Author Topic: Silicon Knights... Next big thing?  (Read 3746 times)

Offline bcballa04

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights... Next big thing?
« on: May 06, 2003, 09:45:55 AM »
Who here thinks that Silicon Knights is nintendo's next rare! maybe even better... I have high hopes for them...
laughing for the rest of the movie.. man.. what a spoiler..

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 10:08:43 AM »
you know in retro and sk i think Nintendo will have the equivelent to 2 Rares. Actually, better because their way more original and less derivative.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 10:34:15 AM »
yeah, and Retro and SK combined bring out 1.5 games per year, much better qoute than Rare had although they had a couple hundred workers
LZ 2005

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights... Next big thing?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 12:38:21 PM »
I would trade Rare for SK any day of the week.  But that's just me, and it's important to remember that they make completely different types of games.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 01:26:59 PM »
rare has made a lot of great games but silicon knights games are just really high quality
rare's titles too are high quality but silicon knights makes lots of good strides with their titles
i would rather have silicon knights anyway- even the director of the place is a great guy and loves nintendo (denis dyack...as if you didnt know)
i just hope silicon knights makes even more high quality titles- i just want to see too human finally make an appearence
i call the big one bitey.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 02:19:28 PM »
I think it's too early to call for  them being better than Rare.

Silicon Knights has only released one game under Nintendo thus far (previous games include Blood Omen, Steel Empires, and some other games... although I have only played Blood Omen, which was a great game although had horrendous load times), and although IMO is was great, I wouldn't call is a masterpiece (although I would call the storyline such).

Rare over the years has delivered the amazing classics that are Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye, as well as other great games such as Conker's Bad Fur Day (although I didn't like the change in direction), Blast Corps, and Jet Force Gemini (hated the last part with the Tribals though... that just killed the game for me but at least the rest was great). Banjo-Kazooie was good too but the controls just didn't feel solid enough for me and the collecting still urks me. Star Fox Adventures was a mediocre game, but everyone makes a flaw in their track record (although they sure took a long time to pop out a mediocre game) and at times multiple. We'll see how things are down the line when Rare releases their X-Box line-up. I'm personally looking forward to Kameo and Conker, Banjo is good but nothing special to me while Perfect Dark Zero doesn't really raise an eyebrow from me, especially compared to many other quality FPS games that have been released and will be release... is those games in my mind live up to the hype of course).

However, I honestly do look forward to Too Human and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes than Rare's offerings, but that doesn't mean I'm going to downplay Rare just because they happened to have start out rough this generation. For all we know they may actually release a new masterpiece in the future. Not say their going to but you never know.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 06:11:31 PM »
I think it is too early to cally SK and Retro as Nintendo's Rare-replacements as well.

They've only released one game each, and even though these games are toted as the best games ever, it still ain't enough to be called Rare.

But hopefully, this trend of excellent games continues (even Rare had their bad games - look at Mickey's Speedway), THEN we can call them Rare. But why should we call them Rare when we can call them Silicon Knights and Retro Studios?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 06:38:34 PM »
I get this feeling whenever I hear the company name "Rare"... they haven't made any games for the XBox yet, yes?  You all know how punctual Microsoft is when it comes to release dates and that when Rare worked for Nintendo they practically had all the time in the world to make their top-selling games.  I sense a drop in quality from Rare if Microsoft forces them to release games on time...
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 08:30:41 PM »
Realize that the Rare of today isn't the Rare of 1997.

Think about the overall design, length, replayability, and memorability of StarFox Adventures, then wonder what happened to the design talent Rare was supposed to have.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 09:04:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
I think it is too early to cally SK and Retro as Nintendo's Rare-replacements as well.

They've only released one game each, and even though these games are toted as the best games ever, it still ain't enough to be called Rare.

But hopefully, this trend of excellent games continues (even Rare had their bad games - look at Mickey's Speedway), THEN we can call them Rare. But why should we call them Rare when we can call them Silicon Knights and Retro Studios?

Yeah I have to agree with Termin9Anakin. Retro and SK are showing great promise but we have to see more from them before we can say they are the next Rare. I don't want them to be the next Rare to be honest. I would want them to be better. Rare's most recent work was on the same level as their previous titles. Some of their games were stellar but then you get the Donkey Kong 64's and Banjo-Tooie collectathons that droves most of us insane. SFA wasn't a bad game but its hardly a game with the replayability that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had. I serious hope that the artwork for PD0 by Rare was some sort of sick joke...if they really do that to Joanna....then I'm glad MS got Rare.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 04:27:36 AM »
Call it a hunch, but I DO think the Silicon Knights will become one of the best developers ever.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 06:33:22 AM »
I would have traded Rare for SK also, if Star Fox Adventures didn't suck.  God the only thing that game was good for was rasing you blood pressure and wasting your time.  As in to much frustration and to much of those "transport rooms."  
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 08:27:07 AM »
No reason to compare companies. I think they all have their respective strenghts. Silicon Knight has quickly become MY favorite Nintendo developer thanks to Eternal Darkness. But, I still remain a loyal fan of Rare's work and I am awaiting the next Killer Instinct and Conker more than any other game.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 09:31:57 AM »
Theres no need to compare, but let us say so far Retro and SK have better catered our desires than Rare did with SFA, and I can say as a non plattform biased gamer, Im far more excited about Too Human, MGS Remake and Metroid Prime 2 than Kameo, Joanime Dark and some Mariokart spinoff.
LZ 2005

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 10:09:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
I serious hope that the artwork for PD0 by Rare was some sort of sick joke...if they really do that to Joanna....then I'm glad MS got Rare.

Darc Requiem

um.. i tried to find this artwork.. but all i found was what apeared to be the same old joanna dark.. could someone send a link my way please?

edit: never mind actually, i found them :\ geez.. is that joanna's cousin that er.. gets around? i thought she was a spy not a cheer leader

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 02:36:59 PM »
For me I think Silicon Knights and Retro are better than Rare.  The only games that Rare developed that i like were on the N64 which was Goldeneye (which i think is the best game they have made) and Perfect Dark; Conker and Donkey i think had something missing in them because it did not catch my interest like these two, then Starfox came out on GameCube and this too i felt was missing something so i was kind of glad when the trade was done because Nintendo got more money from it, and Rare i think has lost there magic.  I mean so what if Joanna Dark will never debut in another Nintendo console it probably wont be as good as the original anyway since most of that team left, and instead went to develop Timesplitters and other games.  

Silicon Knights and Retro on the other hand has captured me again of why i have stuck with Nintendo, games like Metroid with awsome graphics and gameplay; all it needed i think is a co-op mode or some kind of multiplayer mode to be a masterpiece, and  Eternal Darkness with probably the best storyline i have ever played in a game and its unique gameplay instead of rehashing from games like RE or Silent Hill.  And now Retro is making a Metroid sequel, Silicon Knights making a remake of Metal Gear with better graphics and more detailed/realistic moves, and also the game which i have been waiting for since the early years of the GameCubes life Too Human!!  Just thinking about this makes me drool with excitement.

So what I'm trying to say is...yes i do think Silicon Knights is the next big thing and also Retro.
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 03:21:14 PM »
I still want Rare back, even if only for Perfect Dark 0.  I really don't care about Kameo or SFA or whatever, I just want PD.  The original is still one of my favorite games (and yes, it's still better than TimeSplitters 2)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 03:25:03 PM »
Maybe Retro and Silicon Knights are better for sales, but I still get all misty when I think of Banjo Kazooie.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill