Author Topic: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Oh God, transition raped my text!  (Read 121630 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
I like Jon's idea that would be a good implementation, he did say some would be hidden and I dont recall him saying how they would be unlocked.

Also, perhaps the delay will allow Nintendo to update the VC roster to keep up with the games demos. It's a far better reason than my personal hope (and of many others I'm sure) that the delay will allow it to coincide with the release original content on the WiiWare channel, which of course would include updating games and of the external HDD.

I would love if it was SSD if for no other reason than to one up Sony and MS both of whom's computer divisions will be pushing this product elsewhere, but man it would be expensive! Although it would be a good jumpstart on getting them mass produced and the initial cost may drop in light of demand if it does release with SMB which is undoubtedly going to sell insanely well everywhere, and thus increase demand for the drive SSD's in general and we may see them appearing in more consumer devices sooner than expected, but I digress.

Just in case; SSD is a Solid State Disc, it's basically a really big flash drive, so it's a whole lot faster, uses a whole lot less power (cuz it doesnt need to spin), is quieter(see reason for less power), and is infintely more durable. I think right now the biggest SSD you can buy is 64GB so they've got a way to go on development, but for a non-entertainment center doubling console a smaller 2 - 8GB drive (that works with existing drive in the Wii instead of the way SD cards do). That actually makes me think that instead of going through all that trouble they could just allow us to use a USB flash drive in the same fashion, they could even sell Wii branded ones, or for the sake of not transfering games and such make Wii-only drives, but perhaps just make a write-protection software embedded into the files, like DRM, instead of how memory cards used to be console specific in the old days.

Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile

MaryJane wrote:
Squeezing money out of you by say... making a sequel with updated roster and stages and charging $50?

You act like they only added characters and stages. Brawl is everything Melee was, should have been, and then some.  If I didn't think so, I wouldn't pay $50 for it. Repackaging Melee with WiFi support would have been a different story. In any case, I've always purchased a game with the intention of only paying for the price of entry. Things like patches and downloadable content just make me think that the developer didn't bother making the game right when it went gold. Sure, patches are free (normally, right?), but it'll be a sad day when Nintendo releases patches for one of their games. So much for their development philosophy......

And not to insult but your point about people not buying the same updates is moot because this game is full of unlockables which not everyone is going to get at the same time

How so? Even if someone didn't unlock something, the data is still on his/her game disc. I'd more inclined to believe this wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo's online service was anywhere near as robust as Xbox Live. Yeah, I went there.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: MaryJane

Originally posted by: Adrock

In any case, I'm not a fan of downloadable updates, patches or content. Make the game right the first time and stop trying to squeeze more money out of me!

Squeezing money out of you by say... making a sequel with updated roster and stages and charging $50? Besides as of yet, no system has seen a SMB sequel, this would allow that tradition to continue. And not to insult but your point about people not buying the same updates is moot because this game is full of unlockables which not everyone is going to get at the same time, and the myriad of games which have dealt with the same issue on XBL say it can be overcome.

I swear, you people will not stop until Nintendo actually includes a $50 bill in each copy, because...why not? They can do that too! Why aren't they doing that?! Honestly, I'm old enough to remember to endless Street Fighter II releases that added a couple new characters at a time, and people ate that stuff up. Now, with Smash Bros. they're basically overhauling the whole game, with all new stages, at least a dozen new fighters, and a new story mode, and now you say they're ripping you off? Lord Almighty. If Nintendo didn't think it was a big enough change from Melee, it wouldn't still be keeping the older game on the shelves, as it's Wii-compatible, you know.

That said, you're right; any unlockables make the playing field uneven, so I think people who don't want to be spoiled will have to stay offline if it's that important.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I'd guess that it was a compromise... I can picture Sakurai wanting to put full free games in there and Nintendo saying "Um... no."

I agree, but I understand Nintendo since the virtual console is already there with fairly priced not really games. Charging $30 for Metroid for the GBA was a travesty specially because Prime+Fusion and Zero Mission had it unlockable, but this was the obvious thing to do. More than likely you will be able to unlock even more things into this timed demos because at this point I think we can expect anything.

What I really want now is the willpower to stay off the internet until the game is released, at least have a blackout for anything related to Smash, isn't there a support group somewhere? it seems so impossible

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile

What I really want now is the willpower to stay off the internet until the game is released, at least have a blackout for anything related to Smash, isn't there a support group somewhere? it seems so impossible

I know what you mean. I set out from the start that I was going to avoid all spoilers etc but I recently realized that it wouldn't be a good idea. Think about it, if you wait until the game comes out to see all the features, characters etc, you would only be hyping it up like crazy. If the game comes out and you are the least bit underwhelmed, you'll kick yourself for waiting and building it up so long.....at least thats what I figure.

"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Zipolo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I think it'd be nice if SSBB could check online (or in the Wii memory, wherever it is that the information on whether you've purchased a game or not is stored) and remove the time limit if it discovers that you own that game. So that way you could play the game through Brawl without keeping it stored in the Wii's internal memory, rather than having one copy in memory and another, time-limited, one sitting on the Brawl disc that never gets used.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
lol wonder what thetime limit for super mario bros, cus i can beat that in like 5 minutes  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Nintendo should give some sort of discount and if you are good at the demo and advance a lot under the time limit or kill the boss without any hit they should just give you away the game or at least for half the wii points or something.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: mantidor
Nintendo should give some sort of discount and if you are good at the demo and advance a lot under the time limit or kill the boss without any hit they should just give you away the game or at least for half the wii points or something.

YES! I was thinking the same thing too! Since you already bought Brawl they should give people a VC discount on selected games when you buy them through Smash Bros. Brawl. Of course, it will be a limited time offer so it expires a couple of months after release.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile

Originally posted by: mantidor

Yeah, because Nintendo would love to get less money from people who are really good at video games, and are likely their biggest consumers. And since when does buying one game entitle you to another for free? Did you guys have to put down a kidney or something with your pre-order?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
you guys totally missed my point about the $50 thing. I was just saying instead of releasing a sequel on the same console which they have never done, they can just give us cheaper updates, or updates that add up to $50 except you have the choice of what you want to add to the game. You would also of course have the choice to never update and continue playing the game in it's original version, just be prepared to be potentially pwnd online. That's all I was saying, and hey give Nintendo a chance, we're all aware that Nintendo is woefully late to the online party, so let's see what they'll do with the WiiWare service in terms of "robustness".
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile

Originally posted by: MaryJane
you guys totally missed my point about the $50 thing. I was just saying instead of releasing a sequel on the same console which they have never done, they can just give us cheaper updates, or updates that add up to $50 except you have the choice of what you want to add to the game. You would also of course have the choice to never update and continue playing the game in it's original version, just be prepared to be potentially pwnd online. That's all I was saying, and hey give Nintendo a chance, we're all aware that Nintendo is woefully late to the online party, so let's see what they'll do with the WiiWare service in terms of "robustness".

But keep in mind that Sakurai's moving on from Brawl after it gets released (he's not a Nintendo employee after all), and I doubt they'd release updates made without his supervision. All I'm saying is, try to be satisfied with the shipped product.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
It's the update equivalent of a recap episode...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
What an, um, amazing update? Menus.....wow.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
The only thing worth noting is that both this update and the new sticker video on the interview show us EBA stickers...
I hate to act like a fanboy, but are they hinting something?

Also, I'll be pissed if they don't get trophies at the very least...

As for the update, pretty blah. Although, it might hint that this is going to be it for extra modes and to not expect anymore surprises.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
I noticed the menus are different in the Japanese version...

Also we get an idea of how long these Masterpiece demos last; Ice Climber's only 40 seconds. Also, it looks like each franchise only gets one, as Super Mario Bros. is nestled in between everything else, though who knows how many you can unlock, or even if you can.

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
    • View Profile
I am intrigued about this swimming that has to be done for the Kappn' trophy that was shown in the challenge screen shot for today's update. I didn't miss something on this already did I?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I just noticed something...

I know I said that the update might indicate that this is going to be it for features, but look at the trophies and stickers menu screenshot. There is enough space for one more option...

This could mean that there is one mode left to discover or that the artists are terrible at making menu screens...

Also, am I the only one happy to see an Excite truck trophy? Hope its also an AT...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
Wonder why you can delete photos or levels sent to you.  What if you don't like them?  What if you want to hold on to it permanently?  Hmm

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Welp my dream of a Virtual Boy level and VC game may become reality.  Come on Teleroboxer event battle.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
With the ability for users to create and share their custom made stages, it would be foolish of Nintendo not to create more elaborate stages themselves. And btw, I am extremely satisfied with the finished product (despite the fact that I don't have it yet), I'm just saying more of a good thing, can't be a bad thing can it? I don't think so, at least not in the world of video games.

I've been worried since the first delay, about what kind of updates Sakurai would be posting (he and his had to have had a timeline set out for the original release date in terms of what they wanted to put out), so between now and the games release expect more "blah" updates. This is a massive games, but it will be interesting to see how the updates deal with 2 extra months.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile

Originally posted by: pap64
The only thing worth noting is that both this update and the new sticker video on the interview show us EBA stickers...

As for the update, pretty blah. Although, it might hint that this is going to be it for extra modes and to not expect anymore surprises.

What from EBA shows up in the sticker video? I looked but didn't see one. I did see Morris on the blog, though. I think it's cool that they're stickers, so they can give groove-related stat boosts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

What from EBA shows up in the sticker video? I looked but didn't see one. I did see Morris on the blog, though. I think it's cool that they're stickers, so they can give groove-related stat boosts.

They show up in the Japanese version of the video. The player scrolls through the Agent J sticker and uses a Kahn sticker on the base.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
Oh dear, I just noticed this...

"The top menu contains six different modes, but I?ve decided to introduce the finer points of each mode one by one."

If Sakurai spends the last four updates before the game's launch TALKING ABOUT THE F*CKING OPTIONS MENU, then I think we can safely say that he's trying to REDUCE hype for the game to avoid more people complaining about not getting a copy of Brawl when it releases in Japan...

If Sakurai doesn't drop at least one final "MEGATOOOOOOOOOOONNN!" on the blog before launch, then he's wasted a golden opportunity.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile

They show up in the Japanese version of the video. The player scrolls through the Agent J sticker and uses a Kahn sticker on the base.

Oh, cool. Thanks.