Author Topic: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Oh God, transition raped my text!  (Read 121603 times)

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Mario
This could just be lame enough to ruin the game. I liked stickers before they were an RPG

I... I... I... I have no words... all I can think of is that there is no arguing in matters of taste... but... I... just cannot comprehend your... your... displeasure... I... have no words...    
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: anubis6789

This could just be lame enough to ruin the game. I liked stickers before they were an RPG

I... I... I... I have no words... all I can think of is that there is no arguing in matters of taste... but... I... just cannot comprehend your... your... displeasure... I... have no words...

Oh man, I bet tournyf...olk will hate stickers.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Crimm

Oh man, I bet tournyf...olk will hate stickers.

No they won't, this can only be done in adventure mode, it has nothing to do with tournaments.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Yea as I read the update I was like WTF but then I realized it was only SSE mode.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
It'll be fun just to see what stickers have what attributes.
Now I wonder if the "regular" trophies have any secrets left up their sleeve.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
Though I'm sort of disappointed by this update for the simple fact that it seems to indicate I can't put stickers on the characters themselves.  There goes huge Fuzzy Eyebrow Olimar...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile

Finally someone with me, I love math, but I hate it in games. RPGs and their mechanics are terrible. Somehow the only one which manages to not make it incredibly annoying and boring are the paper mario games. At least theres the option to put them randomly and not being bothered by it.

Also, Olimar FS dissapointed but was expected, I want to see how much pikmins can the wii handle in a single screen, maybe there will be some sort of event or something, hopefully.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
I wouldn't worry too much about math. You can't even add two stickers of the same type together, so the only math you really need to worry about is "which number is the biggest?"  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
HAHAHA!

It's the armor jewels from Diablo!!! And I mean an EXACT rip off, too, right down to the limited space and non-stackable effects...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I like it a lot.  Adding RPG elements gives this game a more personal feel.  You can customize your character to your own preference.   I quite think this is one of the best updates yet.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
HAHAHA!

It's the armor jewels from Diablo!!! And I mean an EXACT rip off, too, right down to the limited space and non-stackable effects...

SSE Diablo Clone Confirmed.  Grind and loot with friends.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I'm sure Sakurai plays alot of Diablo in his spare time.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
It reminds me of the capsules in DBZ games.  I'm actually a little disappointed by this.  I wanted the adventure mode to be a pure test of skill.  The stickers not only introduce the possibility that the mode is balanced for these upgrades, but they also introduce a grinding for loot aspect.  

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
You technically do not have to either use or collect the stickers.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

You technically do not have to either use or collect the stickers.

I think you are correct, I have a feeling the mode will be beatable without stickers but they give you an "edge" if you wish to use them, kind of like Madden cards in the Madden series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile

Originally posted by: PartyBear
It reminds me of the capsules in DBZ games.  I'm actually a little disappointed by this.  I wanted the adventure mode to be a pure test of skill.  The stickers not only introduce the possibility that the mode is balanced for these upgrades, but they also introduce a grinding for loot aspect.

I agree.

I doubt I'm going to be using stickers because I want this to be all about teh skillz.

But I'm guessing they added this in so casual types could have something to fall back on if they can't hack it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
I think we're looking a little too much into this. There's no way stickers will make smash anything close to another Diablo or WoW. Its been said lots of times that stickers will be given out like crazy. There won't be any need for grinding, or being "undergeared" or a brawl DKP system(god forbid). I really think its just a side bonus to mess around with whatever stickers you have to see what kind of combinations you can come up with. And it also makes replaying SSE (for unlockable trophies, stages, characters etc) alot more interesting. Also as some already said, I can pretty much guarantee you right now that you will not need stickers to beat the game.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Some new info from Ruliweb...Some minor story/character elements involved, so I'll spoiler them just in case...

~ Some trophies will appear as Assist Trophies if you gain them
~ A boss in Subspace Emissary is from the Fire Emblem series. He does not fight but he summons monsters.
~ Boss rush mode after clearing Subspace Emissary.
~ You will need 240 hours to clear Subspace Emissary with every character available. [Bill: What?  I'm thinking some slight exaggeration here, but to hear it's a lot is nice to know...Of course, there is the possibility that you can replay specific stages with every character after you've beaten SSE...]
~ Bowser, King Dedede and Wario also appear as bosses in the Subspace Emissary mode...They are being mind controlled
~ If you have a save data of SSBM you will get special trophies, BGM etc.
~ Same with Super Mario Galaxy and some other Wii games.  [Bill: I've heard that you get Mario Galaxy music for having Mario Galaxy save data!]      
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Some new info from Ruliweb...Some minor story/character elements involved, so I'll spoiler them just in case...

~ Some trophies will appear as Assist Trophies if you gain them

~ A boss in Subspace Emissary is from the Fire Emblem series. He does not fight but he summons monsters.

~ Boss rush mode after clearing Subspace Emissary.

~ You will need 240 hours to clear Subspace Emissary with every character available. [Bill: What?  I'm thinking some slight exaggeration here, but to hear it's a lot is nice to know...Of course, there is the possibility that you can replay specific stages with every character after you've beaten SSE...]

~ Bowser, King Dedede and Wario also appear as bosses in the Subspace Emissary mode...They are being mind controlled

~ If you have a save data of SSBM you will get special trophies, BGM etc.

~ Same with Super Mario Galaxy and some other Wii games.  [Bill: I've heard that you get Mario Galaxy music for having Mario Galaxy save data!]

All of this new info and STILL no tid bits on secret characters? Screw Famitsu...

As for the sticker power up I don't care what everyone else thinks. I don't care if it was inspired by WoW, Final Fantasy, Diablo or someone's mother or if it adds or takes away from the game. I still have to give Sakurai nods for creating a collectible which is actually worth my time.

I mean, even Sakurai looked like kinda unimpressed when he introduced the stickers a few months ago. They are essentially pieces of recycled and old artwork turned into a collectible. So the fact that they added an extra to them is admirable and I am surprised that no one else has noticed that.

People bitched that the stickers were a dumb collectible, now that they are actually worth a damn it takes away from the game?  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
I think the sticker announcement is freaking awesome. Pap you hit it right on the head, it's a collectible worth your time. I love it. If you aren't into the stickers, don't use them. Everybody wins.
Check out PixlBit!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo made the publications sign NDAs regarding the secret characters until at least after the game is released.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
I appreciate the spoiler filters

lets make a habit of it if possble  
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: insanolord
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo made the publications sign NDAs regarding the secret characters until at least after the game is released.

Sadly, that might be the case. But still, it would be silly to make a detailed strategy guide for a fighter and avoid how to unlock secret characters.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
Friends don't let friends use stickers.

Originally posted by: pap64 Sadly, that might be the case. But still, it would be silly to make a detailed strategy guide for a fighter and avoid how to unlock secret characters.

I'm frankly stunned it hasn't been leaked yet.

Last time, we had the full roster 20 days before Melee launched in Japan (no one wanted to believe it because it sucked ass, but still, we had it).

There must be a crapton of review copies of Brawl and whatnot. I can't imagine how the list hasn't been leaked yet...  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Friends don't let friends use stickers.

F*ck you, SB. I don't tell you how to live your life so don't tell how to live mine!

Now that we got the angst out of the way, it IS surprising that the secret characters haven't even been hinted at.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer