Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 680326 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: The Happiest Postseason Bubble On Earth
« Reply #2350 on: August 19, 2020, 06:34:33 PM »
The Jazz are killing me. I missed the first three minutes, but since then, they have passed up three layups for kick out three pointers. Where’s broodwars when you need him?

Decided to take a break from the site a month or 2 ago. I found that I was getting way too invested in the fate of my posts & occasionally taking it out on people, when my posts were even noticed.

Besides, I'm pretty much ignoring the NBA at this point. Between the grandstanding with the political messages on the jerseys, the Jazz intentionally tanking to get the 6th Seed to avoid the Lakers & Rockets, Bogdanovich being out for the playoffs, & lack of a real crowd at these games...I just don't care anymore. They might as well just simulate the rest of the playoffs in NBA 2K for as much legitimacy as they currently have using fake crowds in an empty stadium.

I do see that the Jazz annihilated the Nuggets in Game 2 today.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:37:12 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 20, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »
Decided to take a break from the site a month or 2 ago. I found that I was getting way too invested in the fate of my posts & occasionally taking it out on people, when my posts were even noticed.
Good on you for taking a mental health break. As for unnoticed posts (or no responses), that's just what happens. People get busy, miss posts, forget to respond, have nothing to add etc. It’s best not to take that personally. I was having a whole conversation with myself on the previous page. 🤷‍♀️
Between the grandstanding with the political messages on the jerseys...
From the league or players? I don't think it's grandstanding.
the Jazz intentionally tanking to get the 6th Seed to avoid the Lakers
Ehh, really? Davis is a bad matchup for the Gobert, but overall, the Clippers are deeper. Avoid the Lakers to play the Clippers is a weird game plan. Chances are a team will have to run through both Los Angeles teams.

Anyway...

The Nets took it to the Raptors. They're just outmatched. The Raptors came out and pretended they weren't playing a professional basketball game then got serious and got back into the game. The Nets will be good next year as long as they don't trade everyone like Kyrie Irving wants.

The Nuggets got worked. I didn't watch the whole game so I don't know what happened. I suspect Nuggets players were secretly swapped out for holograms.

The Sixers also got worked. Without Simmons, this series is over. They're my second favorite. This is not their year.

Me, after the Mavericks beat the Clippers:

Paul George had an off night. Can't count on that happening, but take it when you get it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:28:01 AM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 20, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »
Ha, get fucked, Warriors. LEL. I doubt they’ll keep the pick. It was trade bait whether they got the first or second pick.

I think the Timberwolves will draft Anthony Edwards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:33 PM »
wait, what happened?

they decided who gets first pick?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 20, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
wait, what happened?

they decided who gets first pick?
Yeah, Draft Lottery was tonight.
  • Timberwolves
  • Warriors
  • Hornets
  • Bulls
  • Cavaliers
  • Hawks
  • Pistons
  • Knicks
  • Wizards
  • Suns
  • Spurs
  • Kings
  • Pelicans
  • Celtics (via Grizzlies)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: August 20, 2020, 10:04:59 PM »
You know the T-Wolves on that LaMelo Ball HYPE. ;)

But Damn, from 5 Finals in a row to 2nd pick in the draft. That's quite the feat. LOL
When's the last time that's happened?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:06:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2356 on: August 20, 2020, 10:44:09 PM »
Cavs had a top 5 pick last year, having made the finals in the 4 seasons prior.

That's the first thing that comes to mind.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 21, 2020, 12:27:06 AM »
For Game 2 (not that I'm an expert):
  • Limit shooting three pointers if not at least 30% by halftime.
    • Danny Green gets five chances to hit at least two three pointers. Failing that, pump fake then drive. It's there all game.
    • Alex Caruso isn't allowed to waste possessions shooting three pointers.
  • Run the pick and roll.
  • Attack the basket and get Nurkic and Whiteside in foul trouble.
  • If Nurkic and Whiteside are off the floor, attack the basket even more.
  • Lillard and McCollum will get theirs, make it hard for them and force anyone else to beat you.
  • Play Dion Waiters for the love of......... otherwise, why did you sign him?
The Lakers did most of these. They didn't get Nurkic and Whiteside in foul trouble, but they did attack the basket. The Blazers didn't have an answer for that. Dion Waiters played mostly garbage time. I feel like Vogel is afraid Waiters is going to get torched on defense against Lillard.

I wanted a blowout, and I got one. I'm mostly tired of analysts (mostly on ESPN) saying the Lakers are in trouble. Charles Barkley predicted the Lakers would get swept. Get the **** out of here, man. They almost won Game 1 despite forgetting how to play offense. This time, they came out and played with urgency, respected their opponent, and didn't settle for threes. Still, the Lakers shot significantly better from the arc. ~37% for the game; ~35% before Lillard was pulled. They'll be fine most games shooting that percentage from deep. James whiffed a few layups, but for the most part, the team was very good in the paint.

The Lakers played a normal game by their season standards. They haven't done so in the bubble until this game while the Blazers played especially poorly. It probably won't be this easy again. If the Lakers play like they did during the season (like tonight), they should win this series even if Lillard goes off. This is the playoffs; every team should always play with urgency. The Lakers will flat-out lose if they don't. It's encouraging that they have continued playing really good defense. The Lakers held the Blazers to 100 points in Game 1 when they were averaging 127 in the bubble.

Anyway...

Nothing to add regarding Heat vs. Pacers. I had my dietician appointment so I didn't get to watch the game.

The Rockets are playing far better than expected. I'll live with my cold take. I'm still rooting for the Thunder.

The Bucks blowing out the Magic was as expected. They'll be in trouble in later series (particularly against the Raptors) if Middleton doesn't remember how to play basketball.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:57:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 21, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »
*sees notification on his phone*

Jazz-Nuggets Game 3:

Nuggets - 87
Jazz - 124

Well, the Jazz's tanking strategy during the bubble games seems to be paying off. We're not getting bounced out of the 1st round by the Rockets...again. They certainly seem to have the Nuggets' number. Looks like Mike Conley coming back after the birth of his kid didn't throw the team off any. It's been questionable this year whether the team is better or worse with him on it. I do see, as we've seen the entire season, Joe Ingles completely falls apart the moment Conley's on the floor.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:08 AM »
Nick Nurse got Coach of the Year. I would have given it to Billy Donovan because everyone expected the Thunder to be gar-baj this year. Still, can’t really argue with Nurse getting the nod especially if voters didn’t also want to give it to Mike Budenholzer again. The Raptors lost Kawhi Leonard and were perfectly fine.

Anyway...

The Pacers are on the verge of getting swept. The game shouldn’t have been this close as the Heat were up by 16 at halftime. The Pacers may be able to squeeze out a win on Monday, but this series is basically over.

Bucks vs. Magic is a waste of everyone’s time. The Magic are playing hard but simply can’t match the Bucks’ talent. Khris Middleton finally showed up.

Rockets vs. Thunder was the best game today so I’m disappointed I had to miss most of it. The end of regulation had me on the edge of my seat. Chris Paul almost had that ridiculous game winner. The Thunder’s game plan moving forward should be: get James Harden in foul trouble. The Rockets were flat out lose with him eliminated from the game.

The Blazers looked gassed. They played nine playoff level games before the actual playoffs. You can tell Lillard, McCollum, and Nukic lacked energy in the second half. There was a stretch in the fourth where neither team ran to the other side. The Lakers shot 33.3% from the arc which is where they need to be. Free throws were ass though.

The Sixers and Nets are about to get swept today. If the Sixers don’t just throw in the towel, they might be able to scrounge up a win. Even then, the series is as good as over. The Celtics just have to weather the storm. Without Simmons, the Sixers are playing like they can’t win.

If Luka Dončić doesn’t play, shut it down. The Mavericks can play well with him on the bench. Being out for the game/series will affect their mentality as a young team. I hope Paul George keeps shooting like poo poo.

I’m hoping the Jazz win. I’ll gladly eat crow for picking the Nuggets to win the series even if I was rooting for the Jazz.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 23, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
LUKA!!!!!

The Mavericks after beating the Clippers without Kristaps Porziņģis:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:01:24 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 24, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »
Inside The NBA’s Ernie Johnson quoted Montrezl Harrell, and the internet knew exactly what to do.

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1297753078532378624?s=20

Also, if you’re in the mood for more lulz, check a look at the Paul George slander all over Reddit. Some of my favorites include:
  • Pandemic P
  • Playoff Pee
  • Playoff Pi (3-14 from the field)
  • PG13%

I expect the Clippers to bounce back. Just let me have this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 26, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
I can't talk about it, but I really.... REALLY want to.

So we do this instead.
Bucks are first to respond. I hope all the rest follow suit.

ALL the other teams need to join and push an extra game.
The losing teams better not show up and take the W. That would be some bullshit, and they would never live it down. If your opponent is boycotting, you better join them. You can't protest on just the back of your jerseys. Take an actual stance by joining your fellow players boycott.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 26, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
Apparently the Lakers, Blazers, Thunder, Rockets and Magic have all joined the protest.

There will be NO NBA GAMES TODAY.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:31:32 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 26, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
Apparently the Lakers, Blazers, Thunder, Rockets and Magic have all joined the protest.

There will be NO NBA GAMES TODAY.

The League has bent over backwards to appease the players in these bubble games. Fans are banned from the generic stadium, players are free to have whatever China-sanctioned Social Justice Message they want on their jersey, and the players are free to disrespect the US National Anthem any time they want. The League should just cancel the playoffs at this point and send all the teams home if the Players are still going to pull this grandstanding B.S.

Hell, award this year's championship to the lottery team with the best record while they're at it.

They won't, of course. If I don't show up to work because I'm mad about an unrelated matter, I would be fired. NBA players, though, get a paycheck and a night at a 5 star resort while their employers look for a day that works better for them as they appease their poor, hurt, woefully-ignorant, mult-million dollar feelings.

Things like this are why relatively no one is watching the NBA's games right now.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:36:10 PM by broodwars »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2365 on: August 26, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
Well, no one is watching an NBA game right now because there isn't one.

Technically speaking.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 26, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »
I guess we can totally ignore the reason why a bunch of first generation millionaire in an 80% minority sport, most coming from low to middle class families, have finally had enough support and momentum to use the leverage of the position and national platform to actually demand action be taken in a cause we shouldn't have to still be fighting for, and shouldn't have to fight this hard for, by refusing to play a game for YOUR entertainment, because you'd rather they "shut up and dribble".

This is a videogame forum, so too keep this in topic, I'm gonna suggest you close the browser and go fire up your console of choice and play some NBA 2K20 to get your sport fix for the night.

What's happening right now is SOOOOO much bigger than the game being played. The Billionaire owners will be fine. The TV networks will be fine. Let's stop putting economic values over actual value of human life issues.

P.s. Milwaukee Brewer's (and the rest of the MLB?) and the WNBA Teams have all decided to boycott playing today.
So it sounds like there are no sports for anyone for to not just what happened in Milwaukee several days ago, but the bullshit that conspired there during the protest last night.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:40:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 26, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »
It's not all of MLB, some games are still going on. MLS also canceled all but one of the games that were scheduled for tonight, with the one that is happening having started before the players union finalized their decision.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 26, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
The League should just cancel the playoffs at this point and send all the teams home if the Players are still going to pull this grandstanding B.S.
Ew. I can't grasp how anyone can even have this opinion. The NBPA is primarily made up of people of color, and you're accusing them of grandstanding, a word I'm not sure you actually know the definition of. People are dying. What is wrong with you?
If I don't show up to work because I'm mad about an unrelated matter, I would be fired. NBA players, though, get a paycheck and a night at a 5 star resort while their employers look for a day that works better for them as they appease their poor, hurt, woefully-ignorant, mult-million dollar feelings.
Maybe you should look for a better job if you're so fucking appalled by other people's (clearly better) work environment and culture. The league and each organization can fine every single player who didn't show up to work today. They won't. I can take a PTO day tomorrow if I want. If you can't, maybe that's kind of your fault for staying at a job that doesn't allow you to, and you should stop taking that out on other people.

I'm not especially surprised you went full-broodwars® by calling other people ignorant while spreading ignorance. Many (especially younger) players don't actually make that much money after taxes, agent fees, union fees etc. Not everyone is Damian Lillard on a supermax contract.
Things like this are why relatively no one is watching the NBA's games right now.
It's funny that you think everyone thinks like you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:45:07 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2370 on: August 27, 2020, 02:28:11 AM »
Let's be honest here: The players are in a position of privilege to be able to walk away from their jobs over an issue they care about and have people listen.  Many people who also care about these issues can't always just walk out and are seldom heard when they speak.  The players, whose hard work put them in this position, can be the voice for so many and keep these issues at the forefront.  They know this; they're just as impacted by these issues as people protesting; and they're doing something.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 27, 2020, 03:21:50 AM »
Let's be honest here: The players are in a position of privilege to be able to walk away from their jobs over an issue they care about and have people listen.  Many people who also care about these issues can't always just walk out and are seldom heard when they speak.  The players, whose hard work put them in this position, can be the voice for so many and keep these issues at the forefront.  They know this; they're just as impacted by these issues as people protesting; and they're doing something.
Well said.

I’m conflicted over whether boycotting or continuing the playoffs is a better move going forward. Boycotting an entire day of games is a powerful statement. It remained on news cycles all day and will probably continue for the next few. Canceling the season however means losing the national platform the NBA provides the players on three major networks (ABC, ESPN, and TNT). After every game, LeBron James spoke about social injustice. This is bigger than basketball, but basketball offers a bigger platform for these players to speak out. I think the players are trying to get team owners to do more. Considering how much impact (especially large market) teams have on the local economy, there’s a lot they can do (admittedly less so right now due to COVID-19). Since players are the product in sports, they hold a lot of influence.

Basketball isn’t that important to me. I watch it, but people are dying and that’s clearly a more important matter. Most players in this league are black. Their experience is far more relevant than mine. While I’ve encountered racism firsthand, I’ll never truly understand the experience of black lives. To me, that’s an important thing to keep in mind. I don’t especially care if the season continues or not. I’ll support whatever the players decide to do.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 27, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
While I was originally in favor of them just sitting out the remainder of the season so that people don't lose focus, I see that that nothing will stop these injustices from happening until there is true reform. It's so amazing to see that a large portion and nice mix of the population has decided enough is enough. They've shown that Basketball (and other sports) on TV is not gonna be enough of a distraction to stop people from being upset, especially when we keep getting weekly reminders of why we need this change, because these bastards just can't help themselves.

So while I was originally in favor of them sitting this out, I think it's very important for them to continue using this platform, as we've just witnessed today the influence they have, by getting the WNBA, part of MLS and even a portion of the MLB to all STRIKE in protest to the not just the events in question, but in solidarity of the players on their teams that they consider friends and family, and their friends and family, that may all be affected by these events on a personal and lifelong level.

Also the CBA in the NBA would be breached if they didn't continue playing, and that could have a major financial impact on a very very large portion of the league if they have to renegotiate that in the COVID Economy down times. So I support which ever decision the players make, but I think the smarter choice for Social Awareness, Public Exposure, Leveraged influence, is to continually strike and further delay the displays of Nationwide Entertainment to bring light to matters of much greater importance, to not just the majority of players in the league, but the nation as a whole.

More relevant content.
Milwaukee Bucks putting it on the line:
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1298763148091166720?s=20

Demanding some action from their local representation. 👏🏾👏🏾

Doc Rivers statement from the day before 🙌🏾
https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1298786988833857537?s=20

Tennis joining the Strike (proof of the strength of the NBA platform)

The bottom line.....

đź’Ż America gotta do and be better.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:01:41 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 27, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
NBA is set to have a Governor's meeting (I assume that's a meeting of the team "owners" and league managing directors) in about 20 minutes - 11am EST.

Here's some highlights from the players meeting yesterday:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:36:58 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
The bottom line.....

đź’Ż America gotta do and be better.
I agree though I also acknowledge this is the same country in which a frighteningly large portion of the population can't be bothered to wear a face covering to protect others and especially themselves so we have our work cut out for us.
NBA is set to have a Governor's meeting (I assume that's a meeting of the team "owners" and league managing directors) in about 20 minutes - 11am EST
I believe the term "owner" was officially changed last year despite, for example, pushback from Mark Cuban's white fragility. "Owner" as shorthand for "team owner" was innocuous though the change was for the best. I always found it awkward when black players referred to their "owners" even if I understood the context. Besides Dan Gibert's infamous Open Letter Comic Sans Tantrum®, no one equated team governors to slave owners (as far as we know; I wouldn't be surprised if one or more knew Jeffrey Epstein, but that's a topic for another day). Changing that terminology goes a long way toward normalizing respect toward minority communities.