Author Topic: Nintendo Stock Drops After E3 Presentations  (Read 14499 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Nintendo Stock Drops After E3 Presentations
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

Nintendo stock has dropped in Japan due to bad reactions from E3.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30645

Nintendo's stock has fallen by 2.68 percent on the Japanese stock exchange, seemingly because of the bad reaction to Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Nintendo has been criticised over the past couple of days by various press outlets, due to the fact that many felt they did not reveal many new titles and headline-worthy game announcements. The bad press has apparently affected stock holder faith in the company's upcoming products.

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Stock Drops After E3 Presentations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »
Its almost as if people buy consoles for these things called "games."

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Seriously. Nintendo has got to get out of this rut of only announcing games that are 6 to 8 months from release. What happened to the old days of getting your fans hyped by announcing a new game that was a year to two years away? What happened to showing footage of a game like Ocarina of Time three years before it's eventual release?! I miss those days of Nintendo. Truly was an exciting time to be a fan of this company.

Nowadays? Not so much.

If Nintendo really wanted to knock our socks off at E3, they would have announced and shown a snippet of what Retro was working on, a glimpse of the amazing graphics Monolith Soft is creating with their next IP, and any new game featuring Ninty's established franchises.. be it Star Fox, F-Zero, etc.

But instead of that, Ubisoft walks away the winner of E3. And that's a crying shame.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »
Sony's went up after press conference but now is down again, same with microsoft. These reports are really not helpful .

Offline 0-Watt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Third Rate Minion
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to track stocks too much in this way.  Yes, it went down when Nintendo announced stuff from E3, but there are many more factors involved, and stockholders are usually informed of announcements before they occur.
The Co-Founder and MinionZero from Third Rate Minion! >=3

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Seriously. Nintendo has got to get out of this rut of only announcing games that are 6 to 8 months from release. What happened to the old days of getting your fans hyped by announcing a new game that was a year to two years away? What happened to showing footage of a game like Ocarina of Time three years before it's eventual release?! I miss those days of Nintendo. Truly was an exciting time to be a fan of this company.
I don't really like that at all. Unless they're ready to release something within at most a year (even that might be too long since **** could hit the fan with that much development time left), I'd rather they just keep working on it and delay in secret if they have to. I don't want to know they they planned poorly or that they decided what they spent months working on had to be thrown out. I don't want to wait 3 years after being told I only had to wait 1. What you show me 3 years ago could be a completely different game come launch. Show me the game I'm going to get and get soon.

Offline lifetimeofnot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
does this really surprise anyone?

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

This may just be the slap in the face that Nintendo really needs right about now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Stocks rise and fall all the time. If someone starts just a rumor that Nintendo is buying, say, Capcom, stocks of both companies would rise dramatically. Just on a rumor, not a real announcement.

Offline GIkari

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
I think the franchises are a given at this point, everyone knows they're coming for every system each time. I think Nintendo tried to show what they have other than the franchises, plus the hardware, as opposed to "your favorite franchises... again!" It backfired a little.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
Honestly, I'd rather just start seeing tons of new IPs from Nintendo. I'm hearing Blizzard's up for sale possibly...
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lifetimeofnot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
The only good thing that can come out of this is a low launch price. Nobody seems interested in the wiiU right now. so hopefully we wont have another 3ds price situation.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
Buy on the rumour, sell on the reveal, right?

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

THIS.

This is the kind of talk Nintendo gets from outside the world of Nintendo. These are two friends of mine, and it's funny how "Zo" mentions it's bad being first out of the gate, when he's such a diehard Xbox fan.  :rolleyes:

If Nintendo wants stocks to rise, if Nintendo wants positive press and word-of-mouth from consumers/gamers all of the world... then it HAS to get serious. What I saw at E3 was only half that.

I want more. We need more. It's all in how Nintendo promotes itself. And it does a horrible job of that.

I apologize if I've been sounding a bit negative as of late, and honestly, I'm actually stoked about the launch lineup/window of the Wii U (there's SEVEN games I want!)...

But man, gotta promote yourself as a serious contender, Nintendo. >_<
Muh Backloggery!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »
I feel like every tech company sees it's stocks dropping after big press conferences/annoucnements. It certainly happens to Apple a lot. I wouldn't use the stock price as a metric for how well E3 went.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
No need to worry. E3 is only for investors!  It's not for the fans!  Surely what Nintendo announced will please investors, as it was clearly meant for them!

WAITAMINUTE
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
I wanted to say something really smart, but Lindy nailed it.

This **** isn't news. Stocks can bounce a couple percent for no reason other than some computers playing poker against each other using stocks as chips.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Tennindo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
I understand where ppl are coming from. the lack of many Wii U titles was present but at least they showed us what we will have at launch. At least I hope.
My main problem was how they just shoved 3DS off. Nothing new at all. Just the same games we seen Last year.  Really Nintendo? You could have at least given us something new to dream about, and Why is NSMB2 coming out b4 any of the games you announced at last years E3.. I want Animal Crossing dammit!!!!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »
Like Lindy, I find the total 180 from some on this site amusing.

Nintendo puts out a bad E3 press conference:

"Hey, the conference wasn't for us!  It was for the investors and the other people who don't generally follow gaming!  That's the stuff they love!"

Nintendo Investors sell off their stock:

"Well what do those investors know?  They wanted Nintendo to develop for mobile phones!  What they think and want isn't really important!"

It was a bad press conference that failed to live up to probably anyone's expectations (and was just terrible in general).  Nintendo's stock deserved to plunge as a result.  It'll probably tick back up once Golden Showers releases and people let nostalgia take over.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
Think that's bad what about the WII? Were any titles at E3?  Last Story is about to ship and DQX could have at least been in a two second reel.

And then the press should have an IQ test--read a couple of reports about Nintendo's new tablet accessory for the WII--and that's coming from people who attended the show?  Guess they must have dozen off or was to busy playing Angry Birds in Space on their freaking cell phones.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:36:13 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »
Stocks rise and fall all the time. If someone starts just a rumor that Nintendo is buying, say, Capcom, stocks of both companies would rise dramatically. Just on a rumor, not a real announcement.
So I herd Nintendo is buying Capcom...

True story.
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »
So basically this is just a repeat of E3 2011.

I'm glad Nintendo's stocks are taking a blow. Its been obvious over these last few years that Nintendo doesn't care what core gamers think, but I know they do care what their stockholders think... so this should get their attention. When a few people on a fan site complain about the lack of games Nintendo doesn't give a ****, but when the stockholders dump their stock, now they'll give a ****.

It doesn't happen often, but this time at least I think the stockholders are right on the money. They were wrong about Nintendo needing to go third party and support Android and Ipad, but this time they are dead right. The more we learn about the Wii U the more its looking like its doomed to failure. Its like Nintendo went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make the console look exactly the same as the Wii, and the name "Wii U"? Yeah, how could that possibly get people confused? I'm sure consumers will look at the Wii U and immediately know its something different from the Wiis that are gathering dust in their living rooms.

I don't know if Nintendo has noticed or not, but Wii system and software sales have seen a sharp decline these last few years. The fad is wearing off.... no one cares anymore. So how do they respond to a declining fad? They pump out more of the same. Am I the only one who can already see how this is going to go very wrong? Apparently the investors agree. The Wii fad is over. This isn't 2007 anymore.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:40:13 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »
It's just stocks, but this time I think Nintendo deserves to have their stocks falling after how disappointing this E3 was. At least Nintendo's own show this fall should be good. Seems like Nintendo doesn't care for E3 anymore.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
The exact same thing would have happened if Nintendo showed more games, even big guns like Zelda and Smash Bros. Investors aren't "dumping stocks" so much as they're "playing the stock market." This happens to Apple too. You know, most-valuable-company-in-the-world Apple. There's nothing to see here. Move along, people.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:36 AM »
Thankfully, Nintendo's never seemed to be the type of company to worry too much about the price of stocks or investors.  I believe that the vast majority of the company is still held within the family, so I don't think they're too concerned about any kind of uprising.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.