Author Topic: PGC is Hiring!  (Read 14557 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PGC is Hiring!
« on: February 03, 2003, 01:49:45 PM »
Want to join the world's largest free Nintendo site?  If you've got the skills, we've got a few positions open.

PGC is hiring!  We need intelligent, hard-working volunteers to help make Planet GameCube the best it can be.  If you’re interested, please read the list of openings and the application criteria carefully.  (If you can’t follow simple instructions, you’re not cut out for PGC anyway.)

We are mainly looking for people based on location.  If you don’t live in one of these places but still want to join us, please do not apply now.  We hire new staff periodically, and something in your field will probably open up soon.

We need one person in each of these locations.  You don’t have to live exactly in this place, but you need to be close enough to travel there for press events on fairly short notice.  

New York

Minneapolis

San Francisco

Japan

Europe

Australia

Applicants must have some writing experience, preferably with published work either online or offline.  Obviously, you must also be an avid gamer who keeps up with all the latest releases for Nintendo’s systems.  You must be able to work with others and take on writing assignments, even if it means writing about a game you could care less about.  (Though we do try to make sure that doesn’t happen.)  You must be able to write in a timely manner and accept edits and critiques of your work before it is published on PGC.

Applicants that have access to digital cameras and/or digital video cameras are also a plus.

Your application should include an introduction to yourself, some personal information (age, location), at least one writing sample (preferably on the subject of games), and a resume if you have one.  Web links to writing samples and resumes are fine.  If you have photo evidence of your Nintendo fanaticism, feel free to include it with your application, though zeal for Nintendo’s games and systems is no substitute for writing skills.  Above all, make your application interesting, unique, and brief.

When you have read this page thoroughly and have assembled your application materials, send them to louiethecat@planetgamecube.com.  Please optimize file attachments as much as possible, i.e. zip up large numbers of documents and compress pictures.  Selections will be made within 2-3 weeks.  Only those selected will be contacted.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 01:57:18 PM »
Are you sure that you don't need another Canuck on the staff?  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Mojo

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 02:05:02 PM »
That's prejudice against people who don't live in those areas. How about a writer that lives in Ontario and can't go anywhere?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 02:09:14 PM »
It isn't PREJUDICE.  Get a dictionary.  There is no law or rule that says a business has to hire anyone from any specific location.  Next thing you're going to tell us that we're prejudiced against people who are illiterate.

But no, we already have Canadians on our staff, so that region is covered.  The regions/states we're hiring for are places where press events are frequently held and we need staff to attend.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 02:11:55 PM »
This is like the third time I'm unqualified for a position because of where I live.  ARRRRRRGH!

I've got to move to Europe or Japan.  *checks release lists* Make that just Japan.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 03:04:28 PM »
I live in New York City (well... Staten Island but it's quite close plus it is a borough of New York City ). However, I am currently "hired" by www.htwoz.com. But the problem is that I have received no notification on when the site will be up again and I was hired during the period that it was down. But I suppose I can send in an application as a "back up" in case the situation at HTWOZ does not go well for me. That and if PGC is unable to find anyone else available in or around the New York area. But I'll have to pose a question: Am I permitted to do something like that in the first place?

Just a question though, is this just New York City or the state of New York? As traveling to areas outside of the city is quite out of my ability at the current time until college is out, even if it is within the state. Other than that I am capable of traveling to other areas in New York State provided I have a good notice ahead of time.

Also, please note that I have no prior writing experience in terms of published works, both professional and unprofessional. Would that pose a problem? Please note that I will provide a writing sample or two (a review and an editorial) to give an example of my writing capabilities to be judged.

Thank you for your time in responding to my questions and I may be submitting an application before the week is done based on the response to my questions.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 03:08:04 PM »
Sky,

If you re-read the posting, many of your questions are already answered.

"You don’t have to live exactly in this place, but you need to be close enough to travel there for press events on fairly short notice. "

"Applicants must have some writing experience, preferably with published work either online or offline."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 03:59:33 PM »
Well, if you ever need anyone who lives in the middle of nowhere, does not have a digital camera, vehicle, money, or anything of that sort, but can write well, owns a GameCube, loves Nintendo, and speaks a little Japanese, you know where to find me.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Mojo

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 04:42:46 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
It isn't PREJUDICE.  Get a dictionary.  There is no law or rule that says a business has to hire anyone from any specific location.  Next thing you're going to tell us that we're prejudiced against people who are illiterate.

But no, we already have Canadians on our staff, so that region is covered.  The regions/states we're hiring for are places where press events are frequently held and we need staff to attend.

I don't understand this "region" stuff. If one of your 30 staffers can't make it to "Acclaim Day", who cares? I'm sure that's not what your readers want to see anyways. By limiting your selection to these few areas you're dramatically decreasing your chances of scoring a good writer.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 04:47:45 PM »
You don't understand it because you're clearly not paying attention.  We don't NEED any more "good writers".  We need people who are VERSATILE.  We need people who can attend these events, we need people who can write, and we need people who get get photos and video.  We don't need some keyboard jockey who doesn't want to leave his house.  We need people who can act like professional journalists, not just pretend to be one on the Internet.

Writing is a very SMALL part of it.

Offline epicac

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 05:38:13 PM »
Minneapolis? Are there a lot of video game conventions there?

I live smack dab in the middle of Texas, so Austin, Houston, and Dallas are all within two hours of my apartment. I have a digital camera and a modicum of writing ability. I understand your need for staff-members in those specific areas, but if you ever need a Texan on the staff, well, I'll probably read it on the site.

PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 06:07:44 PM »
If it's not much I have a question. I live in germany, would I have to speak the languge of the country I live in? I do have a video camera and would for the most part be able to leave on a moments notice. I love Nintendo, I have been a fan all my life. I would never buy any other system but Nintendo.
If you see me please just walk on by, walk on by forget my name and I'll forget it to

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 06:21:23 PM »
Germany isn't one of the areas we're looking to hire someone in, sorry.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 06:37:58 PM »
Rick, would New Zealand be counted?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 06:40:30 PM »
"You don’t have to live exactly in this place, but you need to be close enough to travel there for press events on fairly short notice."

Unless you can get to mainland Australia on a regular basis for events and whatnot, and on short notice, I would have to say ... No.

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 07:11:20 PM »
I live near San Francisco. But Im not sure if I could be resposinble enough. Do you have to be over 18? Can you be a minor (16) and still do it?
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline jaredfogle

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 07:30:58 PM »
I may (note that i said maybe, so i amnt promising anything) be willing to take this job...... but you must answer me a few questions first. How much will I get paid? ANd I live in rural Tennessee, but I can go to New York once a year. I am well qualifiet, i have spellchk, and i also just got a 93 on a Engilsh paper i did. Also will I have it in time to go to E3? And will i hav to pay for my own tickets to E3.

Just Kidding.

Offline keitarou

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2003, 07:38:55 PM »
I live near San Francisco, too.  How much time is required per week?  In other words, how often a week do these events happen?  I have a car, part-time work, and a couple of classes, but I have my occasional spare times.  I'm only speculating, though.  I have only written one game review like 3-4 years ago on Chrono Trigger that appeared in UCLA's short-termed Video Game club, but haven't done much since then.  I also man own website for Animal Crossing.  I have played nintendo since their LCD games to the gamecube (sans Virtual Boy).  The only thing I'm missing would be a digital camera.  The best I have would be my dad's digital camcorder.  

Again, this is only speculation cuz I'm still a little uncertain, what with my odd but hectic schedule.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2003, 07:51:51 PM »
Some of you are acting like we've already offered you a job.  We're accepting applications.  Although we'll be glad to answer general questions, if you're interested you should simply send us your complete application, and if you meet the requirements you will be contacted.

Oh and the word volunteer should have clued you in that this is not a paid position.  None of us get paid.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline keitarou

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2003, 07:57:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Some of you are acting like we've already offered you a job.  We're accepting applications.  Although we'll be glad to answer general questions, if you're interested you should simply send us your complete application, and if you meet the requirements you will be contacted.

Oh and the word volunteer should have clued you in that this is not a paid position.  None of us get paid.
Sorry 'bout that. I'll try to send an application later, then.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2003, 11:23:53 PM »

Originally posted by: "Sky"
However, I am currently "hired" by www.htwoz.com. But the problem is that I have received no notification on when the site will be up again and I was hired during the period that it was down
Yeah right you were hired by them. I mean for starters it HTLOZ not HTWOZ. Heck i bet you dont even know what HTLOZ stands for! (Hyrule the Land of Zelda)

Suprise Rick! You said you were looking for a a person that lives in Europe and Germany just so happens to be a european country! Also guys get a map out. No not a crappy map, get Peter's Projection or a globe of the world. That's right guys. Australia is enormas. I can imagine if I get the job. You guys ring me up "Roland, Ben's sick and we need you to be at EA Gold Coast's press event, it starts tomorrow at 2:30pm" Of course I guess it's not your fault that I have to then make a 4 hour flight to get to Brisbane and then catch a train or something I dont God-damn know to get to the Gold Coast.
Please be more specific in where you need these Europeans and Australians.
For a helping hand, just about all Aussie game developers, or at least all those worth a crap reside in Melbourne. This includes NAL's headquaters. Where i live, on the other side of the continent, is near the biggest port in Australia and a warehouse of Nintendo goods (Fremantle)
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 11:37:57 PM »
When you say Europe, do you mean England?
Because where I live in The Netherlands - Europe, we don't get that many big events, the only press promotional events Nintendo threw last year were the CubeClub parties.

However, I can supply you with a detailed European Release Dates List.
I've been keeping this list up to date for over a year now, but now that I mention it, I remember offering my help to your staff before and got ignored, so I'm leaving it at this.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2003, 11:54:42 PM »
HAH HAH!! I was wondering about that myself earlier today.  I'll see if I can bug Rick or Billy about being a little more specific.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Fire-WSP

• View Profile
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2003, 01:09:26 AM »

Suprise Rick! You said you were looking for a a person that lives in Europe and Germany just so happens to be a european country! Also guys get a map out. No not a crappy map, get Peter's Projection or a globe of the world. That's right guys. Australia is enormas. I can imagine if I get the job. You guys ring me up "Roland, Ben's sick and we need you to be at EA Gold Coast's press event, it starts tomorrow at 2:30pm" Of course I guess it's not your fault that I have to then make a 4 hour flight to get to Brisbane and then catch a train or something I dont God-damn know to get to the Gold Coast.
Please be more specific in where you need these Europeans and Australians.
For a helping hand, just about all Aussie game developers, or at least all those worth a crap reside in Melbourne. This includes NAL's headquaters. Where i live, on the other side of the continent, is near the biggest port in Australia and a warehouse of Nintendo goods (Fremantle)

He is right!
Germany IS in Europe and is one of the important countrys of Europe.
Nintendo of Europe is in Germany located in Großostheim and and the Product Testing part is in Frankfurt a. Main.
Most of the Nintendo Events are in Germany. Than England, Brüssel, Cannes, Holland...
But Rick if you say you have allready People in Germany than of course everthing is clear for me.

CoAdmin from www.Translationcentre.de
Admin from
www.ngc-hq.com
Member of Alemanic
Transmaster from German Translation Board

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
PGC is Hiring!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2003, 03:24:56 AM »
Yes I had a suspison that Nintendo Europe was big in Germany what with the german flag all over the international section of nintendo.com. It was ounce a super power you know. That was until WW1.
I'm sorry for my arrogance, I just went back to school and what do you know, I chose Geography and History for two of my TEE subjects.

Please be more specific.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.