Author Topic: The game's roster  (Read 18374 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The game's roster
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »
The roster itself doesn't bother me, but what does bother me a bit is that heavies SEEM to have once again been placed low on the priority list.

I was fighting with an excellent Mario player the other day. I was Bowser and I kept noticing that I'd go to do the whirling fortress (up B) into him but he would do a tilt A into it which would cancel both moves. Huh? Mario's kick stops Bowser's entire mass in the middle of what should be a devastating attack?

I think what has always killed heavies in the past is their lack of move priority. I've always said that heavies don't have speed so they NEED something else to make up for their lack of agility and simply making them take longer to kill isn't the answer to this. It doesn't matter if Bowser takes twice as long to kill as Fox if Bowser can never hit Fox or if every time he goes to hit Fox, Fox hits him first and stops his offense completely.

Super armor sounded like it was a step in the right direction, but it feels to me like Bowser doesn't have much super armor, nor does Dedede. Rather, if they have it, it's in places where it makes little difference for their overall offensive capabilities. It seems like it's primarily in their recovery moves (which is good, but still a bandaid on a bullet wound).

Frankly, I see Brawl winding up pretty much the same as Melee in regards to characters: fast characters will be on top while everyone else is on the bottom. That was the case in Melee and given how powerful the space furries still seem to be, I don't see it as being rectified (with possibly Metaknight and other quick characters being in there as well).

I've been able to out-skill people with Bowser, but I can't shake the feeling that, had we been evenly skilled, neither of us would have a prayer in hell playing as Bowser against any faster characters.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
I agree 100% with you S_B. I was having the same conversation with one of my friends earlier. Heavy, power players continuously get the shaft in this series. At the peak of my Melee skills with Ganondorf, I could never beat an evenly skilled Sheik player no matter how hard I tried, for the exact reasons you mention. This time around I got smart and just chose a space animal (Wolf).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:49:26 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »
I'm really liking Wario and Sonic... both unique and interesting, so most likely, one of those is going to be my main.

Samus is kinda weird this time around, ZSS is awesome though... will master her just because I did so in both previous games...

also, Ike feels a lot like Roy, except without the combo (and thus without the incredibly useful f+B u+B), and his forward smash is slower (seemed a bit weaker to me as well)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »
It was kind of funny I played a level 9 CPU for the fun of it and mutilated it (The computer was Ganondorf), so I know what you mean.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
From what I've seen the slower characters have a much better chance in brawl than melee, they just require an incredible amount of patience and timing. My friend is an Ike player, I use either Diddy or Lucas most the time and he always puts up a good fight. Heavy characters are about capitalizing on the mistakes of your opponent in a big big way. Bowser, Ike and Dedede all have a smashes which can ko a regular weight opponent under 100%, the problem is that people have no patience and try to spam huge attacks with long lag times and get dominated because of it.

Also Ike plays much differently than roy, and falco is much more varied from fox than most people are complaining about. I used to play fox in melee and I find him unusable in brawl. Most of his moves have been changed in strength and knockback so his moves don't combo like they should. The spacies don't slide like they used to, it makes there movements jerky and predictable. I just don't think that the spacies are going to be as dominant as they were in melee.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline mastro

• I less than three U
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 01:54:37 AM »
Sonic all the way.

The Blue Hedgehog is just so smooth going from one move to another. He will definitely be my character because of his unequaled smoothness and speed. Still on occassion have trouble adjusting to his seed when previously playing a slower character.
If you add any of my WiiC or any FC please PM me.

Wii #                   
4871 4170 1627 4831

Endless Ocean #       
7415 7735 7984

Smash Bros Brawl #   
1032 0904 4453

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 08:30:40 PM »
I've recently started using Wario fairly often.  He's so entertaining!  I'm not terribly good with him, though.  His side smash seems like his only move with enough knockback to KO someone, but I have a hard time hitting anyone with it.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
The roster is horrible!

with that out now, I guess the way it was revealed was its flaw, because characters like Pit or R.O.B are awesome (original!) additions, have their long history with Nintendo and mean something for Nintendo fans. All the "secret" characters were just returning from melee, so it lessened the impact, a different order in the reveal and a smaller initial roster would have been better.

Wolf was the worst, specially because he's the last one you unlock, and for that is terribly dissapointing. I don't mind clones, but not only is he the third in a series of clones, he's from the same series of games. Something like Ganondorf/Captain Falcon doesn't bother me so much because at least is a different franchise, and the final smash is different. You really expect something much better from the last unlocked character.

And samus is the new nintendo whore, my brother couldn't help but noticing her ridiculous proportions worth of something like Lara Croft, it was just sad.

My favorites are the very first newcomers revealed, Metaknight and Pit, but honestly I just like things that fly. I play with Olimar a lot too but is more from principle since pikmin is awesome, and not because he's an awesome fighter or anything. I had the best results with Lucas actually, but he's just boring to play with, so I don't care if I'm better with him I rather play with others.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »
I've recently started using Wario fairly often.  He's so entertaining!  I'm not terribly good with him, though.  His side smash seems like his only move with enough knockback to KO someone, but I have a hard time hitting anyone with it.
his Up+A has a decent knockback... his Up Smash does as well (if you connect all the hits)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
I'm terrible at tilts. :/  Up smash doesn't seem like it's as good his side smash.  I forgot his up aerial.  That one's pretty good when I manage to land it.
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2008, 12:42:17 AM »
The roster is horrible!

with that out now, I guess the way it was revealed was its flaw, because characters like Pit or R.O.B are awesome (original!) additions, have their long history with Nintendo and mean something for Nintendo fans. All the "secret" characters were just returning from melee, so it lessened the impact, a different order in the reveal and a smaller initial roster would have been better.

Wolf was the worst, specially because he's the last one you unlock, and for that is terribly dissapointing. I don't mind clones, but not only is he the third in a series of clones, he's from the same series of games. Something like Ganondorf/Captain Falcon doesn't bother me so much because at least is a different franchise, and the final smash is different. You really expect something much better from the last unlocked character.

And samus is the new nintendo whore, my brother couldn't help but noticing her ridiculous proportions worth of something like Lara Croft, it was just sad.

My favorites are the very first newcomers revealed, Metaknight and Pit, but honestly I just like things that fly. I play with Olimar a lot too but is more from principle since pikmin is awesome, and not because he's an awesome fighter or anything. I had the best results with Lucas actually, but he's just boring to play with, so I don't care if I'm better with him I rather play with others.

I wouldn't say its horrible.

Could they have done better? Yes, especially since they had a massive list of characters people wanted to see and could've been turned into cool character. But its FAR from horrible, IMO.

Melee's roster was definitely the worst. The clone characters were pathetic.

From everything I read the clones in Brawl are quite unique. They B moves might be the same but they control differently. The only exception from what I heard is Toon Link which plays EXACTLY like Link. And of course, Wolf has the landmaster, which doesn't make sense at all since in the Starfox games it was Slippy the one that created the tank for the STARFOX team.

But other than that, at the very least the clones got updated.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
A few of toon Link's moves are a bit different from Link's.  His back aerial is an upward slash rather than a kick, and his up smash is only a single slash instead of three.  Maybe a few others.  I don't use him much 'cause he's lame. D:
GOREGASM!

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:14 AM »
Toon Link's awesome, and he's different because he's much faster than Standard Link; he feels like a sprite, rather than an adult, which changes everything. It's Standard Link that's lame, because they made him weaker without compensating for how slow he is.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2008, 02:15:40 AM »
toon link taunts by waving the baton, thats a win for me.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »
Link feels more agile to me now, which I like.  I haven't really noticed him to be weaker.  And his bow is actually usable now! :D

Ganon, on the other hand, is too damn slow now.  I use Ike when I'm in the mood for a heavy hitter now.

Also, Snake is awesome.  Just because I haven't mentioned so yet.  His up smash is so much fun. X3
GOREGASM!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2008, 03:32:18 AM »
I love the new Bowser. I've finally figured out some solid strategies with him (mainly from facing some excellent online foes) and I think I can safely say I want to main Bowser).

One downside, though, is that lag can REALLY mess up his game. He seems to be the heavy who suffers from lag the most of any heavy.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2008, 03:37:29 AM »
I love the new Bowser. I've finally figured out some solid strategies with him (mainly from facing some excellent online foes) and I think I can safely say I want to main Bowser).

One downside, though, is that lag can REALLY mess up his game. He seems to be the heavy who suffers from lag the most of any heavy.

Did you beat me with those new skills?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2008, 05:02:43 AM »
Am I the only one who is really into Mr. Game and Watch this time around? I can't say I'm incredible with him (I haven't quite mastered his down special:"Oil Spill" for one thing) but I seem to play best as him. I also find myself cycling between Peach, Diddy, Wolf, Kirby and Pokemon Trainer.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »
Did you beat me with those new skills?

Hard to say. Our matches were pretty laggy and we seemed to play only on weirder levels where I haven't gotten the strategies to work yet.

A lot of it hinges on trapping an opponent between you and the ledge while you burninate them.

Offline FoxxMcCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:49 AM »
Well.

Wolf is actually slower than Fox AND Falco,

Toon Link is stronger than regular Link but at the expense of
combos.(Although using bomb+arrow+side smash seems to work fairly well.)

Sonic and Ike can take time to get used to,

as for the characters i fell right in with go from best to average are

[1]Toon Link
[2]Marth
[3]Wolf
[4]Sonic
[5]Ike
[6]Pit

I plan on getting better with these guys( i always sucked at SSB)
and actually training on a daily basis. : /