped in the same style or scene to expand my horizons.  For example if we didn't categorize certain bands from the late 70s as "punk" then I wouldn't have heard of The Jam or the Buzzcocks.  I knew about the Clash and the Ramones and the Sex Pistols but not much else and having a sub-genre allowed me to expand to other similar bands.

I think the problem is just when people completely shut out a sub-genre because of prejudice or a bad experience with one of the crappier bands of the sub-genre.  I don't really like prog rock.  I hate Pink Floyd, Yes and Rush like you wouldn't believe.  But I really like Peter Gabriel era Genesis.  I've been able to get into a band in a sub-genre I don't normally seem to like.  I don't really like rap and country but there are country songs and rap songs I like.  The problem is really just an open-mindedness problem.  It takes little effort to hear a song so at the very least don't shut out a band until you've heard some of their stuff.

Oh and I forget to mention that Bonzo Goes to Bitzburg is a great song.  I don't even care about the message behind the lyrics.  The melody is just so damn catchy.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
I got annoyed when RATM was called a punk band because I hate punk. Not the music, but the i don't know what you call it, but because it's popular everyone likes it you know? Like when Reggaeton was big, it was popular so everybody liked it, now that's Punk Rock to me... Which is why I called We Are Scientists punk, because they have that kind of flow to them of other bands that I consider punk, and don't like, Scientists aren't bad, but I just felt like I was hearing songs I already heard like for the past 5 years... I like originality like TOOL I've never really heard anyone else like them, I've heard people compare them to other bands, but I never hear it, I think it's just the way I listen to music, before anything I just listen for the way that the vocals blend with the instrumentals, ignoring the lyrics, not paying too much attention any particular instrument, trying to take it all in pure before any analyzing goes on. And for me there is no other band that I get that really indescribably raw vibe from, I just get lost in the stories and have the rhythms carry my thoughts. Yeah I'm listening to 10,000 Days right now I did buy the CD, but they were protected .wma files, and I couldn't edit them, so I used a simple converter to make them .mp3's and then used Audacity (love the program) to combine Wings for Marie (pt.1) and 10,000 Days (Wings for Marie pt. 2) that's how it's written on the CD which has 3D goggles attached to it, which I think is why it won a Grammy  

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
The Clash - They are the only band that matters, after all.
Wilco - I am always in love with you, Jeff Tweedy.
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers for the effing WIN!
The Ramones - Chewin' out a rhythm on my bubblegum.
White Stripes - I really think all their albums have gotten better with each release.
Against Me! - When it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window, you left me all alone...

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
Ian, did you like the song nelly did wtih tim Mcgraw? Thats a good example of exatly what you were saying, I hate country, the closest thing to country I listen to is Sheryl Crow 9and not that song she did with kid rock either) and a couple songs by garth Brooks, and I can't stand nelly, hes the worst excuse of a rapper there ever was.  But I set aside both predjudices when I heard that song, I like it despite hating both artists involved.

with rock it is harder to narrow down, see for me I dont particulary like guitars, but there are songs that I do like that have guitars. I can't explain it. but when it comes to sub genres well I get confused over certain ones because, to me Green Day sounds very much Punk and so does offspring and to some extent no doubt. But I only like two out of those three bands and one isn't even categorised as punk. its the same with green Day, I hate those losers so many ways it aint funny, especcialy thier newer stuff (GD was the band I was disisng on my song I linked to a couple months back) But I really like good riddance, always have always will its a good song. so its like you can hate aguy but still like a song he did. Also you can hate a type of music but still enjoy a song or two from that style.

To be honest guys I sorta expected more Nintendo fans to be into Techno for some reason. I guess I figured gamers are supposed to like tehcno cuz its game music. at least thats what got me into it so much.

But then again My favorite song of all time is by Helen reddy so what do I know.  
You can call me

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2007, 05:24:38 AM »

I got annoyed when RATM was called a punk band because I hate punk. Not the music, but the i don't know what you call it, but because it's popular everyone likes it you know? Like when Reggaeton was big, it was popular so everybody liked it, now that's Punk Rock to me...

i know, i feel ya. i dislike reggaeton too and its everywhere where i live. there are even dedicated stations to it now. there are no more rock stations in ny because everything is spanish music (ie salsa etc), rap, 'pop' which doesnt play any good rock songs, and spanish rap stations (ie your normal hip hop with reggaeton thrown in) as well as dedicated reggaeton stations. the fact that its saturated into every little thing makes me dislike it even more, so i know exactly how you feel.

except the bands that you're considering punk that are so popular that you cant stand it aren't really punk bands becuase a true punk band has never been so popular and mainstream. the few times i listen to the radio or watch music television i never hear a punk band. i do however hear alot of Emo bands or "melodic hardcore bands" (that title alone could set me off an another long rant, its the stupidest thing i've ever heard...) like my chemical romance, the used, aiden, etc. none of those are punk bands by any definition of the word (ie sound of music, attitude, political stances) but i know alooot of people (especially fans of metal i've noticed) call them a punk band because they've never really heard what a punk band does soundlike, and how varied the sound really is.

listen to London Calling (the clash), Damaged (black flag), Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegatables (Dead Kennedys), End of the Century (Ramones), Milo Goes to Colledge (Descendents), Mommys Little Monster (Social Distortion) just to name a few and listen to how different they all sound from eachother. hell the london calling album alone has tracks that all sound different from eachother as well as the earlier stuff the clash has done. and these are just albums from the early 80s.

i just hate people mislabeling a band because im passionate about the kind of music i listen to. thats why i get mad when a band like MCR gets called a punk band, cuz their not. its like labeling metallica a hair metal band becuase they started off in the 80s. believe it or not i've heard dumb people that dont know anything about music actually say such blasphemy. hell i worked at a hot topic for 2 years, i actually heard young teenagers swear to me on their mothers lives that St. Anger was metallicas first album and that those old guys were a NEW band.... things like that piss me the hell off. i mean they reeally piss me off.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »

I guess I figured gamers are supposed to like tehcno cuz its game music. at least thats what got me into it so much.

whut?

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »
well most video games have techno sounding soundtracks. mostly because thier music is made using synthesizers and keyboards and is what inspired a lot of the techno music out today. I always assumed gamers liked techno cuz thats what got me into it. sorta.  
You can call me

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »

well most video games have techno sounding soundtracks. mostly because thier music is made using synthesizers and keyboards and is what inspired a lot of the techno music out today. I always assumed gamers liked techno cuz thats what got me into it. sorta.

Well, I'd say it was more to do with the limitations on audio hardware (memory space and simplistic audio decoding) back in the day that produced music that sounded like techno, not that they intended to produce techno music from the start. But I do not like techno at all so I may have a skewed perspective on things.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:56 AM »
I love Sonic and Mario music for the incredible compositional quality not the fact they are electronic.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2007, 04:50:29 AM »
"Ian, did you like the song nelly did wtih tim Mcgraw?"

No.  Not at all.  Any country I like is older country like Hank Williams.  The modern pop country does nothing for me.  Any country I listen to has almost a folk feel to it.

"To be honest guys I sorta expected more Nintendo fans to be into Techno for some reason. I guess I figured gamers are supposed to like tehcno cuz its game music. at least thats what got me into it so much."

To me game music is almost like a different genre altogether.  It's hard to explain but it has a different feeling for me than techno music does even though they're very similar.  Techno seems more like it's own thing and is pretty dance oriented while game music is more like writing classical music and playing it with synthesizers.  With techno synthesizers are used specifically for that kind of sound while with games it's like they wanted to use a full orchestra but couldn't and were forced to use bleeps and bloops because there was nothing else.  In fact I don't like game music as much since they've been able to actually use something that sounds more like an orchestra.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
MY NEW FAVORITE:

This Ain't a Scene

it's by fall out boy

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:47 AM »
eh.. one of my band mates is really into fall out boy and won´t shut up about them... i´ll admit this new album is alot better than the regurgitated stuff they´ve put out before but its still not for me. i dont like the singers voice which is a big put off to me in any style music.

besides any band that strikes an exclusive deal with a brand like aeropostel is what i would call ¨sell out´but thats just me i guess. to each his own

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »
 You guys have it easy. I have friends who have been into Fall Out Boy for six years now. I didn't care for them then and I'm beyond sick of them now. I can't believe they got famous.  

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2007, 01:38:40 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
You guys have it easy. I have friends who have been into Fall Out Boy for six years now. I didn't care for them then and I'm beyond sick of them now. I can't believe they got famous.

atleast it was just your friend, i had a gf that got into them with their first album and i was with her awhile, then i worked at a hot topic around the time that last album came out so when i wasnt the only manager working i was forced to listen to it by another manager (who also happens to be an ex) and an army of little scenester kids i had to work with, and now my bandmate is all over their fall out BALLS with this new album going on and on about how good it is.

i swear the second he says he wants to sound like them im quitting the band and taking my songs with me

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2007, 04:13:08 AM »
"atleast it was just your friend, i had a gf that got into them with their first album and i was with her awhile"

My last two girlfriends both considered Nickleback to be their favourite band.  F*cking Nickleback!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2007, 06:50:34 AM »
My sister liked fallout boy for a while but as soon as she foudn out they liked Nintendo, she went over the top obbsessed with them. she loves Nintendo witha passion. more than I do.  
You can call me

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2007, 08:15:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"atleast it was just your friend, i had a gf that got into them with their first album and i was with her awhile"

My last two girlfriends both considered Nickleback to be their favourite band.  F*cking Nickleback!

you win

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2007, 03:18:02 AM »
Woah woah woah!
Most anticipated album ever?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2007, 04:38:05 AM »
have any links to where i can find an mp3 to check them out?  

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2007, 03:29:23 PM »
http://www.myspace.com/blackpresident
Mysapce comes in useful.
While I'm usually opposed to Supergroups, members from Goldfinger bad religion, Unwritten Law and a Ramone? AWESOME.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »

have any links to where i can find an mp3 to check them out?

yes, try http://www.nomusicheresodon'tclickonthislink.com/notmusic/categories/id1638265.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
While I'm usually opposed to Supergroups, members from Goldfinger bad religion, Unwritten Law and a Ramone? AWESOME.
None of the members is from the Ramones. The singer was in a band called "Dee Dee Ramone".
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »
hey all you who are hatin on fall out boy, i just gotta say i dont even like them i just like that one song this aint a scene. dont know why but its rockin cool??

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2007, 05:34:12 AM »
lol i hate it when people say 'i dont like this band i just like that one song' then you do like their music. just admit it, its ok. just because people are hating on a band doesnt mean you can't like them because they're popular.

im not trying to single you out mysticspike, just so you know, you just brought up a funny example

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2007, 05:44:09 AM »
i just wanna say thank you to 18days for turning me on to a good band

i hope they go for something different in their logo tho...

the white first against the black backdrop sadly reminds me of all of green days 'american idiot" logos with the stupid little heart-grenade. it sucks... green day still writes really good, catchy, songs and to write a "punk-rock opera" the way they did using the simplest of power chords and having it all make sense (and be good) is actually a great accomplishment but i cant help but feel they are actually hurting (american) kids by fuelling them with blind hate/dissapproval of the govt/current administration. a generation of kids is going to grow up with green day as their politics... ugh.

its just dissapointing that the Black President logo reminds me of such a thing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2007, 05:47:39 AM »
"i hate it when people say 'i dont like this band i just like that one song' then you do like their music."

I don't know about that.  Sometimes I only like one of two songs by a band and have hated everything else I've heard of their's.  Usually it's because those one or two songs break away from their usual sound.  I wouldn't say in that case I like their music because if I went to their concert I would be bored for a good 90% of it.  Hell I could completely hate it depending on the set list.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »
I am with spike and ian, there are LOTS of bands I *HATE* but that have one or two songs I like. Its not hard. I can't stand green day, hate them with a passion, but I like Good Riddance, its a good song. They got lucky and  happened to make one decent song.

It's also possible to like a band/singer and still find songs you hate by them. Like Snoop, I have been a fan since the begining. I have had every single album he has released, I have every soundtrack to every movie he has done songs for or stared in, I bought True Crime cuz he was in it, bottom line I like his music and am a  big fan. BUT he still manages to come up with utter crap I can't stand from time to time. Mostly cuz he is so spread out that he does songs with everybody (except mean grean records you baztard!) and he gets stuck doing songs with people who flat out suck. Plus he got kinda wierd once he invented his own langauge.

You can call me

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
"It's also possible to like a band/singer and still find songs you hate by them."

I didn't think it was possible to not dislike at least one song by an artist.  Led Zeppelin is the most consistently great band I've ever heard.  They never seem to make blatant album tracks.  They always try to make something special with each song and most of the time they succeed.  But once in a while they miss and I can't stand listening to "The Crunge" or "In My Time of Dying".  Now there are bands where I've liked every song I've heard by them but I'm only familiar with their hits and haven't listened to all their albums in full (Zeppelin is the only band I've done that with).

Hell I consider a studio album (ie: not a hits compilation) where I like every song to be a rarity.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
http://www.myspace.com/blackpresident
Mysapce comes in useful.

Finally got around to having a listen to those songs.  And yes, I was intrigued. Combining Hetson's hops and Goldfinger's slick guitar work (can't be bothered looking into Goldfinger's setup currently, but I still remember Superman - damn that was a catchy tune). I'll keep an eye on these guys.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2007, 07:10:03 AM »
lol yeah Superman was ultra catchy, its actually how i got into them (Tony Hawk proskater ftw).

"i hate it when people say 'i dont like this band i just like that one song' then you do like their music."

I don't know about that. Sometimes I only like one of two songs by a band and have hated everything else I've heard of their's. Usually it's because those one or two songs break away from their usual sound. I wouldn't say in that case I like their music because if I went to their concert I would be bored for a good 90% of it. Hell I could completely hate it depending on the set list.

i wanted to edit my post before but i got lazy, i didnt get my thoughts across the way i should have.

i just think saying 'i hate this band so much...but XX is a good song' is dumb, but i didnt mean to imply that liking a song makes you a fan of the band. i just think you dont truley hate the band/artist. maybe its just because hate is a strong word to me that i rarely use it unless i really hate something, but its just the way i am.

its like hating Danzig (the band) but loving him as a singer. it just doesnt make sense to me, if you praise the singer so much just say you dislike the direction he took his music. this actually reminds me of a friend i had..
huge Misfits fan, loved em to death, cept he swore he hated Danzig (band). I'm talking about a guy who would hand draw posters of Glen Danzig with the misfits for his wall and had a tattoo of him on his back, admired this guy to no end.... but goes and says he HATES Danzig (band) with a passion. it just doesnt make sense to me that you can hold someone up in such high regards but say you hate their work...but you still respect them?

I guess it is just me but if i hate something, i hate something. period.  

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"It's also possible to like a band/singer and still find songs you hate by them."

I didn't think it was possible to not dislike at least one song by an artist.  Led Zeppelin is the most consistently great band I've ever heard.  They never seem to make blatant album tracks.  They always try to make something special with each song and most of the time they succeed.  But once in a while they miss and I can't stand listening to "The Crunge" or "In My Time of Dying".  
"Boogie with Stu" is virtually the only song I don't like from Led Zeppelin, sure there are songs I like more than others, but that is the only song that I can't listen to.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »
i guess game soundtracks do work out well for artists, as I too got into goldfinger through that Superman Song on Tony Hawk, 99 red balloons sealed the deal for me and I snatched up like 3-4 of their CDs.

Oh and props to 18days, I'll keep them on my radar.

Moving on, I can only think of a few albums where i can listen to each track without wanting to skip a song

Billy Talent I and II:  Most of their stuff doesn't really have any great meaning or anything (some of which, I'm completely clueless over) but their pretty catchy and have the best intensity in their music.

Linkin Park's Hyrbid Theory:  Almost perfect in every way, to me at the time it was a style I've never heard of.

MxPx's Slowly going the way of the buffalo:  Probably my favorite album of theirs and if there was a song I'd skip it would be the last track since its just a instrumental, its not a bad one but its skippable.

Oh and I got a question for you guys and I'd rather not start a new thread, out of all the legal music download stores who do u like best?  Currently I'm using MusicMatch, I like it cause it doesn't charge tax unlike Itunes.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
I've never heard a song by Snoop that was on one of his albums I didn't like, its just when he does quest appearances with people I can't stand. but the only cd I have ever actually liked every single song and could put it on repeat all day long is Doggystyle. Well some guests on his own albums I cant stand either but for the most part i like most of his stuff.  
You can call me

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »
i have a new favorite song - violent pornogrophy. its by System of a Down. i recently developed strong bonds to this music and love it. who else is a fan of soad? i forget its been to long. also, i have heard a really good song by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. its called "face down." i dont like it as much as that other song, but its pretty high on the list. also, linkin park is one of my new favorite bands, mostly "numb" and "faint." they are good songs

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »

eh.. one of my band mates is really into fall out boy and won´t shut up about them... i´ll admit this new album is alot better than the regurgitated stuff they´ve put out before but its still not for me. i dont like the singers voice which is a big put off to me in any style music.

Sounds about right. Some of their stuff is forgettable, some of it is damn catchy. Not something I listen to religiously, but much better than your average punk band these days.

Regarding their latest album: "This Ain't A Scene..." got annoying pretty damn fast and I stopped listening to the album a while ago, but then I came across the video for their latest single, "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs". A much more stellar song, and the clip has monkeys in it! Monkeys!

Here's a link to the streamed version: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2839281

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »
Anyone here heard of the Guillemots? ("gill-e-mots")
How 'bout Imogen Heap?
Remy Zero (pre-Garden State and pre-Smallville title track, more specifically)?
Bishop Allen?
The Shins?
Pizzicato 5?
Decemberists?
Ricky Skaggs (bluegrass instrumentals)? <– Frickin' legend, btw
Andrew Bird?
Camera Obscura?
Amadou & Mariam? <– Senegal's hottest pop duo!
Pink Martini?
Pilot Speed?
Porcupine Tree?
Gomez (Album: How We Operate)?
Calexico?
Oasis (Album: Be Here Now)?
Vienna Teng?
Nada Surf?
Los Amigos Invisibles? (from Venezuela, great energy in their music)

...HOW OUT OF TOUCH WITH YOU GUYS AM I?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:15 AM »
yero zero is available to stream on nine inch nails' (][\][ ][ ][/][, if you will) site.  It's ... interesting.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Wow Pizzicato 5 I haven't heard them in forever.  Them and Shonen Knife were popular with college kids a long time ago.  

Hmmm I used to listen to Sex Machineguns a lot (Not the pistols) They were the first really good speed metal band I heard.  Has anyone mentioned Rush yet?  I was at their last Concert in Toronto.  One of my favorite bands.
Some of you should listen to Tokyo Ska Paradise if only for their Tetris Cover.  Dream Theater is also worth a listen if your into progressive rock.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
Decoyman: Pizzicatto 5 and Oasis are good...although now that you mention it, I didn't like Be Here Now much at all.  I like the rest of their albums.

Nada Surf is responsible for She F***ing Hates me, no?  It was an okay song, but I never heard anything else from them.

I am aware of Gomez, the Decemberists and Guillemots, but I don't know their music offhand.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
the lack of metal in this topic is depressing

Favorite bands/etc:
Rage, Metallica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Kajiura Yuki, Joe Satriani, Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Buitres, Cuarteto de Nos, La Trampa

Important Stuff:
New Sonata Arctica album and the first single of Nightwish's sixth album next month!!
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2007, 01:45:15 AM »
Reading over this thread, it's pretty depressing no-one has mentioned The Stone Roses. They're probably my third favourite band, but that's only because they only released two albums. Their self-titled debut album is one of the greatest albums of all-time, and it's one of my five favourite albums. Their second release, Second Coming, is a solid release, but I feel falls short of their debut. It still is definately one of my top 15 albums though.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:13 AM »
Oh yeah, to pretty much ignore all the recent stuff and talk about something else, the new Linkin Park album is out soon. After listening to their first single a few times (playable through their website) I'm still not sure what to think of the thought of a new album from them (disclaimer: judgements made based on a single song).

Its a different sound, and they're branching out creatively, but its a big difference from the music that made them popular. What they have right now is more of a straight-up rock sound. Its not a bad kind of rock, but it doesn't grab me in the way that their old stuff did.

I'll probably still get the album at some stage, but its certainly not urgent or as eagerly-awaited  now as I hoped it would be.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
"Reading over this thread, it's pretty depressing no-one has mentioned The Stone Roses."

I just got into the Stone Roses a few months ago.  I had heard of them but didn't know any of their songs (or thought I didn't; Love Spreads actually got a fair bit of radio airplay in my area when it came out but I had no idea what the song was called or who played it at the time).  I like britpop like Oasis and Blur and in reading up on them found out that the Stone Roses had influenced those acts.  One time by fluke I found a site that had an MPS of Fools Gold so I downloaded it on a whim and liked it.  So I bought their greatest hits back in December without knowing any of their other songs.  And it's great stuff.  I especially like the songs "Sally Cinnamon", "This is the One" and "I Wanna be Adored".

I've never met anyone who has even heard of them but they never really amounted to much in North America.  Hell most people I meet are only familiar with Blur because of Song 2.  I don't find myself really digging much current music so it's nice to discover a band that was big in another part of the world but not here.  I got into The Jam in the same way.  To me it's like brand new music.  It reminds me of back when I was 13 and I made a conscious effort to get familiar with popular acts from before my time.  There was a surge of "new to me" material back then and at the time I really liked what was new material as well.

Anyone outside of Canada looking for undiscovered gems my favourite Canadian act is Blue Rodeo.  They're a mainstream act here but I figure they're unknown to much of the United States, Europe or Australia and they deserve more recognition compared to some incredibly overrated Canadian acts like the Tragically Hip or Our Lady Peace.

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »
I listen to metal, classic stuff like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath, and Malmsteen. Also new stuff like Ensiferum, Falkenbach, Edguy, Elvenking and Angra. And for relaxing music i like baroque, and some pop singers like Eilera, and Bjork.

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2007, 11:40:54 AM »
oh forgot to say, fans of metal RJD and Tony Iommi are Touring as Heaven and Hell, you are not metal if you miss it :p

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »
 can a mod delete this accidental post plese.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
Just broke 20,000 songs! WOOT!

What brought me over the edge was RadioHead and Ratatat discographies given to me by a friend. And holy ****...I've been missing out.

It's great to leave that many songs constantly playing at random; from beastie boys to weather report to talking heads. Food for the soul....yum.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Just broke 20,000 songs! WOOT!

What brought me over the edge was RadioHead and Ratatat discographies given to me by a friend. And holy ****...I've been missing out.

It's great to leave that many songs constantly playing at random; from beastie boys to weather report to talking heads. Food for the soul....yum.

A friend tried to get me into Ratatat but I wasn't feeling it. I'd break 10,000 already if it wasn't for my OCD when it comes to file names and whotnot, and also the fact that i'm constantly restoring my ipod because its a POS. 20,000 is... well, bravo!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
You didn't like Ratatat? Have you heard what is probably their most popular song? http://www.supload.com/listen?s=8EKJCRU8E3ZB

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I'll check it out after work.

My friend only told me to check out two songs claiming they were their best songs and he said he thought i'd love them (we've known eachother like 15 years now so he knows me pretty well). I checked them out and one was ok... but then it got repetitive... and annoying.

I should've known better though, he likes a few of the same bands i like but he also ends up liking alot of mainstream cookie cutter crap as well as Abba and the A*teens. I've never even heard of the A*Teens before him...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Ya some of their stuff can be a bit repetitive, but it's in the same vein as something like Daft Punk (which is insanely repetitive). It just sounds so good you don't care if it simply repeats.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
eh... by that third or fourth cougar sound i had to shut it off. I guess i'll just never be into them. While Daft Punk is insanely repetitive, their music doesn't sound like some college kid making music with a synthesizer and a soundboard.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I can see that.

I'm curious,, what music do you genre do you listen to the most?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
I can see that.

I'm curious,, what music do you genre do you listen to the most?

That's somewhat unfair to answer because my taste is varies from time to time. Lately I've been listening to more hip-hop/dance/electro music, for instance. Since Sunday though, I've been listening to a lot more pop-punk/punk bands for reasons that would be familiar to fans of a particular band that shall rename nameless at the moment :)

To say i prefer X genre might skew ones opinion and easily dismiss my lack of interest for Ratatat as "oh well he just doesn't like Y music." That's not the case though, I just haven't found the song that opens the floodgates. By that I mean that there is usually a song or two by any given artist/band that just clicks with me and makes everything else they do accessable. It doesn't always happen though, which might be the case here.

For the record though, if you browsed my ipod/itunes by genre you'd have a higher percentage of artists labeled under some sort of "Rock" category.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
I've been listening to Girl Talk a whole lot lately, it's like the music that I'm hearing when I'm drunk. All songs I know all broken up and mashed together in my head and somehow forming an awesome paste of music. So basically is mash-up dance music done really well.

Also I've been listening to some more indie/alternatice music, like Plants and Animals (which is good stuff), Deerhunter (their album last year was in my Top 5) and Animal Collective (their new album this year is godly), all of which I recommend highly.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
I've been listening to Girl Talk a whole lot lately, it's like the music that I'm hearing when I'm drunk. All songs I know all broken up and mashed together in my head and somehow forming an awesome paste of music. So basically is mash-up dance music done really well.

Also I've been listening to some more indie/alternatice music, like Plants and Animals (which is good stuff), Deerhunter (their album last year was in my Top 5) and Animal Collective (their new album this year is godly), all of which I recommend highly.

I tried to give Girl Talk a try but i couldn't get into them, and i usually love mash-ups! I have a ton of them on my ipod, my favorite being Thriller+ Some snoop dogg song i don't know the name of, but its HOOOOOOOTTT. Girl Talk, was just...meh. I downloaded a few albums and tried to listen to random songs off everyone and nothing caught my attention.

I've gotten into a few indie bands recently, like She & Him which is the lovely Zoey Deschanel's musical project. Also, another indie band with a female lead that i've gotten into recently is Rilo Kiley, with said lead being Jenny Lewis of The Wizard fame (aka "HE TOUCHED MY BREASTs!"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
I can't find the newer music thread anywhere, so **** it, let's do it live!

Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
is fucking great!

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
We could use more music discussion here. I'm bumping without shame.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
I kinda like Volbeat now...Should I be ashamed?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Cal Tjader - Several Shades Of Jade

Seek it
Learn it
Love it
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Volbeat's first few albums are pretty alright in my opinion.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:40 PM »
This needs a revival. Don't you people like music???

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
I'm really excited for the new New Pornographers album "Whiteout Conditions" that's coming out on Friday. I'm a big fan of theirs in general, and the track from it that they released a few weeks ago, "High Ticket Attractions," was really good.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
This needs a revival. Don't you people like music???

Is that what you call those annoying patterns of sound? I hate that stuff!

I don't contribute to music discussions much because I'm never sure how well it will be received. Musical tastes just vary so much. People can play stuff and recommend stuff to me that they really like but it doesn't interest or catch my fancy and I can play stuff I like but they hate. I get all kinds of different comments from people. Some really like my music and others hate it. I never know what I'm going to get as a reaction so music becomes more of a private affair for me. I just listen to what I like on my own without worrying about how others are taking it. It's probably why I've never tried to contribute to the Music threads that have popped up.

From time to time, I try to find new music or artists that might interest me but it's just hard to find music that really appeals to me. I've got Sirius Radio in my car (although I'm not sure how long that's supposed to last.) I'll try listening to various channels on it in the hopes of finding something new but it takes a long time to find something I actually try to mentally remember and, even then, when I later stop driving I can forget the name and what it was I was going to look up. (It doesn't help that the one station I listened to with the most regularity and best match for me was replaced by a Garth Brooks channel. Ugh.) There are also music streaming channels that cable and satellite TV providers have among their channels listings. Same thing. I try listening to those from time to time but rarely find anything I want to look up and change the channel because I'm just not liking the stuff I am hearing to keep listening. If I do find something that interests me and then listen to it later, often it doesn't have the same appeal so I wonder if I only liked it because it sounded a little better than the stuff I was listening to and didn't like.

That said, if you really want to find out about the musical tastes of Khushrenada and what I have to recommend and offer, I'll start listing off all manner of recommendations from my collection of music. But I think I'd rather do it as a Funhouse thread than just dominating this thread with post after post of music and links which may not really appeal to anyone for all I know. At least that way, I can post willy-nilly and not feel like I'm derailing something.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I could have sworn I contributed to a thread a while back, but I'm not seeing my comment in this one.  Like Khush said, music personal taste is pretty subjective, but I'll provide some input of some all-time favorites of mine, along with some that are "favorites of the moment"

All-Time Favorite:

Band: Death Cab for Cutie
Notable Albums: Transatlanticism, Plans, Kintsugi
Notable Songs: "Title & Registration", "Styrofoam Plates", "A Movie Script Ending", "No Room in Frame", "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"

This is a band I can't speak positively enough about.  They have mostly been a band that is as much a vehicle for the lead singer Benjamin Gibbard's impeccable lyrical prose, but have music that accompanies the themes and tone of the lyrics better than most.  Their roots are steeped in a very "typical" indie band sound, simple melodies and occasional tinny sounding guitar and muted accompaniment, but their tone and depth in musical ability has grown and evolved over time, with them using that experience to produce their newest album, Kintsugi, that sounds like a band who wants to take the development of what their prior couple of albums taught them and apply it to a sound that is genuine Death Cab for Cutie. 

Frankly, their album they first blew up with, Transatlanticism, is best listened to front to end in my opinion.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
That said, if you really want to find out about the musical tastes of Khushrenada and what I have to recommend and offer, I'll start listing off all manner of recommendations from my collection of music. But I think I'd rather do it as a Funhouse thread than just dominating this thread with post after post of music and links which may not really appeal to anyone for all I know. At least that way, I can post willy-nilly and not feel like I'm derailing something.

Not much to derail here, and it's for music discussion of all kinds. I'm pretty open to everything.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
Alright but its going to probably be about 3 pages worth of me linking and talking about various Nickleback songs and albums.

No. That is a joke. You can come out of your music bunkers. However, I still think I'll just create a thread in the Funhouse anyways with my links. It is still my home planet and it still needs me.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
No. That is a joke. You can come out of your music bunkers. However, I still think I'll just create a thread in the Funhouse anyways with my links. It is still my home planet and it still needs me.
Note:Khushrenada died on his way back to his home planet
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »
I like the Death Cab write-up lolmonade, though I can't say I've ever gotten into them.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
Note:Khushrenada died on his way back to his home planet

You get it! Part of me hopes somebody with an alternate Khushrenada account would log in and help make this a joke for awhile but the problem with duplicate accounts is all the logging in and out and passwords over multiple devices. It just makes it hard to bother with it all.

I like the Death Cab write-up lolmonade, though I can't say I've ever gotten into them.

Here we go! No sooner does someone post about music they like when Mr. Critic shows up and has to crap all over their selection! This is why I keep my music views to myself! I couldn't resist the jab. The events were set up perfectly.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
The mod powers are going to his head!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »

Thanks.  No problem if we don't share tastes in music.  What catches my ear is pretty diverse, I plan on updating this topic with a few more write-ups as I can find time.  Always happy to share and see if I can introduce music to someone, but Death Cab is a pretty established band by now.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
I actually meant "never gotten into them" as in I haven't heard/haven't made an effort to check their discography. I don't have an opinion on their music since I don't know if I've heard it.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »
All-Time Favorites:

Band: Murder by Death
Notable Albums:"Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them?", "In Bocca al Lupo", "Red of Tooth and Claw"
Notable Songs: "The Devil in Mexico", "End of the Line", "Boy Decide", "The Big Sleep", "Shiola", "Comin' Home", "Rumbrave", "Ash"

Murder by Death, while now more known for a folksy sound, originated as a fairly muted Indie beginnings under their first album "Like the Exorcist, but More Breakdancing".  This debut album features several instrumental interludes and muted vocals that have let sprawling piano and cello set the mood and theme of the album.  Since then, they have branched out into music that transports you in a setting of the wild west, with fast tempo'd guitar & cello, piano accompaniment, to thoughtful ballads and muted solo guitar songs, and a vocalist who has gone from a mid-range thin voice to a deep bellow. 

If you like anything remotely in the folk wheelhouse, this is worth a listen.  If not, you might still be able to find a song or two you appreciate from them.  Give them a listen.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:36:20 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »
I like the template you got going on here. Never heard of these guys but might be worth it.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »
Thanks, I'll try to add some more as I have time to.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
Do you listen much to Modest Mouse? I'm getting the feeling that they'd be in your wheelhouse if they aren't already.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
Two of my favorite bands finally got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday: Yes and Journey. :D
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »
Two of my favorite bands finally got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday: Yes and Journey. :D

Thanks Phil now I'll have Owner of a lonely Heart stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »

Thanks Phil now I'll have Owner of a lonely Heart stuck in my head the rest of the day.

You're welcome! But how about an acoustic version of Roundabout to share space in your head?

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
They didn't have Yes in there beforehand?

What the ****?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
I KNOW, right?! For about 2-3 years prior they were nominated but didn't get in for some reason. It's amazing it took a fan vote to get them in.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
I mean, given the people still excluded and the questionable people that were included, I don't take the Hall very seriously. But it's pretty laughable that one of the defining prog rock bands got snubbed for such a long period of time. Madonna beat Yes into a ROCK hall of fame. That's just not right.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
Do you listen much to Modest Mouse? I'm getting the feeling that they'd be in your wheelhouse if they aren't already.

On a blue moon, I will get in the mood to play a little modest mouse.  Some of their music is just a little too bombastic, and something doesn't jive with my tastes with the way the lead singer sounds sometimes.  Just a personal taste issue, I suppose.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Their sound is definitely something else, which is why I'm so drawn to then. Their take on folksy alt./indie rock is unique in its presentation, which is helped by Isaac Brock's distinctive vocals and his trademark poetic lyricism.

You'd probably like Moon & Antarctica, it's a more restrained and quiet, despairing affair when compared to their previous and current work.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
VV Brown announced her retirement from the music industry this week.

Her last album, Samson & Delilah, was the best career reboot i've ever seen any artist successfully make into a sound that's so far away from anyone else there's no real name for it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »
For Silenced, who cares about music so much, here's the latest song to be stuck in my head.

For BnM, who probably won't check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu3FE7BswYI

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Huey Lewis is cancelling all further shows because of hearing loss. Sad day for music lovers, easily one of my favorite bands of all time.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
We'll always have Sports
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2018, 11:57:52 PM »
In my quest to discover the roots of heavy metal and punk rock I finally caved and picked up Led Zepplin. I have a confession. I never listened to any of their songs before. I went to Spotify and confirmed my suspicion they must have had songs I heard but didn't know where them. Shamefully I regret to inform that I have yet to listen to Stairway to Heaven. Every time I try I get distracted.

I was always shielded from this band. KISS, Led Zepplin and Marylin Manson were three bands my parents forbade in their house. I got heavy into Manson and Kiss once I moved out but Zepplin I just never found myself that motivated.

Thoughts on the actual record. Okay, old timey rock n roll is not my thing. I prefer the glam rock or hair metal of the 80's but can enjoy some of the earlier stuff to a certain extent. I am not a big fan of electric guitars to start off with. Not sure what it is.

Anyways it didn't quite satisfy my curiosity so I used Spotify to listen to their first three self titled albums. I skimmed them but I realized, and I know I'll get banned/hated for this, but nope this band did nothing for me. Sorry. I can see how they were an influence on other bands but I felt like they were too bluesy for my taste.

I spent the rest of the day jamming out to Spice Girls (I also picked up Spice World) and that was more like it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2018, 12:34:08 AM »
I feel like I've only listened to Stairway to Heaven twice in my life. Part of that might be because, like you, it doesn't engage me. So, I may have heard it in other media or maybe even on the radio before but I find it unmemorable and simple so it doesn't stick in my head nor would I seek out on hearing it again. I just know that I've tried a couple times to listen to it all the way through to make sure I wasn't missing something and it just doesn't stick with me.

As far as Led Zeppelin in general, the only songs I'm somewhat familiar with are Kashmir and Black Dog. Even then, I think it is more from those songs being sampled in other media than from actually listening to them. I find Zeppelin seems to work better when it is just being sampled like that.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
Probably. I didn't even know that song in Ragnarock was theirs until my dad walked out of the movie cuz it was that devil music.