Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 138583 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2003, 01:57:13 AM »
Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be confusing like what you guys are describing, cause right now, I'm confused as hell.

E3.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2003, 09:14:46 AM »
I think this game has been ruined IMO. Whats with the 2 people to a kart idea? I don't like it at all. I was hoping for single karts....I guess I'll just have to play the game and see if I like it but so far its a rental.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2003, 09:19:47 AM »
I love how people make snap judgements about something based on a couple screenshots.  Hasn't The Wind Waker taught you people ANYTHING?  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2003, 10:29:14 AM »
I know Rick, some people just never learn  If Ninty wasn't around to change things around and make risks, people would be complaining about how its the same thing.  So everyone just chill out and wait to try it for yourself, or at least wait till we get more than a half dozen tiny pics that have been blown up(which has made the graphics look jaggy and washed out)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NintendoKiD

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2003, 11:08:16 AM »
Rick and Bill, I wasnt bias towards the Wind Waker, I thought it would be excellent from the start. I'm saying that I do not like the 2 people to a kart idea...I just  think its going in the wrong direction. I would much rather it be single karts like it has always been.
Currently Playing

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2003, 01:32:40 PM »
I imagine that you can play with one person per kart.  It'd be kind of weird to HAVE to play with two people.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2003, 01:39:42 PM »
The most obvious guess would be that the player controls BOTH characters on the kart, but I would like to see the option of having a friend be the weapons expert while I drive.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2003, 02:39:26 PM »
Bill, that's exactly it.  You can hook up two Gamecubes so up to eight people can play on one TV.  There are two people per kart, on who drives and one that uses weapons, and you can switch between driving and weapons if you want.  I imagine there is the option to play with one person per kart, though, or control both people.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline "Sky"

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2003, 04:06:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Bill, that's exactly it.  You can hook up two Gamecubes so up to eight people can play on one TV.  There are two people per kart, on who drives and one that uses weapons, and you can switch between driving and weapons if you want.  I imagine there is the option to play with one person per kart, though, or control both people.

Correction, it's eight people on TWO TVs. There are two CHARACTERS per kart. There are EIGHT racers on the track.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2003, 04:14:12 PM »
See, this is the most common misconception about the "two characters to a kart" feature.  YOU control BOTH characters.  It literally plays IDENTICAL to the Mario Kart games you know an love, except that you can switch characters, and there are character specific weapons.

So, if you're saying that you don't like it and it's going in the wrong direction, you're making that judgement based SOLELY on static screenshots and maybe a paragraph or two of text.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2003, 04:53:07 PM »
Yes I don't understand why there is this confusion?  You control both drivers in the cart.  This game plays exactly the same like past Mario Kart games.  The only new addition will be one button that switches the drivers.    
***The Nintendo Difference***

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2003, 04:55:19 PM »

Originally posted by: ZombieX
Yes I don't understand why there is this confusion?

Because people like to make pre-mature assumptions based on screenshots alone. Or they just mis-read something. Basically mouthing off on what they don't really know

I've made mistakes in the past as well, although never really as bad as making quick assumptions like this (although as of late I'm more careful with the information I receive so I don't make mistakes). Plus I am ready to admit my own mistake if I'm wrong.

But nevertheless it still confounds me how people can draw conclusions like this without knowing the whole story.

Anyone remember the early Metroid situation? It looks like an FPS so it'll play like an FPS . Deju vu...

Offline NintendoKiD

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2003, 05:03:50 PM »
Ok then Rick, IMO I don't like the idea. Plain and simple.
Currently Playing

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2003, 06:01:10 PM »
Ugh...I hope a co-op feature is thrown in there...but it is looking more likely to be two characters on a kart.  

About Sonic...Mario Kart has never been a realistic series...Sonic can outrun the karts, but Nintendo would will have him there as an extra.  Also, don't you think rules forbid him to run in the first place if you want to think of it realistically?

I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2003, 06:06:37 PM »
Ah, thanks for the correction.  In a way that's better, since I won't have to put up with Murk throwing bananas at ourselves. . . still would be a cool idea, though.  There are fifteen characters, and is it eight special items per character?  I thought that's what I saw here earlier.  If so, that is cool as all get out.

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2003, 06:28:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Ninja X
Ugh...I hope a co-op feature is thrown in there...

I don't think their will be a co-op feature.  IMO I don't think it would be very fun.  The whole fun of playing MK is driving around AND blasting others.  Why would anyone want to split this up for two people to do?

If there was co-op, that would mean only one person drives (boring) and the other person has to wait around for the driver to pick up an item (boring).  What if the driver only picks up bananas and mushrooms?  Do you really think it would be fun to just sit around and press one button to fire bananas and use mushrooms?  
***The Nintendo Difference***

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2003, 06:56:04 PM »

Originally posted by: NintendoKiD
Ok then Rick, IMO I don't like the idea. Plain and simple.

It would really help if you substantiate this... especially if you want to avoid *ahem* future arguments. If you can't substantiate it then I suggest you give up your dislike until you get to play it

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2003, 07:04:33 PM »

Originally posted by: ZombieX

Originally posted by: Ninja X
Ugh...I hope a co-op feature is thrown in there...

I don't think their will be a co-op feature.  IMO I don't think it would be very fun.  The whole fun of playing MK is driving around AND blasting others.  Why would anyone want to split this up for two people to do?

If there was co-op, that would mean only one person drives (boring) and the other person has to wait around for the driver to pick up an item (boring).  What if the driver only picks up bananas and mushrooms?  Do you really think it would be fun to just sit around and press one button to fire bananas and use mushrooms?

Its one of those "it can work like a charm, and yet fail miserably". Remember they could we and truly add a co-op mode where you can "switch on the fly", as the single player suggests. I cant really pass judgement on this game until I see it in motion. It DOES look very interesting ill give them that.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2003, 09:07:13 AM »
As I and other people have said before, the two-characters-per-kart thing is more of a "logic" addition than anything else, as it just makes more sense to have one drive while the other attacks, instead of the attack magically plopping out of the kart.  It would also make more sense if they let you attack in multiple directions, instead of just "shoot out front, drop behind."  I'd imagine they do things a bit differently, say, using the shoulder buttons for acceleration (or just use one shoulder button for accelerate and the other for hopping, or use Z for braking, or something), and the C-stick controls attack-directions, sort of like vs. mode in SSB:M -- you move the C-stick to the upper-left, and the character attacks to the upper left.  It would also mean you can kick and punch or something even if you don't have an item -- before, you were always limited to having an item or just ramming into them (which nearly always sucked, as you both got slowed down, and a CPU character was always able to get up to speed faster anyway).  If you attack with the C-stick, there's SO many more options available that would be really easy to use.  None of this "line up the shot just perfectly and fire and hope they don't move" crap that dominated the SNES and N64 versions.  More like "fire at an enemy whenever and wherever they are!  Trying to pass you?  Try chucking a turtle shell right at 'em!  Sneaking up behind you in battle mode?  No longer are you defenseless until you haphazardly spin around!"  And if they let you physically attack even when you don't have weapons, then it wouldn't matter about "triggering" the item first -- just hold the c-stick one direction and the character on back could keep attacking to the left or right.

Nintendo seems really keen on using both analog sticks as much as possible in their newer games, so I don't see why they wouldn't incorporate them both in MKDD.  Can you think of any other use for the C-stick besides attacking?

Plus, it'd make the game so much easier from a party-game approach, or a "pick up and play" approach.  Think about it.  "This button makes you go, this stick turns, this stick attacks in the direction you press."

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2003, 09:45:49 AM »
Using the C-stick to aim and shoot would be nice, but the problem is that you cant easily use the c-stick and a,b,x,y at the same time. Also they will likely keep the buttons similar to the N64 version so people can pick up the game and start right in without having to learn more button configurations. Like the did in SSBM. So I figure A for gas, B for break. C-stick will not be used. Probably Right Trigger or Z will shoot, Left Trigger will Jump/Slide. You will aim and stear with the analog stick. That still leaves x/y to swap characters.

There will not be a two player co-op mode since it would be very boring. And it would also be difficult. I always enjoyed shooting a green/red shell at a red shell that was headed straight for me (from in front). Or making a quick turn and shooting a green shett backwards to nail my opponent. You cant get that type of coordination with two players.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

RE: Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2003, 10:59:29 AM »
Um... Mario Kart 64 was a great game -- easier than SMK for the SNES but a great game nonetheless (can you say multiplayer replayability?)

And the pics shown of the latest MK game are beta shots at the least -- what did you expect?  They are early shots and I'm confident that the end result will NOT look like what those pics depict.  If anything, the pics were released to give us a taste of what new, innovative features will be in the next MK lineup.  I look forward to hearing more about the game -- and I especially look forward to E3!

In a nutshell: don't rag on the pics -- the game's not due for many, many months, so the graphics will certainly change over time.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2003, 11:04:28 AM »
But that would be just like Kart 64 (the control scheme), and if anything, Nintendo loves re-doing games' controls for new controllers if they think it would make the game better.

In Timesplitters 2, you barely touch the b/a/x/y buttons while playing.  In Pikmin, you use A and that's about it.  I don't think Nintendo's above relegating the b/a/x/y buttons to a non-vital role in Kart.  Perhaps "A" is to switch characters.

My approach to it is this: If I were making a game that was easy to play right out of the box yet still had a lot of depth, I would put the important controls in the easiest to reach places but make sure that you need as few controls as possible to play.  The buttons aren't analog -- how do you control the rate of acceleration without that?  So if you want to control acceleration, you map that to R.  Click is "Top speed," pressing it down just a little moves you the appropriate speed forward.  Z is brake, since no one brakes (and therefore no one uses Z).  L is to hop, as hopping over things might be a bit more useful in DD than in past kart games, but you still want it easy to access for courses that incorporate small jumps (and of course the power slide).  Control Stick steers, and C stick shoots/attacks in all directions.  b/a/x/y are used for extra stuff, like character switching (as you can't attack and switch at the same time, hence C-stick for attacking and buttons for switching).  x/y probably won't even be used.

We already know you can attack in more than just 1 or 2 directions -- you can see Daisy attacking off to the side in one of the screenshots.  I'm not saying the control scheme I outlined above is "right" or that yours is "wrong;" just that mine makes more sense to me, given the screenshots and "new additions."

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 05, 2003, 01:55:29 PM »
I can see what people mean by the R button as the accelerator, but for me, it would be annoying. I would personally prefer A button as gas. Having R trigger to control the rate of acceleration would be kinda annoying. I mean it is more awkard to press than A button, and you would have to coninuely hold the button at the EXACT speed you want it [I know you have to do the same with A button but it is a lot easier to reach, and it isnt uncomfortable as continuely holding R.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 05, 2003, 03:49:59 PM »
I think the graphics look smooth and fine, but maybe I'm just not critical and argumentative enough. . .

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2003, 07:29:38 PM »
Yes, because if you don't like something, you're obviously an unfair nitpicker. :P